The stupid/rude/obnoxious things people can say because you are pregnant thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lame-o on your boss's part... every pregnancy is different, and if you or your care provider decided on bedrest, that's that. not her decision. no discussion!

You're making me realize how lucky I am that my boss is almost like a father figure (though he's a little young to be my father, I remind him of his daughter)... so when I had to take 3 days off to rest, he was just worried (although if I hadn't had someone to cover my job, he might've TOTALLY freaked, I'll admit that.)

Nothing too obnoxious today - just generally people seeming to be more excited about impending kiddo than I am (I am tired and just want to get this all over with, mildly anxious about laboring and what the heck contractions will feel like...)... the day's still young though, so we could have all KINDS of fun comments. (HAH!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPop View Post
When I had to quit work to go on bedrest and my boss said " You don't look big enough to quit work yet. I never had to quit work when I was pregnant...those pains are normal with first babies." angry.gif

She also commented that I should feel bad about leaving them shorthanded at such a bad time. I'm not really ashamed to say that I didn't feel the least bit bad. :)

#32 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Ever since I hit 38 weeks, I'm finding it very humorous when people ask me when I'm due. Every single person's eyes have bugged out, and I know they're thinking, "Oh, please don't have this baby right in front of me!" I admit, I snicker inside, and part of me wants to lean over something and start moaning. innocent.gif

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#33 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdunahoo View Post

What I REALLY hate is "oh do you know what you're having" "yup another boy" "oh thats too bad, I'm sure you really wanted a girl. Will you be trying for another then?" 

What's bad is that it doesn't matter what it is people still make comments.  I had my dd first and then my ds, when I was pregnant with ds1 people would ask if we were done having kids now that we had one of each...I didn't realize that that was a perfect family and I should stopangry.gif  It's really a lose/lose situation no matter what with sex of babies and comments.

I haven't gotten many comments this time around fortunately...just people asking if I'm ready to be done.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#34 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 PM

I don't have too many comments about my belly or anything, but I carry pretty small until the last week or so and then I just kind of explode size-wise. :P The thing that bugs me most right now is when someone finds out we that the baby's gender is a surprise, and they say, "Well, you already have one of each, so it doesn't matter." Ugh! Just because we aren't "choosy" about our kids' genders doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. Bah. I try to be nice and tell them that our DD's gender was a surprise as well and we would have been happy whether or not she was a girl--but I'm getting to the point where I don't mind if I'm being nice anymore. :P

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#35 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Tonight someone told me I look like Jello, like the way I got up out of my chair. huh.gif

Thanks dude!

And everyone else just keeps telling me I look very pregnant and/or bigger. I swear I don't remember saying things like this to any of my friends that were pregnant a few years ago. I told them their hair was really shiny or that their belly was so cute! And I meant it!

#36 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i would have slapped that person, honestly. 

mama to 8 year old haye  and 3 year old zao

#37 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

i would have slapped that person, honestly. 

yeahthat.gif

People say dumb things even when you say it's a surprise, it's true. I think people can't really see outside of what they would do in such a situation and are completely shocked you might be doing something different. It's funny, I just drew a comparison to the stupid things people say when I tell them I have Celiac Disease and can't eat gluten like "How can you deal with that, I would just die" (which is comment I got the other day when I said I didn't know the sex). Really, you would die? I think it gives an extra special level of excitement to the birth, which I think is awesome. As far as gluten goes, when people say that I reply with "Well I'll die if I do eat gluten so...." which usually makes them realize they said something kinda dumb. 

I know it's a bit off topic, but I have a point. I think people have a real hard time thinking outside their comfort zone on the spot like that (even though they are often the ones brining it up) and that's what leads to the comments that are borderline insensitive and somewhat ludicrous.

As for people that comment on pregnant women's weight and appearance, well, they are just jerks. I am a snippy comeback kinda person and my filters have been going away steadily all pregnancy. I pity the person that says something like that jello comment to me, seriously. I can tolerate a certain level of stupidity but being openly jerky like that will invoke the wrath of Elonwy. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#38 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 PM

I posted this one awhile back..I think I was 33 weeks pregnant when I had this conversation with a total stranger:

him: oh, you're pregnant?

me: Yes

him: is this your first?

me: No, we have a 2 year old boy

him: oh...same father?

WTF?!! What kind of question is that?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#39 of 49 Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM

hahahahahaha. oh mrs. bone. that is so hilariously obnoxious. what a tool!!!

i've gotten some like that before. :P

#40 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 AM

I was at the grocery store last night, and some creepo looked at my belly and said, "That'll teach ya."

Huh?!?!

#41 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM

what!!!! jaw2.gif

i am becoming increasingly more snarky with this pregnancy...i probably would have said "oh, i'm sorry...you must have never had the chance to have kids with the person that you love." and then shrugged and walked away. what a dick!

ElizabethE likes this.

#42 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

I posted this one awhile back..I think I was 33 weeks pregnant when I had this conversation with a total stranger:

him: oh, you're pregnant?

me: Yes

him: is this your first?

me: No, we have a 2 year old boy

him: oh...same father?

WTF?!! What kind of question is that?

ha ha ha! i get this all the time from medicaid people. they assume the kids have different dads and then when they see that my husband has a different last name they assume that he is another kid with yet another father! no fail.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#43 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Yesterday I was at the mall and got a lot of great comments.  One guy walking by asked "is that real?"  I stared at him for a second and said yeah.  Then he said "it looks like a ball".  Who goes walking around the mall with a ball under their shirt.  I walked past a women and she stops and looks at me and says "oh my gosh!" with a look of shock on her face.  I don't want to go out in public anymore.

#44 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My DH keeps looking strangely at me as he sits next to me while I have been reading this thread.  This thread made me laugh and shake my head because I can't believe people would ask these things.  "Same father?"  What in the world are they thinking?  Walking around the mall with a ball under your shirt.  Oh, yeah, I am sure women do that all the time.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#45 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinhot View Post

Yesterday I was at the mall and got a lot of great comments.  One guy walking by asked "is that real?"  I stared at him for a second and said yeah.  Then he said "it looks like a ball".  Who goes walking around the mall with a ball under their shirt.

This made me laugh! People are so weird!

I too, don't want to go out in public anymore.

#46 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
tzs

i made the call to start hibernating just the other day. problem is, i've got at least a few weeks to go and an increasingly bored toddler. good thing "the backyard" counts as "going out."

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#47 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinhot View Post
 I don't want to go out in public anymore.

That's how I felt yesterday, too. I think I got more comments from strangers yesterday than I have on any other day thus far. 

#48 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Just WOW. Seriously?? I thought I was getting weird commentary!! Now that I'm caught up on this thread, I see that people have been amusing and practically kind in the nosiness I've experienced, comparatively speaking. And no one touches the belly. NO ONE. God help them if they try. Idk if I give off the proper "don't eff with me" vibe somehow, or am just always standing in such a way, but compared to ds (where one much older lady actually tried to *hug* me - I blocked her and said told her I didn't hug totaly strangers, at which point she actually seemed to be insulted... whatever!) I haven't had near the "hands-on" harassment.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#49 of 49 Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm so shocked at the nerve of some people!

The other day I had a lunch with my mom and grandma and my grandmother commented on how great I looked. I mentioned that this is my smallest, healthiest pregnancy. I can even still wear normal t-shirts! My mom pipes in with, "What, 5X?" I said, "No, my normal size." She asks again, "What, 5X?" Dude, seriously? Do you realize how HUGE a 5X would be on someone who wears XL shirts???

Then we had a great day yesterday so go figure... she's weird...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page