Placenta plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering what other mamas were planning to do with the placenta?  After my first son's birth we froze it until we were ready to plant it under a tree (he was born in the middle of winter, so we waited until spring).  My midwife and I have been discussing the idea of freezing small chunks of the placenta this time and then adding them to smoothies for me to eat in the first couple weeks after the birth.  My midwife thought that frozen chunks would retain their nutrients better than dried capsules (which I would have to make myself if I went that route and that sounds like a real pain to do).  I have to admit that I am still a little squeamish about the idea of placenta smoothies, but I know it will probably make me feel a lot better.  What are you planning to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

I was planning to donate mine for stem cell research, but I recently found out that San Francisco stem cell banks are actually full from donations, so now they just throw them in the hazardous waste bin if you choose that route. So I guess hazardous waste it is. :(

#3 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM

I was going to do encapsulation, but the woman in my area who provides the service charges 100 dollars less for "fresh preparation." Not sure what that entails, but basically it means I'd be eating it in chunks, like you, the first 14 days after the birth.

I'm a little grossed out by it too, I admit. But I've struggled with pretty severe depression in my life, and I'm really anxious about my high risk of PPD. Anything that offers a glimmer of hope of avoiding it, I'll do it, no matter how gross. :)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#4 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM

my mw's assistant will be encapsulating mine.  I'd prefer to go the "whole & fresh" route but I don't trust myself to make smoothies regularly and even if I did, I know I'd get tired of them.  with the capsules I can just add them to my pill case with my prenatal & DHA and I'll be set.  I don't think I'm at an increased risk for PPD but i'd rather take an ounce of prevention than find out thumb.gif

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#5 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM

I haven't decided yet.  My former midwife offered to encapsulate it for $50...  but we just moved and I think it costs quite a bit more here.  And we really don't have any extra money due to the move.  I don't think I could stomach eating it in smoothies...  and there is NO chance of me convincing DH to cut it up for me.  lol.gif  

I'm thinking of burying it in one of my mom's flower gardens.  She'll probably roll her eyes, but I don't like the idea of just throwing it in the dumpster.

#6 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I found this discussion about smoothie recipes.  Since I love smoothies anyway, I am hoping this will be easy yummy.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/935130/placenta-smoothie-recipes

#7 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM

It's really not as gross as you think.  Something about it just seemed natural to me- probably because almost every single mammal species eats their placenta after birth.  Last time around I started with a fresh chunk right after delivery and I barely bled at all.  My MW and OB still remember being amazed at how little I bled.  DH cut 1/2 into chunks that I ate in the first two weeks and then dried the rest at a low temp for encapsulation and I took those for at least 2-3 weeks more.  I never had PPD, night sweats, acne or any of the lovely pp hormonal probs and I tend to chalk it up to the placenta (and a good pp iron & vitamin rich diet).  I plan to do the same thing again except MIL will be here so who knows how I will do it without her snooping- and then sharing with the whole huge family...

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#8 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Probably it will end up in the freezer next to DS2s (which will be three years old at the end of the month, LOL!). We intend to plant it somewhere, it just never quite happens.... :P

#9 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM

II did it last time and it was not an issue. A few notes. make sure you use berries so the color is not off. and make sure it is nice and cold.  I think i had too much at a  time and it was a little minerally when it sat for too long. Other wise i plan to do it again.

yummy.gif

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#10 of 28 Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM

I experienced really bad PPD after #1, so I went the encapsulation route after #2. I payed $250 for the service and I would willingly pay more to do it since I really feel it helped during my entire recovery and overall mood. We moved from CO to CA when #2 was 3 weeks old, and despite all of the changes happening at that time I was able to keep a level head. I don't know if I was just in a better place mentally, or if it was my "happy pills." Unfortunately, most of my pills were destroyed during our move (someone put the container in the ice chest and water got in a dissolved most of the gelatin capsules). 

My midwives with this baby offer placenta encapsulation as part of their general services, and I am SO going to take them up on it. I'm a lot squeamish about the whole & fresh route, so this works for me! Hopefully soon I'll even be able to take the Placenta Benefits course so I can start helping other women by encapsulating their placentas for them as well. I'm a believer in the powers of the placenta, for sure! LOL.

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#11 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 AM

I really can't afford to pay to do encapsulation, so I may talk DH into letting me do the placenta smoothie (which he may not even care...). We just need to not tell ANY family... I posted the placentabenefits.info website a few months ago on facebook and my mother had a cow. She called it cannibalism. Bubble of peace.... bubble of peace...

I had pretty bad PPD with DD, Rescue Remedy helped some with DS, but I don't have the time/energy to deal with it this time!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 AM

I'm going to be encapsulating mine. I am seriously considering doing the smoothie route the first day or so but I too am really squeamish about it. My friend did a smoothie back in Dec and the person that made it for her didn't blend it enough so she got a chunk of placenta which I think would just be the end of trying it for me but she told me I should, she said she felt totally different after this birth than with her other 2 where she just did encapsulation.

#13 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 06:41 AM

paying $150 (doula discount) for encapsulation.  Can't wait, I hope it helps, I've never done it before.  I also hope to save some to freeze for menopause. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#14 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad so many of you have the encapsulation option.  It would be nice to have both fresh and capsules, but I live in a super tiny, remote town, so there just really isn't that option for me (unless I do it myself).  My midwife will do the fresh prep for me.  At my previous birth this same midwife had told me that she would insist on feeding me a placenta smoothie if I bled a lot, but she was surprised at how little I bled.  I am hoping that the same holds true this time, but would love a little help with the emotional roller-coaster during those first couple weeks.

#15 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM

I am thinking about cutting it into bite size chunks and freezing it and just taking them as pills. There is no one around here that encapsulates and I am not sure I will be up for it.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#16 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM

DD's is still in the freezer and she just turned 4 1/2!!  We don't have room for another, so I think I'm going the encapsulation route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Probably it will end up in the freezer next to DS2s (which will be three years old at the end of the month, LOL!). We intend to plant it somewhere, it just never quite happens.... :P

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#17 of 28 Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Planting mine under a tree if possible. Still worried an animal might dig it up.  Last time we encapsulated it and I read that it added estrogen. I ended up being very estrogen dominant (possibily due to the copper IUD I had) and don't want to take any chances this time.

#18 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM

#19 of 28 Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM

I'd love to try encapsulating this time.  DD #1 was a hospital birth so I was only allowed to view the placenta before it became bio-waste.  With DS (#2) I prepped the placenta myself and cut it into small chunks which I froze and dropped 2-3 at a time into warm water to soften them up and just took 'em like pills.  I felt SO much better after DS than w/ DD.  Baby #2 (another girl) I planned to do the same thing as w/ DS, but I don't think I even got around to taking any.  I *might* have the first couple days, but as of right now...most of the placenta is still in the freezer-after 2 years!

If I can't find a place that will do encapsulation for a price we can afford, than I'll go the same route as w/ DS.

#20 of 28 Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

This is our plan too! Sometime it will happen... We are in a rental, so I want to be in our own place before we plant them, or else get around to taking them to my mom's lovely garden..

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#21 of 28 Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm so sorry I didn't even get to see mine with DD thanks to the docs in the hospital.  I just found out this morning that my Doula does placenta prep but I have to find out what that entails as I don't think she encapsulates.  I'm a tad squeemish about the idea of eating it fresh but am open to talking to her about it to see what it all entails.  I'm not as much worried about PPD but my iron has been rock bottom this entire pregnancy & is non responsive to supplementation so I've really been worried about exhaustion in the weeks after birth if I have much bleeding at all.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#22 of 28 Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

I talked about it again with my midwife this weekend and she said that after I had the first smoothie I would realize how easy it was and wouldn't be squeamish anymore.  She asked me to have snack size sandwich baggies on hand so that I each baggie could have two or three chunks that would be easy to grab and use (and not be frozen together in a huge lump).  She also said she would save the "tree" side of the placenta for us to plant under a tree like we did the first time.

#23 of 28 Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Wow - I'm impressed with how many are even considering it! Awesome.

I plan to do both - fresh and encapsulation. I never even saw either of my first two placentas. It annoys me now but didn't even register as an issue at the time. I'm hoping a few frozen smoothies will just give me a little extra whatever post partum, energy, milk, smooth out the mental roller coaster. Happily, I don't have to worry about my family knowing or not knowing - I don't think they'd be surprised. My sister was a bit taken aback, but like she said, she's never been through any depression, so she sees how that might impact one's choice.

I had a lot of hormonal issues that kept me from conceiving when I wanted to, had to sort of rebuild from scratch, and that was either caused by or was the cause of really struggling after weaning ds. I hope to freeze the pills and keep them mostly for dealing with all the hormonal fun of weaning this baby, whenever that happens, but I may use them before then if necessary. I need to start calling around for that... Dh would have no problem doing it for me, but it just seems nicer for all involved if someone with experience does it.

Thanks for the recipe link! :)

Still thinking of making a print, too, if possible.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#24 of 28 Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 AM

When I suggested smoothies, DH nearly got sick. He said he'd rather spend the money to get it encapsulated. So, I guess I'm looking for a local person to encapsulate it...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#25 of 28 Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 AM

We planted each of the girls' under trees. Dylan has a Magnolia which is now taller than the shed and last  night when I counted the bloom buds there were 10 of them about to go off! Ava has a Crepe Myrtle.  I don't know what kind of tree this baby will get but we're certainly going to continue the tradition.

My house is wayyyy too small for all of us, though, and we are moving anyway at the end of the summer. The thing I am saddest about leaving behind is the placenta trees. We are just renting the house out for now, not selling, so we haven't lost them entirely but that's probably on the horizon.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#26 of 28 Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM

For those of you planning to donate your placentas and being told they had more than they could use.... 

....while stalking the April DDC babies as per Elonwy's suggestion ;), I was reading one of their placenta threads, and a mama on there was donating her placenta to a local police department for use in training their cadaver dogs. I'd never heard of such an option, but she has family members that are police officers. So there might be other donation options, if you were interested in them. Just thought I'd toss that out there...

Found a doula who encapsulates for $250, so we'll see. She also makes a "tree of life" print of the placenta and cord before the encapsulation, which is cool, since I was hoping for that this time. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#27 of 28 Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM

A note for those thinking of consuming some fresh- while it didn't bother me (too much) what I was eating, I think I would have personally had a problem if the process was prolonged, kwim?  I really don't think a smoothie was for me because it would have taken awhile to get down and I would be thinking about it the whole time.  DH froze 1/2 my placenta in small pill-sized chunks and I would thaw them a few minutes so I wasn't swallowing ice and then just toss it back and chase with water/juice/milk.  I just think it was easier to think of it/treat it as a medicine and not a food.  I got to a point where I just couldn't do that anymore (fortunately I had finished the frozen chunks after about 1.5w?) and then took the rest encapsulated.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#28 of 28 Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM

We got a hole dug on the side of our garage for it's final resting place (hopefully.) A bit worried about a dog coming by and digging it up but hopefully that doesn't happen. DH is going to put a cement block over the resting place to hopefully be a discourager. Wish our yard was fenced in.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page