Nursing Mamas?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

weliveintheforest, i've been experiencing a lot of nipple pain too when ds nurses throughout the night. i hope to night wean him before june, but he is teething now so it's hard. he held my nipple hostage for 3 hours last night! i couldn't break the seal. i ended up falling asleep, but waking every time he started to nurse again. last week he was getting accustomed to releasing my nipple and falling asleep next to me on his own. but with lots of teething this weekend, we have slid backward. i hope my nipples and patience hold up.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#92 of 107 Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

teething is so hard for night weaning :(  my ds nurses a couple of times through the night but usually I can unlatch him after only a minute. It's just his way of re-orienting himself when he wakes.  I wish he wouldnt wake so much!  I like to send my dh to him instead but dh has been working out of town  lately so it's just me.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#93 of 107 Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 AM

last night was better for us. i nursed him and then he rolled away and fell asleep for most of the night (we did eat a big dinner last night, so that may have helped). then each time that he woke up i fed him both sides and sang him back to sleep with a whispered "hush little baby" (making up the words that i forgot). 4 out of 5 times he was asleep again before i sang through it once. i am hoping we can keep this up while we are staying at my in-laws over the next 5 days.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#94 of 107 Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Do any of your nurslings have constant loose stools these days? I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my little girl.

At first I thought the newborn-like texture, color and frequency of her bowel movements (with added evidence that she eats like the rest of the family eat.gif) was because she had a little juice (her 1st time) on Thanksgiving but it never stopped. I was reading a bit in Adventures in Tandem Nursing that colostrum can do this to nurslings but I'm pretty sure I still have regular old milk. shrug.gif

Oh, and night weaning is going great! There are rough nights with bigtime teething but for the most part I'm happy with the progress! She and I have worked HARD to get where we are and I'm proud of us smile.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#95 of 107 Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Do any of your nurslings have constant loose stools these days? I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my little girl.

At first I thought the newborn-like texture, color and frequency of her bowel movements (with added evidence that she eats like the rest of the family eat.gif) was because she had a little juice (her 1st time) on Thanksgiving but it never stopped. I was reading a bit in Adventures in Tandem Nursing that colostrum can do this to nurslings but I'm pretty sure I still have regular old milk. shrug.gif

Oh, and night weaning is going great! There are rough nights with bigtime teething but for the most part I'm happy with the progress! She and I have worked HARD to get where we are and I'm proud of us smile.gif

Mine has been having diarrea (sp?) type stools for a long time. I couldn't figure out if he had a stomach bug or not. Once I read your post a light went on! We have been weaning. He's been picking a sippy cup with water over mom during the day for over a week now. Anyway we went about 48 hours with no nursing and his stools were vastly improved. We nursed last night and this morning and today it was loose again. I am glad to have a theory now.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#96 of 107 Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

i'm so happy things are working for you both. could the loose stools be teething related?

vlad has been having looser stools than normal. i'm attributing these to teething. or the fact that with the pain and discomfort of teething he has increased nursing (especially at night).

before this recent bout of teething started, we were down to nursing 2 times through out the night (ok this only happened once, but the nighttime feedings were decreasing). but since the teeth have started poking through, we are back to nursing 7 times a night. i'm sooo tired. i can't wait for this episode of teething to cease so we can resume our night time weaning.

#97 of 107 Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astar326 View Post

could the loose stools be teething related?

You know what? This could easily be it. She's getting quite a few teeth right now. You'd think after having so many babies nothing would be a mystery but the mystery of why things happen seems eternal for me innocent.gif I hope you and the little boy love get some good rest soon!

#98 of 107 Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM

So sorry to hear about everyones troubles :-( Nursing is still going really well here at almost 13 weeks. Supply is still rockin and any pain that arose during the first trimester has disappeared. My supply isn't what it used to be pre pregnancy, but things are still going really well. DS nurses I'd guess 10 times a day including down for nap and bedtime. Good luck to everyone!

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#99 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 AM

My ds will be 15mos and he just weaned, it wasn't working for us well anymore.  It was still very painful for me and he became disinterested and started biting me everytime and not wanting

to nurse but rather wanted to play and bite me. I stopped offering (b/c it hurt!) and he stopped asking, he doesn't seem to miss it and honestly neither do I.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#100 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 AM

I'm glad the two of you reached a good place. Almost 15m is great! 

My 14mo is still nursing but a lot of her daytime nursing are distracted and disinterested. I continue to work on night weaning - sometimes I'm too tired to do anything but nurse rather than settling her in other ways. I'm very happy with the progress we've made. Before bedtime last night I asked if she wanted to nurse and she signed "no nurse more" and went about playing. Naturally I thought my baby is a genius! I want to nurse as long as it's working well for both of us while at the same time cringing when she latches on three hundred times a session because my nipples feel like they've been rubbed raw with sandpaper. 

#101 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks :) The logest I nursed any of my children before this was 6mos so for me it was quite the accomplishment!   Yes I cringe right now remembering the pain of latching on!  It is probably good that I will have a short break before I have to start over lol

Quote:

I'm glad the two of you reached a good place. Almost 15m is great! 

My 14mo is still nursing but a lot of her daytime nursing are distracted and disinterested. I continue to work on night weaning - sometimes I'm too tired to do anything but nurse rather than settling her in other ways. I'm very happy with the progress we've made. Before bedtime last night I asked if she wanted to nurse and she signed "no nurse more" and went about playing. Naturally I thought my baby is a genius! I want to nurse as long as it's working well for both of us while at the same time cringing when she latches on three hundred times a session because my nipples feel like they've been rubbed raw with sandpaper. 

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#102 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Well, today is DS's 3rd birthday, and we've very nearly weaned!  I'm happy about nursing him this long, and happy about being done.  He does ask every couple days to "try ni-nis" but is content with just a few seconds of sucking.  Mostly I think he's just making sure I'll say yes.  It hurts bunches though, and he knows that, so he's ok with just a taste.  So relieved to have a few months break between years of nursing! :)

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#103 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Hi, well I am not nursing this preg but I did nurse my first son while preg with my second. 

My advice would be to night ween asap. This can be done in a gentile manner. With both my boys (well into their second year) I told them that the milk needs to sleep at night and when the sun comes up we can nurse. This was a suprisingly effective method and other then a little complaint the first couple of nights, it worked smoothly.

Even if you continue to tandem nurse your children you are going to need to reduce the nursing of the two older children when the baby is born and I would suspect this would be better to do before the birth of the baby as delaying could create anamosity twords the new little one.

My take away message after seven years of nursing continuously is that when you are feeling the urge to ween or feeling any anymosity twords nursing it is the time to think about transitioning your little ones. I alwayse thought that my boys would self ween, but this realy didn't happen. Sometimes you need to look out for your own health and the health of the baby first. You have done a great job nursing this long and maybe you need to give yourself permission to ween.

Best of luck!

#104 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Sadly, I think my milk is all but gone.  My DS may get a little in the a.m. but, I don't think he gets much.  Is this pretty much normal for being 12 weeks in?  He's 16 months and I'm sad in a way, because he still likes nursing, but he does it a lot less (I've been not offering not refusing). We still cosleep, but he largely sleeps through the night now.  And even if he does wake up, he nurses for a while but then asks for "wawa" so I know he's not getting a lot.

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#105 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Nursing Finnian is going well. We are nursing once a day, down for nap. I have lost my milk, but since I have always had to use a nursing supplementor he has not noticed. I will now work on weaning off the supplementor before the baby comes. Most of mine have nursed until 4 or more, but Eiley weaned at 15 months. Finnian is not big into nursing either so I am not sure how it will go. Honestly, I am not too committed to tandem nursing as I once was. BTDT many times and don't mind too much if he does wean. I am not going to put as much effort into it all as I have previously.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#106 of 107 Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Hi mama's! We are still doing pretty good. Ds is mostly nursing at night and first thing in the am. I have a bit of pain upon latching but, he says I still have milk. I'm 13 weeks ...one day at a a time =).

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#107 of 107 Old 12-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Hi all!  I'm finally joining in.  I've been careful where I've posted because not all of our family even know I'm pregnant yet and many, many of our friends still don't know.  But it is driving me batty to only lurk and most of those people don't even know about mothering let alone know my screen name, lol!  My son will be 3 in another couple of weeks and he is still nursing.  He had a cold last week and was too congested to latch and didn't nurse for 4 days.  I was worried there wouldn't be milk when he decided to nurse again but it turned out fine.  His nursing frequency varies from day to day.  It sure hurts when he latches on but after a minute it doesn't hurt.  He says there is still milk and he says it still tastes good.  I wonder how long the milk will last.  Thankfully a normal night for us includes nursing to sleep and then a long session in the early morning, but there are still many nights when he'll nurse a few times over night as well.  We all sleep together so it doesn't mess up my sleep too much, but sometimes that jolt of pain wakes me up too much to easily fall back to sleep.  It is definitely an interesting adventure.  smile.gif

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page