Mothering Forum banner

Onset of labor: water breaks first vs. water breaks in labor. Different feeling/intensity?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ibusymomto5 
#1 ·
I have only experienced SROM labors--my water breaks and then labor begins. This is my 3rd go-round and I *think* I might be in early labor. I have no idea what contractions feel like when there is that little extra buffer of the amniotic fluid. Menstrual Crampy? Definitely contraction-y but totally manageable? Could someone please fill me in? LOL. I'm feeling really crampy--the waves come and go but there is still small level of crampyness between them. No bloody show or anything, and no mucus plug (though I didn't even lose that until my 1st push last time).

We had a busy morning at the farmer's market--I walked a whole bunch and now my hips and legs feel sore. Is my body just recovering? Gee, you'd think I'd know by now what it feels like to be in labor. Ha! I'm 39.5 weeks now, and since my first came at 39 weeks and my 2nd at 40 weeks, I'm hoping to have a tiny someone to snuggle very soon!

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lava mama View Post

I have only experienced SROM labors--my water breaks and then labor begins. This is my 3rd go-round and I *think* I might be in early labor. I have no idea what contractions feel like when there is that little extra buffer of the amniotic fluid. Menstrual Crampy? Definitely contraction-y but totally manageable? Could someone please fill me in? LOL. I'm feeling really crampy--the waves come and go but there is still small level of crampyness between them. No bloody show or anything, and no mucus plug (though I didn't even lose that until my 1st push last time).

We had a busy morning at the farmer's market--I walked a whole bunch and now my hips and legs feel sore. Is my body just recovering? Gee, you'd think I'd know by now what it feels like to be in labor. Ha! I'm 39.5 weeks now, and since my first came at 39 weeks and my 2nd at 40 weeks, I'm hoping to have a tiny someone to snuggle very soon!
That is what mine feel like when labor starts, but I've also been having those types of contractions for the last week, off and on. I would just time them and if they start increasing in intensity then you are probably in labor. Since you were walking around a lot you may just be dehydrated which brings mine on more frequently even though I'm not in labor(though the contractions are doing something since I'm at least 2cm all ready). A good way to find out is lay on your left side and drink lots of water...if they stop then they were most likely BH/pre labor contractions. Hope that helps...I've never had my water break until I'm in full blown labor and either pushing or past 8cm.

#3 ·
My last two labors I didn't experience rupture of membranes until either in transition or crowning. The contractions were just as intense (or moreso) as my first labor where my water was broken by the doc and I was given pitocin for 13 hours. No difference noted as far as easier or "buffered" contractions (don't I wish!), it just went waaay faster the last two times.

However, you might be having a different type of labor than before, so don't discount it! I've heard a lot of women who have that cramping sensation you are describing and then find out they're halfway dilated from that alone.

#4 ·
With the girls I just *knew* i was in labor from the first contraction. This time is weird. I keep experiencing pains that remind me of contractions but not as strong. I don't know if they're BHs or something else like baby just trying to move around in there. I didn't feel BHs with either kid. Why does it have to be soooooo confusing!?!?!?!

#5 ·
I am on my 5th baby and still wondering "is this labor?" "Could that be labor starting!!??" I just keep reminding myself that when this is IT, I will know it. And otherwise just eat, rest, etc., knowing that as soon as I'm supposed to know, I will :p

But I had SROM with my 2nd baby and not with the others. I felt his labor was a little more intense, but the two after him were also water births which makes a difference.

As for how my three labors without SROM have starting, they have all started as Braxton-hicks that had more of an "edge" and crampiness like period cramps that came quite regularly and eventually built up to strong contractions that were undeniably a baby birthing!

If I'm in doubt I just go about my day, eat well, drink plenty, nap midday, and sleep at night :) Might do some walking or lovemaking to encourage things, but I make sure I'm rested, too.

#6 ·
So yeah, not in labor. At all.
duh.gif
Last night would have been perfect too! Thank you ladies for responding--I really appreciate it. I felt better after a bit of laying down, water guzzling, and bathroom going. Figures! My DH works the next 3 nights (he's an RN) so I doubt I'll be going into labor until after he's been well-rested. I've never made it to my EDD without a baby, so this waiting thing is a bit frustrating!

#7 ·
If it makes you feel any better this is my 9th baby, and I still second guess myself when I go into labor! I have a tendency to blow it off for awhile thinking it's probably just more warm up stuff. I only know for sure when I'm starting to show signs of transition, chills, weepiness, wanting to not do it anymore. That's usually when we know it's time to call the mw, and surprisingly they've always made it in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.