I hate my clothes. vent vent vent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spring has been taking its sweet time to come here and there is practically nothing that covers my whole belly anymore.  At this point last pregnancy it was warm enough to wear skirts but now I am stuck (literally) in horrible maternity jeans that are soooo uncomfortable.  Some are too big and I can't keep them up and others just get pushed down to I display not only belly, but crack too.  Plus I do not have any jackets left that will zip or cover the bottom of my belly.  Most of my mat shirts have stains that I can't see from my belly brushing the counter or table.  And my shoes are a little tight.

I refuse to buy anything to wear for a month or less!  Naked would be great or a nice bodysuit for some support that I could pee in without taking it off...

hahaha, am I the only one in clothing hell?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#2 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM

I am down to one pair of uncomfortable pants, one pair of yoga pants that are going to rip any day now, several shirts and 4 tank tops.

The tank tops are still long enough to cover me for the most part so I wear them under the shirts (which aren't) and rotate through the week. I also have 6 pairs of undies, So I do laundry every saturday or more. When I am home all that crap comes off and I run around in a beach cover, which is basically a sarong that is sewn so that it closes with straps to hold it up, which is the most comfortable thing in the world. Not decent in public sadly. 

Part of my counting down to not having to go to work is not having to worry about looking kinda decent. 

Yeah, the stains suck too, I've lost a few shirts to that. I just go for the ones that are the least offensive :P

Don't even get me started on bras. I bought maternity bras that should have kept me through to the end when I went up a cup size in the 1st Tri, but I've gone up two more since then and we're not even at engorgement yet. I have some nursing tanks I plan on living in once the baby gets here though. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#3 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Me too! I have only two pants left that "fit" and they are pretty uncomfortable. The worst part is that I am so darn hot and I only have two short sleeve tops. I don't want to buy anything either this late in the game but I have to admit I did look around for a nice skirt last week and probably would have bought one if the only one available wasn't tie-dye.

#4 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM

No, you are not the only one. My belly is larger than average, it seems, so most of my maternity tops don't cover the belly anymore. I have a couple tank tops that do, so I wear those under the shorter shirts, but it looks kind of silly, and it's kind of hard when you only have two tank tops and don't do laundry every day. I do have two short sleeved shirts that fit, as well, but same problem, I can't keep switching them every two days. I have three pairs of pants that still fit, so I'm okay there.

Only one more week until maternity leave. Then, who cares what I wear at home. smile.gif

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#5 of 18 Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM

Totally in clothing hell with you. Caved in and bought a pair of jeans - happily on clearance - that actually don't make me feel like either my bladder or my baby are being strangled when I sit, which means YES.. I bought the next bigger size.. sigh. And I got yet another nursing tank that almost covers my belly - if those things don't fit after the baby is born I will take them back to where I bought them and throw them at the people working there. Wordlessly. And I got one lightweight t-shirt. NO tees fit me right now - if it covers my belly, it is WAY too loose on top, so I'm hoping this one will mysteriously shrink in the right way when I wash it so I can justify it's existence. I also bought one pair of capris, but to get them big enough that they fit comfortably on top, the effect is more that I bought pants that are just too short than actual capris. Lovely. It would help them look right if I could find some sandals that suited me and were at least a little supportive, but so far, no luck with that. At least they are lighter in weight and cooler than the jeans. I've been looking everywhere for bra extenders, but can't find the right kind. They're all for 3 hook bras, and everyone is sold out of their 2 hook bra extenders. ARGH.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#6 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM

I remember being there at the end of Ava's pregnancy. I started a size 0 and was in XL Maternity by the end! I have stopped wearing underwear already besides the two pairs I bought that I only wear when I am wearing a skirt.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM

ugh.  I so hear you in the clothing dept.  My work pants still fit ok (ish) for the most part but it's the weekend clothes that have a lot to be desired.  I have yet to find a pair of jeans this whole pregnancy that will actually stay.  I pretty much wear trackpants all the time so that I can save my jeans for "special occasions".  lol

It's still super chilly here too & my coats haven't done up for more than a month.  Kind of wishing I'd gone ahead & bought that maternity/babywearing kindercoat after all so that I could have used it now as well as for next fall.

As for bras I am stuffing myself into the nursing bras I bought when DD was a year old.  Needless to say they are busting at the seams & are giving me total back rolls.  Sooooo pretty.  Meh, I suppose I'll have to cave & get some new ones when engorgement kicks in but at that point I plan to wear tank tops or sports bra types as much as possible anyway so I'll have a little more wiggle room on sizing there.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#8 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM

wave.gifyeah.

yoga pants that are too tight: check.

yoga pants that are too loose and fall off: check.

shirts that are too short: check.

shirts or dresses that are stained: check.

pants & jeans with a panel that i can no longer stand to feel over my belly: check.

jeans that are too loose and i can't stop pulling up: check.

pants that are binding and uncomfortable to sit in: check.

nothing feeling truly beautiful...

but i did go out and buy a lovely bamboo stretchy skirt (non-mat) that i can wear under my belly now, and will still fit later. i also found a couple of sport bras at patagonia outlet for only $9, so i was totally happy. i actually fit in their xl size and they are super comfy. not so great for nursing, but was such a good deal, and i was so so so very tired of my old bras. i can also wear them in the tub during birthing. then i went to old navy and allowed myself to get a couple tank tops that are maternity, but can be worn afterward, because they are just cotton ribbed style and long enough to cover my belly now and still fit well later. that little bit of freshening my wardrobe really helped my spirits. love.gif

we just have to hang in there! grouphug.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#9 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

I'm to the point where I basically just wear two pairs of pants in a rotating cycle. And I'm lucky that most of my shirts fit but they almost all are stained either from rubbing up against stuff or because I'm a super klutz now and drop everything I eat on my giant boobs. My husband actually congratulats me when I finish a meal without having dropped anything on my boobs. It's that rare.

#10 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM

I think we should've nicknamed this baby "Crumbcatcher" because that IS the function he's fulfilling at this point. Solid colors are not my friends right now, as they really highlight the stains, but then of course any patterns that hide the stains also triple my perceived size. Brilliant!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#11 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

I'm to the point where I basically just wear two pairs of pants in a rotating cycle. And I'm lucky that most of my shirts fit but they almost all are stained either from rubbing up against stuff or because I'm a super klutz now and drop everything I eat on my giant boobs. My husband actually congratulats me when I finish a meal without having dropped anything on my boobs. It's that rare.

Oh this is so me. 2 pants (and overalls that are comfy, but hard to plan bathroom trips without... accidents) are all I have here. Shirts, same deal a lot get stained and laundry has to be done when DH or DS can help (stairs kill my pelvis, so I can't do it myself til PP) I've just adopted the mantra that it's not much longer now and all will be well soon. :)

#12 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM

I get alot of empire waist dresses instead of pants that way I can wear them after the baby too since empire waisted things are normally flattering on me and they often have necklines that will be great for nursing.  Love maxi dresses since they are so postpartum and regular weight friendly.  I just wear leggings and a open front cardigan with them in the winter to stretch their wearability.  http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=maxi+dress&SearchType=Header 

I hate things that are tight on my stomach and dont do alot of pants in general.  I get the full belly panels for this reason and they seem to be good up till the end for me..  Maybe you ladies could treat yourself to some fun summer and spring dresses you can wear after baby?

#13 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post
I refuse to buy anything to wear for a month or less!  Naked would be great or a nice bodysuit for some support that I could pee in without taking it off...

yeahthat.gif  I'd take anything that I could pee in without taking it off (and somehow not smell like pee, which I do anyway because I have to pee so often and it's harder to reach to wipe, and all the awkward folds are swollen and weird - oh, um... TMI? I'm sure I can't be only one with this problem... lol!)

I've always had a long torso and really hard to fit legs (short, muscular and curvy), so I figured I'd be having a problem at this point with pants staying up and shirts staying down, and I am...

I LOVE the destination maternity shelf-bra tanks - they're the only things that cover my whole belly and a bit more right now, and I wear them with cardigans (that I can't actually button, but they cover my shoulders for work) - I got one, loved it, and got 3 more when I returned a different shirt (that looked totally cute online, but totally weird and grandmaish in person AND didn't cover my belly).

The actual "pant" part of all of my pants seems to ride super low, so the only thing that's keeping me decent is the stretchy belly bands on top, and at this point, I just don't care if they're visible... if anyone wants to complain about how it looks, THEY can carry the kid for me and/or buy/make me some pants that fit better.

I was saying to DP last night that I was actually pretty proud that I managed picked out a versatile set of clothes that should be good for the next pregnancy too...

official maternity wardrobe:

• 2 belly bands (black and white)
  • 3 nursing bras - 2 pretty nice ones from pea in the pod (black & nude), 1 cheapie from Target that already needs a sewing fix (gray)
  • Maternity one-piece swimsuit (can also wear my bikini, since the bottom ties on & is totally adjustable)
  • 2 pairs of corduroys (black and brown)
  • super-fashionable convertible pants/capris w/cool zipper pockets
  • maternity jeans (wish I'd found these earlier - and they're kind of falling off/not sitting right now)
  • 2 solid 3/4 length shirts (bluish and reddish)
  • burgundy/deep purple striped 3/4 sleeve shirt
  • light/dark purple striped shortsleeve shirt
  • gray turtleneck capsleeve cashmere sweater
  • black maternity tights
  • 2 paks of maternity thongs (my old underwear still works, but these fit MUCH better),
  • 4 shelf-bra tanks (2 black [one with cat claw holes], 1 gray, 1 pink
  • maternity dress in burgundy/purple with white "east indian" pattern

non-maternity clothes I've been wearing:

• underwear
  • sports bras (though some are kind of too small at this point)
  • Jackets, sweatshirts, cardigans (not all of these can zip/button - fortunately I had a london fog jacket from before I lost weight a few years ago - that saved me from buying a maternity jacket!)
  • skirts that are stretchy or sit below the belly
  • bathrobe - more like a bath top now.
  • pj pants & sweats - sitting below the belly
  • oversize t-shirts (that aren't so oversize anymore)

oh, and I'm down to about 4 pairs of shoes - my ankles/calves aren't really swollen (they actually look AWESOME!), but my feet are!  I know my feet shrunk when I lost weight a few years ago, so it's no surprise that I put on 25lbs and my feet got bigger - lol!

#14 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

I am always amazed at how much better I feel when I do get something added to my ever so limited wardrobe. I'm loving maxi-dresses right now. I couldn't find any maternity ones, so I just got an Large or Xlarge and it's so comfortable. I have one pair of pants that fit well....and shirts, meh, terrible....I wish I could find some that cover my belly and my boobs - but they don't seem to make them that way, so I'm always hanging out on one end or the other. BUT I'm also 38 weeks pregnant. I shouldn't expect things to fit. Should I?

#15 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM

I'm so there with you guys.  Everything is tight in all the wrong places.  I'm going to make some yoga skirts since I can't bring myself to wear yoga pants in public.  Nice thing is they can be worn after baby comes.  No shirts cover my belly-what is UP with the maternity industry if we're all complaining.  And I'm not really big.  Guess that's the drawback of a long torso.  Got some super  long tanks that I wear under my maternity shirts to cover that last little bit of lower belly.  I'm so tired of feeling huge and uncomfortable.  Its sad, but how I look really affects my mood.  Some days my room is strewn with clothing just trying to find SOMETHING to wear that doesn't make me want to puke.

#16 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

yeahthat.gif  I'd take anything that I could pee in without taking it off (and somehow not smell like pee, which I do anyway because I have to pee so often and it's harder to reach to wipe, and all the awkward folds are swollen and weird - oh, um... TMI? I'm sure I can't be only one with this problem... lol!)

I've always had a long torso and really hard to fit legs (short, muscular and curvy), so I figured I'd be having a problem at this point with pants staying up and shirts staying down, and I am...

Right there with you on all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasslynn View Post

I'm so there with you guys.  Everything is tight in all the wrong places.  I'm going to make some yoga skirts since I can't bring myself to wear yoga pants in public.  Nice thing is they can be worn after baby comes.  No shirts cover my belly-what is UP with the maternity industry if we're all complaining.  And I'm not really big.  Guess that's the drawback of a long torso.  Got some super  long tanks that I wear under my maternity shirts to cover that last little bit of lower belly.  I'm so tired of feeling huge and uncomfortable.  Its sad, but how I look really affects my mood.  Some days my room is strewn with clothing just trying to find SOMETHING to wear that doesn't make me want to puke.

Same here...I'm tired of having only 2 shirts that are long enough...but are a bit big up top, but oh well at least my belly doesn't hang out.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#17 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 AM

I hit up a bag sale at the local parenting center a few weeks ago and got a pile of nice maternity clothes ($5 for a bag of mat and baby clothes, worked out to 2 cents an item) so my wardrobe has had a nice update.

Still, I am down to one pair of jeans (oddly my smallest size ones, but the are Old Navy stretch jeggings so that may explain it). Everything else is either too big and constantly falling down, or bairly squeezes over my widdened hips and thus constantly falling down. Luckly the yoga pants are still holding up (literally) so I am wearing them all the time at home. Shirts. I thought I had only two that covered my lower belly, but found another two at the bottom of the drawer with lots of room. I have a few dresses, but my leggings are pulling my knickers down. And it is freezing here in Chicagoland (it snowed on Monday) so I need to bundle up. Only one bra fits, my Bravado Bliss. I am contemplating buying another one, since I am nursing right now and don't think I will expand very much.

But the PJ pants I could not for the life of me pull on at 8 months last pregnancy fit fine.

Oh well. Just under two weeks until due date so only another month or less.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#18 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM

I have enough clothes that fit me, but it makes it so I have to do laundry more often than I'd like, but yeah, I have very few shirts that actually cover my bell completely. I wear a belly band with pants most of the time, and that covers my belly, so it's not too bad. Baby girl is SUPER low though so even the clothes I wore last time don't cover my belly. I'm getting sick of wearing the same clothes over and over again! I then remind myself that I'm limited in what I can wear whenever I'm breastfeeding too though, so that will be as much of an annoyance to me!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page