early labour or just "sore" from the membrane sweep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

alright, if you didn't know i am 38w1d and on 37w6d my midwife swept my membranes (which i honestly didn't really even feel even though i read it supposedly hurts like hell for most people). i was nearly 4 cm dilated and around 70% effaced with a super soft cervix that still needs to come forward a bit. about an hour and a half after coming home i had a BM and quite a bit of bloody show, mostly red. throughout the night wednesday and thursday i continued to have bloody show and lost what i assume is most of my mucous plug (gross, seriously gross!). i've had contractions (braxton hicks? i have no idea?)  off and on since the sweep...actually the day of the sweep i laid in bed for literally 6 hours i was so sore. if i am up walking, or kicking a ball with my son, or cleaning, or doing anything, really, they are more intense. they can last up to 5 minutes long, actually, with me having to breathe through them for a couple minutes. i just don't know how likely it is that they are contractions or just bh contractions? they aren't regular enough to do anything about yet, the most intense ones are generally never closer than an hour apart. any advice? anyone gone through something similar? i know that membrane sweeps only induce labour if your cervix is ripe and your baby is ready to come out, and i'm honestly fine with her not being ready yet if that is the case, i am more curious than anything...and sore...

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take it easy rye, get rest while you can, soak it up with little hate and be patient love! Your baby is coming.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#3 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

heartbeat.gif thanks, anna :)

i was just reading your bells palsy thread...ugh, frustrating!!!

#4 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM

Yeah, that's not labory sounding. Probably just your body prepping. And I think I remember that bloody show can happen just because of the membrane sweep but doesn't mean you'll go into labor. So, I'd just take one day at a time. I had painful and sometimes regular braxton hicks from a couple weeks before my second was born. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

thanks! i was 99% sure that it wasn't labour starting yet, but wanted to get some second opinions anyways! 
i'll be taking it easy over the next couple days and will try to stop stressing out about all the stuff we have to get done...my poor DH...i had a HUGE meltdown last night about how we had to clean our room before the baby is born so he mostly cleaned it on his own while i cried and watched tv. whistling.gif okay that sounds a bit more dramatic than it REALLY was but he did a really good job and i am sooooooooo much less stressed out. i plan on getting our list finalized over the weekend anyways but now i'll be able to relax a bit on it and take it easier. 

#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM

I agree with dayiscoming. I've been feeling the same way. I have contractions everytime I stand up from sitting or lying. I didn't have a membrane sweep(I have before and it was never painful for me either) but am dilated 2cm and 80% effaced. It definitely won't start labor unless your body is ready(I had a sweep with my 2nd baby and I was 5cm dilated at the time and he didn't come for 5 more days).

I hope you can rest and take it easy. It's hard and frustrating and I know for me every contraction has me thinking "is this it?" I know I will know when it's time as I've never had doubts before but it's still the thought that is there. Hugs mama!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

i'm sorry other people are going through prodromal labour, but i'm so glad i'm not alone in this!!! hugs to you too :)

#8 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

I had a very similar experience when I had my membranes swept with DS.  I had them swept on a Monday and I ended up having him Friday of that same week.  The entire week I was crampy, lots of bloody show and mucous, contractions that would come and go...  but by the time I arrived at the hospital (still doubting whether it was really labor) I was over 8 cm dilated!  Rest up and take it easy if you can and hopefully you'll be holding your little one soon!!!

#9 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

oh well that's excting! i am definitely getting increasingly more uncomfortable every day, and i know my body must be doing something, you know? 

User Tag List