Continuously pregnant!!!!!! Tell me about stripping membranes for home birth.:) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I attempted the EPO on my cervix last night, administered by myself-fail.I cannot reach my own cervix, so I just got em up as high as I could.Naturally, nothing.So, I asked DH to try this morning.....OW!!!!! He cannot even get his (unclipped) fingers in without hurting!!!!! So, no go on that.I do not need rug burn right before labor!

So, I'm wanting our midwife to come up tonight (after ds's birthday party that we've put off for 2 weeks now) and do the oil and wait a few hours (she lives a 2 hour drive away.) or just strip my membranes.I've never had a strip or my waters broken,so tell me of your experiences!:) I am now 15 days "over".I really just need to have this baby!

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Stripping membranes sounds way scarier than it is.  My CNM did it at one of my last appointments with dd1.  I didn't even feel much.  She just put her finger into the space between the cervix and the bag of waters.  I'm not sure it had much effect, though.  I still went overdue by more than a week.

With dd2, I decided I would use EPO capsules vaginally starting a week and 4 days before my due date.  I did it one night and woke up in labor the next morning. 

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
tzs

i had mine stripped this time and either it worked or it was coincidence since i went into labor the next am. i was also 3 cm dilated and totally effaced. i figured it couldn't hurt anything so might as well try. it really only felt like a cervical check...i didn't even think my ob had done it until i asked to make sure he remembered to do it. there is a small risk of your water breaking but maybe that would work just as well, no?

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#4 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM

My midwife tried to strip my membranes at 40 weeks (with my permission, of course)...I was only about 1 cm dilated so she wasn't able to get at the membranes in order to sweep around them, but she did do some stretching of my cervix, and she used EPO instead of lubricant on her glove.  Maybe I was ready to go anyway, but I was in labour about 36 hours later.

I would have thought all that poking and prodding would be uncomfortable, but it wasn't bad at all.  The worst was (and it wasn't painful) when she brought my cervix forward (it was still quite posterior)...all of a sudden tons of pressure on my bladder like I had to pee.  She said baby's head moved down a good centimetre or two just from doing that.

#5 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM

I've had it done with 3 of my 4 pregnancies...the first two it didn't do anything(even at 5cm dilated with my 2nd) but with my most recent little guy I had them stripped and he was born less than 24 hours later. I was all ready 4cm and 80% effaced. You do have to be dilated so that they can get in to strip them. With my first two it didn't hurt but with the recent one it did...it was a different MW than I had with my first two and I also think that she did a really good sweep to help get things going as I'd all ready been having lots of contractions just wasn't going fully into labor. I hope it works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page