Nursing Mamas?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seafox~ my first was exactly 2yo when ds was born aned my second was 2 1/2 when third was born, and i had no problem tandeming. and my dd1 was IN LOVE with nursing!!! she was the quintessential "lounge nurser"! and she had no problem sharing nursies. several of my friends had the same spacing, and they all had no problem. just so you know, so you don't go into it thinking that it might not work b/c of the spacing. good luck!!!

ashtree~ have you ever tried pumping while baby is nursing on the other side? i got the most milk out doing that, as the letdown had already occured. good luck!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 107 Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee'smom View Post

ashtree~ have you ever tried pumping while baby is nursing on the other side? i got the most milk out doing that, as the letdown had already occured. good luck!!!
Awesome idea! i will definitely try that. thank you so much!
#63 of 107 Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
i know what you mean... i nursed my older two until they were 4 1/2 yo, but i also had another newborn, so i had milk. (i dry-nursed through the pg, and then they nursed after baby came). my third is only 3 1/2, and i lost my milk a year ago (after 7 straight years of nursing), so she has been dry-nursing here and there, but i think this is it for her. it feels weird for me b/c of how long the first two nursed.

he's only 1 though, right? can you just nurse, and not use the lact-aid, since he's on solids anyway? hugs mama... that must be hard. (and i LOVED seeing how big your family is!!! congratulations!!!)
He is 14 months. I have offered and offered to nurse w/o the supplementor, but he just will not even latch on w/o it. My experience has been this is too early to wean from the supplementor w/ my others. So my plan is to bring the lact-aid out again and work on getting him nursing. In a month or two I can try to wean him from it again.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#64 of 107 Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM

I keep meaning to post. When I became pregnant with my son I was still nursing my 2yo daughter. For some reason when I got to the five months my daughter didn't like the taste of my breast milk anymore. I don't know if it was b/c of hormonal changes or maybe she was just ready to wean. She went to whole milk and i heated it on the stove and put it in a glass cup for her to drink out of and she called it "milk tea". Even now at age six she will sometimes ask me to make her "milk tea".
#65 of 107 Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM

I was able to get Finnian to nurse again. He was beyond upset yesterday at naptime at my offerings, but today he is nursing and sleeping at the breast before naptime. I am thrilled.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#66 of 107 Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
seafox~ my first was exactly 2yo when ds was born aned my second was 2 1/2 when third was born, and i had no problem tandeming. and my dd1 was IN LOVE with nursing!!! she was the quintessential "lounge nurser"! and she had no problem sharing nursies. several of my friends had the same spacing, and they all had no problem. just so you know, so you don't go into it thinking that it might not work b/c of the spacing. good luck!!!

good to know! I keep only seeing folks w/ three year spacings for some reason. The sharing is tough though since he does seem pretty possessive. I think he can tell we are nursing a bit less so he's getting a bit more clingy lately as well and won't delatch himself for a super.long.time. But hopefully he gets used to our frequency of late and that gets a bit better.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#67 of 107 Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Update on BF vs MS - I'm nearly 8w and less nauseous than expected. I'm still affected and feel yucky but it's not 24/7 misery. It could all be unrelated, of course, but thought I'd update.

My LO is 12mo and has been a beast to nurse down at nights and has been otherwise unhappy when nursing. I don't feel like my supply is very diminished, I tasted my milk and it's still sweet - my prev daughter told me it tasted bad while pregnant. I don't know, she's the expert and not happy

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#68 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM

how are the nursing mamas doing?

I'm working on getting the babe to fall asleep without the breast. so tender! great so far!

#69 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM

It is going better here. Finnian is nursing down for nap, but being difficult to nurse down at bedtime. Maybe too much going on in the living room. I could move to my bedroom, but it is much warmer by the woodstove. I am now working on him nursing w/o the Lact-aid. My problem is he is a total business nurser and not emotional attached to nursing as many of my others were.

#70 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
how are the nursing mamas doing?

I'm working on getting the babe to fall asleep without the breast. so tender! great so far!
Oh, i would so love to be able to do this! I don't see it happening, though. How are you going about it?

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#71 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
Oh, i would so love to be able to do this! I don't see it happening, though. How are you going about it?
What's been working for her is once she's full and onto comfort nursing (which she can do FOREVER) I take her off and tell her lay down and go night night. I rub her back a little or pat her. Sometimes she fusses a bit, not crying or anything but it's short lived. Most of the time we co-sleep but I aim to have her in her crib for at least a little while at night. Last night she wasn't going to turn me loose when I laid her down so I sat on the floor and shh shhh hushed her and rubbed her head for a couple minutes and she was out. A Christmas miracle!

#72 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM

ds is still nursing strongly over here. he nurses down for nap and night time. my nips are soar, but only for the 1st few sucks on each side.
i am also thinking as pp mentioned about 2 night nursing after the new baby arrives. dh has volunteered to take over night time parenting in the spring so that i can get more sleep and prepare for the baby. is spring enough time before june? i feel like he should start sooner rather than later, but he works ft and goes to school online at night. i feel bad though b/c ds is so young and all he has known is night time nursing to settle back to sleep.
i'm going to try read the no cry sleep solution and see if i can get some ideas. has anyone read this?
ds usually will only go to sleep if he is secured (in the wrap, stroller, or carseat) unless he is really tired (like last night and this mornings nap when he just nursed to sleep).

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#73 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 PM

astar - have you read this article? i've had friends with success from this method as well as the no cry book.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

#74 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What's been working for her is once she's full and onto comfort nursing (which she can do FOREVER) I take her off and tell her lay down and go night night. I rub her back a little or pat her. Sometimes she fusses a bit, not crying or anything but it's short lived. Most of the time we co-sleep but I aim to have her in her crib for at least a little while at night. Last night she wasn't going to turn me loose when I laid her down so I sat on the floor and shh shhh hushed her and rubbed her head for a couple minutes and she was out. A Christmas miracle!

This is *exactly* what we are headed towards. My lo is still nursing quite a bit and I haven't start the heebie jeebies with nursing and I hope I don't. But she is getting to the point where she just messes with me instead of sleeping. Pulling my hair, scratching at me, that sort of thing, just generally showing horrid nursing manners. When this happens I tend to have dh start to put them down and he can get them to self soothe and go to sleep on their own somehow. I don't question it I am just thankful that they will transition with him that way.

As for the nursing v ms thread....I lost 15 pounds nursing through my 1st tri with my third baby. This one a bit of weight loss and ms but I think it's more the babe than the nursing for me

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#75 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM

my ds is 2 and he nurses to fall asleep, but it doesn't take very long, so I haven't really felt motivated to change anything. he doesn't nurse during the night anymore, only to fall asleep. i've been wanting to see if he can learn to fall asleep on his own, as it would make things so much easier once the new babe is here...and speaking honestly, I don't know that I'm cut out for tandem nursing. i figure he'll be nearly 3 by the birth, that's not a bad nursing run he's had. my breastfeeding book says that something like 65% self-wean during pregnancy sometime. I secretly hope this is the case with us!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#76 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM

i'm still nursing my 2.5 yo son (oh, if i only had a crystal ball when he was born and in the NICU for nearly 2 weeks and i had to work to get him on the breast!) and he has no indication of wanting to self-wean. i would love it to come from him rather than me, but he still nurses at night and i have been so tired lately (i've been staying up late working on some side projects and then so frustrated when he wakes right before i want to crawl in bed). i honestly don't mind nursing but really wish i could successfully nightwean. i have read various books and tried various things, but he is SO attached to the comfort of nursing at night, and my husband is no help at night because he insists he will take over only when he is completely weaned. ugh.

any suggestions for night weaning - things you're having success with - would be appreciated. i wouldn't be too torn up if he weans during the pregnancy. he will be a little over 3 when baby arrives.
#77 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'm curious - have any of you noticed a difference in morning sickness while nursing through a pregnancy?
I had really bad morning sickness with my first child. I still nursed her about halfway through my pregnancy with my second, and had minimal morning sickness with him. So I did notice a difference, but it could have just been coincidence.

I haven't nursed for a couple of years now (they're 5 and 7) so it'll be a brand new experience with this one. Kind of looking forward to it. I miss nursing.
#78 of 107 Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabblersupreme View Post
any suggestions for night weaning - things you're having success with - would be appreciated. i wouldn't be too torn up if he weans during the pregnancy. he will be a little over 3 when baby arrives.
no personal experience here, but i have heard some people used a sippy/bottle of water to help sooth a lo back to sleep. or rocking, patting, singing.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#79 of 107 Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

It's going pretty badly here to be honest. The girls are nursing 3-4 times a day and waking 2-4 times (EACH!) at night to nurse. My nips are very sore and I feel like throwing up when they wake me at night. I am too sick and too tired to do anything about it right now. In other words... Boo Hoo!!

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#80 of 107 Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm still nursing my nearly 3 year old. He has no interest in weaning, so I have dh sleep with him at night so he doesn't ask to nurse every two hours. This works well when dh is home, but most weeks this fall he is gone a few nights for work. I'm not particularly sore, but I do find it annoying.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#81 of 107 Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm on night three of getting la niña to sleep in her crib and without nursing down (obviously!).

My DP is currently working from about 6:30am to 12am five days a week so it's all me around here with the 1st tri icks and a whole pack of little ones to look after. I'm spent. I have such a difficult time falling back to sleep once the babe wakes to nurse several times a night and her getting to sleep via boob in my bed takes hours, my nipples are sensitive so something had to give. I don't want to co-sleep as a rule and a must throughout my pregnancy and I really don't want to tandem nurse all night long.

Gah! It's heartbreaking to me because a couple months ago we were all night buddies and now I'm slowly inching her away when, if I were not pregnant, I wouldn't feel a push. When I 1st got my BFP this is what worried me - the transition I wasn't quite ready for. The baby becoming a big brother/sister is always heart wrenching and bittersweet for me especially this time because she still is a baby. She's just learning to walk! I feel sad about it but when I woke up this morning and realised that she slept all night...

I wanted to buy her a pony I felt so good.

So, that's where we are. She's done well and tonight it took 45m rather than an hour plus for her to fall asleep. She just needs to know I'm close.

In other nursing news I'm looking forward to nursing a newborn! As charming and maddening as all of the toddler nursing idiosyncrasies can be (pulling, tapping, groping, tweaking, fingers in nose, dental exams etc etc etc into infinity) I can't wait for the quiet ease and abandon, the complete satisfaction that a new baby has at the breast.

#82 of 107 Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

In other nursing news I'm looking forward to nursing a newborn! As charming and maddening as all of the toddler nursing idiosyncrasies can be (pulling, tapping, groping, tweaking, fingers in nose, dental exams etc etc etc into infinity) I can't wait for the quiet ease and abandon, the complete satisfaction that a new baby has at the breast.

i am looking forward to this too.

ds nurses throughout the day to nap and for 30 mins-1 hour before bed. a few times i have become so frustrated with him not nursing off to sleep but rather trying to roll, crawl, & stand with my nipple still in his mouth! ouch! that's when i ask dh to wear him down. i was wearing him down on my back in the ergo, but it hurts my uterus.

so i can't wait for a non rolly, crawling, standing baby to happily nurse all day long.

#83 of 107 Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Wow. I read this and I thought, these are amazing mamas!

My dd is 5 and barely nursed, at night before bed during one of the books we read.

I found out I was pregnant and we continued.

And then my breasts just about tripled in size and ache and I have morning sickness and I just asked her if  we could skip it one night. She was content with "under arm" - she nestles under my arm as we snuggle and read.  And she hasn't nursed since. I kind of wish I knew when the last time she nursed was. It was probably two weeks ago.

I am surprised by the morning sickness comments, that it would help (and oh if I thought it would, I would latch her on right now!) because it is hard enough to eat (hate eating right now) for this insanely hungry growing baby, if I was nursing a child (and I mean like some of you are) I would have to eat around the clock!

Seriously, must be commended for the effort you are making. Tremendous!

And all the great posts about nursing a newborn again! It's so weird for me to think about it again, it'll be 6 years later!

#84 of 107 Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Oh my gosh, a long response of mine just got deleted, I hate that! I'll update later.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#85 of 107 Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM

still nursing away here! I am really wondering how bedsharing is going to go once the new baby comes, my son is a really wild sleeper. I know it won't be safe. I'm thinking of trying to transition him onto a mattress in our bedroom floor soon. I don't mind nursing him to sleep right now. 1 day at a time I guess...

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#86 of 107 Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashantx View Post

still nursing away here! I am really wondering how bedsharing is going to go once the new baby comes, my son is a really wild sleeper. I know it won't be safe. I'm thinking of trying to transition him onto a mattress in our bedroom floor soon. I don't mind nursing him to sleep right now. 1 day at a time I guess...

i'm thinking the same thing. ds rolls a lot so i worry about the 4 of us in bed together. i am working on night weaning him (i just read the no cry sleep solution for toddlers which has a lot of ideas) and then having dh take over the nighttime parenting once he is weaned. the end result i am hoping for is ds comfortable in a mattress on the floor in the room next to ours (which shares a door) whether we will manage this by June is a big question.

#87 of 107 Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

tashantx and astar326,

when dd2 was born I put a crib (with the front removed) up against our bed. It went dh, dd1, me, and then dd2 on the side with the crib. She still slept in the bed but the crib was there in case she rolled.

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#88 of 107 Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

I really think my milk supply is diminishing.  My DD is nursing twice a day.  One major fest in the AM as soon as she wakes up (Halleluia to sleeping through the night!  I would be a zombie otherwise!) and one in the afternoon, usually after napping.  Sometimes she asks to nurse otherwise, but the pain of latching, plus I'm pretty sure there's not much there, makes me try to distract her to other things.  I'm a little sad at this.  I have LOVED nursing my daughter.  Who knows?  We might continue and be tandem nursing in a few months.  She's still my baby, but she's growing up.  I can really see us being done by her second birthday.  Ah well.  I won't think about it too much.  I'm pregnant and the hormones will make me cry!

Not many people know that I'm pregnant, but my MIL (sweetly pro-nursing although a character) asked, "Oh my goodness!  What are you going to do about nursing Clara?" Once she heard the news.  I said, "One, a lot of women loose their milk while they are pregnant.  Two, Clara may reject the milk as it changes to colostrum.  Three, we may decide to gently wean her depending on how things go. or Four, we may decide to nurse both babies at the same time!"  It will be interesting if I get more responses. 

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#89 of 107 Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluvmama View Post

tashantx and astar326,

when dd2 was born I put a crib (with the front removed) up against our bed. It went dh, dd1, me, and then dd2 on the side with the crib. She still slept in the bed but the crib was there in case she rolled.

My son will be 4 or almost 4 when this l/o arrives, I'm not opposed to tandem nursing but am pretty much ok with weaning at some point too. I know it will bring on a lot of emotions b/c he is my baby right now and we struggled in the beginning making our b/f relationship even more precious to me. I think I'll be ok though. Another option for us is allowing my ds2 to sleep with my 11 y/o ds1 for a while. If all else fails the crib option or me in the floor on a mattress with baby might work. lol...

Aww Josie I know how you feel about the latching. It's getting slightly irritating here but manageable. I haven't gotten a lot of remarks yet...I think I've been slightly defensive and most of the people around me know to keep any negativity to themselves. I think when I didn't stop @ 2 then 3 y/o they learned nothing they said would stop me. All in all I know there are whispers behind our backs about many of the decisions we make for our family but I'm not worried about it as long as it's not discussed around my kids.

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#90 of 107 Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm still nursing my nearly-3 year old but it really hurts now.  I don't think I can manage much longer but he is very against weaning.  Usually I just nurse him for a couple minutes in the afternoon and at bedtime, but he would nurse more if I'd let him.  I tandem nursed dd and ds but she was a lot younger and I don't really feel like nursing anymore redface.gif

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page