Food: What sounds good? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
Nothing greasy, even thinking about greasy food makes my tummy hurt.

I have been eating lots of fruit.
This is me exactly.

I'm all about the fruit!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#32 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 05:02 PM

I am keeping almonds and walnuts in my purse to snack on. I am not hungry, but the longer I go without eating the crankier I get and I feel better when I eat. lol

Guacamole... greens... apples... hot tea...

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#33 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelilah View Post
Is anyone else addicted to peanut butter right now? I normally never eat it, but this week I'm having it every day, often two or three times a day! I have PB & banana sandwiches, or apple slices spread with PB, or melty PB on toast, or even peanut butter sauce on stir-fried chicken. My friend says this is the time when the brain is forming so I need extra protein and lots of fat. I wonder if that's why.

Anyone else on a peanut butter bender? What else are you craving?
Me, LOL! I have had two PB&J's this week, something I rarely if ever eat. I am having a chicken peanut stir fry tonight.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#34 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM

I miss my mom's cooking. I'm caving the comfort food she makes. Endive, Belgian endive, red cabbage, scalloped potatoes. I can cook them myself but they are not quite like hers. it's too bad she's so far away as I know she would love to cook for me, she loves spoiling her kids.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#35 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Me, LOL! I have had two PB&J's this week, something I rarely if ever eat. I am having a chicken peanut stir fry tonight.
You should try groundnut stew. I love that stuff over rice when I'm pregnant.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#36 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwerydd View Post
You should try groundnut stew. I love that stuff over rice when I'm pregnant.

I have never heard of it. Do you have a recipe? I am loving carbs too, yum rice.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#37 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM

so far i have had a few cravings for stuff like pizza. actually the night before my positive test i dreamed about pizza and woke up needing pizza .
mostly though i am just trying to eat the healthiest food i possibly can which is what i try to do normally. lots of green smoothies and vegetable soup.going to make mushroom stew for dinner.

i have had some nausea but so far it is significantly milder than last time. i have been reading that exercise during pregnancy is really good for both the mother and baby and that it tends to make nausea and fatigue milder so maybe that is why i am having an easier time? i have been trying to exercise an hour or more a day some days i only manage 20 minutes though.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#38 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM

I've been craving brocoli and melted pepper jack cheese! Strange! But , I'm also feeling at times that nothing will taste good..

and eggs that are fully cooked...

but not chocolate which I usually love...

and I've been thirstier than normal and drinking lots of water... has anyone else felt really thirsty during pregnancy? I don't remember feeling this way for my first!

Mommy to one adorable little boy and expecting another little bundle of joy in June 2011
#39 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I have never heard of it. Do you have a recipe? I am loving carbs too, yum rice.
there are a number of different versions. It comes from Africa. Oone good recipe comes from Extending the Table. It has

1lb raw peanuts (ground) ( or 2 1/3 c. chunky peanut butter-omit salt in recipe if peanut butter contains salt)

Fry in 2T. Oil
3-4 onions chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 T. curry powder
1 clove garlic
1t. ginger root grated
add peanut powder or butter

cook 2-3 minutes. add slowly to form sauce
3c. water or milk
cook 15-20 minutes
add
1 t salt

serve over rice.

#40 of 58 Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha girl View Post

and I've been thirstier than normal and drinking lots of water... has anyone else felt really thirsty during pregnancy? I don't remember feeling this way for my first!

Me! I am thirsty ALL the time right now. That actually started before I knew I was pregnant.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#41 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I had Thai food tonight! Yum!

I remembered as soon as I sipped the spicy and tangy Tom Yung Koong soup that it was one of my favorites from LAST pregnancy as a perfect tummy soother! Mmm. Must be the lemongrass. The fresh spring rolls were delicious as well. Too bad I can't eat like that every night!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#42 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Every time I eat something, the thought of it later makes me sick! So I keep thinking I finally found the answer to my hunger/nausea problem and it never works.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I could drink a really great cup of coffee I would be really happy. I miss coffee! I never thought the day would come that the smell of beloved coffee would make me want to vomit!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#43 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymagnolia View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but if I could drink a really great cup of coffee I would be really happy. I miss coffee! I never thought the day would come that the smell of beloved coffee would make me want to vomit!
Amen! It doesn't make me sick, but I don't like it anymore. I LOVED my coffee. It was the best part of my morning. I miss it so much! Le sigh.

Oh well, now I have my herbal pregnancy tea in the mornings instead, and that's better for me anyway!
#44 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Anything fried ;-) Also kale.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#45 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 PM

I just went to the grocery store and wandered around a long time, getting WIC stuff and trying to see what might be good. When I came home, I really wanted a pickle (I bought 2 jars), but a warm pickle sounded so so gross. So, I had a Boca Chik patty and a big glass of V8. They totally hit the spot. I'm actually having more of the same right now, an hour later. I'm really happy that something actually healthy is tasting and sounding good. Ginger ale, saltines and pickles aren't really the best baby growing foods.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#46 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 AM

I've been feeling super miserable the last few days..really blue, exhausted, and the sickest I've felt this pregnancy or during my first. In any case, somehow I motivated to cook...and cook...and cook, this afternoon. I was so tired that at one point I was leaning into the top cabinet with my forehead while chopping veggies. But the cooking was distracting me from how lousy I was feeling, so I kept going. In any case, I managed to cook a yummy meal that is (so far) sitting well with me. *knocking on wood*

Dinner was white beans with chipotle, breadcrumbs & cilantro pesto (first time trying this recipe--yum!), baked buckwheat with tons of mushrooms (it was a little over the top mushroomy and the smell put me off a bit, but it was ok), and acorn squash with maple/butter/allspice/cherries/salt/pepper and a little splash of tequila (cooked off the booze, but kept some of the flavor).

The meal was none of the things I've been craving, but I haven't been eating much of what I've craving. I've been thinking a lot about hard-boiled eggs; beef & lamb, but I very rarely eat meat and don't cook it at home; nachos; ma po tofu; plain yogurt; homemade smoothies; anything that can be a carrier for a yummy, crunchy salt and lemon or lime (celery & cucumber, mostly); and peanut butter cookies.

Well. Time to pass out and sleep for the rest of the week.
#47 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

ummmm, I just ate a whole bowl of broccoli and cheese sauce for lunch....thinking about making some more.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#48 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

I am eating peanut stir fry, it has carrots, broccoli, chicken, and rice for a third day in a row.

#49 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM

i'm craving beef fajitas. I was watching a cooking show this afternoon and this was one of the recipes. It sounds so good, I think we will be having them for dinner tonight.

#50 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM

NOTHING SOUNDS GOOD! Period. Everything makes me feel like I'm going to puke so I'm not eating very much right now and forcing myself to get protein down. AHHHHH! I HATE ALL DAY SICKNESS!

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#51 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM

nausea is starting to get pretty bad for me as well

i got on the bike trainer earlier and rode for 30 minutes and strangely that did help some with nausea. last time the nausea lasted the entire pregnancy really really hope that will not be the case this time.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#52 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 AM

I am not having any nausea. I am REALLY craving meat. For a former veetarian, this is crazy! I want meat cooked in savoury sauces....for every meal !

Cristi mom to DDs ages 4, 7 & 10 + expecting a new little blessing June 2011
#53 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Funnily enough, after a horrible few days my nausea has taken a back seat. Admittedly it's taken a back seat to crippling fatigue, but I'd vastly rather be sleeping than retching, so I'm happy.

The food I crave seems to vary wildly. I'm trying to eat heaps of protein and as much saturated fat as my stomach will allow (not much, currently), but that doesn't necessarily mean I want those things. For a few days I really craved feta and ate my way through a whole block. Then I craved cottage cheese, but only for a few spoonfuls - then it started tasting really funny, and the rest of the packet is languishing in the fridge. I'm trying to eat eggs whenever I can, and they're OK, but I don't love them like usual. The thought of fish makes me feel faintly off, but oddly enough I can eat it without problems, as long as DH cooks it. (I can't go past the fish counter at the supermarket, though. Bleuugh.) So I'm trying to eat as much of that as I can, too - again, not very much, basically once or twice a week.

I'm still hankering after refined, greasy carbs, sadly. Pizza! Fish and chips! Shapes BBQ crackers, which are loaded with MSG and which I should really avoid like the plague, but my goodness, they are freaking delicious. I craved one of my childhood toasted egg sandwiches the other day - made in a toasted sandwich maker with cheap, gross white bread and cheap, gross margarine, and the yolk all runny inside, smothered in salt... Drat, now I want one. My mother craved toasted cheese sandwiches for her last two pregnancies: it must be genetic.

Oh, and I could use some pita crisps with pesto and hummus, if anyone's offering. That reminds me, I haven't made pita bread in forever. I might go start some now before my fatigue kicks back in and I end up zonked out on the bed for the rest of the day. Ahhh, pregnancy.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#54 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM

haha I made cheese/tomato sandwhiches in my ancient sandwich maker a few days ago.
I absolutely could not eat the coconut crusted tilapia filets I made last night even though my husband said they were really good.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#55 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Franks Red Hot on everything. I don't thing I could eat at all if I didn't cover everything in it! Hitting the Izzy fruit sodas too, they seem to calm things down a bit.

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#56 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Cheese and crackers today, yummy!

#57 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sparkling water and bananas (not usually both at the same time) are two terrific queasiness killers for me. My tummy is usually fine if I have something little on it. For some reason bananas have worked to put some weight on my tummy for both pregnancies. If I eat it right when I get up or just before going to bed, it can buy me time before I'm really miserable and can either A. go to sleep or B. get up and make something. When I learned that Bananas are full of vitamin B6, well, there you go!

I bought some peppermint drops to put in my purse. I hate popping sugar into my mouth (mostly for my teeth's sake), but it does tend to buy me some time while I'm waiting for an opportunity to eat.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#58 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Yes, sparking water is very helpful to me. I ran out yesterday and can feel the difference today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page