I need some serious advice and reassurance. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tuesday, at my 38 week appointment I found out I was positive for Group Strep B. My MW told me that since I am allergic to Penicillin, and my GBS was resistant to the backup antibiotics they usually use on people with a penicillin allergy, that I will have to use this super strong antibiotic that she hasn't had to use in a while.


GREAT. Totally freaked me out. I don't want my baby to be on antibiotics from the start, but to make matters worse..it's going to be some strong one that she doesn't even know much about.

 

Anyway, I get a call today from her asking, "What type of issues do you have when you take penicillin?" I told her I used to break out in a rash when I was younger from it, but haven't used it in a long time because of that. So she said she will discuss with the Dr if they think I should try to see if I have a reaction to the penicillin or just use the other antibiotic. So, needless to say now I am freaking out more! What if I have some super bad reaction to the penicillin? I dont even know which is worse...ugh. I am so scared for my baby. I don't want anything to happen to him. I don't know what to think.
 

I need some kind of advice or support or something.


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#2 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
 
MamaChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:(  So sorry you have to deal with this mama.. Usually they will do a skin test to see what happens instead of just winging it.  Can you ask them about doing a hibiclens rinse and then a rapid strep test on the baby once he is born?

MamaChef is offline  
#3 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

:(  So sorry you have to deal with this mama.. Usually they will do a skin test to see what happens instead of just winging it.  Can you ask them about doing a hibiclens rinse and then a rapid strep test on the baby once he is born?



They can do a skin test with the penicillin??

And yes I am going to talk to her about the hibiclens at my next appointment. Whats the rapid strep test?

 


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#4 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
 
becca_howell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What they'd do is dip the skin tester in penicillin and scratch your skin, then see what happens. I would NOT take a chance with the PCN before a skin test. A hives reaction can quickly turn into an aniphylactic reaction. Not trying to scare you more, but it is possible. Some doctors don't take allergies seriously enough. DD's former dermatologist wanted her on a prescription that had peanut oil in it, and she has an aniphylactic allergy to peanuts. I wasn't comfortable with it, and it was the beginning of the end of our relationship with her.

 

Before using the PCN or the stronger abx, I'd double or even triple up on the probiotics, add some raw garlic to your diet, drink lots of water and insist on a second GBS test. hug2.gif good luck!


Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

becca_howell is offline  
#5 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
 
KarenMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I ditto what MamaChef has said about Hibiclens.  a) the chance that you could react horribly to the penicillin is probably much greater than the baby ever contracting GBS. b) I would ask them if they can do a blood culture on the baby at birth

KarenMT is offline  
#6 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM
 
MamaChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/586375


As for the rapid test, I believe they now have a rapid culture for newborns like they do if you are a mom who hasnt gotten tested and shows up in labor.

 

 

 

MamaChef is offline  
#7 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM
 
mama_mich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif

 

I agree on demanding another test after upping all the recommendations.

 

 

 

mama_mich is offline  
#8 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
 
sillysmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had GBS show up twice on urine cultures, and had them run a sensitivity test. The report listed the antibiotic that the GBS was most sensitive to, and I'm just going to go with that one (one of the cepalosporins). Did your report list something similar (i.e. a first choice)? If so, I'd just go with that. Or if it's penicillin-sensitive, you could just do the allergy test and then do that. It's good that they caught the GBS and are figuring out what antibiotics will work on it. I haven't heard of administering a rapid strep test to a newborn. I would think that waiting until the baby has a bloodborne GBS infection and then treating it would be very risky compared to treating a mom in labor prophylactically.

sillysmile is offline  
#9 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 PM
 
MamaChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its not the same thing as a rapid strep test for like, strep throat ;)

 

 

If the maternal approved test doesnt work for babies..  then you can culture or do prophylactic antibiotics in the newborn.  I wouldnt risk an allergic reaction by not doing the skin test because unlike the other poster who was talking about GBS recently on the boards, the mother being allergic to a med is very different then a familial history or the father being allergic.  Since the mother's immune system controls the fetus then it's a whole different ballgame... 

 

Gotta get kiddo to bed.. but one of the first links

http://www.ohiohealth.com/body.cfm?id=6&action=detail&ref=4392

 

"Laboratory cultures of blood or other body fluid. Rapid screening tests may detect antigens to GBS in serum, cerebrospinal fluid, or urine but are not as accurate as a culture. A positive screening test in a symptomatic infant provides presumptive evidence of infection. A positive screening test in an infant without symptoms is not a reliable indication that there is GBS infection."

 

 

I *think* this is the test they use most.. but I gotta read more..  your doc should know what all is available.  I know there is also the PCR test..

http://www.bd.com/ds/technicalCenter/clsi/clsi-DMCK.pdf

http://www.fsneo.org/JourClub/7-025.htm

MamaChef is offline  
#10 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

What they'd do is dip the skin tester in penicillin and scratch your skin, then see what happens. I would NOT take a chance with the PCN before a skin test. A hives reaction can quickly turn into an aniphylactic reaction. Not trying to scare you more, but it is possible. Some doctors don't take allergies seriously enough. DD's former dermatologist wanted her on a prescription that had peanut oil in it, and she has an aniphylactic allergy to peanuts. I wasn't comfortable with it, and it was the beginning of the end of our relationship with her.

 

Before using the PCN or the stronger abx, I'd double or even triple up on the probiotics, add some raw garlic to your diet, drink lots of water and insist on a second GBS test. hug2.gif good luck!



I didn't know they could do a skin test, I will ask for one at my appointment on Tuesday. I really like the idea of probiotics, but where can I get some? Do you have an reccomendations on good ones to take while pregnant?

Thanks SO MUCH. <3 You guys.

 


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#11 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

Its not the same thing as a rapid strep test for like, strep throat ;)

 

 

If the maternal approved test doesnt work for babies..  then you can culture or do prophylactic antibiotics in the newborn.  I wouldnt risk an allergic reaction by not doing the skin test because unlike the other poster who was talking about GBS recently on the boards, the mother being allergic to a med is very different then a familial history or the father being allergic.  Since the mother's immune system controls the fetus then it's a whole different ballgame... 

 

Gotta get kiddo to bed.. but one of the first links

http://www.ohiohealth.com/body.cfm?id=6&action=detail&ref=4392

 

"Laboratory cultures of blood or other body fluid. Rapid screening tests may detect antigens to GBS in serum, cerebrospinal fluid, or urine but are not as accurate as a culture. A positive screening test in a symptomatic infant provides presumptive evidence of infection. A positive screening test in an infant without symptoms is not a reliable indication that there is GBS infection."

 

 

I *think* this is the test they use most.. but I gotta read more..  your doc should know what all is available.  I know there is also the PCR test..

http://www.bd.com/ds/technicalCenter/clsi/clsi-DMCK.pdf

http://www.fsneo.org/JourClub/7-025.htm


Thanks for all the info :)
 

 


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#12 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
 
lizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A Whole New World
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have much to offer but hug2.gif- and I think anything these mamas have recommended would beat hoping for the best with penicillin or winging with some global-killer kind of harsh abx for you and baby right off the bat!! Try to remember to take a few deep breaths while you're sorting through all off this stressful crap - help keeps your immune systems strong if you can relax! :)

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
lizzie is offline  
#13 of 18 Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
 
gummibears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post





I didn't know they could do a skin test, I will ask for one at my appointment on Tuesday. I really like the idea of probiotics, but where can I get some? Do you have an reccomendations on good ones to take while pregnant?

Thanks SO MUCH. <3 You guys.

 


I get my probiotics at Walmart's pharmacy. They are OTC but need to be refrigerated, so you gotta ask for them. I use Floragen which is what my midwife reccommended I take when I had loads of infections to get things back to normal. I think you've gotten some great suggestions here and hope it all works out for you!

 

gummibears is offline  
#14 of 18 Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post




I get my probiotics at Walmart's pharmacy. They are OTC but need to be refrigerated, so you gotta ask for them. I use Floragen which is what my midwife reccommended I take when I had loads of infections to get things back to normal. I think you've gotten some great suggestions here and hope it all works out for you!

 



This is why I love MDC. You guys are amazing and make me feel better.

 

GamineNoir likes this.

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#15 of 18 Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 AM
 
becca_howell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post





I didn't know they could do a skin test, I will ask for one at my appointment on Tuesday. I really like the idea of probiotics, but where can I get some? Do you have an reccomendations on good ones to take while pregnant?

Thanks SO MUCH. <3 You guys.

 

 

Make sure you get a multi-strand probiotic. Some just contain acidophilous and while that is great, it may not be enough to handle everything you're dealing with. Look at the label and if you see more than one "active" ingredient, you're good. I typically get some from the refrigerated section of the Whole Body department at Whole Foods.

 


Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

becca_howell is offline  
#16 of 18 Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post



 

Make sure you get a multi-strand probiotic. Some just contain acidophilous and while that is great, it may not be enough to handle everything you're dealing with. Look at the label and if you see more than one "active" ingredient, you're good. I typically get some from the refrigerated section of the Whole Body department at Whole Foods.

 



Thanks, I don't know much about probiotics, and this is helpful. I will be making a stop at whole foods today.

Do you think I have enough time to get it out of my system though? I will be 39 weeks on Tuesday.


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
#17 of 18 Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
 
becca_howell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure. I've had some good experiences with probiotics before. It's currently preventing the plague from taking me over here (see chat thread--my kids, DH and sister are all sick). I'll say a prayer it does work!! Good luck!


Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

becca_howell is offline  
#18 of 18 Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
I Need Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

Not sure. I've had some good experiences with probiotics before. It's currently preventing the plague from taking me over here (see chat thread--my kids, DH and sister are all sick). I'll say a prayer it does work!! Good luck!


Thank you so much :)
 

 


heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
I Need Coffee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off