Butt pain? Sciatica? Pelvic Girdle pain? SPD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 38 weeks and have pretty bad SPD that I manage reasonably well with PT and general physical restrictions. But in the past week I have really really bad pain in my butt. I thought it was sciatica but now I'm wondering if it's related to the SPD and google is also suggesting pelvic girdle pain.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing. I know I should just go back to PT but I'm so close to the end and getting on their schedule might not be possible not to mind getting my DH to adjust his schedule to accommodate it.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#2 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Is it a really sudden arresting pain that goes away really quickly but can happen a few times in a row? I have that when baby is active and I am walking. It startles me and I have to stop what I'm doing because it's almost like I freeze up and can't move. But it never lasts long, and if I take it easy and change positions it will stop. I can tell when it's coming usually because baby will start pushing around and I will also get sharp pain on my cervix at the same time. I was just assuming this is sciatica.

Adriana, mommy to Klarity 9/06 and Grayam 6/08 and Zephyr homebirth.jpgMay 8, 2011
#3 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately it's non stop when I'm moving. It's somewhat OK if I can sit or lie down in a specific way. Bleugh. Thanks for the response!

#4 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM

I had this at about 28 weeks.  I think if it's sciatica, which is nerve-related, the pain should shoot down your entire leg and cause numbness.  It sounds like ligament pain or your piriformis muscle.  Yay, Relaxin!  Now i just have recurrent groin pain which feels like someone's splitting my legs apart.  My midwife suggested I make a supportive belt with some wide elastic and a safety pin.  I also do yoga, which helps a lot.

#5 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixie View Post

I had this at about 28 weeks.  I think if it's sciatica, which is nerve-related, the pain should shoot down your entire leg and cause numbness.  It sounds like ligament pain or your piriformis muscle.  Yay, Relaxin!  Now i just have recurrent groin pain which feels like someone's splitting my legs apart.  My midwife suggested I make a supportive belt with some wide elastic and a safety pin.  I also do yoga, which helps a lot.

That's SPD! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_pubis_dysfunction

I don't really have pain in my leg. A little maybe but I'm also walking weird to compensate so it might be that. It's really just in my butt but it feels like a trapped nerve for sure.

I do have a belt but it's not helping. Sigh. I need to have this baby!!

#6 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM

I wore a maternity belt that lifted the baby off my pubic bone for a few weeks and it really helped but you are so close to the end that I don't know if it's wise...

#7 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM

I must have SPD then, because I experience that same sensation. I brought it up to my midwife and she just told me that if the pain gets too bad to take some tylenol but never said that it had a name..hmm..Well, it's not too debiliating for me, so I just deal. Does tylenol help?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#8 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM

#9 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

tylenol kind of helps. It definitely takes the pain down a notch. I really hope it's the baby's position. I can deal with this until the birth. I guess I'm worried it'll last after birth. anyway thanks for the feedback!

#10 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 AM

What position(s) do/are you sleeping in?

I go to a chiropractor for my SPD, and in addition to her adjustments, she recommended side-lying sleeping with a pillow between my knees. Also, doing the "dromedary droop" exercise helped so much with my SPD.

Best of luck, I hope things improve for you!

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#11 of 15 Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

What position(s) do/are you sleeping in?

I go to a chiropractor for my SPD, and in addition to her adjustments, she recommended side-lying sleeping with a pillow between my knees. Also, doing the "dromedary droop" exercise helped so much with my SPD.

Best of luck, I hope things improve for you!

The best position for my SPD (per my PT and IME) is on my back with a pillow under my thighs but I can't do that anymore because of the butt pain :/ So I am doing the side lying pillow thing but honestly it's not comfortable.

This is my 3rd baby and (I guess thankfully?) the first time I understand why people look for inductions.

#12 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Figured I'd update. I got to see the PT today b/c it just keeps getting worse. My SI joint has rotated. It's connected with the pelvic symphasis I guess. Hopefully delivery will fix it. There is a small chance it won't and we'll deal with that, then. In the meantime.. pain pain and more pain smile.gif But it's OK.At least I know what it is!

#13 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

Figured I'd update. I got to see the PT today b/c it just keeps getting worse. My SI joint has rotated. It's connected with the pelvic symphasis I guess. Hopefully delivery will fix it. There is a small chance it won't and we'll deal with that, then. In the meantime.. pain pain and more pain smile.gif But it's OK.At least I know what it is!

A chiro could fix that right up for you.. and then you wouldnt have to just be in pain...

#14 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't get into a chrio. The few I called are booked out for a few weeks.

#15 of 15 Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 PM

I found with side laying that the pillow wasn't cutting it to help with my hip pain. It would get too squished and wasn't actually propping my hips wide enough. I switched to keeping my lower leg straight and only propping the top leg on a foam roll that I used to use for my PT back exercises wrapped in a blanket. That was hard enough to keep my leg up where it should be. Now I only have to switch sides every 2 hours or so when I'm a little uncomfortable instead of 30 mins in super pain.

D_McG likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page