Baby B's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby B's Birth Story: Born 5/24 at 12:23pm, 8lbs, 12oz and 21 in long

Some back story: I had been having contractions off and on for a couple weeks…ever since I got a stomach bug one weekend. So at my 38 week visit my midwife checked me and I was 2cm and 80% effaced. I continued to have contractions off and on over the next 2 weeks, even calling the midwife at one point because they had been getting stronger(this was on my due date, the 22nd), but after going to bed they went away. On May 23rd, I had my 40 week appointment with my midwife, first time I’d ever made it to a 40 week appointment and I was very disappointed by this. But my Midwife checked me that day and I was 4cm and I had my membranes stripped. After the appointment I was really crampy and started to lose my mucous plug and have bloody show. I was having contractions and as the day went on they started to be about 10 minutes apart. That evening was my baby shower and as I hadn’t had the baby and wasn’t in labor yet we didn’t cancel. It was a great time and I was so glad I was able to have the time to go and enjoy being with my good friends. After the shower I debated over whether to try to get things going or just go to bed. I opted for bed figuring if it got serious I would be woken up and as I hadn’t slept well the night before I needed sleep(not to mention I knew it would be nice for the midwives to have sleep as they typically have to stay longer after my births). So I slept. About 6 am Tuesday(the 24th) I woke up to use the bathroom and noticed I was having contractions that were starting to be painful enough I couldn’t sleep through them. I continued to lie in bed though until 7:30, waiting to see if they would get stronger or if they would go away. They continued though so eventually I just got up. They stayed this way through mid-morning. I was able to still do things through them and talk through them. I went outside with my Mom, L and C to enjoy the nice weather. Dh went up to get some firewood from a friend and took K with him. I also vacuumed my upstairs. About 10:20 I called my Midwife to let her know that I had been having contractions 8-10 minutes apart all morning and that they were getting more painful. She told me to call back once they were 5 minutes apart. After that call they started getting closer together and were stronger so around 11:20 I called my Midwife and told her to come over. I let my Mom know everyone was on their way and I also called my SIL and asked her to come get the kids and texted dh and let him know to come home that I had called the MW and my SIL. (From here on out I pieced times and some other details together from my phone, dh, my Mom and the Midwives.) My Midwife let me know she’d be there as soon as she can as she was waiting on her dh to get home. (My Midwife, H, has another MW that comes to assist, K, and an apprentice, J for clarification as the story goes on.) So I think around 11:40 or so J showed up and came in and started to set up. I continued having contractions about 3-4 minutes apart but in between helped J a bit to set a few things up. Between contractions I was pretty relaxed, although my low back continued to hurt. I think my MW, H, showed up around 11:45-11:50 and got a few things out of her bag and wanted to check me. So I climbed up on the bed and she checked and I was 7cm (she recorded that I was checked at 12pm). I went through 1 contraction on the bed and knew I could NOT stay there so I told H I was going to get in the shower. So I got the shower going and hopped in…the hot water felt great on my low back. I was in the shower for just a few minutes when contractions suddenly got stronger and closer together. My SIL showed up at this time and I said good-bye to L and C. Within about 4 or 5 contractions I was starting to grunt and feel pushy. In my head I was thinking that there is no way I should be feeling pushy yet as I was just 7cm and I knew I would have lomger to go. But the contractions hurt SO badly and pushing lightly was a relief. So I told my MW, H, that I felt pushy and she said I needed to get out of the shower. Right then, the other MW, K(whom I also love I should mention), showed up and helped me out of the shower(and in her head is thinking, what? she’s ready to push all ready). Dh also walks in as I’m getting out of the shower. I get out of the shower and hobble slowly to the bed and get on it, lying on my right side. My MW, H, gets my heplock/IV in(this had been previously discussed as I need a bag of Pitocin post partum to help with bleeding). Right after the heplock/IV is in I’m needing to push. So K hops up on the bed to assist with the birth and I start pushing. It hurts like HELL so I’m pushing hard while curled up in almost a fetal position. As told to me later: As his head crowns in the first push, my water breaks slightly and then as I push again and the rest of his head comes out my water explodes, all over K, the other MW’s, the floor, my dresser and they think maybe the wall near the end of my bed. With 2 more pushes he was completely out at 12:23pm(after just his head was out I asked if he was all the way out because I couldn’t tell even though there was still pressure down there…I was definitely a bit out of it while pushing). Yes, you read that right I went from 7cm to a baby in 23 minutes, dh was there for all of about 10 minutes and my MW’s weren’t there much longer(K walked in right before dh and ended up catching the baby). After he was born they put him up on my chest. He was quite purple at first (Apgars were 7 and then 9) and so they had dh hold oxygen over his face to help him pink up. H immediately hooked up the bag of pit, while K just waited for the placenta to deliver. It came about about 15 minutes later. It sounds weird but I bled like a normal post birth woman  For me this is wonderful as usually I lose more blood than most, but not so much that I have to transfer. After the placenta was delivered Luke cut the cord. After my bleeding was under control they gave us time to hang out and snuggle with B. Around 3:30ish they weighed him(after he had had 3 huge poops) and he was 8lbs 13oz…he pooped again as soon as he was done being weighed so I asked them to weigh him again to see if he’d lose any and he was down to 8lbs 12oz which means that all my kids have weighed ½ lb more than the one before(though really B was probably about 9lbs at birth due to the amount of meconium he pooped out). Around 4ish they did the newborn exam and he was 21 in long and had a 14 ½ in head (I think…I’ll have to check at my 2 week pp apt). About 5 the MW’s left (they were wonderful through the entire birth and post birth) and the kids came home not long after that. They’ve been enthralled with B since…even waking me up in the mornings so that they can see him right away. I’m amazed at how wonderful they’ve been with him. It’s really going well.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM

lovely! welcome, baby b, and congrats, mama and family! love.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Welcome to the world, little one!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Congratulations! Welcome Baby B! partytime.gif

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:48 AM

congratulations...! I love to hear a good birth story like yours it gives me confidence when mine starts to wane. I bleed a lot too after a birth and have to have pitocin.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:50 AM

Congratulations!. Your birth sounds intense but lovely. Enjoy your baby.

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Congratulations!  Sounds like such a wonderful birth experience.  My girls are the same way, getting up early each morning and only wanting to know where the baby is to snuggle him.  Enjoy your babymoon.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post

congratulations...! I love to hear a good birth story like yours it gives me confidence when mine starts to wane. I bleed a lot too after a birth and have to have pitocin.

Glad I could be of help:). I forgot to add that I did also have a shot of methergyn and that combined with the pit worked great! I'm not a fan of drugs most of the time but there is a time and place for them and for me this is one of those times:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Congratulations!!

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Sounds great! Glad it went so quickly.

User Tag List