April 15-21 Chat - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

*hug* punkelmo...90 diastolic is the number I've always heard associated with the worry zone for PIH/pre-e, so if you were hitting that and are now creeping from there, it is standard to investigate further.  I will be thinking of you, and I hope you don't see it move up any further than it already has.  Easier said than done but I hope you are able to relax through the stress of the hospital stuff...maybe a chance to practice labor relaxation techniques. Take care and keep us posted as you can.

#92 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Hmm.. a couple weeks ago, my blood pressure started creeping up at my appointments.  The first time it was a wee bit high but not alarmingly so (I want to say 141/89?) and I had trace protein in my urine, so she sent me for bloodwork, and all of that came back okay.  It was a little high the next time too but after laying down, it went down.  On Sunday night when I went to L&D, it was something (130s, I don't remember for sure) over 84... and I commented that that was loser than it's been, so I was happy!  Then yesterday at my appointment it was 132/93... but they didn't recheck it or anything???  It seems odd to me because they were rechecking it when it was LOSER than that.....

I'm wondering if I should call the midwife today and ask if they overlooked that??  Or maybe they're unconcerned since I'll be back next week?  I might just stop at the grocery store when I drop DS off at preschool and check it... and if it's fine, then I probably won't worry about it.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#93 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM

happymamabeth, I am not a medical professional but maybe they are just monitoring it based on your blood results...?  My midwife was telling me last week (I have crept into the 80s diastolic, too) that the diagnosis standard for pre-e here is 2 readings of 140/90 (with the lower number being of higher concern) 6 hours apart, plus elevated liver enzymes.  If your liver enzymes normal and you aren't spilling protein, they may just be in watch and wait mode...?  She also told me that they tend to be a little less concerned when a rest brings the number down (versus resting having no impact).

This is so not my favorite time of pregnancy.  I creep up every time around 38 weeks (so far it's always been that jump into 130s/80s and then stays put there...hopefully I will be threepeating that!) and every time it gets me on edge.

#94 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 PM

I think you're probably right. :)  My liver enzymes were all good, and it did come down with rest last time, etc. etc... and of course she has gone over the other warning signs to look for (and I've had none of them--right upper quadrant pain, headaches, etc.), so I think they figure that I'm being seen frequently enough right now and that it hasn't SHOT up... so I'm probably good.  Oh--and I don't think I've had protein in my urine the last two appointments, so that's good too!  They really only seemed concerned that first time--and I think it was because it was a little high PLUS I had a bit of protein in my urine (but the lab confirmed that it was only a trace amount, not a lot).

I feel better now. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

happymamabeth, I am not a medical professional but maybe they are just monitoring it based on your blood results...?  My midwife was telling me last week (I have crept into the 80s diastolic, too) that the diagnosis standard for pre-e here is 2 readings of 140/90 (with the lower number being of higher concern) 6 hours apart, plus elevated liver enzymes.  If your liver enzymes normal and you aren't spilling protein, they may just be in watch and wait mode...?  She also told me that they tend to be a little less concerned when a rest brings the number down (versus resting having no impact).

This is so not my favorite time of pregnancy.  I creep up every time around 38 weeks (so far it's always been that jump into 130s/80s and then stays put there...hopefully I will be threepeating that!) and every time it gets me on edge.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#95 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM

AFAIK, the official definition of pre-e is 140/90 and 300mg of protein in the urine.

I've had my hepatic function, uric acid, 24hr urine test - they were all normal... I don't have pre-e, "just" hypertension. irked.gif

I'm just... really not wanting to go to the hospital and I have another midwife that wants to take my BP and try some techniques to reduce it, so... yeah, maybe we'll do that first... it's tricky because as much as I trust my instincts and I feel nothing is wrong, I don't want to take unnecessary risks... but I feel like even setting foot in a hospital is a big risk! (yeah, I might be a little extreme on this, I know...)

the total FREAKOUT by my midwife over BP, and the way she's been interacting with myself and DP the past week and stopped coming to my home because she didn't like the way DP was reacting... yeah, that's been pretty dang stressful.  HER home was a ball of stress this morning too - weird energy... nothing would print properly for her or her assistant, they were having login and program issues on the computer, just... strange mojo. *sigh*

Quote:

*hug* punkelmo...90 diastolic is the number I've always heard associated with the worry zone for PIH/pre-e, so if you were hitting that and are now creeping from there, it is standard to investigate further.  I will be thinking of you, and I hope you don't see it move up any further than it already has.  Easier said than done but I hope you are able to relax through the stress of the hospital stuff...maybe a chance to practice labor relaxation techniques. Take care and keep us posted as you can.

#96 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Can you share what you try to bring BP down?  I am keen to try whatever might just keep it where mine is now (like I said, my midwife is fine with where I am right now, but it's nice to feel like I'm doing something to maintain the status quo).

You're right about the BP + proteinuria definition...maybe my midwife was referring to what she would specifically look for if my BP were to jump a bit.  No protein in my urine, so assuming that remained the case, maybe we would just jump to blood test.

I'm sorry you're getting bad vibes from your midwife lately.  It is hard to feel invested in her take on things when you feel like you aren't connecting and don't have that trust between you.  Was it you that was saying your midwife put you on a no-sugar, lower-carb regime a few weeks ago to make sure baby didn't get too big?  That is sticking in my head for some reason - she sounds pretty hard core, kwim?

#97 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm supposed to meet with this other midwife tomorrow to take BP and discuss techniques, etc... I know when I do deep breathing, meditation, something DP calls "circular breathing" (but it's totally different from what I, as a musician, know to be "circular breathing") - those all make me FEEL more relaxed, not sure if they actually help the BP.

At this point it's beyond just getting bad vibes from my midwife... she refused to come to my house (as a homebirth midwife), exhibited some unprofessional behavior, and then risked me out for BP... and she's caused A LOT of stress in my life in the last 10 days... if I were to go into labor tonight (oh geez, let's hope not), my choices are UC or a hospital birth - neither of which sound particularly great to me.

And yes, she put me on a no grains, no sugar, low fat low dairy diet.  I've done low-carb for years and never been a fan of processed grains, but I DO like my EVOO, avocado, flax... full fat dairy (often the low-fat versions have weird fillers), etc... you know, HEALTHY fat.  I actually lost a lb. last week (but gained it back this week) - but she also gave me "permission" to have a treat here and there. oy.

I just don't even know what the right thing is anymore - I think I need to sleep on the idea of going to the hospital, see this other midwife, and do more research.  So far, I've read that they'll probably want to induce me, and I'm not okay with that - I won't consent unless there's an IMMEDIATE danger to myself or the child.

Quote:

Can you share what you try to bring BP down?  I am keen to try whatever might just keep it where mine is now (like I said, my midwife is fine with where I am right now, but it's nice to feel like I'm doing something to maintain the status quo).

I'm sorry you're getting bad vibes from your midwife lately.  It is hard to feel invested in her take on things when you feel like you aren't connecting and don't have that trust between you.  Was it you that was saying your midwife put you on a no-sugar, lower-carb regime a few weeks ago to make sure baby didn't get too big?  That is sticking in my head for some reason - she sounds pretty hard core, kwim?

#98 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM

PunkElmo, it definitely sounds like trying to have a different care provider take your pressure after maybe taking a little time to center yourself and meditate, or whatever you do to relax.. would be totally worth it.  Make sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Ive seen your posts about your care provider and your interactions and that sounds super stressful!  That bottom number should be something you keep an eye on.  If I remember correctly from earlier your normal blood pressure before pregnancy was alot lower, like 120s/70s or less..  so the jump up to 130+ to upper 90s is something its good you are paying attention to...  Everything BluePetals said was right on.  It's that lower number that would honestly freak me the heck out too, as a care provider.  If it's not a once kinda freak thing and can be replicated with time between, then it's a better safe thing.  It's awesome you did the tests and they all looked good.  With all the stress you have had to deal with regarding the relationship with your provider and the relationship between your DP and your provider it's no wonder your upper number is creeping.  I totally believe in trusting your intuition and it sounds like you take good care of yourself and are really trying to tune into your body.  I just posted what I did above because it's such a common misconception about pre-e and since this is the time in pregnancies where it really can start showing up.

Didnt you not really click with this midwife from the beginning?  Hopefully the new midwife will feel more peaceful to you and she gets lower readings as a result.

I really dont like hospitals either, so I totally feel you on that.  I glad you have another option to look into.

It sucks that you are having to deal with this.  ((hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

AFAIK, the official definition of pre-e is 140/90 and 300mg of protein in the urine.

I've had my hepatic function, uric acid, 24hr urine test - they were all normal... I don't have pre-e, "just" hypertension. irked.gif

I'm just... really not wanting to go to the hospital and I have another midwife that wants to take my BP and try some techniques to reduce it, so... yeah, maybe we'll do that first... it's tricky because as much as I trust my instincts and I feel nothing is wrong, I don't want to take unnecessary risks... but I feel like even setting foot in a hospital is a big risk! (yeah, I might be a little extreme on this, I know...)

the total FREAKOUT by my midwife over BP, and the way she's been interacting with myself and DP the past week and stopped coming to my home because she didn't like the way DP was reacting... yeah, that's been pretty dang stressful.  HER home was a ball of stress this morning too - weird energy... nothing would print properly for her or her assistant, they were having login and program issues on the computer, just... strange mojo. *sigh*

#99 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Can you share what you try to bring BP down? 

I tend to run high normal with my BP and had pre-e at the end of my second pregnancy.  Since then, I've used Vitanica's "HBP Blend" supplement also called "Rauwolfia"  during my pregnancies. I haven't had any issues in these last two pregnancies.

Sorry about all you're going through PunkElmo.  I'm a big believer in listening to your body too, but I have to say I was shocked at the end of my 2nd pregnancy when I was told I had pre-e.  I had no idea!  I felt great.  It wasn't detected until I went into labor, so I didn't have to face induction or anything.  I did have to transfer to the hospital (planned homebirth) and choose either Magnesium Sulfate or an epidural to bring my BP down. 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#100 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Big Hugs PunkElmo!!  I have to agree with MamaChef...as I was reading about your MW and the stress that she's been causing you it made me wonder if some of your blood pressure issues are due to that.  I also think that you may have the same reaction in a hospital as you seem all ready stressed about the possibility of having to go to one.  (I have a good friend who would take her BP daily through the week by someone who was in the medical field and it would be normal but everytime at the OB's it would be high, so it's definitely possible).  I also don't see why you need to go low fat...that is something that I don't really agree with personally.  Have you looked at Dr. Brewer's website?  I found a lot of his information insightful for me as a few weeks ago my BP went a bit too high and my MW told me that we just needed to keep an eye on it and I needed to make sure I was eating enough and eating enough protein.  For me, just eating more food was a big help, as I realized I hadn't been taking care of myself, so the increase in food and protein has helped immensely.  (For reference my normal BP is around 115/80 and I went up to I think 130/90...with no other signs or symptoms, and it has gone back down now).  I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this and I hope this other MW turns out to be great!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#101 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM

well, on a lighter note, I had a fabulous day. I went to Costco to get a few groceries, then DS and I headed over to BJ's brewhouse and was able to order gluten free pepperoni pizza. It was fantastic. I even got a diet pepsi to go with it. I know, not the healthiest thing, and I'm actually regretting it now since I had been eating very little grain(helps a ton with heartburn), then silly me, I went to get a prenatal massage with a gift certificate I got a year and a half ago, which was amazing, but I forgot I'd be laying down for an hour, and the heartburn crept up. So, while the massage was relaxing, the heartburn wasn't fun! But, it was 2 hours to myself, while grammy watched DS. Then I went over to a friends house and was able to get a few items of clothing for free. It's 3 shirts that will fit me now and after baby is born, so I'm excited about that. (My uncle is a clothing rep in LA, and my friend has a salon out of her house, and sells clothes and jewelry, but since he's my uncle, I get clothes for free). DS fell asleep in the car on the way home, and we're about to head out to bible study. Hopefully he's not cranky when he wakes up. It's already 5:30 pm here. ugh! Hoping this baby comes soon..drinking some RRL and am going to go get some Evening Primrose Oil on Saturday to help soften things up!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#102 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 PM

PE - 

hug2.gif

Thinking of you.

I hope everything works out.  Deep breathing is excellent.  Make sure you're centered and as relaxed as possible each time they "cuff" you... and know there are home monitors you can pick up if caretakers want to "monitor" things.  You never know if things might normalize by removing stress of caretakers/hospital.  

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#103 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM

MrsBone, sounds like a nice day!  Good for you!

AFM, yesterday the only time I left the house was to get my haircut and I was totally exhausted.  Originally I was going to go into my office for lunchtime meetings with staff, but moved them to tomorrow because I just wanted to rest today.  I feel ridiculous!  I have absolutely no energy and I just sit around all day.  I looked through a few photo albums with my kids, then told them I need a break! 

I'm driving myself crazy not going to work and trying to manage people by phone and email.  Seriously I know I better just back off and accept that I'm officially on maternity leave.  It will make everyone happier.  I haven't quite done that because one of my associate chiropractors is new to my office and I think I need to guide him strongly or he'll develop bad habits and make the whole office unhappy.  Also the office manager is wonderful but has a strong bite.  I'm grateful that I can completely trust her to monitor things while I'm gone, yet afraid she'll make my doctors and other staff quit with all of her nitpicking.  I need to become detached very soon and trust everytiing will go fine.  This is the 4th maternity leave I've had!  It always goes "okay."  I just want it to go great

Tomorrow I'll go in for a final meeting with the new associate and then detach next week.  I need to get into baby-centric mode.

I still have a lot more I want to get done before the baby gets here, but on the other hand, I just want the baby to get here!  We don't even have a name yet! 

Anyone else checking the DDC 10 times a day to see if the first birth announcement has been made yet?  Man, when they start coming, they're going to just be rolling in!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#104 of 105 Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM

I was just thinking about how a couple of us thought that the first announcements would come during this chat thread but apparently not. Well, unless someone posts in the next few hours.

I had two friends have their babies this morning. Both lady babies and both past 41 weeks. One was an induced Vbac and the other was about to risk out of her home birth. So I'm super happy for them. And I have a friend who is getting induced for BP reasons tomorrow. I'm happy for them but man do I wish I was holding my LO

#105 of 105 Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 AM

It DID happen in this chat thread!  Congrats GEEKGOLIGHTLY!!!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page