Using Evening Primrose Oil? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I finally bought some EPO last night cuz It's looking like I'm going to go further with this pregnancy than any of my others, possibly. I thought it couldn't hurt. 

I'll be 40 weeks between Sunday and Tuesday depending on which due date I go with. 

Anyway, how much do you think I should take? Should I take any vaginally? I heard that can sometimes cause infection? Thoughts? 

Baby's head is engaged. I can't tell anything about my cervix though as I just don't know how to find it.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#2 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

So, I finally bought some EPO last night cuz It's looking like I'm going to go further with this pregnancy than any of my others, possibly. I thought it couldn't hurt. 

I'll be 40 weeks between Sunday and Tuesday depending on which due date I go with. 

Anyway, how much do you think I should take? Should I take any vaginally? I heard that can sometimes cause infection? Thoughts? 

Baby's head is engaged. I can't tell anything about my cervix though as I just don't know how to find it.

My MW has me taking 1500mg per day but I also started taking it when I was 35 weeks.  I don't know about vaginally.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#3 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

I do 6 caps vaginally at bedtime (typically after DTD), but I haven't taken any orally. I heard taking it vaginally works better? Maybe I'm forgetting and doing it all wrong lol...

Oh, be warned. It smells rancid.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

I do 6 caps vaginally at bedtime (typically after DTD), but I haven't taken any orally. I heard taking it vaginally works better? Maybe I'm forgetting and doing it all wrong lol...

I've heard this too, but as I all ready have fast labors and dilate and efface before labor I and my MW decided that I should not use them vaginally.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#5 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, not a problem here. Went 41+3 with DD, doc scheduled unneccesarean at 37 weeks with DS. Here I am 39 even and feeling mildly "birthy" but can't find my cervix.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I delivered about 38 weeks with DS1 and 39 +4 with DS2. Didn't really wanna beat my record, but looks like I might. I keep reading about vag infections from putting them up there. Don't know if that has happened to anyone? I really wouldn't wanna deal with that. I was thinking just take a 1,000 mg capsule with breakfast, lunch and dinner since it says to take with food. I guess it can't hurt, maybe it'll help. I dunno. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

Nooooo! I had always assumed it would smell good. Ya know, like Primrose...it has such a pretty name! I don't want a stinky vag....

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#8 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Nooooo! I had always assumed it would smell good. Ya know, like Primrose...it has such a pretty name! I don't want a stinky vag....

I dont do them vaginally.. because they reek.  I only do them orally, 2600-3900 mg a day.  Semen is alot more effective vaginally and alot more fun ;)

#9 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

LOL!  I needed that little laugh, thanks :)  My midwife used some yesterday when she did my stretch and (unsuccessful) sweep, she was complaining about the smell as she was emptying the little capsules onto her glove, but I didn't notice it was smelly at all. 

#10 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Hmmm... I got mine from our local healthfood store and it doesn't smell like much of anything when I bursted them open to insert vaginally.  Hmm.. checked label it definitely says its evening primrose oil.  Wonder whats up with that?

Anyway, I did two or three nights of inserting vaginally last pregnancy, did a few cervical checks with EPO on gloved fingers and had it massaged into the cervix during membrane sweeping.  Took it a few times orally but everyone I taked to or threads I read said they didn't seem to notice much success orally.  Not sure what it did for me but all that cervical checking, membrane sweeping, etc just caused me PROM.  No vag infections though.  I agree, semen may be a better way to go and even if neither method works, the latter is more fun trying, lol.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#11 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Well dang, I should've read this thread before I went shopping today! Not sure that it was here, but still... I got 500mg capsules but they had 1300 mg capsules. Hmmmm. And now I'm torn between vaginally and oral.

Evergreen, lol.gif. Stinky vag is no way to encourage dtd, is it?? I had always assumed it smelled happy too!

Maybe I'll start taking it orally while my aunt is here, and then when she leaves, try vaginally as well. See how funky it is and how it goes. Maybe dh can help with some massage since we have some gloves here. Haven't checked myself or been checked in a couple of weeks. Getting curiouser and curiouser again!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#12 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 AM

I've been told to take one in the morning and one in the night, and one vaginally - if you're not having much sex. That's the 1300mg strength. I had some 500mg, and with those I was just take 5-6 a day by mouth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page