Anyone else taking Progesterone supplements ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone else is taking Prometrium ?

I had it checked on 10/4 which was 4wks1day, it came back at 8. I found out from online that was very low. I had to argue with the dr to get him to give me a prescription, he said he didn't think it was needed and how it's more reliable to have the level tested at 6-7wks along.

He gave in and gave me the prescription of 100 MG of Progesterone 1 nightly vaginally and starting it tonight, and on monday i have to go have the level checked again.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#2 of 24 Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM

I am. My doctor started me on it at 8 DPO. When I got a + she had me get it checked again. My numbers were ok, but not great so she upped my prometrium and is having me come in twice a week for injections. I mc last month and did as well between my previous two births. I just have a problem sustaining pregnancy with out a supplement. I got my levels drawn again yesterday, but the office was closed today so I should hear something on Monday.
#3 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 AM

I am.

With my first miscarriage...my level was tested and it was a 5. Now...we will never know if my body knew something wasn't right and so my body didn't produce it...or if my body not producing progesterone caused the miscarriage. I'll never know...

The pregnancy after that..I didn't take progesterone and had a m/c at 5 weeks 4 days.

Then I decided I was going to take it while TTC...so I started progesterone at 4 dpo...and have been on it ever since. When we got my number tested...my progesterone was 36.5 or something like that. I'm 10 weeks now so just a few more weeks on it. I am glad I took it because I would have always wondered if it would have helped if I had another loss.

BTW..I'm on prometrium as well....200 mg once in the morning and once at night...so 400 daily.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#4 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

This is the first pregnancy i've had that i'm taking it.

I had my daugher in 2003

i then had two m/c's in 2005 one at 5wks confired by ER, the other was a missed m/c going by the ER u/s baby stopped growing at 8wks and wasn't found til 11wks when i started bleeding and i didn't fully m/c til what would had been 13wks gestation the testing that kaiser did on the everything came back normal.

My son was born in 2006

i've had a few early m/c's since his birth, none were ever far enough to confirm by a dr.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#5 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM

I am on it- I take 600 mg per day. I take one pill vaginally in the am and two pills vaginally in the pm....I most definitally miscarry if I am not on it or don't have enough in me. I will be taking this until I am about 13-14 weeks preggo.

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#6 of 24 Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 AM

At about 18 DPO my progesterone was 8.8 so my doctor put me on 200 mg of Prometrium at night. I kind of wish I was on more, but I'm thankful for what he put me on. I go in next Friday to hopefully see a heartbeat on ultrasound - I'll be 7 weeks.
#7 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 AM

I take 200mg morning and night. I think I have a luteal phase defect (because I started having spotting many days before my period and my luteal phase was only 9-11 days instead of the typical 12-14). I've been taking it from 3 dpo until I get a negative test (always definitive by 12 dpo for me) or continue with it once I get a positive. I had my levels tested at cd 21 once and they were 13, which from what I understand isn't horrible but isn't great. I also have a cousin that had 5 miscarriages until she started taking progesterone and went onto have 2 children. I'm not positive I need them, but after 3 losses I take them just in case.

1*2*3*4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11*12*13*14*15*16*17*18*19 *luxlove.gif*21*22*23*24*25*26*27*28*29*30*31*32*33*34*35*3 6*37*38*39*40
#8 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Can it make you start spotting ?

#9 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 PM

I don't think so, but anything is possible. It's whole job is to help strengthen the lining so it's not shed. I've used it off and on for several cycles and 4 pregnancies and I don't start bleeding/spotting until 1-2 days after I stop using it. I have heard that the difference between progesterone shots and suppositories is that shots are more potent and some women going through IVF do shots instead because they can sometimes have spotting with just the suppositories (but from what I understand they don't produce hardly any progesterone naturally because of the IVF procedure). I don't think it causes spotting, but if it doesn't help enough you could spot.

1*2*3*4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11*12*13*14*15*16*17*18*19 *luxlove.gif*21*22*23*24*25*26*27*28*29*30*31*32*33*34*35*3 6*37*38*39*40
#10 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Got my beta back from today it was 1385.0 and on 10/4 it was 133.9 now to wait to see how my progesterone level is after being on prometrium for 3 days now.

#11 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM

That is great! I got my beta back today too. Up to 1543 from 103 and my progesterone is 40.5 now up from 20. No more injections!!!
#12 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

slseiswirth~ That's great about your beta and progesterone #.

#13 of 24 Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

My level came back at 22.79 yesterday at 22dpo

#14 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am! This is a first for me. I discovered a missed m/c in March of 2009. I think I actually miscarried January 2009. After that I started charting and noticed that I would spot starting at 7dpo and continue until AF arrived usually at 12dpo. So I started working with a fertility practitioner. I've been taking compounded progesterone starting at 3dpo until 12dpo for a good part of this year. Now that I'm preggo I'm continuing my progesterone. I'm going to the dr.'s on Monday and will be switching to progesterone injections. Ewwww. I think I'll have to do those twice a week. Or more accurately DH is going to have to do it. There's no way I'll be able to inject myself. I just hope he doesn't enjoy it too much. I guess I'll have to try to be a nice wife...lol!

I did read somewhere that progesterone can cause spotting. Oh, here's some info I found:

"Progesterone suppositories supplement any progesterone in your body bringing levels back to normal. It normalizes the endometrium (lining of the womb) by causing shedding of the excess layers that are built up by unbalanced estrogen. This shedding appears as spotting or what is known as breakthrough bleeding which may resemble a light period. Many women experience this as a side-effect of progesterone suppositories.

There is no cause for alarm. The spotting usually subsides within 2-3 cycles."

That seems specific to suppositories though.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#15 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 AM

I had three miscarriages before my MW checked my progesterone levels and noticed it was low. So she prescribed me with suppositories (200mg) twice daily for the first trimester.

When I became pregnant with my Son (born in 2006) I started taking them as soon as I got a positive result. Success.

I asked my MW if I would always need progesterone supplements in order to maintain a pregnancy and she said not necessarily.

I have been TTC and took a HPT 14 DPO and received a positive result. Although I have not started taking progesterone yet I wonder if I should just to be safe.
#16 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 03:28 PM

im taking it. starting it after a bfp - there is a good bit of debate as to whether or not it does anything at that point. it's likely that the best use of progesterone is in the few days between o and implantation. once your hcg levels start rising, your corpus luteum should get the message and kick up production on its own fairly soon after. even if it doesnt, it's not for sure that the endometrium responds to extra progesterone, like from prometrium, after that point. that may be why your doc hesitated. you can google it for info on starting it after a positive test, there is a lot of info out there, and it's essentially inconclusive. from my point of view, i think taking prometrium is unlikely to cause a problem- there are hundreds of thousands of babies out there born to moms who have been on it, and there is no problem evident, so for me, it seems taking it might do some good and probably wont cause any harm, so it seems worth it to me.

im glad your numbers look so good, too. that's awesome.

just fyi for the other ladies here dealing with this- i tried unsuccessfully to get pg for 7 months on vag suppositories of prometrium for luteal phase defect. i switched to oral prometrium, stopped luteal phase spotting, and got pg that first cycle (also first soy cycle, so ?) in any case, when i got a bfp, my beta was 12 and p4 was 32, which was great. my doc switched me to vag prometrium again, because technically, oral is not approved in pregnancy, even though it is used that way all the time. a week later, my beta was only 14 and my p4 was 4. what does that mean? well, i dont really know. either it means my progesterone supplements had no effect on my serum progesterone and the level went up and then down based on the health of the baby, dropping because i was losing it, or, the vaginal suppositories did not work for me for whatever reason, only oral, so when i switched the level bottomed out. i think it could be either, or both even. but this time, i am staying on oral prometrium, just in case.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#17 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 PM

ah, and just one other kind of interesting thought re: how long to take it- they tend to keep us on it until 12 wks. interestingly, when i was pg with ds#3, my corpus luteum actually ruptured at 9w0d, so i had no more progesterone production -0- coming from me, only what the baby was managing from the placenta. i did not take prometrium at that point (only started it this year, never for my other kids.) ds was totally fine. that pregnancy had no problems.

#18 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM

The info in this thread is really useful--thanks, ladies! I am taking progesterone too-- 100 mg of Prometrium orally each evening. I noticed several months ago when I started charting to TTC that I had a short luteal phase, with spotting-- so I talked to a doctor and she prescribed me the Prometrium to take starting after O. This was the first cycle I took it, so it appears to have helped!

Weirdly, the nurses at the dr's office seem anti-Prometrium for reasons I don't understand (since it doesn't cause problems). The dr. had my day 21 levels tested before she first prescribed it, but the nurse who I talked to about the test said "your level was fine. It's 10. Most people would be jumping for joy over that." Well, no, not really. I mean, it's not a super low level, but considering my other symptoms it could well be indicating a level too low for me.The dr. prescribed the progesterone anyway. But then when I got pregnant and called the dr's office to see if I should stay on the Prometrium since I got a positive test, the nurse said something like "Well, just go off it, it won't really make a difference." Seriously?

So I have learned that I need to make sure the dr. is giving the orders. She put me on Prometrium and kept me on it even though the nurses for some reason think I should be off it.
#19 of 24 Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still bleeding, sometimes it's spotting, but usually it's enough blood that it looks like af would be starting then usually by the middle of the day it's brown blood. I also have had two days so far that i didn't bleed, this is very annoying.

I have my first prenatal on the 27th and plan on asking for the dr to check my progesterone again. Since the jerk dr said that they usually don't check it til 6-7wks range when it will give them a more reliable #. Thankfully i wont see him for my first appointment.

#20 of 24 Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM

I miscarried in Feb 2009 -- a "blighted ovum." My midwife suspected it might be due to a progesterone deficiency.

When I became pregnant again in May 2009, my midwife sent me for blood work the same day I received a positive pregnancy test and then again 48 hours later. In that time my progesterone dropped from 20 to 14. She put me on 200mg of prometrium until 8 weeks and a confirmed heart beat. At that time, she switched me to a compounded progesterone suppository. (50 mg in the am and again in the pm.) Unfortunately, this type is not covered by insurance. Boo. But it was worth it -- my pregnancy was beautiful and we have a healthy little boy who is now 9 months old.

This time around (pregnancy #3) I caught the pregnancy a little later. (Nursing has made things irregular.) When I did blood work, my progesterone was at 9. They put me on 300mg of prometrium and 48 hours later my progesterone was up in the normal range and we saw a heart beat on an ultrasound. Turns out, I was already 6 weeks along. Since then I have been on 100 mg of progesterone in suppository form and will continue with that until 12 weeks.

I am just so thankful to live in a time when the tests and progesterone supplements are available. It can be such an easy fix but without it I would probably never carry a baby to term.

Lots of good wishes to everyone!

loving mr bub, our baby boy bub (1/2010) and excitedly expecting (6/2011)!!
#21 of 24 Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM

mrsbub- i dont know if this makes you feel better or not, but it's unlikely the low progesterone you have had anything to do with the blighted ovuum. blighted ovuums are likely genetic issues. i mention it because even if you knew about your progesterone issue in time, there probably wasnt anything you could have done. the kind of m/cs that are caused by low progesterone are likely to be when you have a viable embryo, but you bleed anyway, and lose the baby due to essentially af coming when it shouldnt be because you are pregnant. usually we will spot below 10, although you can spot and still stay pg, and we typically get af below 5, although with my m/c 2 mths ago, my progesterone was below 4 for several days before bleeding started.

afm- good news- my p4 from friday was 37.8! yay!

#22 of 24 Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else ever taken progesterone injections? I saw my fertility nurse today and she switched me to the injections. I get them from a compound pharmacy. My DH had to learn how to give me the injection. I do 200mg twice a week. I hope that's enough. Is it somehow stronger with it being injected? My suppositories were 300mg and I took those every night! I didn't really think to ask about this because I didn't realize how much of a difference there was until I got home. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#23 of 24 Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM

the re's use it sometimes but i dont know much about it. i think it works well, but i have heard, hate to say this, that some ladies are allergic to it. so if you get a rash, it's from the oil they mix it in, and they can change that when they do the compounding next time. so just a heads up.

#24 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM

swimming-duck: I don't have personal experience with injections -- but my aunt had three miscarriages before they started supplementing her progesterone and then she had two healthy daughters.

I was just talking to her about it the other day and she said she went only once weekly for a shot that was the consistency of "peanut butter." Now, this was 20+ years ago, but the injections worked beautifully for her! I hope they will for you too!

Good luck!

kermab: Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure there will always be a twinge of sadness about any m/c, but I believe that things turn out the way they should. If pregnancy#1 had stuck, we wouldn't have our DS and I can't imagine life without him!

With my miscarriage, I didn't start spotting until almost 11 weeks, after my ultrasound showed an empty gestational sac. Likely weeks after the embryo had been reabsorbed. With both of my subsequent pregnancies, my progesterone looks normal at first, but then quickly plummets before the 6 week mark.

The general consensus (from my health care providers and in the research I have done since and given that both subsequent pregnancies have required progesterone) was that low progesterone/hormonal imbalance was likely what ended the pregnancy. As far as I can tell, genetic/chromosomal abnormalities are the most common reason for blighted ovums, but that hormones can also cause the same type of miscarriage.

Whatever the case, I'm glad my midwife suspected progesterone then, and I did not have to endure another loss.

loving mr bub, our baby boy bub (1/2010) and excitedly expecting (6/2011)!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page