How much RRL tea are you drinking now that you're full term? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

So now that we're all closing in to the big day (if not already had the big day!) how much red raspberry leaf tea are you drinking?  I'm steeping a 1/2 cup of the leaves in a 1 quart jar for 4 hours.  I guess that's considered an infusion.  I don't really feel any Braxton Hicks.  Maybe 1 every couple of days.  This is my second baby (drank RRL last time, too).  I thought I remembered having more Braxton Hicks and I thought subsequent pregnancies usually brought more BH cntx's. 

I know there's a RRL tea thread in Pregnancy, but I'm particularly curious concerning how much you all are drinking and what you're experiencing since we're so close! 

#2 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm making 1 container from my ice tea maker every other day it seems, so about 2.5-3 cups a day. I haven't really noticed any difference since upping how much I'm drinking but who knows? 

#3 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM

I am drinking about 2 pin a day with 1tsp nettle 1 tsp alfalfa and 2 Tables of RR leaves in each pint.  They seem to really help calm the braxton hicks i have after activity of any kind.  My MW says this is how it goes until your body is ready and then it helps strengthen the surges.  Maybe you aren't having any this time because you are drinking such a strong infusion.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#4 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Been really bad about drinking my tea lately. Plan to drink it 2-3 times a day but not been happening. 

I haven't had hardly any noticeable BH contrax this time either and last time I was having decently painful ones for a few weeks before the birth. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM

I can't do the tea, but I have been taking the capsules.  Two with each meal. 

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#6 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Attempting 2-3 mugs a day mixed fairly strongly 2 teaspoons of leaves mixed with 1 teaspoon of peppermint.

#7 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM

I've been bad about drinking mine, too, but I made a pitcher of double/triple strength tea today and am aiming to finish the pitcher by noonish tomorrow.  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#8 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM

I need to get on this train. I like it now when I do it, as long as it's good and cold. I have nettle too, and wondering if I should alternate or mix them... any thoughts?

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#9 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post

I need to get on this train. I like it now when I do it, as long as it's good and cold. I have nettle too, and wondering if I should alternate or mix them... any thoughts?

Go ahead and mix them. My preggo tea has those mixed together along with a mint herb. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#10 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'd definitely mix them.  I add nettle and alfalfa to my mix.  I don't love drinking it...but I LOVE LOVE LOVE ice (when pregnant) and so the tea just happens to get consumed as I have glass after glass of ice.  My favorite though, is to add a splash of some juice like pomegranate/blueberry/cranberry.

#11 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi Ladies, I'm kinda a lurker from the UC Board. I'm 32wks with #6 and I've noticed the tea is making me have more BHs than with any of my other kids. This is my first time using the tea and I mix it with the nettles. I don't know if it's too strong or not.

#12 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

What's your ratio of leaves to water?

#13 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, I make it by the cup because I like it hot. I usually use about 1 teaspoon of each. 

#14 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM

Thank all of you for the input! I did just that. :) Just wish I'd had some of pom or blueberry juice hanging around!! That sounds tasty - I have to use some fruity herbal teas with it to get enough quantity down to make a difference, and I have to have it cold too! :)

#15 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 PM

I bought this tea from a lady on etsy since it has mostly RRL but also alfalfa, nettle, oatstraw, rose petals, and maybe a mild hint of mint, dont remember.  I went with this mix because it was cheaper than buying all those bulk herbs myself when I did the math.  Also I can't believe how good it is.  I tried just plain RRL tea last pregnancy and just couldn't get it down.  This one is so much better.  I love it hot and crazy enough, for some reason, when I have horrible heartburn late at night, a nice cup of this eases it!  All the more motivation to drink it.  I have been forgetting about it though and haven't drank it in about a week.  When I do remember I do it pretty strong by the cup.  8 oz of water to 2 tbs or the leaves.  I steep for 10 mins though I have forgotten about it and steeped longer but had to rewarm it.

I plan to do a strong infusion at onset of labor. 

Link to my tea blend on etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64313289/organic-pregnancy-blend-for-pregnant 

She was super nice and answered tons of questions for me and put together a special amount special order for me and reserved it for me to purchase.  I tried it cold also and it is amazing!!!!!  Something very comforting though about it when warm.

I haven't noticed any real increases in BH but I haven't been drinking it like I intended either. 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#16 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Hmmm, that's a good price, Sharita! I'm intrigued, since like you I don't care for the taste of RRL. I may have to try that!

#17 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, one of my biggest gripes with the tea is that I like to drink it hot, but after a lot of reading, I chose to do a longer steeping time.  I miss just having a very hot cup of tea.  (I've been drinking plain hot water or lemon water instead which helps to massage the body awake and keep you regular).  I've read anything over a half hour is pointless...but then the guru Susan Weeds says 4-8 hours....I'm always so confused about steeping.

By the way, my doctor specifically commented on how strong my uterus was last time so I felt like the tea must have helped!  However, it didn't shorten labor at all because the baby wasn't positioned well (asynclitic) and lasted 18 hours or maybe more depending on how you calculate labors.  But, I think I still saw benefits because I didn't bleed much postpartum, my uterus shrunk relatively quickly and I had zero afterpains.  Here's hoping I'm stengthening my uterus again AND the baby is positioned well for a speedy labor!

#18 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM

I just opened a box of Traditional Medicinals RRL tea that my sister gave me because she didn't like it.  I know that this isn't the best blend, but hey it's easy and it was free.  It's steeping right now... but I'm wondering how awful it's going to taste based on reading this thread. LOL

I'm late to the game anyway but hey, it won't hurt anything.  If it helped post-partum even that'd be great.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#19 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I started drinking it again finally after seeing this thread the other day. LOL

I was drinking it regularly for a little while before this. I am seeping 2 RRL bags and 2 preggo tea bags. 2 big cups a day. I got Yogi brand as it's the best cheaper one I've found honey makes it yummy. lol.gif

#20 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone following this thread plan to make the RRL leaf infusion to drink when labor starts?  (They say a handful of leaves and you're supposed to drink it hot when labor starts - not sure what they means as far as how long to steep).  I made it last time just before leaving for the hospital and then when we got there, we were checking in and my very nervous DH knocked over my to-go cup, the lid flew off and all our papers got soaked!  Ha!  So I never really drank much of the labor day infusion.

#21 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM

What is an infusion exactly? 

#22 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM

It makes me VERY sad to think that I have practically a full pound of RRL (as well as of nettles AND of peppermint), and I ALWAYS forget to make any. Granted, I'm in the South, and putting on a pot of water to boil isn't the loveliest of things with the weather as it is....but I know I need to be drinking more, and I'm just not.

#23 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

An infusion is just really strong and therefore considered to be very nourishing.  Lots of dried herb and lots of steeping.  What I make each day with 1/2 cup of leaves to 1 quart jar is actually considered an infusion I think.  But the labor day infusion is supposed to be about 1 full cup of leaves, so I'll double it when I go into labor.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page