Ultrasound at 38 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!  Congrats to all the Mommies and the new babies arriving...it is so amazing that the babies are finally here for this DDC.

I'm due 5/19 and I'm 38 weeks...my doc says the baby is about 8lbs, which is freaking me out!!!  Seems huge.  My doctor could definitely tell that I'm worried about having a big baby because I so don't want a C.  She's sending me for an ultrasound to confirm the size of the baby...I'm probably reading into this, but could there be another reason?  I hope everything is okay.  She said I'm doing great, although I'm not dilated at all, but the baby has dropped.  I didn't think to ask her when I was in the office if there was another reason for the US, but when I came home I began to worry.

Well good luck to all, hopefully more babies arriving soon!!!  Glad to hear everyone is well.  Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated.  Thank you.

xoxo

b

#2 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM

if the only reason she is sending you for an ultrasound is to check the size of the baby, then i honestly would not go!!! ultrasounds can be up to FIVE pounds wrong as far as weights go...i've known people who were induced because they had OMGHUGE babies had significantly smaller babies than the ultrasound said they would have. :/ 

plus, 8 lbs really isn't that big...some of the mom's in this DDC have already birthed 10 lbers! 

believe in your body and its ability to give birth. 

our bodies VERY RARELY grow children that don't fit.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#3 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Yep, what ryle said.

And I've had a 7lb 14 oz and 8 and a half lber without issue. My 5 foot tall friend has had 9 lbers. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM

You can go for the u/s but just bear in mind that they are notorious for being poor weight predictors at this point in pregnancy.  Often it is just a reason for an OB or medical midwife to schedule an induction..... they schedule when you aren't really ready to give birth... then a ton of hours later and baby not descending, you end up with a section and they say it was because the baby was too big.  Just my honest opinion.  I get the opposite issue- they say the baby is small-ish.  They do an u/s and come up with a weight.  The weight is based on a statistical formula based on head and chest size, well my last two kids just have tiny little heads.  It's a family trait but it completely skews the weight estimate off. 

If baby is in a great position and you go into labor naturally, you have a much better chance of birthing a larger baby than if they try and induce you with a slightly smaller baby when baby and your body are not ready.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#5 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

if the only reason she is sending you for an ultrasound is to check the size of the baby, then i honestly would not go!!! ultrasounds can be up to FIVE pounds wrong as far as weights go...i've known people who were induced because they had OMGHUGE babies had significantly smaller babies than the ultrasound said they would have. :/ 

plus, 8 lbs really isn't that big...some of the mom's in this DDC have already birthed 10 lbers! 

believe in your body and its ability to give birth. 

our bodies VERY RARELY grow children that don't fit.

Exactly!  How do they know that the baby is 8 lbs?  Truth is, they don't.  And an ultrasound isn't going to give you an accurate size of the baby either.  Personally, I wouldn't go to the ultrasound.  And don't doubt your bodies ability to do what it was made to do!!!  You can birth this baby naturally!  As Rylee said - it's VERY rare for women to have babies that don't fit.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Just echoing what all the other wise mamas have said!  And also, I've birthed two 8 pounders and it really wasn't that big a deal at all!  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#7 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 AM

My first was 8#, and I hope this baby will be at leas that! (Though I don't think it will be--hopefully we'll find out in a few short days!)

Aside from that, ditto to what everyone else has already said. U/S are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to predicting weight/size any time after 6-12 weeks. What makes your OB think the baby is already 8 lbs anyway? 

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys, thanks for all your responses.  I think the doctor sensed my worry of having a bigg(ish) baby.  She said she thinks I can handle an 8 lb baby, but I think she just wanted me to do it for my own peace of mind, because she saw how stressed I was at my appointment yesterday.

She thinks the baby is 8lbs based on what she feels....do you think that's more accurate than an U/S?  Ugh....I don't know what to do...I guess I really shouldn't worry about it, it's going to be what its going to be...and it seems most peeps are having 8lbers.

Okay, thanks again for your responses.  And again, congrats to all the new mothers!!!

xoxo

#9 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about it Beanie. And, no, a doc's guess is not any more accurate than an ultrasound. :) 

Baby will be the size it should be for you almost always. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM

DDCC - My second was 8lbs 7 oz and I didn't even have but one very small skid mark.  That's it.  And I just breathed her out...didn't even push.  I'm not huge (although not terribly small either...5'5", 130 prior to birth), and an 8+ lb baby was fine.  Don't let the weight scare you.  I understand it being a thought in your mind as it is in mine this time around because so much bigger than I've ever been.  The last few weeks seem to always be filled with anxiety about one thing or another, but try your best to let them go and focus on the great things that are about to be!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#11 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM

In the middle of my (very long) labor a doctor came in and felt my belly. He promptly told me that my baby was going to be very very large and that we should do something to get things moving. A few hours later I birthed my 7pm 4oz baby. Obviously he was wrong, but I think his guess had more to do with me being overweight and having gd than anything he physically saw.
#12 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM

DDCC

My DD1 was 7lbs14.5oz.  She came out (though she'd crowned before i began pushing) with 2 pushes, and didn't even turn to deliver her shoulders.  DD2 was 8lbs8oz and came from head-at-spines to out in 6minutes and again, she did not even turn to get her shoulders out.  I had a couple of small tears, small as in never got stitches small, which were painless within 2 days and healed within 5.  Seriously, 8lbs is a pretty normal size.

Also i know a woman who had GD and was induced at 36+4 as palpation and u/s showed a 10lb+ baby.  Her 5lb1oz baby spent the first 3 weeks in SCBU due to the effects of being such a teeny late-preemie.  Her #2, also with GD, came when he chose, no induction, at 41+4, with stark warnings of an 11lber predicted from U/S, and weighed 7lbs8oz.

#13 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM

haye was 8.3 when he was born and it wasn't a huge deal. i'm hoping for at least an 8lber this time around (so the diapers fit better! HA) and would gladly take a 9 or 10 lber over a 5 lber... 

i don't think size has lots to do with how difficult labour is...i believe it is more mind over matter. 

if you believe you can do it you will!

my midwife told me 2 weeks ago at 35w6d that she thought the baby was at least 6 or 7 lbs by now, and that she would be a good size.

don't worry, mama!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#14 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM

8 lbs doesn't seem very big to me. It seems like everyone I know has babies in the 8-9 lb range with no problems. Besides me, I have 6 lb babies and verrrrrry difficult labors lol. I am sure that your baby won't be too big! Enjoy the last few weeks (days possibly) of pregnancy. The baby will be here before you know it.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page