Vbac? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post

One option that would go along with your husbands position would be to answer with:

Them:   'Where are you having the baby?'

You:     'Out of my vagina.'yikes2.gif

And then promptly change the subject to the furthest topic from birth!

love this!

dabblersupreme,  i can't imagine how hard it is working in a hospital and planning a hbac. i get enough grief from family & friends i'm glad i don't have co-workers adding their two cents. i also agree with your answer to edd questions. i am telling people by july when i'm due mid june. ds was 2 weeks late and i stopped answering my phone.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#32 of 41 Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 AM

that is a hilarious response, but i'm not sure how people will take it. it will be a conversation stopper, for sure!

i am also due midjune and if it was even just a few days later i would be telling people july. i think july is too far gone for me, though - my midwife will be encouraging evening primrose oil and/or accupuncture to give labor a kickstart if i am too late, because of my history with ds (he was 9lb 12 oz at 10 days postdate. normally i pooh-pooh the notion that you cannot birth a large baby vaginally, but the poor positioning plus large size was definitely a factor).

i am definitely not offering up to people that i am planning an hbac, but if they ask i think i will be truthful and just tell people it's not up for discussion.

#33 of 41 Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM

dabblersupreme, I'm in the same boat as you as far as worrying about "well meaning concern" from people.  Isn't it crazy that we're actually worried about people judging our birth choices?  DH and I decided long before I got pregnant that we're not telling our families about our plan to deliver at a birth center.  My mom's already stated categorically that she thinks anything except a hospital birth is a terrible idea, and it would be "stupid to risk the baby like that".  Where do I go with that?  And as for acquaintances and coworkers... most of the people I know are hard-core mainstream and think that anything except a hospital birth with an epidural is crazy.  I don't want to spend my pregnancy having people tell me I'm crazy, and if it takes me not being completely honest to make that happen, I'm okay with it.

#34 of 41 Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM

so, the topic of our planned HBAC has come up here and there with people, and i am impressed that people have been mostly respectful (or at least quiet). i've had to deal with comments and opinions from people who should be dealing only in facts (like when i called my insurance company, who have an oh-so-convenient loophole to skirt the NY state mandate that a homebirth must be covered even if from an out of network provider).

but, i now have a weird thing hanging over my head. we went for our 20 week sonogram yesterday, and the technician consulted with the doctor, who came into the room and told us his concern. baby looks fine, but they think they see a window on my uterus. they explained it's possible this weak spot will rupture and cause problems during a vaginal delivery attempt. they scheduled another sono in 6 weeks to evaluate, because they did concede it could be gone by then or not an issue. i already called my midwife and she told me what i logically know - don't worry about it, we'll evaluate after the next sono. it could be fine. but part of me is scared and thinking doomsday. especially since i keep reading about how the body is built to do this naturally, and that's all i want to do. now i'm even more scared of naysayers around me if this is a potential risk. anyone else get the window-talk ever?

#35 of 41 Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Dabblerupreme, not sure on this as I've never researched it, but when I went for an ultrasound last week (21 weeks), I asked if she could tell me anything about my scar and she said "Oh, are you planning a VBAC?  It's far too early to tell."  Now, that said, ultrasound techs an docs  etc in this area apparently don't like doing any diagnosis on scar integrity.  I really have my reservations of any useful information on the scar being found via ultrasound.  I do hope things work out for you.

#36 of 41 Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM

I didn't see if anyone else mentioned this but I recommend checking out the book "The VBAC Companion." 

Best wishes!

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#37 of 41 Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononose View Post

Dabblerupreme, not sure on this as I've never researched it, but when I went for an ultrasound last week (21 weeks), I asked if she could tell me anything about my scar and she said "Oh, are you planning a VBAC?  It's far too early to tell."  Now, that said, ultrasound techs an docs  etc in this area apparently don't like doing any diagnosis on scar integrity.  I really have my reservations of any useful information on the scar being found via ultrasound.  I do hope things work out for you.

yeah, what's really weird is that we discussed the position of my placenta during the sono, and then i asked if they can see anything about the scar and the technician mentioned how difficult it is to tell anything from an ultrasound. but then he consulted the doc and the doc came in to express his concern. 

thanks. i have already done some reading and will talk to my midwife at our appt. next week, and of course wait until AT LEAST the next sono to have any sort of freakout. ick. i just am really unsettled by anything resembling the dark cloud.

#38 of 41 Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 AM

Everything I've heard has said it's nearly impossible to tell much about the integrity of your scar on a u/s...Check the ICAN boards, maybe.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#39 of 41 Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 AM

just wanted to update that the long 6-7 week wait (with torturous worries creeping in) finally passed, and all looked good in my follow-up ultrasound! this time the tech made sure i had a very full bladder for the sono, and she said the wall looked thick, no sign of thinness/weakness. yay! serendipitously enough, my mom *just* found out that i'm planning a homebirth, and i am much more ready to discuss the issue now that i don't have the black cloud hanging over my head. i feel like i can really think ahead and plan getting my homebirth supplies, get friends lined up to help with our toddler during the birth, etc.

#40 of 41 Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Great news!  Now you can put those worries to rest and spend your energy where it should be - on preparing for your VBAC!  At home.

#41 of 41 Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM

this will be my first HBAC. DS 1 was a C after too many hospital interventions. and was only allowed to push 15 minutes when diagnosed FTP. So we are going homebirth route this time. looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences :)

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page