Water broke over 16 hrs ago and NOTHING is happening!!!!! Finally an UPDATE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Getting really frustrated and disheartened here. My water broke at 3AM this morning and we have spent the entire day walking, doing acupressure, massage, nipple stim, etc. and I have HAD IT. I may have a few contrax here and there but they just peter out. I am leaking amniotic fluid a lot so it is hard to do much or go anywhere. I have lost plug and my body is cleansing, but no bloody show or regular contrax. Poor DS is stuck at a friend's for an unknown amount of time now and it bothers me. DH and my doula (midwife) keep pushing another walk and this and that but frankly I am tired. I have been up since 3AM!! I can't eat much (no appetite) and I am sure it will be another long night so I would like to just rest but I have tried and it is difficult to get beyond a short doze.

I am 38w1d, my first came at 39w. Nothing has been inside my vagina since 36w so it was not artificially ruptured. I started to lose plug two days ago and knew something would happen soon, but this wait is torture!  With DS my water broke about 9 hours before contrax started so I think that nice fast experience is making this worse.

Any advice, commiseration or good stories?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM

From what I read, if you keep everything out of your vagina - including midwife fingers, then you should be able to go up to 96 hours before it's a real concern. Read that in a midwifery text. 

Just do your best to rest. I am rather sure things will start up for you soon. Hang in there! I know it sucks.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Hang in there - you're in my thoughts. With dd1, labour was 34 hours and so exhausting, but we made it through eventually. I'm rooting for you!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#4 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM

no advice... just hoping something starts for you soon!!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#5 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM

hug.gif I hope things get going for you soon. I've had a labor before where my water broke and then nothing happened for several hours. It's such an antsy, unsettled feeling, but your body is probably doing exactly what it needs to for whatever reason. Getting too tired in labor is awful, so I'd keep trying to at least alternating rests in between walking. Even if you can't sleep it still helps to rest your muscles and bones. Don't forget to eat good protein and drink lots of water, juice or Emergen-c to keep your strength up too. Do you have any Hibiclens? Rinsing with some mixed in a peri-bottle could help ward off any infection, though I think as long as you keep things out of the area, skip exams, and don't have fever you should be fine for a long time. Best wishes, and I'll say a little prayer that things get going soon! Can't wait to read your story!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#6 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!  Good advice too- I have been doing hibiclens frequently and although I have no appetite I have gotten some small amounts of food down.  I have probably drank at least 3-4 liters of fluid too which is great to make more amniotic fluid.  I just got off the phone with the midwife who really helped me calm down.  Her advice was a bath, some wine and then sleep!  I feel more confident hearing that I just need to rest right now and not wait.  Poor DH and I were starting to argue before he left to get DS for the night but I am glad the decision was made and we can move on.

Can't wait to meet this LO!

#7 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Hope things picked up for you!  I just wanted to commiserate with you.  Yours was like my first labor, but I wasn't educated enough to resist my doctor's recommendation to check into the hospital and start pitocin which after 25 hours of going nowhere led to my 1st C/S.  Hang in there!  With my second, my water ruptured--a huge gush and smaller gushes after, but I found out later in labor at 6cm dilated after 23 hours of 2 min apart intense contractions, that I had two bags!  One was completely intact.  I guess that's not uncommon.

Wishing you the best and easy labor (once it starts!)  *hugs*

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#8 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm in the same position right now, except it's only been 5 hours for me. It is quite frustrating. It sounds like you're having a homebirth? Unfortunately for me, I'm having a hospital birth, so I'll have to head over sooner or later, and I'm afraid of being induced with Pitocin. Blah. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#9 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Anne, don't go to the hospital until it's time. Hold off until contractions start unless something seems off to you. As soon as you get to the hospital you get on their clock and you risk induction and possibly a c-section. Most labors that start with the water breaking - contractions should start up probably within 48 hours. Hang in there!

Also, don't go to the hospital until your contractions are strong. Going too early puts you on the clock still. I had 73 hours of labor with my first but water didn't break until they ruptured it when I was 6 cm. 

Another tip, don't let them know how long it's been since your water broke or their time limit will be cut much shorter. I"d recommend saying something like it broke a little while before you got to the hospital.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#10 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Anne, don't go to the hospital until it's time. Hold off until contractions start unless something seems off to you. As soon as you get to the hospital you get on their clock and you risk induction and possibly a c-section. Most labors that start with the water breaking - contractions should start up probably within 48 hours. Hang in there!

Also, don't go to the hospital until your contractions are strong. Going too early puts you on the clock still. I had 73 hours of labor with my first but water didn't break until they ruptured it when I was 6 cm. 

Another tip, don't let them know how long it's been since your water broke or their time limit will be cut much shorter. I"d recommend saying something like it broke a little while before you got to the hospital.

These are all good suggestions and I definitely agree.  I am actually having a hospital birth- I have both a MW and OB but once I go to the hospital my MW is my doula.  My OB is a wonderful dr. but I will not be telling her the truth about timing either because if my body isn't ready to birth then pitocin is too dangerous.

It has now been 32 hours with no signs of labor whatsoever.  In fact I feel more normal today and I don't think I am leaking any more fluid.  My plan is to wait until tomorrow then go to the dr's office playing stupid that I may have had a leak this weekend...non-stress test I am fine with, but I won't let them induce me if everything is still fine.

Wow- two bags?

#11 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 AM

penstamon,

I think everyone has 2 waters actually??? I think there is a fore water and a hind water. One of the bags can break and the other can be left intact. If the second one is intact, you are not at risk of infection. If you are no longer leaking fluid, then it's likely that this is what happened to you. Cuz you will continue to leak fluid until baby is born otherwise. 

#12 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Unfortunately, when I was in the shower, DH was freaking out and already made the call to the hospital. So they know that my water broke. I called back and asked if I could wait for contractions to start at home for a few hours, and they said it was fine. But I'm thinking if I go in 24 hours, they are not going to be too pleased and will want to induce right away. They said they induce after 12 hours of no contractions. It's now been 7. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#13 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 AM

DH screwed that up. Sorry to hear that. I would decline to be induced though. It's your body. I'd wait however long you felt comfortable to. They can't induce you unless you are there. So, I'd still wait for your contractions to start up at a good interval. Explain to hubby that what is going on with you is normal and he doesn't need to worry. 

#14 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post

Unfortunately, when I was in the shower, DH was freaking out and already made the call to the hospital. So they know that my water broke. I called back and asked if I could wait for contractions to start at home for a few hours, and they said it was fine. But I'm thinking if I go in 24 hours, they are not going to be too pleased and will want to induce right away. They said they induce after 12 hours of no contractions. It's now been 7. 

can you get on the DTD and nipple stimulation train to help get things going?

hug.gif

i hope labor starts soon for you, mama. and remember, you are in charge and if you don't want to be induced (& there's no urgency, babe is fine), you don't have to be induced just according to their protocol. it is up to you to make the decision. connect in with your baby. heartbeat.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#15 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

DH screwed that up. Sorry to hear that. I would decline to be induced though. It's your body. I'd wait however long you felt comfortable to. They can't induce you unless you are there. So, I'd still wait for your contractions to start up at a good interval. Explain to hubby that what is going on with you is normal and he doesn't need to worry. 

I agree. Try to wait it out and tell him that if you feel the need to go in you will. You know your body better than anyone else. I'd also want to hold of induction for as long as possible and hope that things move along on their own instead. Good luck!

#16 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

I just wanted to say that my water broke before my homebirth and it was 36 hours before contractions started.  Midwife thinks its because baby was posterior and just wasn't lined up right to put pressure on the cervix to get things going.  I had to wear a depends the whole time (and constantly change them as they soaked every few hours) kept monitoring my temp and well as baby's movements, and nothing in the vagina.  I drank tons of liquid which did the trick because I just kept gushing and gushing over that 36 hours so it definitely kept replenishing itself.

When the contractions did start though, it all happened super fast.  Just because you aren't having contrax, don't mean things arent going on.  Id be prepared for a possible super quick labor.

Try some lunges, birthballsittingg, pelvic rocks and hulahoop movements to get baby aligned better to apply to cervix.  Other than that, keep bladder empty, and rest up.  I was laying on my left side in bed playing playstation with my oldest son for 20 mins when the contractions started. 

Rest assured they will start.  INfection for prolonged membrane rupture is far less at home than in hospital when you are around all those strangers germs and them doing cervical checks. 

As long as you dont develop a fever, baby is still moving regularly (though it will probably be decreased as they are resting up for labor), and your gut tells you all is well, you should be fine.  I remember starting to think something was wrong or something but just when I relaxed and put my focus elsewhere, it kicked in.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#17 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Possibly your bag resealed? I agree with all the waiting and hanging at home as long as possible if you're not getting any negative indications (things like fever or concern with the baby's movement, your own intuition telling you differently) and stay as hydrated as you can stand to be so your body can keep replenishing your fluid.

Big hugs, hope things got going for you overnight!!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#18 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 AM

can i join the club. my water also broke at 3 am though last night.... still waiting for something to happen. Threw up around8

so something must be going on. Feel like i wasted all of that strong rrl tea and vitamins.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#19 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

56 hours after water broke and still nothing certain- no regular contrax although I have lost a good deal of mucus plug, possibly the whole thing (it was lost in the toilet pretty quickly but I felt it slide out).  I had no leaking yesterday but did have a small leak again at 6am this morning after having many bouts of diarrhea.  I decided to go to the dr cuz DH is getting antsy but I will not reveal the whole story to her, even though she is a fabulous OB.  The MW is supportive of a NST for peace of mind.  To complicate things I now have a head cold and slightly sore throat, no fever.  Only 3 hours of sleep last night...come on baby!  Please come on your own!  Still waiting to hear from the acupuncturist.

#20 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Hoping baby arrives soon! 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#21 of 27 Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 PM

any updates?  I hope your having a great babymoon!

Mama to a zoo!
#22 of 27 Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

It took 73 hours from water breaking to birth, but it was well worth the wait.  I ended up having a mild acupuncture induction ( not a forced induction) and started contracting at the appt.  The contractions slowly got closer together over the next 10 hours and I only spent about 1.5 hours at the hospital before DS2 as born.  It was a great birth, pushed for 15 minutes and really only had any pain during the last hour (transition and pushing).  DS2 latched right on and has been an easy baby.  Its DS1 that is needing the attention!  What a hard transition to two...

Moral of the story- trust your body and not the medical scare tactics.  I would have been on an iv with pit had I gone in after my water breaking.  Maybe even an unnecessary c-section.

#23 of 27 Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Congrats on your little boy!  Glad it all went great, sounds like a wonderful birth! :)

#24 of 27 Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Congrats on DS2!  I am so glad that you were able to trust your body and have a good birth :)  Best of luck as you settle in as mama to two.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#25 of 27 Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 AM

congrats mama and welcome to your little boy.  are you sharing his name and birth day (so i can add it to our birth announcement list)?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#26 of 27 Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Congratulations! Way to stick with your instincts!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#27 of 27 Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So happy for you penstamon! I have been stalking your DDC/thread for weeks waiting for an update! :) Hang in there with the sibling transition... it does get better. hug.gif

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page