Nursing Mamas?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else still nursing?

I nursed dd1 (3.5) through my pregnancy with dd2 (2) and they are both still nursing more than I would honestly like. They are both very attached to their milk and still nurse a few times each at night. I had hoped my oldest would have weaned on her own by now.

I had an OB tell me to stop nursing immediately or I would harm the baby when I was 8 weeks with dd2. I can't believe what a jerk he was! I never stopped and she is very healthy 2 year old.

I am a little concerned however, about the stress that nursing two while making a baby will have on me. Both emotionally and physically. I know that eventually it will be difficult to roll over 2-6 times a night and nurse. Right?? And I was ready for the nursing to taper down 6 months ago. I have two friends IRL who tandem nursed through pregnancy, but I don't think I'm up for it.

Anyway, what are your plans?

Hope you don't mind all of the questions!

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 PM
bax

I nursed DD1 through pregnancy w/ DD2, then tandemed for almost a year. Not up for it this time. I'm still nursing DD2, but plan to continue weaning gradually over the next couple months (by about her 2nd Bday). I was finding myself getting irritated (and NOT getting enough sleep) already, and the pregnancy has only confirmed that it's time.

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 PM

Wow. Nursing two through pregnancy sounds tough. I am still nursing my first born (she's almost 20 months).

Until very recently, we were nursing all night long. A few nights ago my husband got up to check on her through the night when she fussed (she starts the night in her own bed), and she happily flopped over and went to sleep without protest each time. The next night, I said, "Let's do that again." My hubby just looked at me, like I can't get up every half hour again! And the next night, she didn't wake up until morning! We snuggled in bed in the morning and nursed and nursed. How nice! I am going to need my beauty sleep during pregnancy!

I am hoping to get nursing down to twice a day, AM and PM, but right now we are at 3 or 4 times a day. It is her comfort and a nice snack when life is too busy to eat. She's going through a huge appitite spurt recently (prior to night weaning), and I love how she's just gobbling up everything I give her. So much nicer than her picking at one or two bites then running off to play.

Anyway, I think it would be great if she self-weaned when I start developing colostrum or something, but we'll see.

I AM surprised that this nursing doesn't cause any contractions. I thought it would feel like PP nursing and have those huge agonizing cramps or SOMETHING. But I don't even feel a twinge. So I feel fine about continuing. I am getting hungrier though. That's a LOT of extra calories. Too bad I can't just eat a candy bar and call it good. I've got to get lots of GOOD calories.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM

I'm not in the same boat at all (my DS is 3 and I nursed him up until 22 months or so when he self-weaned by sleeping through the night). But it sounds like a lot to expect of yourself and your body to nurse two while growing one, and especially because it doesn't sound like something that you really want to do at this point anyhow.

Good luck finding an appropriate and gentle way to wean one or both if that's what you decide to do.

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 PM

My plan is to keep nursing as long as my son wants to, but it's really painful right now. We may have to start limiting nursing sessions a bit. It must be really tricky with two nursers.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM

I'm nursing my 11mo daughter and am feeling pretty lousy at the thought of losing my supply My 1st daughter weaned at about 2.5 during my 1st trimester with her little sis and I guess, more than anything, I'm having a hard time at not being able to give my 11mo at least two years of mama milk. Maybe I'm just being sensitive I've never had babies spaced less than two years like I will this summer and it's all an adjustment.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD's 2.5. I don't want to wean her, but I don't particularly want to tandem either. I'm sort of hoping my supply drops in six months and she'll wean herself - not a likely situation for several reasons, though.

Right now we're cutting back on night-nursing - she actually increased her night feeds since I got pregnant, and I'm really sleepy at the moment. We had several nights of screaming and two good(ish) nights, so I'm hoping she's becoming reconciled. I don't mind her nursing to sleep and in the morning, but every hour on the hour?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM

DD is 15 months and still nurses a lot. I'm not closed to the idea of tandem nursing, but I'm not going to be upset if she decides to wean herself during my pregnancy either (don't really see this happening, but you never know). She starts out the night in her own room and has been sleeping longer and longer, and therefore nursing less during the night. I'm hoping this continues and she is mostly night weaned at least by the time baby comes. I don't think I'd mind nursing two during the day, but at night might be a little rough

Wife of a wonderful husband and love.gif mommy to Alice 6/09 and Jude 6/11. belly.gifExpecting a new someone 9/19/13!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM

I agree with most of the pp. I think nursing your dc as long as you have is absolutely wonderful and COMMENDABLE!!! At the same time, I would hate to see you overstress yourself emotionally and physically as you said. Not to mention the stress on you and your unborn baby nursing 2 children throughout the night.

If I were in your position, I would try to wean your 3.5 yo, at least for the nighttime feeds. You can approach it slowly, and you may be surprised...dd may show signs that she's indeed ready to move onto the next phase in her growth and developement ! Then you'll be getting more rest that you need in order to function better as well as better serve their needs throught the day.

This is my 1st experience bfing while pregnant, but I have no clue how its going to be as I have no symptoms to speak of. I can just imagine how challenging it may be, if only in respect to nursing at night since we cosleep. I definately think it will be worth it, though, especially since she's only a yr old! Best wishes to you, and just remember, in order to take care of your dc and your lil bean, you have to take care of yourself FIRST ! H&H 9 months

Jessica knit.gif and familybed2.gif mamma to dd 9/09, ds 10/07, ds 2/05, angel1.gif10/03, ds 3/03, dd 12/00, expecting #6  2ndtri.gif  in June 2011. Furrbabies: 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 5 guinnea pigs
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM

woops

Jessica knit.gif and familybed2.gif mamma to dd 9/09, ds 10/07, ds 2/05, angel1.gif10/03, ds 3/03, dd 12/00, expecting #6  2ndtri.gif  in June 2011. Furrbabies: 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 5 guinnea pigs
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 AM

I had thought I would continuing nursing my daughter through this pregnancy and then even (gulp) try to tandem when the baby comes (dd is only 15 months so she won't quite be two then).

But I just visited a girlfriend with a 15-month-old and a one-month-old and the toddler, who had gone down to nursing just once a day before the newborn came, is now nursing like 10 times a day! She nursed three times just in the two hours I was there. My friend seems zonked!

I guess what I mostly took from that experience (which I know may not be common) is that I'll need to be open to all the possibilities, and that may mean weaning my daughter earlier than I had planned, and before she self-weans. . .

In any event, she is now nursing about four times in a 24-hour period, about the same as she was before I got pregnant. I am experiencing a little light cramping and sore nipples, but still love the time with her.

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM

I am nursing my 14m/o, but honestly thinking of weaning. I have tandemed two or three since my fifth pregnancy.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 PM

I am currently nursing my 17 month old. I have weaned the oldest two during the pregnancy that followed their own gestation. I get really bad heebie-jeebies during pregnancy while nursing. This pregnancy was slightly earlier than planned so I hope to not see the heebie jeebies, as I want to make sure to nurse our third baby (the 17 mo) until 2 to 2.5. But if it's not to be it's not to be.

Nursing while pregnancy is great as is tandem nursing, but to oneluvmama-if it's not working for you, if you feel it's too much. Then I would say cut back on your oldest first with lots of redirection or limitation. Have your partner go to the oldest at night to comfort. During the day I would distract distract distract. And then see how you feel. If you are still overwhelmed I would do the same with your second child. Nursing is wonderful as long as it is mutually desired.

Good luck.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Actively weaning 22mo.dd.My first time actively weaning.I tandem nursed my 2nd and 3rd until 1/2 through my 4th's pregnancy.It is what it is.In some ways I'm sorry to wean her so early, but something's gotta give.

:::
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Wow! nursing 2..that makes me want to adjust my attitude for nursing my 28 month old. It is so painful - and while I love it and believe in self weaning (first self weaned at 20 months) - OUCH!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm nursing my 19.5-month-old. Really, really hoping and praying we can nurse through pregnancy!

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 10-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my son pretty much weaned in August, he's 4 years old. though every once in a while he will ask to nurse and it's more of a quick sip nurse then he's done lol. If he wants to nurse more i have no problem with him starting to nurse before the baby is born or after it's born. but for now i pretty much consider him weaned.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

I'm curious - have any of you noticed a difference in morning sickness while nursing through a pregnancy?

I realise it's early still for me (5w5d) but I've always had the most horrendous, incapacitating, all consuming morning sickness and so far I feel comparatively amazing. I did breastfeed during my previous pregnancy but my daughter was over two, only nursing 1 or 2 times a day and self weaned pretty early on. This time my baby is still a baby and nursing all the time.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
I'm curious - have any of you noticed a difference in morning sickness while nursing through a pregnancy?
Oh, that's interesting. I can't say that I had really bad morning sickness the first time around--I didn't, I just had lots of feeling very "off", queasy, and I had terrible heartburn through much of the pregnancy. But so far...I have my moments of feeling not-quite-great and queasy, but it seems much more minimal than the first time through.

I feel huge and bloated, but the lack of queasiness has been starting to worry me. In any case, it had never occurred to me that it could be related to breastfeeding...I wonder if other nursing mamas are having similar experiences.

-nk
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 AM

I've definitely read that for some women, nursing can help lessen or smooth out their experience of nausea!

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 AM

hey, i haven't joined this ddc yet but think i'll be due in june too. and am nursing my 20 mo old... was worried about nursing issues during pg but so far no effects. maybe a bit less milk produced because he asks for a bottle sometimes while nursing, drinks some milk and then goes back to nursing. ? we co-sleep too though i'm thinking of trying to have him spend part of the night in his own bed, to see how it goes. i loved reading everyone's responses, it makes me feel more normal. thanks to those who posted.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM

I too love reading everyone's responses. Interesting about breastfeeding possibly lessening morning sickness.

I still breastfeed dd (she'll be 3 at the end of Jan) quite often. I night weaned her about a month ago, which I am very grateful for. We still cosleep, and it was really not that big of a deal. She was old enough to understand when I explained that she doesn't really need milk at night anymore, and her body is waking up because it wants it and it's affecting our sleep. I told her that once her body realizes there's no more milk at night it will just go on sleeping. The first few nights were a bit tough, but it been great since. And sleeping through the night has been very nice :-)

It has become pretty uncomfortable to nurse her. I always thought tandem nursing would be nice, but she's old enough where I'd pretty much be pleased if she weans during the pregnancy. We'll see!

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM

hi! I'm just now joining this ddc got my pos monday and may have an early july babe but yes I'm still nursing my 3 y/o son quite a bit. I'm not very sore yet (no more than when I ovulate) . I will tandem if it all works out but I'm not putting too much pressure on myself. We shall see how it all goes! As for nursing two dc's WOW! I admire that! I think you will know what to do as time passes! I think the hardest thing for me right now is between getting up to pee and not being able to sleep through night nursing I'm pretty tired!

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm still nursing my 16mo old DD. She nurses a lot at night, and a few times during the day. I am thinking (dreaming ) about night weaning her, but I want to wait and see if I am one of those who loses the milk while pregnant, so I wouldn't go through the pain of weaning her just to lose my milk a few weeks later.

Anyone know what time frame is typical, if you are going to lose you milk, when does it happen? Right now we are still nursing as usual. No pain, no sore boobs, etc. I keep waiting for something to change.

At this point my plan is to do some gentle night weaning after the new year or slightly later, if I don't lose my milk.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Beauchamp, I believe it's typically after the 1st tri.

I'm planning on night weaning when my milk goes. In the meantime I want her to have every drop she can.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks! I agree about giving her every drop I can. I hope I am one of the lucky ones who keeps her milk. I mean, once the milk goes, you sort of have to night wean (or completely wean) by default, right?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM

Try to get ahold of Adventures in Tandem Nursing if you can, mama. Tons of questions are answered there. Also...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/

I figure once my milk goes and as my body grows and sleep becomes increasingly difficult I'll want some uninterrupted night hours. But, if I know anything, it's that life is magnificently unpredictable. I'm just taking it one step at a time.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm currently nursing my 17 month old DS and was completely surprised by this pregnancy. I plan on nursing through pregnancy, mostly because I wouldn't even know how to begin to have him stop! He's not even 18 months old and still nurses many times throughout the day/night. My first weaned at 2 years, while I was 8 weeks pregnant with his brother. I am feeling very conflicted about cheating my youngest out of his milk/such small spacing between the two. How can I have a baby in my belly, when I still have a baby at my breast!?

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Man, if nursing makes m/s easier, than I'd hate to feel what life would be like without nursing! It's interesting that the milk might diminish after the first trimester. We will have been nursing for nearly 22 months at that stage, and I really think I'd be okay with it, although whether SHE would is a different story.

I read a story about a recently weaned little boy who saw his newborn sister nursing and went ballistic with envy, insisting on nursing at the same time, every time, day and night. I think it might seem like a betrayal to her. However, she is understanding so much more every day and maybe by that time, snuggles, book reading, and games will be enough to fill in the gap nursing used to have for us.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 PM

I strongly second the book Adventures In Tandem Nursing.Super easy to read,simple and fun comics,fun for kids too-of all ages,well formatted to short, busy catch some info reading.It helps the soon to be tandem sibling to see pictures of siblings at the breasts!

:::

User Tag List