frequent nurser - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby Natalie still nurses frequently at almost 2 months... usually every 1-2 hours, longer only if she takes a long nap, which is once a day at most. Should I be concerned or do something differently? Part of it is that she nurses to sleep for naps and she always wants to nurse when she gets up from naps, AND her naps are almost always short. To boot she is a bit on the fussy side. Any advice/insight?

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#2 of 6 Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM

It sounds pretty normal to me, but you would know best ;)  Is she pooping and peeing enough?  Gaining well?  Assuming yes, then it's not like she's going back to boob alot because she's not getting enough.  This might just be her pattern for nursing.  It is tiring, though, I know - DS2 was a frequent nurser like that (oversupply contributed to it, I think - any chance you are dealing with that?) and DD is pretty frequent as well.  She will go a 3-4 hour stretch once at night, then a couple of 2.5 hour stretches, and then during the day she is a short napper and usually doesn't go longer than 2 hours between nursing sessions.

#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM

p.s. our babies are about the same age, I think - DD is 8 weeks old now.

#4 of 6 Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Sounds perfectly normal!  Mine have certainly all been that way.  At 3 months (when I go back to work) feedings become less frequent.  I nurse right before I leave, DH gives one morning bottle (of pumped breastmilk), I nurse at lunch, then DH gives one to 2 more afternoon bottles before I get home at 5:30 or 6:30.  My leaving is probably the only reason feedings become less frequent though.  My babies seem to nurse more frequently the days I'm home (I only work 3 days/wk) I think for comfort even more than nourishment.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences. She is gaining well and pooping a ton. Talked to my midwife about it today and she said not to be concerned.

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#6 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM

My DD is the same way.  Her nursing is even more frequent in the evening and she'll pop off long enough so I can burp her. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page