red bleeding at 6 weeks PP? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi May Mamas!

just a question, wondering if anyone has much thoughts on this....

i am at 6 weeks PP tomorrow.  i didnt loose much blood during birth, and by 2 week my bleeding significantly dropped off.  by about 3.5 weeks i wasnt bleeding at all, except for occasional spotting.  this was my first birth.

last weekend my parents came to visit us (and by us i mean they really came to see their grandchild), and on the day that they left i had bright red blood in the morning.  it is always just a little stressful to me when they, or my partners parents come to visit.  my mom is super helpful around the house, there has just always been some tension between us.  

i rested for that day and bleeding subsided.

now, this morning, thursday, i have red bleeding again.  we had busy days on tuesday and wednesday, a little bit of family stress last night, but none of this seems too busy or major in comparison to before baby.  i also got very little sleep last night, due to LO's frequent night nursing.  

so, today im doing my best to keep my butt on the couch.  this is hard for me, but i know increased bleeding is the sign to chill out.  just curious if a tiny bit of stress or increased sleep loss can really make me bleed more?  could it be a sign of something problematic?  my hemoglobin is good, but i am very tired.  

this is all probably normal, i need to rest more even though i feel ready to be out and about, but i just wanted to share and see if any one has experience with this and any thoughts.

thanks in advance! lis

#2 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Hi lis, it could just be your period. I am almost 7 weeks PP, also my first child, and I just got my period which is also bright red. I was told that it could come around this time so it wasn't a surprise to me when I woke up this morning and went to the washroom did I notice my periods have officially returned to my life. I do have to say though, I did not miss it the last 9 months. However, if you are still concerned and don't want to stress yourself out more then you need to, I would go see the doctor.

Hope this helps, All the best mama...

lisa

#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Bleeding again around 6 weeks is pretty common, and I think the typical rule is if it's within 56 days (8 weeks) of birth, it's probably postpartum bleeding and not a period.  There are two other threads here on the DDC with people posting about bleeding at 6 weeks, check them out :)  Here is one where mamachef mentions why it's common for bleeding to recur at this time...

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1317285/postpartum-bleeding#post_16512169

#4 of 5 Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

My bleeding has been on and off, as well as cramping, and I'm over 6 weeks PP now.  Uterus is still working it's way back to normal. 

lismcc likes this.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#5 of 5 Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

yes i think my uterus is still working things out.  i cant imagine it is my period, as i am breastfeeding SO frequently.  i do think stress and activity is triggering the release, and just general fatigue.  i have this feeling that i "should" be doing more than i am actually able too, but truthfully i need to rest.  pregnancy and birth take a toll on your body, no matter your age.  im pretty young, 24, and felt great through out pregnancy, birthed well... but it is still a BABY and a pretty big deal.  

bleeding has subsided a good bit today, darker in color and only there when i wipe.  im keeping an eye on it, but ultimately i think my uterus is still shrinking.  i got back into to taking motherwort tincture this week to help my uterus contract and shrink down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page