manny's wild ride part 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been here for weeks... after bells palsy / overdue / crazy labor and emergency c section because of knot in the cord... we had the crazy breastfeeding issues and I've been pumping around the clock and totally nuts. Including tons of finger / tube feeding and tears and late night pumping sessions and sleep deprivation.

Today the boy nursed with no assistance from 10-noon then we napped and now he is back nursing like a champ!
This has been the hardest 2 weeks of my life hands down. I still have the bells palsy but I am thinking that with more sleep and less stress with the nursing that thing will finally start to improve!

I have hope. Phew. It has been totally crazy.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

hug.gif you're an awesome mama!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

hug.gif you're an awesome mama!

you certainly are.  congrats on your little guy nursing.  hope you're feeling better soon.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

you're doing awesome!! manny is lucky to have you for his mom. it will get better! glad he's nursing well :)

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Im so sorry you are having to go through the nursing problems on top of all the other challenges/changes in plans.  I think the nursing issues I had with my first were the worst of all of it.  And kinda a fml/insult to injury after being so patient (42w5d), not getting to have a hb and having a c-section to boot.  I made plenty of milk but she had a tongue tie, I have large breasts and flat nipples...  we used a SNS, syringe fed.. finger fed.. bottle fed..did a nipple shield.  It was so hard.  She would scream when I brought her to the breast in the early days and it made me feel so so sad and inadequate.. not to mention that every feed required all the arms of Ganesh!

It felt so good that first time she just drank from the breast without all the contraptions!  Im seriously cheering for your success and hope it just gets easier and easier (it will!  I promise)

Just think of it this way.. first time motherhood is an INTENSE transformation.  Every mom is going to have challenges that test everything they thought they knew.. all their confidence.. all their limits.  You have had two (more, truly) intense weeks of transformation.. these lessons will make other things easier (I swear!)

Let hubby take care of you.  Congrats!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

Just think of it this way.. first time motherhood is an INTENSE transformation.  Every mom is going to have challenges that test everything they thought they knew.. all their confidence.. all their limits.  You have had two (more, truly) intense weeks of transformation.. these lessons will make other things easier (I swear!)

well said and so true!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Just seeing this now and sending hugs and hope that the progress you were seeing when you last posted has continued and you are busy nursing and done (or close to it) with all the other stuff.  Having just lived through all that *bleep* with the pumping etc, I know it is exhausting with a capital E.  Just chiming in with another "it will get better" encouragement...time and baby's innate smartness seems to take care of these things, when baby is ready.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies. It really does help to hear things get better. So I can say that things have definitely improved a bit - Manny is now feeding from the breast! We are now working to balance supply and try to get rid of the Damn formula which I still resort to a few times a day when my boobs are empty and he is still hungry. The improvement is great. I stopped pumping when he started to go to breast and did something to my supply. But the lactation consultants aren't concerned. I Am but they say everything will "even out".

I am back pumping as much as I can mostly pumping to emptiness and beyond after feeding to encourage the refill. I'm putting 2oz of formula in three times a day when its an emergency...

His weight is great. Birth 8lb 6oz now just over 9.5 lbs in 3 weeks. But I really want to ditch the supplements. Very open to any suggestions. I started a thread in breastfeeding but didn't get responses.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 AM

That's wonderful progress!!! 

Is the 6 oz (roughly) just formula, or a mix with breastmilk?  I think the extra pumping is a good idea if you have time, since the formula is milk that you aren't making, kwim?  If you can up your output to the pump, you can gradually replace the formula supp with breastmilk for the finger feeds, and then transition (either slowly, or quickly if he's up for it, which he very well might be!) from giving it via supplement to direct from the boob.  If you are really concerned about boosting supply, you could try fenugreek and blessed thistle, or eating loads of oatmeal, just to give the pumping some assistance.  Good info here http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html and here http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

You could also try giving the supplements via supplemental nursing system at the breast.  Essentially, take your finger feeding tube and insert it in his mouth while he's latched on, or try to latch him on with it taped to your breast, if you can manage that - it can be tricky to learn to use and get baby to accept.  He might be expecting the faster reward of the supplement and still get frustrated at the breast during those slow-flow times for a little while...the supplemental system would help with that if you can work it, and the you can start holding back the supplement gradually so he takes more from the breast and gets used to dealing with times of day where you aren't quite as full (which is normal...late afternoon and evening are my slow-flow times).

It sounds like he has improved by leaps and bounds, I am sure the trend will continue - it's just ironing out those last little wrinkles, and your lactation consultants are probably right, it will all even out with a little time :)  Great work, momma!!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is amazing how much things have improved. the 6-7 oz are in the. form of 3 'emergency' bottles. once in the evening, once at 5am feed and once during the day I'm tapped out at the boob right when he needs more food to be stated. luckily he is taking the boob all the time so I'm totally off the finger and tube. its just the slow flow bottle for these quick hits of food. So my only concern is upping the breastmilk supply and I'm doing as much as I can with the pump. I'm trying the non stress approach of not running to the herbs. I'm trying to hope things even out over weeks 4-6 and my supply catches up. I am doing mama tea and pumping myself dry at every feeding. Am also dry pumping when I give formula. We are so close. So close.

I really want the bells palsy to start going away and I think that getting closer and closer with the breastfeeding is going to help in terms of alleviation of stress.

edited to add Oh. bluepetals I see what u are saying... instead of the bottle do the supplement through the tube at the breast. hmmm thinking about it you are so right... 8 think he is getting a little used to these quick hits... and this morning he took in an ounce I'd formula when I pumped there were two oz (across both breasts.) I had given him a second shot at both sides too. Damn. the good thing about that bottle is how nice itis to be off that Damn tube.

I am so curious as to what things will be like when he hits six weeks. I hope to be able to take him to the lake nearby and air in the shade. that's how I imagined at least a little of my maternity leave. bit will I still ne chained to the pump? ugh.

User Tag List