Learn from my pain, don't take castor oil as a laxative! (let alone an induction helper...) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For some context:

I've been having this horrific nerve pain due to severe entrapment from spinal fusions (it's a long story, but let's just say: yes I've tried it, before you ask ANYTHING - yes, I've tried it. I've been dealing with this for years and I am disabled partially due to it). For some reason, as pregnancy has progressed, I'm getting the most horrific symptoms when I try to go to the bathroom. I'm not entirely sure what's happening but there's some sort of screwed up mechanical trigger in my colon or rectum, so whenever I sit down and try to go, regardless of hard/soft stool, the resulting nerve pain is bad enough to make me throw up and/or pass out. It really, really, really is some of the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. It causes uncontrollable muscle spasms down the affected leg that have literally pulled it out of joint (I have benign hypermobility joint syndrome, so dislocations can and do happen very easily), and honestly the pain from the dislocation is a  *relief* by comparison to the pain of the nerve stuff. I already can't walk without a cane, and after a few days of this I can't even walk *with* one.

As you can imagine, this has kind of left me a little terrified to go to the bathroom. My kids are now so used to hearing me screaming from there that they don't even bother asking if I'm okay anymore, and that's getting a little weird for me. In effort to remove the mechanical aspect of the nerve trigger (ie. induce gentle diarrhea to see if that helps), I took HALF of one adult dose of castor oil as a laxative. I spent two hours beforehand pouring over medical journals and studies about castor oil's usage as both an induction aid and as a laxative to ensure that its usage at that dosage was not linked to labour induction and/or contractions. I have ZERO desire to push this baby out when I'm having this problem and even though I know the evidence for castor oil as an induction aid is sketchy at best, I do not want to risk going into labour before I'm ready. At the same time, I know it's regularly used as a "gentle laxative" during pregnancy at low doses without any concern that it will cause contractions, and I'm more comfortable with an oil laxative than one of the Rx ones. Those don't work for me at standard doses, generally requiring that I take a larger dose to have an effect... not something I want to experiment with when most of those are already contraindicated.

The recommended laxative dose was one tablespoon, so I took less than half of that. The tiniest teaspoon. It said it would work within 4-6 hours, so I went to sleep.

(And yes, this was discussed with my midwife as a way to control the nerve pain and ensure the risk of labour induction was nil).

It didn't start working for almost 10 hours! The first 15 minutes were fine and I thought, "This I can handle, this isn't too bad". But it quickly became an absolute nightmare. And after the day was over?... I think I would rather die than ever take it again. For real. I'm so glad my mother was able to watch my kids, because otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have not been fed or even *talked to* today. And while it did reduce the pain of the nerve trigger (I still had problems with it while going, but it was about half the strength of normal).

And that was at half - HALF! - the dose used as a laxative. I took just over one teaspoon, the laxative dose is a minimum of one tablespoon, and the labour induction dose? FOUR FREAKING OUNCES!! I think I would rather be stabbed through the anus with a flaming hot spear than take that much of it FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER!

Tomorrow I'm going into my doctor for a cortisone shot in my spine/hip in effort to help the nerve calm down a little (I got them regularly up until I was about 4 months pregnant and didn't seem to need them anymore). They used to work quite well for my nerve entrapment, though I've never had this particular style of pain until about a month ago in pregnancy, so here's hoping it does the trick!

I know that we're getting into the point where some of you are thinking of oil inductions and I just wanted to share my experience, or words of woe: know what you're getting into before you try it. I would RATHER give birth naturally four times in a row, back to back, than have another day like today again. For anyone considering it at 41 weeks? Two additional weeks of waiting is better than taking it. I swear to god! I don't know if my expeirence is completely atypical or what, but it was definitely a nightmare.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#2 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 AM

i'm sorry but i laughed! so. similar. to what i experienced with the "labour inducing cocktail". i have already written that part of the birth story out. ughhh. disgusting. NEVER. AGAIN.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#3 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Just the thread of castor oil scared my first child out! I bought it, told her if I got to 42 weeks I was taking it. About 2 hours before officially 42 weeks I started having contractions.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#4 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM
tzs

i don;t know if i'm 10 years old or what but any talk of poop gets me giggling. sorry i got a chuckle at the expense of your suffering :)

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#5 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM

What a terrible day! 

My experience with castor oil @41+w was not bad at all. I had mild diarrhea and my daughter was born swiftly. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Kawa - I'm so glad your experience wasn't like that!

Like I said, I used it purely for a laxative effect and took the *tiniest* dose to ensure I wasn't putting my body at risk for contractions (I didn't get any, for the record). I don't know if this was a horrificly atypical experience but GOOD LORD!

And it's okay for laughing, I can laugh a little too... 24 hours later. Maybe a little more in another month or two. ;)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#7 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

i totally had the 4 ounce dose. twice. in 4 hours. 

oh.

my.

gosh.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#8 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

ryleeee - I don't even want to think about what that would have been like. OMFG!

#9 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

I took it with my 2nd when she was a week late.  I think I took like 2 oz.  Not too much but enough.  So I thought.  I had the worst pain ever!!!  My bum hole burned like fire and I just wished there was a river I could sit in while I pooped so it wouldn't hurt so bad!  I ended up with horrible contractions after the pooping was gone.  They were so intense I knew it HAD to be labor.  I went into L&D and sure enough was having horrible but irregular contractions that were not dilating me at all.  I was sent home hours later to sleep it off.  When I finally woke up, the pain was gone.  No baby.  Ended up induced a week later at 42 weeks. 

About a week ago I had some constipation and had nothing but castor oil so I decided to take a tablespoon of it.  Guess what?  It didn't do anything.  Seriously.  Not only did I not end up in pain but it didn't even produce a BM.  Weird.  The next night, me and my son got a 48 hour virus that took care of that constipation though.  I pooped liquid for days!!!

Finally back to normal now. 

With my last birth, my water broke before labor started.  After about 30 something hours and no contractions, I took a few tbs of castor oil.  An hour later, the contractions started.  They were right on top of each other.  Never pooped though.  He was born after 2 hours of contractions.

I am definitely very weary of castor oil after my one bad experience.  

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#10 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View PostMy bum hole burned like fire and I just wished there was a river I could sit in while I pooped so it wouldn't hurt so bad!

That is exactly what I found myself thinking. I actually briefly considered sitting in the tub to poop. I figured that maybe if it was complete liquid it would go down the drain... right? EW!

#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

That is exactly what I found myself thinking. I actually briefly considered sitting in the tub to poop. I figured that maybe if it was complete liquid it would go down the drain... right? EW!

Ha, I know, the only reason I didn't was because I didn't wanna sit in poop soup, hahaha!!  Having my oldd peri bottle from the last birth came in handy spraying my bottom with warm water while this torture was going on.  However, it doesn't hold enough water so having to keep refilling was horrible.  thankfully sink was right by toilet.  Hmmm... Had I had a removeable handheld showerhead I totally would have been spraying my poor behind inthe tub and risked the chunks just to relief the fire.  Castor oil you are the devil!!!!

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#12 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM

On a different note, I had success with glycerine suppositories once, but then the next two times, they did nothing for me :( 

#13 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

My husband bought me a Fleet enema... and I'm considering it. I know it doesn't effect the intestines but after the CO thing I'm terrified it'll be just as bad!! Anyone have experience with an enema? I mean, I know it's not hearts and puppy dog flowers, but it's not like... miserably nightmarish, right? Please?

On the suppositories note: I've had IBS-C since childhood, and I have distinct memories of my mother sitting on me (to keep me still) on the bathroom floor while shoving those up my bum. Ick.

#14 of 15 Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Enemas are alot more gentle then laxatives.. BUT.. if you are dealing with nerve issues, I wonder if the fullness of the enema might be painful to you.

#15 of 15 Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM

You write: "I had the worst pain ever!!!  My bum hole burned like fire and I just wished there was a river I could sit in while I pooped so it wouldn't hurt so bad!  I ended up with horrible contractions after the pooping was gon."

You know that swallowing a good dose of Castor Oil is the best way to cleanse the liver? - You discribe exactly all the effects that will occure when really a quantity of poisons will leave the human body: the burning of the bum, the horrible contractions of the intestines. For you it is really necessary to repeat this several times in order to cleanse the liver from all posons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page