On the other side.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 110 Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel more babies coming into the world over the next few days! Let's talk about life on the other side of birth.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#2 of 110 Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Baby boy is sweet and gorgeous - slept pretty well last night after some rough ones (I had insomnia). My girls are totally in love with him, too.

I developed full blown mastitis this morning, after the onset of cracked nipples on Wednesday night. Trying to work on a shallow latch and am on antibiotics and anti-yeast. Feeling really crappy. I know I'm whining - here's hoping I'm the only mama dealing with this!

#3 of 110 Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Sorry about the mastitis.  I've had issues with plugged ducts and mastitis with both of my girls.  I usually try and prevent the plugged ducts with lecithin and prevent the mastitis with a very careful latch and a ton of vitamin C. Be kind to yourself and get lots of rest, if that is possible.  I know that my bouts of mastitis were a combination of engorgement and just doing too much.

#4 of 110 Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm sorry about your mastitis, what a bummer :(  Do you have lots of support at home right now?  I hope you can just get into bed with baby for a couple of days and have people bring you copious fluids to drink and lots of hot packs for your boobs.  Ouchie :(  Hang in there!

#5 of 110 Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

ughhhh mastitis. sooo sorry mama. cabbage leaves help a ton! you just put them in your bra. and massage massage massage that out in the shower, and make sure he is nursing first on that side. mastitis is soooo horrible =__=

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#6 of 110 Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 AM

I had that 3 times with my first. Resting, lots of water, hot packs, massaging the area all helped it work it's way out for me.

Second time around, I got some herbal stuff for whenever my ducts felt like they were getting plugged up and that and massaging and making sure baby nursing there well all helped to prevent any mastitis.

Possibly helpful link

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 110 Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words and commiserating! I feel much better today - I think the antibiotics are kicking in. I went ahead and went to the doc yesterday after midwife urged me to (very swollen breast, fever spiked to 102+). lots of nursing, massaging, cabbage leaves. Lesson learned? Just because this is my third time around doesn't mean I don't need to be super concientious about latch, lots of rest, etc. My girls have been good little nurses - oh, the benefit of having older kids!!

#8 of 110 Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Glad to hear you're on the mend!!  Keep up all the good healing stuff, it'll help those meds kick in even better :)  How cute that your DDs are nursing you back to health :)

#9 of 110 Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ev slept 4.5 hours straight last night - I feel like a new woman!
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

#10 of 110 Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post

Thanks for all the kind words and commiserating! I feel much better today - I think the antibiotics are kicking in. I went ahead and went to the doc yesterday after midwife urged me to (very swollen breast, fever spiked to 102+). lots of nursing, massaging, cabbage leaves. Lesson learned? Just because this is my third time around doesn't mean I don't need to be super concientious about latch, lots of rest, etc. My girls have been good little nurses - oh, the benefit of having older kids!!

That was my mistake with #5 as well.  I thought after nursing 4 kids I was a pro and wasn't as careful about latch and such and really paid the price!!  I was lucky and didn't get mastitis but got cracked nipples and was miserable for weeks and nursing was so painful i thought about giving up.  I think if I had been more careful right from the beginning and not letting DS be lazy and making him latch correctly I could have avoided it. 

Hope you feel better soon mama!

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#11 of 110 Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM

I made this mistake with #2 and it really made an impression. Will be super careful about nursing tummy to tummy with this one.  With the first I'd done some much research that it didn't hurt at all. Thought I knew it all with the second and it HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

That was my mistake with #5 as well.  I thought after nursing 4 kids I was a pro and wasn't as careful about latch and such and really paid the price!!  I was lucky and didn't get mastitis but got cracked nipples and was miserable for weeks and nursing was so painful i thought about giving up.  I think if I had been more careful right from the beginning and not letting DS be lazy and making him latch correctly I could have avoided it. 

Hope you feel better soon mama!

#12 of 110 Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Yay! So great that you're both doing so well now! :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#13 of 110 Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Glad you got the mastitis under control. I had a bout of that with my last baby, and it was awful.

I'm 4days pp and woke this morning with plugged ducts and bad engorgement. Dh went and got me some cabbage and I've done that a couple of times today and also started taking lecithin. I think the cabbage helped some, but good grief I forgot how big the girls can get. I'm thankful to have some of the bigger comfy cotton bras I ordered late in pregnancy.

Anyone else doing belly binding? I'm using the Belly Bandit binder and can tell it's helping everything shrink back and not feel so wobbly inside.

I'm also doing placenta encapsulation for the first time. The mw assistant that came to my birth offered to do it for me, and I decided to go for it. She came out and did it at our house after the birth. I'm so excited to see what difference it makes this time.

Gotta run, time to nurse baby again.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#14 of 110 Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah - I, too had forgotten the joys of engorgement. With dd2, I'd just stopped nursing dd1, so I don't recall it being anywhere near as bad last time. Hope the cabbage leaves help - they helped me!

#15 of 110 Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh - and not doing belly binding, though kind of wish I had during those first few days when my organs felt out of whack!

We just froze the placenta to bury later - given how emotionally unsteady I'm still feeling, I'm rethinking that choice.

#16 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#17 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM

I don't know why my words will not show up above! 

I was just agreeing that 4.5 hours of sleep would be heavenly!  Zoe will sleep like that during the day. She has a great morning nap from about 8am-noon!  But she doesn't sleep that long at night yet.  If only I could take naps!  It's too loud around here for me though! 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#18 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Baby boy is sweet and gorgeous - slept pretty well last night after some rough ones (I had insomnia). My girls are totally in love with him, too.

I developed full blown mastitis this morning, after the onset of cracked nipples on Wednesday night. Trying to work on a shallow latch and am on antibiotics and anti-yeast. Feeling really crappy. I know I'm whining - here's hoping I'm the only mama dealing with this!

Oh, I hear your misery. I spent a long, tearful night with a similar issue. My daughter seems to think she knows better than me about latching and won't accept a latch unless it's nipple only. I've been trying to correct her, but she just keeps pulling off/fussing until I relent because I don't want to see her cry and be hungry. Last night I developed cracked/bleeding nipples. The one that's not cracked was being nursed from for hours straight and she still cried for more. I was sore, tired and out of options.

I broke down in tears and told DH get the formula and bottles out and we fed her that. She was happy and satisfied, but I feel like a failure now. I'm not sure I want to give up nursing her. I wanted to nurse her 6 months+. But I can't nurse when my nipples can't heal or she won't latch right to let them heal. And I can't nurse 2 weeks fully with the pain/nipples how they are. There's not much choice. I'm hoping I can still nurse her a bit with the formula (best of both worlds) but I'm not holding out much hope since nipple confusion will likely make that impossible. I have an emergency number for a lactaction consultant I can call today, but since we've already given her bottles I'm not sure there's much hope there either.

I was having such good signs with nursing, too. Leaking (I rarely leaked with DS) and she's filling out and was satisfied yesterday afternoon. But after we got home it was constant nursing always hungry and it was too much for my body. :(

#19 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah - the worst thing about the first few days (besides mastitis and cracked nipples, lol) was the sleep deprivation. I had to make a conscious effort to sleep after a while - otherwise I was going to totally lose it!

#20 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh gummibears - hugs mama!!! Visiting the LC was one of the best things I did. I'm also only nursing on the less injured right breast and pumping from the left (which is way less painful). Ev is taking bottles of expresses milk and the breast - there's been no nipple confusion, so don't take that as a given. I know what a hard place you're in - be kind to yourself! I can't believe how much better I feel today as opposed to days 5-8 after his birth.

#21 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM

They are a bit less painful now but still hurting quite a bit. I used those bottles that mimic breastfeeding with the hopes that she will be less confused (but noticed last night she was chomping down on that nipple, too) and that there may still be hope to at least nurse her part time with the formula feeding.

I can't really even look at her now without crying and wondering if I did the right thing last night. I couldn't call the LC in the middle of the night so I just did a quick re-evaulation of pros/cons of sticking with the nursing at that point. Unfortunately the only pro found was that breastmilk was better for her - but only if she wasn't always hungry and not latching well enough to get her fill. *Sigh* I had similar issues with my son, but that was after 3-4 months and when he was starting to cut teeth, not 3 days.

I'm not really giving up completely on her, but I'm not sure I'm going to call the LC either because I'm afraid I've sabotaged things (but if she didn't accept a true latch half the time maybe there's not much to sabotage anyway?) On the somewhat upside, I've been leaking since last night, so I know my milk is there and ready... if the nipples could heal long enough to try again.

#22 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM

you definitely haven't sabotaged your nursing relationship yet!! call the LC!!!!!!

#23 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

you definitely haven't sabotaged your nursing relationship yet!! call the LC!!!!!!

I agree it's still early mama! Big hugs !

Oh and taking my 3rd to the Chiro right away helped immensely with his latch...he was only latching on the nipple(really shallow) and it turned out his jaw was tight on one side and the Chiro did some massage on it and showed me how and he latched perfectly after that. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#24 of 110 Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

I'll 3rd that! I had the toughest time with my 6th baby for weeks. She was super sleepy, had thrush, and had a very poor latch due to a high palate. It was so hard for a long time, but we made it through and ended up nursing for 2yrs. Here are a couple of websites that saved our nursing relationship. The 2nd one has video clips that helped me a lot, and the first one is my favorite nursing site anytime I need some encouragement or advice. Maybe it would help to post on the Breastfeeding forum as well. Best wishes!

http://www.kellymom.com/

http://www.drjacknewman.com/breastfeeding-help.asp

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#25 of 110 Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks all. I did call my LC and have been in close contact with her since. She's set to come visit Friday morning as well. She suggested trying to get her to latch while in a semi reclined position which encourages her to open wider as she roots around. It's working better and I'm healing up in the process. We are still working to get her to latch properly in the other holds, but one step at a time.

She sent a form to me today for me to get a prescription for a pump, so we'll have that as an option as well. And she mentioned Kelly Mom today when I was discussing how the night feedings were going. I've been over there and it's a great resource thank you for mentioning that and newman's site.

We'll make this work, I think. It helps that we identified that she was nursing round the clock partially because she wanted to suckle to sleep and soothe herself. We got her some pacifiers and she's been loving those (as have my nipples since they can heal now!)

Thank you for all your help and encouragement. She's gonna be okay, I think. Me too, lol.

#26 of 110 Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM

See the LC and if you just can't get her to latch the right way then consider nipple shields. I did nipple shields for 9 months with my first. If it wasn't for those I think I would have given up with him. It's more convenient if you can get them off the shield and to nurse the right way but if it's either using the shield or formula, the shield is better. I like the contact nipple shield so they don't have their nose touching plastic. I had really bad bleeding cracked nipples with my first too. I think the LC said he had some sort of mouth issue where he couldn't latch quite right. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

Oh, I hear your misery. I spent a long, tearful night with a similar issue. My daughter seems to think she knows better than me about latching and won't accept a latch unless it's nipple only. I've been trying to correct her, but she just keeps pulling off/fussing until I relent because I don't want to see her cry and be hungry. Last night I developed cracked/bleeding nipples. The one that's not cracked was being nursed from for hours straight and she still cried for more. I was sore, tired and out of options.

I broke down in tears and told DH get the formula and bottles out and we fed her that. She was happy and satisfied, but I feel like a failure now. I'm not sure I want to give up nursing her. I wanted to nurse her 6 months+. But I can't nurse when my nipples can't heal or she won't latch right to let them heal. And I can't nurse 2 weeks fully with the pain/nipples how they are. There's not much choice. I'm hoping I can still nurse her a bit with the formula (best of both worlds) but I'm not holding out much hope since nipple confusion will likely make that impossible. I have an emergency number for a lactaction consultant I can call today, but since we've already given her bottles I'm not sure there's much hope there either.

I was having such good signs with nursing, too. Leaking (I rarely leaked with DS) and she's filling out and was satisfied yesterday afternoon. But after we got home it was constant nursing always hungry and it was too much for my body. :(

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#27 of 110 Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

Thanks all. I did call my LC and have been in close contact with her since. She's set to come visit Friday morning as well. She suggested trying to get her to latch while in a semi reclined position which encourages her to open wider as she roots around. It's working better and I'm healing up in the process. We are still working to get her to latch properly in the other holds, but one step at a time.

Hey, that is even better. Sorry, I just noticed this after my other post. Anyway, keep it up. You're doing great! 

#28 of 110 Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM

oh awesome :) i'm glad you guys are working through your latch issues!

#29 of 110 Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Go gummibears, go! So glad things are looking up for you!

I'm also in a much better place today - baby blues seem to have lifted and as of today we're nursing on both sides - whoohooo! Day 14 smile.gif

#30 of 110 Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

See the LC and if you just can't get her to latch the right way then consider nipple shields. I did nipple shields for 9 months with my first. If it wasn't for those I think I would have given up with him. It's more convenient if you can get them off the shield and to nurse the right way but if it's either using the shield or formula, the shield is better. I like the contact nipple shield so they don't have their nose touching plastic. I had really bad bleeding cracked nipples with my first too. I think the LC said he had some sort of mouth issue where he couldn't latch quite right. 

You know, somewhere here I have those. I got them when I had my first from a family member and never used them. I should try to figure where I put them (likely in the closet with the baby stuff) and have them just in case.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page