garlic & GBS...it worked!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it hasn't worked for everyone, but I just wanted to post what I did.  I was positive with my prior pregnancies so they were just going to consider me positive.  I did 1/2 clove peeled garlic in my vagina for 6 nights (was suppose to do 8 nights only ended up doing 6), and I got a negative!  I'm beyond happy about this!!  So I'm going to continue doing it up until delivery.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Excellent.  I was negative with my first but pos with my last HB.  I did the Hibiclens protocol without any issues.  I've done the garlic before but as an attempt to rid yeast- I think it's so freaky how you can totally taste the garlic as soon as you put it in.

#3 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM

joy.gifGreat to hear! Good luck!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I know the garlic taste is weird- the first night I couldn't even sleep lol, now it's no big deal.  And my midwife noted that I did NOT smell like garlic thankfully!

#5 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 AM

yay!  what a relief!

i was neg with dd without any extra effort but i guess reading everything in here made me want to take some precautions this time around!  i didn't do garlic in the vagina since i was told that they swab the rectum too but i did eat a clove or two almost every day for a week or two before my test!  i also took lots of probiotics and vit c when i remembered.  and then just before my swab i washed with hibiclens.  luckily the mw who did the swab was not at all invasive about it.  the rectal swab was more of a light swipe near the rectum so i'm feeling pretty good about it.  i was just tested wednesday so i'll get my results back next week at my next appt... fingers crossed!!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#6 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

she didn't do a rectal swab, guess every provider does it differently?  Anyways...can't stop smiling about this lol..I hate the darn IV it caused me so much pain that I couldn't even labor on my hands and knees, sooo looking forward to laboring at home this time and in any position!

#7 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM

I did garlic and acidophilus suppositories (pre-prepped ones from the natural health store) this time and last time around.  Negative both times (was positive with my first).  I also took probiotics orally this time but not very faithfully.  So while I'm not sure whether I can definitely say the garlic etc worked, I wasn't going to tempt fate :P

One thing my midwife suggested to me this time around was to pee out whatever I had in my bladder before doing the swab.  Assuming I'm not colonized in my urinary tract (which would be bad news worth knowing), it provides a sterile rinse before swabbing.  It felt a little odd but I did do it, and perhaps it helped.... :)

#8 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi, Jumping in to say that I'm 37 weeks pregnant with baby number seven.  I just heard back from my dr. office that my GBS test from last Thurs. came back pos.  I've never tested POS. in any of my previous pregnancies.   I've been planning to do a VBA2C at my hospital despite their ban, provided i'm able to go int labor "on my own".  My 2 most recent babies (2/07, 7/09) were CS, the second one because of the VBAC bans in my 2 local hospitals & also b/c I have never had a "natural labor".  (no inductions allowed with VBAC).  I am going to post about this situation (GBS+) in the VBAC forum, but i searched THIS forum for info about GBS.  My question HERE is about the use of Garlic.  Someone did JUST tell me about using garlic.  she also told me to google "natural remedies for GBS".  I should also start taking a probiotic?  Would drinking Kefir be sufficient?  With Garlic, what do you do?   And it's safe to insert it vaginally?

Any additional advice/info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

#9 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

In my first post it states what I did.  It's completely safe to insert vaginally, my midwife supported me doing this.  The only thing I've heard from some is they get a burning sensation from having sensitive skin in their vaginal area, which I didn't get at all.  I would also do the probiotic, the only reason I didn't...too lazy and didn't buy any!  So it was just the garlic that worked for me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalyn View Post

Hi, Jumping in to say that I'm 37 weeks pregnant with baby number seven.  I just heard back from my dr. office that my GBS test from last Thurs. came back pos.  I've never tested POS. in any of my previous pregnancies.   I've been planning to do a VBA2C at my hospital despite their ban, provided i'm able to go int labor "on my own".  My 2 most recent babies (2/07, 7/09) were CS, the second one because of the VBAC bans in my 2 local hospitals & also b/c I have never had a "natural labor".  (no inductions allowed with VBAC).  I am going to post about this situation (GBS+) in the VBAC forum, but i searched THIS forum for info about GBS.  My question HERE is about the use of Garlic.  Someone did JUST tell me about using garlic.  she also told me to google "natural remedies for GBS".  I should also start taking a probiotic?  Would drinking Kefir be sufficient?  With Garlic, what do you do?   And it's safe to insert it vaginally?

Any additional advice/info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page