Long night at L&D and risked out of birth center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday at 3:15 I had a midwife appointment.  She listened to baby's heartbeat for a while, and while it sounded a little funky to me, I figured I'm not really trained to hear it--but she mentioned that it sounded a bit irregular (and she listened for several minutes), so she sent me to L&D for monitoring.  The midwife who was on call there (who I had never met before) was awesome... I just really liked her!  The NST looked good--baby's heartRATE is good--but she listened for a while and also noticed the arrhythmias.  She consulted with the perinatologist, who said it was probably PACs (premature atrial contractions) which can be normal, but she wanted to double check.  The perinatologist did an ultrasound and checked out her heart and confirmed what she believes to be PACs (there was definite arrhythmia).  She said that they rarely cause problems and typically resolve on their own, but of course baby will be checked out after she's born.  My midwife talked to me and said that the arrhythmia unfortunately risks me out of the birth center because they want me to have continuous fetal monitoring--so I'll deliver in L&D, but I'll still be under the care of the midwives.  I go back in Saturday for monitoring.  Oh--they also checked my cervix and swept my membranes, but I was still only 3 cm (same as I was 2+ weeks ago) and 60-70% effaced.  If I've progressed further, they said AROM may be an option.

To add to the stress, my husband's ship is going underway for a few days next week.  A few weeks ago, his Chief told him they'd be leaving him behind, that there was no reason for him to plan on going because they'd be fine without him.  Well, that Chief is now on leave (his wife had surgery), so someone else is in charge and told my husband that yeah, they'll leave him behind--IF I have had the baby.  But if I HAVEN'T had the baby, he'll go.  What the heck kind of sense does that make?  I'd be more okay with him going if I have already had her.  I'm more concerned about going into labor while he's gone.  Ugh!!  He just headed to work and has been keeping his chain of command informed since last night, so I'm hoping maybe they reconsider.  I would understand if this were something important, but it's literally a piddly little exercise that he's clearly not essential for since they're saying they'd leave him behind if baby is born.

If you got this far... thanks for listening!!

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Hope your DH will get to be there for your baby's birth. Good that you still get the care of your midwives despite risking out of the birth center.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Sorry you are dealing with so much falling into your lap at once, HappyMamaBeth.  I'm glad you will be able to continue care with your midwives - it's so reassuring to know that your care team will be the same despite a change in plan for birthplace.  I really hope your DH is able to be there for the birth...fingers crossed that the new person in charge reconsiders and stick with the original plan.

#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh honey! I'm ex-Navy. Making sense is NOT what khaki is for!! Maybe the upside of the stress of the PAC is that that will somehow convince the new guy in charge that your dh needs to stay behind and be there for you! I don't know how it works, but can you talk with your ombudsman about the heightened concern and how much you'd like dh to be there while this is going on? I know that can backfire for your dh though depending on who you're dealing with. Sending "hope it all comes together!!" vibes your way! And that's happy that you'll be able to continue with your midwives too! :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page