April 15-21 Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
Aww man, I just can't do anything but complain!  Sorry!  At least if I do it here, my DH and other people I'm around don't have to hear it!  Overall, I'm really blessed and happy.  I appreciate all the support here, and CAN'T WAIT to start hearing some birth stories!  Let's go people!

yeahthat.gif

I also can't believe we don't have any birth stories yet! I went in for an OMM (osteopathic medical manipulation) appointment on Monday (first time every - was really cool and felt great). She said my sacrum was a little locked on the right side, and did something really cool to my diaphram - I feel quite balanced now. She said her "body sense" said I wasn't quite ready and still had a little time. So I scheduled a pregnancy massage for tomorrow morning (gift certificate from one of my awesome staff) and plan on scheduling a pedicure for Friday. I'm also buying flowers for myself every week for my desk at work. I'm feeling QUITE decadent - this is very unlike me - but I love it.  Quite a difference between being pregnant in my twenties with DD1 living on $700/month - I feel like such the mature sophisticate now ROTFLMAO.gif

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#62 of 105 Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM

I'm having kind of a meh day and I just went and stalked the Baby pics thread in the April DDC and feel much better orngtongue.gif

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#63 of 105 Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my perinatologist wants to induce at 39 weeks, which is monday, if i dont go on my own. no surprise there that he is being conservative. baby is measuring small and amniotic fluid is a little low. with my crazy OB history i can understand him wanting to be conservative. still not happy about it! i really hope i go on my own. T -6 days and counting!

the upside to that is the pregnancy will finally be over! i've been at home since 18 weeks and these past few months have taken lots out of me. from the "ow my achin hips!" to the preeclampsia scares and viral illnesses (hubby just gifted me with yet another viral illness. im coughing up phlegm and peeing while i do it LOL! ) my ability to do much/get around is severely limited. i am tired of feeling handicapped and want to be able bodied again!

good news: husband is finishing pharmacy school and after much searching for a job (i was home filling out application after application online for him. i sent out well over 50) we found one! it will pay much more than we expected, and we will be moving to a little ski town in new mexico which is really exciting. a new adventure.

news that makes me nervous: hubby wants to go to a vipassana retreat when baby is just a couple of weeks old, inbetween the time of his last rotation and his week+ that he has to spend in erie, pa for his school graduation stuff. the retreat is 10 days long. so he will be gone almost three weeks, leaving me with a newborn, our seven year old and my mother in law (who is less helpful than one might imagine).

i told him im not happy about it for me, but that i *know* this retreat will really help him and he did just complete a HUGE thing going to pharmacy school and is about to embark on his new career. i want to be supportive, but im scared! any mommas who can tell me stories of mommas who can do all of this alone?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#64 of 105 Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post

I'm feeling QUITE decadent - this is very unlike me - but I love it.  Quite a difference between being pregnant in my twenties with DD1 living on $700/month - I feel like such the mature sophisticate now ROTFLMAO.gif

Heehee! If I could, I would, so be decadent for the rest of us!! :) Buy yourself some awesome chocolate this week with your flowers. I've been decadent mentally - and I did get myself a milkshake today and denied my children, but that felt more mean than decadent. duck.gif Even worse, I did that planning to get a small ice cream thing for dd and a dairy free option for ds at the store - and totally forgot. Maybe tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

I'm having kind of a meh day and I just went and stalked the Baby pics thread in the April DDC and feel much better orngtongue.gif

Oooh... excellent notion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post

my perinatologist wants to induce at 39 weeks, which is monday,

i want to be supportive, but im scared! any mommas who can tell me stories of mommas who can do all of this alone?

Scary with the induction, but you sound like you're looking at it in a positive light!! I hope you go on your own, and if that doesn't happen, I really hope everything goes very smoothly for you!!

You know, minus the mother in law, I'd feel good about doing that alone, but I don't know the whole story. Dh will probably only be home for one week - give or take a day - after my LO decides to roll in, and the kids and I will likely be on our own for a week or two, depending on when I tell my mom to go ahead and get a ticket. The only thing I'm worried about during that time is having enough food prepared for the kids and I to eat - because cooking and grocery shopping are NOT going to be on my to do list. But I homeschool, so I don't have to do the morning run-around with getting anyone up and ready, or pick up anyone later. I freely admit that we will be doing a LOT of movie watching that week, but our lessons are set up right now to be in super low-key mode that the kids can do without a lot of help from me and in a couple of hours or so a day. Plus my kids are just a bit older - they can do some basic food preparation and they have each other to play with too which helps fend off grouchiness.

Is your MIL particularly ... difficult? Or just not much help?

geekgolightly likes this.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#65 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post

Scary with the induction, but you sound like you're looking at it in a positive light!! I hope you go on your own, and if that doesn't happen, I really hope everything goes very smoothly for you!!

You know, minus the mother in law, I'd feel good about doing that alone, but I don't know the whole story. Dh will probably only be home for one week - give or take a day - after my LO decides to roll in, and the kids and I will likely be on our own for a week or two, depending on when I tell my mom to go ahead and get a ticket. The only thing I'm worried about during that time is having enough food prepared for the kids and I to eat - because cooking and grocery shopping are NOT going to be on my to do list. But I homeschool, so I don't have to do the morning run-around with getting anyone up and ready, or pick up anyone later. I freely admit that we will be doing a LOT of movie watching that week, but our lessons are set up right now to be in super low-key mode that the kids can do without a lot of help from me and in a couple of hours or so a day. Plus my kids are just a bit older - they can do some basic food preparation and they have each other to play with too which helps fend off grouchiness.

Is your MIL particularly ... difficult? Or just not much help?

Thanks! What does your husband do that he has to take off so soon after birth? Is he military?

I should start planning things that I can do to help my 7 year old get through this without resenting baby too much. Netflicks and Redbox will be good friends I suspect! Ensuring good food, as well as making sure all the bills are paid so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. Making sure the house is organized (asking hubby to assist/complete this process while I deal with my one week old and body recovery).

My mother in law is highly critical and puts me on edge. We have been living with her since last July, and I say nothing in order to keep the peace. She tut tuts all decsiions, she is never truly happy for us, despite the obvious desire to connect with us, she can't seem to let herself go enough to actually connect. She begged and begged for us to come stay with her while DH completed his degree this final year as she missed our DS so much, but hasn't had more than a handful of outings with him.

Example of criticisms that occur: When DH found out he was getting this job, MIL did the appropriate YAY's and Hurrah's for about a minute and said what a relief and then not two minutes later laid into me about how DH need to improve his handwriting so no mistakes are made and kept on about it for longer than she was ever happy about him getting a job. First I am not DH and I am not going pass on her criticism of his handwriting bc my MIL feels that I should. Second she has already brought this up with him numerous times over the past month. Why vbring it up again as soon as he accomplishes something? She has always been after him to DO SOMETHING with his life. Finally, he applies, is admitted and completes pharmacy school and then gets a job as a pharmacist in a beautiful ski town (she loves to ski and is planning on visiting) and she has to get on him about handwirting within minutes of finding out this great news.

She is like this all. the. time.

And she has no idea! In her version of life, she is the very supportive and giving mother. She has "let us" stay with her this year. We pay all of the bills, and were also perfectly happy to stay in Erie the final year, but she said, "Oh, I lost my job please come down and stay with me. I miss my grandson and it would help to have to share the bills."

So here I am in her house, about to be alone with her and a newborn and my DS. I know that everything she may do for me or the newborn or DS will be writ in blood. And if I fend her off then I am ungrateful, but if I accept, what pound of flesh will she extract later?

eep.

#66 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 03:02 AM

oh boy... final stretch for a lot of us...

sounds like there's something in the air - it's not just that we're hugely pregnant and irritated - we're truly dealing with some real characters!

I'm dealing with mildly elevated BP (10 point change in diastolic BP) and my midwife FREAKING about pre-e... it's like her personality changed and she's not the woman we hired, she and DP are REALLY at odds and he's a non-negotiable part of my birth - she didn't even want to come to my house for the second visit last week (to re-check BP, do a urine protein pee stick, etc) - I had to go to her (and she does home visits the ENTIRE pregnancy, not just after 36 weeks) - the whole thing has been pretty stressful, and all after she ordered me to stop stressing (made me take 3 days off of work, which was actually MORE stressful than working)  I was given the option of being sent to a high-risk OB where they would almost-surely induce me (hospitals and their interventions are very scary to me - feels like one of the worst things that could happen), or sign a risk waiver and get the tests done at a lab w/my midwife - I had the hepatic function and uric acid done Friday, submitted my 24-hr urine sample Sat., and haven't really heard from the midwife. (Which, in this case, no news is probably good news - after the lectures she gave me on how dangerous my condition could be, it would be just plain irresponsible and unprofessional of her NOT to call me if she got labs back that indicated pre-e or anything risky... but I know, I know, I should probably call her during the day.)

So I'm not sure what to do - I'm nosing around for options - and awaiting those test results... I DID get my GBS results though - negative - YAY!

I still feel wonderful, energetic and spry - random strangers have told me how healthy I look!  I actually got the DIRTIEST look from a pregnant lady I passed on the street... we're probably both around the same due date, except I was walking briskly and energetically (gotta keep in shape for labor!), and she was grabbing her belly and leaning on a friend for support... poor woman looked miserable greensad.gif

I had my last girl scout meeting (in which the 4th &5th grade Junior Troop made onesies and bibs and gifted them to me - totally sweet!) and my notshower, which was mostly family and a handful of friends - I really didn't want to get out of the house and go, but it WAS nice that everyone got together and had a celebration for me and DP - got a few good pieces of loot that were actually on the registry too! (moby wrap, skip-hop pronto changing stations, wet bag, plus some blankets, medical supplies, a book, wee little socks, and a couple of toys that weren't on the registry)

I got several lectures from my BIL's mother (very stereotypical NY Jewish Mother!) about "well, you're going to NEED a stroller, what about when the kid is 18 months? they'll be HEAVY! what about when s/he's 3 and wants to take a nap!?" and "you're going to need more clothes, lots of sweaters, May and June are COLD, that baby needs to stay WARM!" and "oh, trust me, you'll want a crib" and "you CAN'T give a baby a bath in the SINK!"  I know she means well, but... eyesroll.gif

In other news, I'm anxiously awaiting contractions!  I haven't had any yet... that I know of (I suppose they're one of those things you *know* when you're actually having one?) - I'm pretty sure this kiddo's not coming out until May 3rd or so, even though I'm officially full term as of last Thursday!  I asked the midwife to do a cervix check - she said my cervix is REALLY soft (thank you EPO!), but still high, back and completely closed.

#67 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 AM

punkelmo, you could go to a pharmacy, if you're curious, and buy some reagent strips.

#68 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 AM

Wow, it's the whole gamut of good news and annoyances...!!

geekgolightly, congrats on your upcoming move!  It sounds like it will be really positive to get some space from your MIL :)  I don't have any experience in parenting on my own  but it sounds like your plan of having DH get the house, bills, food in order before he goes is a good one...you and kiddos can then just focus on being together and getting proper rest and food.  Would MIL take to a list from DH for things she can cook/do?  Maybe some gentle guidance would bring out that "I really want to help" spirit she demonstrated when she asked you guys to live with her this year.

*hug* for jr'smom.  I am so sorry for your loss, and that it is feeling fresh again now with baby's imminent arrival.

Both of you touched on something I am feeling lately (and feeling surprised about)...the whole idea of rolling with the punches a bit re: c-section/induction and just getting to baby.  My kiddo is head down now, which is great, but as expected at my 38 week appointment we saw some upward creep in my BP.  It's still nothing the midwife is that concerned about but I always worry I will hit that ceiling of concern, kwim?  But this time around I'm kinda like "well, what will be wil be" and not worrying about it so much.  I just want to meet this baby and not be preggo anymore.  It's very odd for me to be so willing to let go of the ideal - maybe deep dowqn I know that everything will be fine?  I dunno.

punkelmo, I'm sorry your midwife is freaking out.  It's interesting to see different levels of tolerance - both my numbers have jumped about 10 points but my midwife isn't concerned about it.  I was 131/82 (or 132/81, can't remember) on Monday.  It's normal for me to jump from 120s/70s to 130s/80s in late pregnancy, and it's never been associated with spilling protein or excessive swelling (I swell from 20 weeks onward, so my ankles will look like they do now no matter how good my BP is, LOL!).

#69 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Geekgolightly- good luck!

Jr's mom- hug2.gif I don't always get along with my mom, but couldn't imagine being without her. Praying you find comfort!

Punkelmo- that would have me irked. Hoping you get good answers!

AFM- I keep having rough evenings. Around 5-6pm, I start feeling really "birthy". BH contractions, funny cervical feelings, and I get distracted from whatever I'm doing. Last night I had a breakdown while playing a game with DH (Magic: The Gathering--yeah we're nerds). I couldn't figure out what it was I was wanting to do and just broke down. It was 10:30, kids were finishing up a movie and he said, "Go to bed." I didn't want to, but he sent me to bed and told me to listen to my hypnobabies tracks. I always wake up feeling better, but this is the third time it's happened at night this week. It's really getting old. I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow... I have another 3-4 weeks of this! irked.gif

I can't get my hopes up that I'm getting birth-ready, because I went 41 weeks with my first, had a c-section at 37.5 weeks with my second... I could be another month... OK I need to stop before I start crying. I've got too much to do to be depressed today. My sister and I are getting a bunch of cleaning done today!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#70 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 AM

geekgolightly- Your MIL sounds like mine. ugh.  I am excited by the prospects of our first May DDC baby!  Hope you go into labor on your own!

I can not belelive how close we are all getting!!!!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#71 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 AM

yup, we did one of those at the MW's house last Friday... she was happy that it said minor minor trace of protein (as opposed to massive amounts of protein), but since it wasn't ZERO, we went for the 24-hr pee in a jug test (which was OH so fun... hi, I'm here for brunch, don't mind this giant orange jug of PEE that I have to keep in your fridge and use every time I need to go to the bathroom!) lol!

Quote:

punkelmo, you could go to a pharmacy, if you're curious, and buy some reagent strips.

#72 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Geekgolightly - here is a link to a not so bad induction story... http://lplusjequals.com/2010/12/

Induction can mean many things, so research research research and come up with a game plan to start with as low an intervention as you can - who knows!  Hoping things go well for you mama.

I'm feeling ready ready ready... encouraging and breathing into any cramps I get.  I picked up some birth snacks yesterday and had my work shower.  I haven't unpacked the cuteness.  I actually have a friend coming to visit and distract this weekend which is great.  I could use a little bit more time to putter around with work stuff but I'm not really under the gun anymore.  Most big things are done.

I don't want to be this big anymore!  Holy moly!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#73 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Well, one of my good friends' water broke this morning. She's due May 6th, but isn't registered on here. 

I'm excited for her and praying for her and baby, but have to admit, I'm a little jealous! :) Just so sick of pregnancy. This will be her first child.

Hubby tells me this morning that I should go into labor because he wants a vacation. lol.gif

I'm like sorry, I can't make her do anything she doesn't want to. We just have to wait. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#74 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Reelgeek- I work downtown so I get much less crazy, but there is a homeless guy on the corner near my building (that's his "job" and he is there every day) who is constantly full of advice on how to make sure my baby doesn't turn out like him. Which is sweet, I guess, but kind of disturbing. I have also gotten random ones of panhandlers telling me the sex or fortune of the baby and then demanding payment even though I'm not participating in the conversation with them. Such a colorful city. Do you take BART or Muni? I starting driving to work this week cause a woman basically hip checked me on BART to get to a seat before I could sit down and I just couldn't deal with the rudeness anymore. 

I work downtown too, but I live in the Mission, so I get lots of crazy there. :)

I take BART and I'm constantly surprised at how rude people are, and how rarely does anyone offer me or the other pregnant ladies I see a seat. I was telling my husband that I think I have gravitational pull now for how often people just walk straight into me. It's like they're hypnotized by my belly. Yesterday a totally decked out Giants fan yelled, "GO GIANTS! NICE BELLY!" at me as I walked back to the office from lunch though, so that was at least funny.

I'm Canadian, here on a greencard and have a militant politeness that I expect others to adhere to. I've told people to get out of their seats to give them to the elderly and to people holding babies before on the train/bus. Soon I'm just going to have to advocate for myself. "Oh don't mind me, I'm just 9 months pregnant..."  ;)

#75 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM

geekgolightly:  You're sooooo close!  Are you doing any natural induction methods to try to push things along?  Very exciting!!!

punkelmo:  I can only imagine lugging around a jug of urine... hahahaha!!!  Hoping no news is GOOD news!

becca:  I've been having a hard time, too!  But I'm the opposite - I get so weepy/overwhelmed at the thought of this baby coming and not having everything ready here.  When I get BH and have moments of being really uncomfortable at night I just keep thinking that I NEED more time...  DS came at 38.5 weeks, so I keep thinking I only have 4 more weeks and I start to panic.  This move has really been emotional for me!

Last night DH brought me home some buffalo chicken pizza - sooooo yummy!  But I had a feeling it would be a bad idea to eat so close to bedtime, and sure enough I got heartburn for the first time.  I struggled with it all through the night and it was still lingering this morning.  Hoping it was just the pizza and not something that's going to stick around for the next few weeks.  Unpacking is coming along and hopefully I'll get it all finished this weekend before Easter.  My mom is planning on coming into town on Friday to help me hang up all my paintings and finish up.  I can't wait!

#76 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

I work downtown too, but I live in the Mission, so I get lots of crazy there. :)

I take BART and I'm constantly surprised at how rude people are, and how rarely does anyone offer me or the other pregnant ladies I see a seat. I was telling my husband that I think I have gravitational pull now for how often people just walk straight into me. It's like they're hypnotized by my belly. Yesterday a totally decked out Giants fan yelled, "GO GIANTS! NICE BELLY!" at me as I walked back to the office from lunch though, so that was at least funny.

I'm Canadian, here on a greencard and have a militant politeness that I expect others to adhere to. I've told people to get out of their seats to give them to the elderly and to people holding babies before on the train/bus. Soon I'm just going to have to advocate for myself. "Oh don't mind me, I'm just 9 months pregnant..."  ;)

I live in Alameda, which is a really quiet chill place to live, so get very little nuttiness near home base. I have to say that I don't really care for sports but I really like the Giants fans for the most part. The parade started around the corner from my office, which was really sweet. 

I took BART last night and had a woman barrel by me and take up two seats with her stuff (the seats I was obviously waddling towards) and then turn and glare at me. I am so over it. I have a week and a half left of coming to work and I am just going to drive every day even if it means parking twice on Tuesdays. I stay late in the city Tues to take a class near Market & 4th which is a crappy area to park, but my patience with rude people on transit is just GONE. 

I'm from Hi, so I also grew up around really polite people. Everybody is mellow and nice to each other and polite to strangers. Even living in California for 16 years hasn't made my urge to be polite go away, but man it can be a struggle sometimes. hehe.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#77 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM

You ladies are making me miss home.  I grew up in the bay area (peninsula/silicon valley), but spent a lot of time in the city, especially my last few years of High School and when I go back to visit!

I guess I don't have a gauge as a pregnant lady trying to get around SF, but... in general, if you think SF/bay area peeps are crazy and rude, do NOT come to NYC... omg.  I can't tell you how many times I've stood up for a 45min subway ride or been pushed out of the way by a healthy looking male in his 20's or some girl who's wearing too-tall heels and can't stand up properly or an obese person who takes up 3 seats (when they generally COULD only take up 2, just sayin') - I've even had people STARE at my belly the whole time they're sitting down and I'm standing up, or make comments about pregnancy and not offer their seat.

I'm really fortunate to feel healthy and energetic during my pregnancy, and I'd totally ask for a seat if I needed one, but I often wonder wtf these people's parents taught them!?  

I'll admit that I refuse to offer my seat to people with gigantic strollers (pretty much anything larger than an umbrella stroller is obnoxious and potentially dangerous on the subway, and ALL strollers are supposed to be folded and carried on the train per MTA rules), but old people, pregnant ladies, people with kids that fit in their lap, etc... they get my seat, it's just the right thing to do! *sigh*

okay, done ranting, sorry!

Quote:
I took BART last night and had a woman barrel by me and take up two seats with her stuff (the seats I was obviously waddling towards) and then turn and glare at me. I am so over it. ...my patience with rude people on transit is just GONE. 

I'm from Hi, so I also grew up around really polite people. Everybody is mellow and nice to each other and polite to strangers. Even living in California for 16 years hasn't made my urge to be polite go away, but man it can be a struggle sometimes. hehe.

#78 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Wow, I envy you ladies with small babies!  :)  Mine are big.  #1 DD was 4 weeks early 7lbs 4oz, #2 DS @40wks 9lbs, #3 DD @39wks 8lbs 2oz.  This baby is huge.  My midwife is AWESOME at guesstimating weight.  Right now she's guessing we're already to 6.5 pounds & I'm 35weeks.  But I'm only measuring 32wks.  This little one does not have much room in there!!

#79 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM

got my lab results back - I don't have pre-e. (can I say "DUH!" or does that seem too cynical?  I knew it all along, didn't need to pay $100+ in lab fees, but oh well, it makes the midwives/docs happy.)

My midwife wants to take my BP again, see where it is, she's still not sure she feels comfortable with the BP, and she's still asking me to come to HER place for my appointment (when ALL of her visits are normally done in the clients' home - and I'm at 38 weeks tomorrow).

it also concerns me that I had the hepatic function test and uric acid done on Fri, and submitted the 24hr urine test on Sat., and I hadn't heard from the midwife since Sat., so I finally sucked it up and called her and left a message asking if she'd gotten my lab results, and, gee, wow, strange coincidence, she got them 5min before I called. headscratch.gif

#80 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM

My friend had her baby. Yey! :D LOL

So, now there's someone due in May that had a baby. Even if not on the DDC. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#81 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

PunkElmo, my bp went up w/ Z (a good amount too! my usual is 110/60 and they were seeing 130/80 or something) and it was like that for the whole last 4 weeks of pregnancy, at least. My ob/gyn was totally okay with it, they just 'monitored' it and warned me that if I had a ton of other symptoms they might induce, but that it wasn't that weird, etc. I had some protein in my urine, some edema, but it at least stayed the same and didn't get worse, etc. I'm surprised your MW is freaking about it so much!

I am 35 weeks now, so not too much longer though I'm assuming I'm going to go a week late at least again. Although I guess I shouldn't *count* on it smile.gif

I am still biking to work 4 days a week or so (so 80mi a week) so happy that's still easy to do. I carried super high the first time, so it was easy to bike right until the last day, (although it explains why labor took so damn long) this time I thought I'd carry lower so biking might not be as comfy, but baby is still pretty dang high (nice since my jeans all still crazily fit! not nice though if I have another 72 hour labor)

I did pull my groin a little though last week playing ultimate frisbee (not my fault, someone ran into me, but folks usually are more careful around me) so I might not play again this pregnancy, not sure. Its still pretty sore. Luckily biking is fine. I might try running this weekend and see how that is. I really need to start doing a yoga class though!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#82 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Well, I had my 38 week appointment today and I asked her to do an internal because I was curious. They generally don't do internals until 40 weeks, but since I asked! I'm 2 cm dialated and 70% effaced. Baby is at -1 station. My cervix isn't soft yet though, so she suspects I'll have another week at least to go. We shall see! I was 2 cm dialated at 39 weeks with my first baby and 80 percent effaced, so I seem to be following the same pattern.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#83 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM

wow, 72 hours!? I thought my 43 hour labor was long! The first 20 or so weren't too horrible for me, but the last 23 were intense. I was so tired by the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

PunkElmo, my bp went up w/ Z (a good amount too! my usual is 110/60 and they were seeing 130/80 or something) and it was like that for the whole last 4 weeks of pregnancy, at least. My ob/gyn was totally okay with it, they just 'monitored' it and warned me that if I had a ton of other symptoms they might induce, but that it wasn't that weird, etc. I had some protein in my urine, some edema, but it at least stayed the same and didn't get worse, etc. I'm surprised your MW is freaking about it so much!

I am 35 weeks now, so not too much longer though I'm assuming I'm going to go a week late at least again. Although I guess I shouldn't *count* on it smile.gif

I am still biking to work 4 days a week or so (so 80mi a week) so happy that's still easy to do. I carried super high the first time, so it was easy to bike right until the last day, (although it explains why labor took so damn long) this time I thought I'd carry lower so biking might not be as comfy, but baby is still pretty dang high (nice since my jeans all still crazily fit! not nice though if I have another 72 hour labor)

I did pull my groin a little though last week playing ultimate frisbee (not my fault, someone ran into me, but folks usually are more careful around me) so I might not play again this pregnancy, not sure. Its still pretty sore. Luckily biking is fine. I might try running this weekend and see how that is. I really need to start doing a yoga class though!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#84 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

wow, 72 hours!? I thought my 43 hour labor was long! The first 20 or so weren't too horrible for me, but the last 23 were intense. I was so tired by the end!

I got really tired too, luckily though, I got a morphine sleep in the middle (wed night? I went into labor mon night, went to the hospital tuesday night, delivered thurs night) so I got 5 hours of rest in there! For me, the first 24 wasn't too bad (at home, got some sleep in there even, contractions were there and regular but not too painful) the middle part sucked the most - Z was coming down not anterior OR posterior, but with his back along my side, so I got all this bizarre referred hip pain, I guess. He got into a better position by thursday daytime which helped, they started pitocin then as well which helped a bit I guess. But I was like 3-4cm tuesday, when I arrived (I was throwing up a ton, even just water, so figured I was further/closer) and was stuck at 4cm until thurs, basically, I hit 6cm finally thurs night, but then they broke my water and boom! 3 hours later he was born. I even was able to do it naturally which was good since my ob/gyn thinks if I had been numb the pushing might not have worked as well (as it was, being able to feel everything, it took 2 hours almost)

we are *really* hoping this time goes much faster!!! even twice as fast is still a damn long labor, annoyingly smile.gif

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#85 of 105 Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks! What does your husband do that he has to take off so soon after birth? Is he military?

My mother in law is highly critical and puts me on edge.

And she has no idea! In her version of life, she is the very supportive and giving mother. She has "let us" stay with her this year. We pay all of the bills, and were also perfectly happy to stay in Erie the final year, but she said, "Oh, I lost my job please come down and stay with me. I miss my grandson and it would help to have to share the bills."

So here I am in her house, about to be alone with her and a newborn and my DS. I know that everything she may do for me or the newborn or DS will be writ in blood. And if I fend her off then I am ungrateful, but if I accept, what pound of flesh will she extract later?

eep.

Dh is a truck driver - he's gone all week all the time! Lol.. but he is usually home two nights a week right now, so he'll be here for a week or so, then a 5-7 day stretch without him, though he may make the first trip or two 2-4 days if he can. He loves to cook, so I know he'll be leaving us with prepared meals if we eat everything I make before he goes, and then stocking things up when he come back. But still. I may feel awesome and have enough energy and get enough rest to be fine without back-up, but ... I don't want to have to count on that, I want to sit on my butt with a baby in my arms and figure out breastfeeding again and eat and chill and not think about much, you know? But I don't want my mom and dh there at the same time, partly because we'll likely still be in a really small place, and partly because I want her here after he can't be anymore - sort of spread out my support a bit.

I don't want my MIL here AT ALL, as I outlined a chat thread or two ago, but it sounds like you have even more to deal with than I do in that regard! She does have her opinions, but she has learned that sharing the negative ones gets her NOwhere, so that's something. I can barely stand the idea of her being here, no matter how reasonable she's being, because just like you said, her presence = stressed out edginess, and she rarely recognizes that's she's the cause of whatever issue. She really believes she's just trying to make everyone happy, or at least she believes she's acting that way, but not so much. Which of course we don't need post partum! I really feel for you having to deal with that and in her house, as an added bonus. Stay strong! hug2.gif I think my MIL actually listens to me more than she listens to my dh, but that's going way out there and suggesting she both listens AND acts on what she heard, which is frequently not what we said. Such a game you have to play! And keep us updated on the induction stuff!

Jr's Mom - Idk how I missed your comment about the anniversary of losing your mom coming up. I am so sorry. hug2.gif

Punk Elmo - I was always under the impression that women that actually have pre-e felt kind of beat down? Maybe not, but you just sound so full of energy and health! I can't imagine hitting the panic button over a change in BP with nothing else going on! So happy that you don't have that to deal with anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

My friend had her baby. Yey! :D LOL

So, now there's someone due in May that had a baby. Even if not on the DDC. :)

Surely that will act as some kind of catalyst?? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

we are *really* hoping this time goes much faster!!! even twice as fast is still a damn long labor, annoyingly smile.gif

I really REALLY can't imagine. Both my labors were about 7.25 hours. Sure I made it through that without any kind of pain meds or anything, it was like a busy afternoon and then it was over! I don't know how anyone makes it through more than maybe one day of regular labor - with a tub! - and with back labor like I had with dd... I think 7.5 hours would've done me in completely!

AFM - I think I'm still recovering from that stupid food poisoning? I cannot deal with the absurd level of exhaustion lately. When I take a shower, I pretty much have to take it, sit down for ten minutes or so, so I don't fall down, then get more or less ready to go out, take another break, and then eat and take a nap before I can even consider walking out the door. Whatever I want to accomplish, I now realize I will only accomplish half of that on any given day. Oh, and today I felt what so many of you have been dealing with regarding pelvic pain. OUCH. I'm going to try to take a walk tomorrow... I'm thinking that all this extreme tiredness leading to my spending way too much time sitting or sleeping may be causing that, so if I can get even a little activity, plus some more direct sunshine, surely that will be good for me even if the pain doesn't change much!

The baby did at least spin from being posterior, but that lasted a half day, and right now he's transverse if my belly and his hiccups are any indication. I'm just relieved he wasn't settling in yet.

And every time I say "he" like it's a given I'm carrying a boy, I wonder just how silly I'll feel if I'm wrong!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#86 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM

Baby has been head down the last two visits and seems to be liking that position, which is awesome, though based on movement and the bits I can feel the baby seems to love hanging out in transverse. We have some time still though. Lovely variable heartbeat, I was praised for my sloshiness (that I had a good amount of amniotic fluid) and after my next visit we go to weekly!!! Got sent home with birth plan homework. We need to do one for the birth center, which is a long cute one you fill out and then one for the hospital, which they give you a sample for based on your backup hospital (where you go depends on Ins) and help you word it the best way possible to get what you need to across. I am loving my care so much.

#87 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post

I was always under the impression that women that actually have pre-e felt kind of beat down?

Nope.. just FYI, that is what is so scary about Pre-E, you can go from running a marathon one minute to being in organ failure the next.  It's origins are the greek word meaning "lightening".  It can come on quick and be completely asymptomatic.

Blood pressure in pregnancy can be very indicative of problems.  Even if you dont have Pre-E, elevated blood pressure, ESPECIALLY when your bottom is approaching or in triple digits is a big huge red warning flag.  It can be a sign of increased risk or placental abruption, kidney failure, stroke.. etc.  Not trying to be alarmist, but alot of women poo poo blood pressure issues often on these boards and Id like to introduce them to a mom I know that had a stroke and lost her baby and the ability to use half her body.  She was a marathon runner before she got pregnant.  She felt fine.  Her case was obviously extreme.  But it's real and makes me know that as a midwife Ill pay attention to blood pressure.  The other thing about pre-e is we dont know what causes it exactly.  It isnt as if it just happens to people who eat like crap.  Some research says it comes from the dad.. some says it has to do with how the placenta implants, some say it's genetic... we just dont know 100% for sure so even if you do everything "right" if you end up with PIH or Pre-E, it's not anyone's "fault".

PunkElmo, Dunno what your actual blood pressure was, but a 10 pt gain is hopefully something that can be managed and not risk you out.  Glad your tests came back negative.. hope you guys can come up with some plan your midwife feels comfortable with since PIH sucks too.  I think there are a couple ladies in our DDC that are dealing with it as well.

AFM, Things have been busy here.. I try to check in and read what everyone is up to but havent felt much like posting lately.. just kinda nesting and focusing inward.  I cant believe nobody has had their baby yet though!  Today is our homevisit and we have everything ready for baby.. I was going to make dinner for my midwife and her assistant and look forward to getting another visit checked off the list :)

#88 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 AM

elonwy - I love that they praised your sloshiness!!

I had a really beat down day yesterday - I had some minor headachiness, my tummy/uterus/hips/digestion was feeling crappy, my boobs hurt...  I was just basically miserable last night.  I only seem to want to eat yogurt/cottage cheese + fruit.  My DH asked me to eat protein and veggies which I did and immediately regretted it.

I woke up unfortunately feeling just the same - like miserable, sore all over, and unwilling to move.  However, I had to go to a meeting this morning and getting up and out did wonders for me.  I'm going to hit the pool and get a chiro adjustment.  I also made an acupuncture appointment for next week.  Anyone else feeling whiny and crappy?

Made my last work trip to headquarters an hour away today.  ALSO... BOUGHT DEPENDS AND WITCH HAZEL AND PADS.  

Super huge long bulky pads.  guilty.gif  

This was a real moment for me for some reason.  This and the cord clamps I bought.  So this is really happening huh.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#89 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM

I was 132/98 this morning - (baseline of 120-130/90), midwife decided to refer me to a hospital for further risk assessment.

I'm not trying to poo-poo high blood pressure as a serious symptom, but it just doesn't FEEL like anything is wrong - and usually my gut instincts are RIGHT ON... going to a hospital is SUPER scary and stressful for me, especially knowing that they'll definitely want to poke and prod and invade my privacy, probably want to medicate me, and possibly want to induce me.  I'm just not sure if I can handle all that, but at the same time I don't want avoidable risk/danger to my baby or myself.

I'm trying to educate myself more on possible treatments, outcomes, etc... get my "do not consent" paperwork together and my health care proxy for DP before I head to the hospital (since it's non-emergent, according to the midwife, even though she suggested I head over there ASAP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post
Blood pressure in pregnancy can be very indicative of problems.  

PunkElmo, Dunno what your actual blood pressure was, but a 10 pt gain is hopefully something that can be managed and not risk you out.  Glad your tests came back negative.. hope you guys can come up with some plan your midwife feels comfortable with since PIH sucks too.  I think there are a couple ladies in our DDC that are dealing with it as well.

#90 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 AM

I feel like such a stalker. I've been reading and thinking about you ladies, I just haven't really had anything to add.

DH is driving me nuts. Every time I mention to him that I'm having some mildly painful contractions he freaks out and spends the rest of the night asking me if i'm timing them and if it's labor. Yesterday, he posted a conversation we had on Facebook that he thought was funny but it just made everyone think I was having labor start and everyone started calling and asking how I was. I had to make it very clear that from here on out there is to be NOTHING on facebook until I saw it's time to post it and he is not to call a single person until i say I'm ready for that.

grr. boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page