Arya Shahin has arrived - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's a boy!  Arya (Ari) Shahin arrived at 7:35 pm on May 19th.  He weighed in at 6lbs 15ozs and is 20 1/4 inches long.

His birth story:   At 41wks+ 4days I was beginning to think the baby would never arrive.  My first daughter was 41wks+2days and 2nd daughter was 39wks+6 so I was becoming impatient and very stressed out since the medical midwives I had seen had put all this fear in me that the baby would be stillborn if I went past 40wks at my age.  I'd been having tons and tons of on/off contractions for days but as soon as I would sit or lay down, they would stop.  The only thing that got me through the wait was my awesome midwife and her assistants, plus DH.

On Thursday I went to my midwifes at around 11:30am and she was having an open house for new and expectant moms/clients of hers.  She asked me to come for a checkup and to hold some babies as she said the hormones seemed to put past due moms into labor.  Well, I got to hold some cutie pie babies and just couldn't wait to see my own.  I then went aside with the midwife to be checked- I was still about 4-5 cms dilated and stretchy.  She did a membrane sweep and I left when the open house was done.  Throughout the day I was having the on/off contractions but they were not timeable.  I had to take my dog to the vet at 6pm as he was sick so I figured that was a good distraction to all this prodromal labor.  When we were finishing up the vet visit I started to get an intense burning in my back that reminded me of my last labor.  I got in the car at about 6:30pm, having felt 2 contractions.  Walked in my house and sat down on the couch.  The contractions continued so I phoned the midwife and said I thought this was the real deal.  They said they'd be right over.  I called her at 6:50 pm.  As soon as I got off the phone the contractions became very intense and I began to have a lot of blood show.  I had to rock on all fours.  After about 20 mins I felt like the contractions were getting super intense and I felt that panciky transition feeling.  I told DH I was going to go upstairs to our bedroom and he could see things were becoming super intense.  He had our two daughters go into the other bedroom and asked my oldest to keep an eye on the youngest.  I asked DH to run the shower as I was becoming overwhelmed with an near pushing desire.  Two contractions later and I knew that DH would be delivering this baby.  I was standing against the bathroom sink and he told me to get on the bed.  He threw a bunch of chux pads down.  Baby started crowning and my water broke.  DH sort of coached me to push a little harder as the baby's head was only out.  I was sort of screaming due to the intensity and just burning feeling.  Baby came out with 3-4 pushes and a minute later the midwife arrived.

We are thrilled with our homebirth.  From start to finish the labor was about 1 hr long.  Too intense for me and I'm still processing.  Arya is just the sweetest little baby. It is such a relief that he is healthy- the placenta was totally healthy (no it didn't disinegrate at 40 wks) - and he chose when he was read to arrive.

#2 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Congrats!!! What an exciting birth. Glad you and your husband kept your cool- those short labors sure can be intense! Welcome to the world Arya!!

#3 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Congratulations, Karen!! partytime.gifWelcome, Arya! partytime.gif

That is so awesome - I'm so happy for you getting the homebirth you wanted, with the added bonus of knowing you were right to give Arya the time he needed!! YAY!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#4 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 AM

he sounds perfect! i LOVE his name.

i have to say though, all this multip pregnancy stories of intensely fast labours are making me pretty nervous!! haha. i should probably start sticking closer to home. we went to the beach yesterday and it's about a 20 minute drive away. the whole time i was kind of anxious that i would be delivering the baby on the beach (the hospital is right behind but honestly the hospital didn't even cross my mind hahaha). haye was like DON'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT MOM! YOU CAN HAVE YOUR WATER BIRTH HERE! THERE'S TONS OF WATER!!!!!!! we left shortly afterwards. mischievous.gif

sounds like your DH was a great coach and exactly who you needed with you at the time! congrats on your UC!!!!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#5 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Congratulations!!! Welcome Arya!!!joy.gif

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#6 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Welcome arya! Congrats mama!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 AM

blessings! wow, that was fast... congratulations and welcome arya!!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#8 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM

It seems like 41+1 is the magic number for moms in our DDC!

Congratulations on the fast, intense labor. It's over now and you have your sweet baby boy!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM

congrats, karen!  i'm so happy that he arrived on his own time and what a crazy, fast labor!!  

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#10 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Holy crap that's quick! Glad it all worked out and your husband was up for the job.

#11 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Congrats and welcome Arya! What an amazon birth smile.gif

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#12 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM

I meant amazing - damn iPhone!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#13 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post

I meant amazing - damn iPhone!

I feel you on the iphone.  Damn you autocorrect!  No, seriously... http://damnyouautocorrect.com/   I peed my pants laughing so hard at this site dedicated to the frustrations of iphones autocorrect feature.  I dont know if its one of those you have to own an iphone to truly apprecite it but man its great!

Amazing birth story!

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#14 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Congratulations on your little boy!! Fantastic story to read!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#15 of 16 Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post

Congrats and welcome Arya! What an amazon birth smile.gif

i thought you meant amazon. :) sounds like an amazing birth, like quiet out in the jungle style. DDCC- cos i am a perpetual lurker and birth story junkie. got another little one coming in a few months, and love to see that time creep up for you other mamas! joy.gif

Welcome to the world, Arya!

enjoy your new babe, KarenMT. fbbf.gifjoy.giflove.gif

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#16 of 16 Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM

congrats karen and welcome to your little boy.  so glad your wait is finally over (i know it was stressful) and what a great story.

i think the longer we wait, the quicker labor goes (mine was quick, but not quite that quick).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page