Thinking names? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 188 Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been thinking of names since our son was born almost 3 years ago

We have a girl's first name decided, but not the middle name, and no idea on a boy's name. Our first two children have names beginning with C and our girl name (dh won't budge on it) also starts with C, so I am feeling limited to only C names now. I feel like it would be mean to have our first three kids names start with C and then if we only have one more they will be the only one left out. There aren't too many C boys names I like enough to name my own son.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#62 of 188 Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post
How is Carys pronounced. I see it a lot on Mothering. I think it is a beautiful "looking" name but I am unsure how to pronounce it (I am assuming Gaelic or Welsh)
It was our girl name last pregnancy Emphasis on the first syllable: CARE-iss

#63 of 188 Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Fertilemyrtle, i hear you on the israeli names! i am an israeli half-breed myself (my term for people of mixed cultures), and some great israeli names translate so poorly - Moran? Nimrod? Shai?

our son's name works in hebrew, but sounds way more religious than the very secular people we are. i'm not sure if what we come up with this go-round will even work in hebrew. it's a hard consideration. good luck!

#64 of 188 Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM

Names are hard!

For a girl, our name last pregnancy was Laine Sophia.  My mom's favourite aunt Sophie had just died, hence the Sophia.  But we had a boy.  smile.gif

Names on my short list now are:

Girl names:

Laine

Mara (My grandmother is Marilee)

I'm leaning towards a middle name of Heather, since my bff Heather died shortly after I found out I was pregnant.

Boys names:

Patrick

With middle name possibilities of James or Steven -- those were our dad's names. 

#65 of 188 Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 AM

Hubby and I have a hard time with names and we always wait to meet the baby first to make sure the name fits.

Our first DD was named after my grandmother and DH picked the middle name after her birth - Lyla Rose

Our second DD was supposed to be named Ruby, but DH's RUDE family made so much fun of that name that he didn't want to use it in the end. It's ok tho, because after her birth we decided that she looked so much like a little Irish angel that she had to be Erin. smile.gif Her middle name is Anise after DH's sister who passed away.

For this babe:

Girls:

Gwen, Ruby, Adrienne, and my fav Willlow

Boys:

James (too plain for me, but after DH's father), Liam, and my fav Willem.

Good luck with the names ladies! smile.gif

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#66 of 188 Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM

can somebody PLEASE consider using shalom as a boys name...because i LOVE IT!!! it doesn't work with our picked out name though greensad.gif and i know someone who has a little boy named shalom.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#67 of 188 Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluvmama View Post

Boys:

James (too plain for me, but after DH's father), Liam, and my fav Willem.

My Liam will be 7 next week!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#68 of 188 Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM

If it s a girl Isobella Rose

If it is a boy Kaleb, no middle name yet

For now we just call it "the bug" because it is our little June bug

#69 of 188 Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM

We technically have our names picked out, as I posted before, but I'm always on the lookout for something interesting as backup.

I discovered Quilliam, which is a gaelic version of william. DH likes it too :) What do you guys think?

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#70 of 188 Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

We've had names picked out for like a year now
Girl: Imogen Lehua Boy: Liam Malcolm

Hehe. I endorse this.

We're thinking Amelia Wren for a girl or Avery Wren for a boy.

#71 of 188 Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabblersupreme View Post

our son's name works in hebrew, but sounds way more religious than the very secular people we are. i'm not sure if what we come up with this go-round will even work in hebrew. it's a hard consideration. good luck!

This is funny to me - we are religious yet tend to give names that will cross over. Our first, Akiva, obviously is pretty overt. But our next two, Ben and Mia work both ways :)

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#72 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Have we not chatted about names for months? I must've missed it! So many of us have found out the sex of our little ones and I'm wondering if they're already named. What about the birth day surprises? I'm jealous of those with already named babies! 

If it were up to me this babe would have a name (rejected Arlo) instead of the ongoing talks about names. As far as I know his middle will be some variation of Luke after a my DPs good friend. We're liking Lucius at the moment. I wouldn't mind the middle being after one of our brothers - Wesley or a version of Jon. DP has recently suggested Mica (he's Michael) but I think it sounds girly and 4 of our 6 kids have names ending in that sound (Edan, NoAH, OliviA, Liam, MilA, VerA). I'm currently liking all O names - Otto, Oren, Otis and Odin but especially Odin. The O is special to me in a way because only he and Olivia will be June babies. 

Baby will have 2 surnames - 1st DPs which begins with V and has 4 letters, 1 syllable and then mine which is a 3 syllable Spanish A name that everyone mispronounces. I pretty well insist upon 4 letters and 2 syllables for the 1st name (Olivia isn't my child). My boys all have an A in the 3rd spot (it was an accident!) ANYHOW. I want my little boy to have a name, to turn it over in my head, to whisper it, to hear it from the noisy mouths of my other children. 

So, are you thinking names? Have you settled on one? I'm so excited that we're having babies in only a few months! biggrinbounce.gif

#73 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM

I'll play. My ultrasound is in two weeks so I'll know soon enough which list we are using!.

My husband is Italian and we have a robust family tree with awesome names to choose from which is fun. My daughter is named for a special aunt and my son is named after his dad but we use a nickname for him. I really like my kids names to "honor" someone special.

Girls:

Maryetta Angelene (called "Mae") (both of my grandmothers and dh grandmother)

Gloria (another special aunt)

Vivienne (I just like it!)

Boys:

Vincent/Vincenzo (DH likes the first - I like the second)

Angelo (DH grandmother)

I call the baby "Lovey" right now because I think it's just the cutest nickname ever so that might stick. You never know!

*S*
DD 8, DS 6, & New Little One - EDD 6/20/11
#74 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Oy, don't get me started on names!  DH has flat out rejected any name I've suggested.  It is a small miracle that our other 2 little ones are actually named!

I really want Jude Joseph for a boy - Jude for my grandfather.  DH refuses Joseph because it was the name of my long ago boyfriend who died of cancer at the age of 23.  He thinks it is inappropriate to name a baby after someone else that I had sex with.  Never mind that I was 16 years old (20 years ago!!) and that he has been dead for almost as long - he won't hear of it.  Honestly, it hurts my feelings but there is nothing I can really do about it.  DH isn't the type to budge on something like that.  This boy who died was very special to me and my friends for a whole host of reasons - teaching us about the fragility of health and life, appreciating the moments you have, etc... watching him die a slow, agonizing death literally changed me in ways that are so profound and deep and I wanted to honor his memory and all that his brief life brought to so many.  I became a nurse because going through that experience made me realize that knowledge is power and I wanted to always know everything I could about my health care and the care of my loved ones.  Anyways... it really doesn't matter.  Its not going to happen. Sigh...

We haven't discussed girl names yet, but I love the name Vivianne and I am absolutely sure he will hate it.  His great-grandmother was Lucille and I would love to have a little Lucy, too!  Jewish tradition leans toward naming the baby after someone who has died - never after someone who is still living - so we will go through family names again, I am sure.  Kaya was named after Bob Marley (yes, I consider him a loved one smile.gif) so we probably should go with an actual family member this time.

I am just not up for having the name discussion again.  I think we will probably wait until the last minute to figure it out!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#75 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM

I found out today that the bean is a boy bean, and not the girl that I was so sure of! So, my chosen name of Vivienne Michelle is off the table and I have to basically start from scratch to figure out a boy name. I can't really use a family name because they're all ones that I don't like. "J" names are out because my last name starts with a "J" and that's too repetitive. And our last name ends with "on" so anything that has that sound is too repeatey for me too. Which narrows the field considerably. My BFF suggested Tabor Fynn, which I like but I don't want anything that people here won't be able to easily pronounce. It seems like most Texans are very conservative in their names and I want something unique but not crazy.

Ugh. I hate this! I'm so frustrated with having to start this process all over again.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#76 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM

tracymom1, that is a beautiful reason to want that name.  could you not work on your DH? there's some time yet! or maybe you could use a variant? it's incredible how strong our associations to names are, whether good or bad.  i guess b/c of associations all the names i was sure of before getting pregnant were immediately vetoed by my SO! we did somehow come up with a grand total of 3 names we both love (2 for a boy and 1 for a girl; this little ducky will be a birthday surprise).  because we have only 3 names i'm afraid to jinx them (i.e. decide i don't love them anymore) by even typing them out!  is that overly superstitious?! eyesroll.gif

#77 of 188 Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM

We found out today that we're having a boy. I like Avery, Odin, Asher, Aidan, and Liam. Of those, DH likes Odin best, and I like Asher. Middle name will probably still be Wren.

#78 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 AM

It looks like our boy will be Liam!

We have also been considering Kai, but for whatever reason, Liam is the one that "stuck". I even caught my older son writing Liam on his chalkboard the other day along with his and his brothers name. So sweet! Even my two year old pulls out the newborn clothes and says "this for Liam"' so i guess Liam it is! Haha joy.gif

So my boys would be Alex, Finn, and Liam...i think it works. treehugger.gif

Still working on a middle name. My fave has been rejected by dh. Boo.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#79 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM

We haven't even come close to settling on a name.  For a boy some names we like are Javier, Oscar, Dominic, and Sebastian.  For a girl we like Eva and Anastacia.    

I'm open to suggestions...  we're looking for names with a Spanish feel/pronunciation.  

#80 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

I even caught my older son writing Liam on his chalkboard the other day along with his and his brothers name. So sweet! Even my two year old pulls out the newborn clothes and says "this for Liam"' so i guess Liam it is!

That is adorable! 

We don't know the sex but we have picked names for each: first name Quentin, middle name Liam and first name Amelia, middle name Josephine.  My DH is "Will IV", and since we're definitely not having a "Will V" we went with Quentin, which means 5th + Liam which is a variation of DH's first name.  Plus, if we were going to go with "V" DH had said he'd want to call our son Liam, so... there you go.  And Amy Jo just rocks.  orngbiggrin.gif

I feel a little nervous puttin' my names out there, but I figure I'm going to have to tell people sometime, right?  I can't go around calling my kids code names forever.  It'd be all kinds of confusing once they start school.

I love everyone's names!  How freaking awesome is Odin?  Mythological names really appeal to me, especially the strong deities.  For a while I was really set on Athena for a girl, but DH sneered and said "uuh... not really" so that was out.  Maybe I'll have an Athena someday... eyesroll.gif

#81 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post
How freaking awesome is Odin?  Mythological names really appeal to me, especially the strong deities.  

I've kind of wondered if Odin is a lot to live up to upsidedown.gif but I like it! 

I have a special place in my heart for the Liams because my 7yo is one love.gif

#82 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM

We are using Micah Salvatore for this child. Salvatore is my fathers name so we are using his name as the middle.

If we were having a girl it would be a toss up between Olivia or Chloe (middle name Marlaine for a combination of the grandmothers names)

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#83 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM

I have a friend with a little Odin who just turned 2. He's just the sweetest thing ever!

My son's middle name is Liam, so I've always been partial to that one. :)

I couldn't sleep last night until this little bub had at least a first name. One of those crazy pregnancy obsessions... While talking with a friend about names for over an hour I told her that she could name her daughter Samantha (we're due 2 weeks apart) and I'll name my son Samuel. As soon as I said it I knew that was his name.

So I have a little Samuel in there. Eventually I'll figure out what his middle name is.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#84 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I like so many names, but we are sticking with C names.  Not sure how I feel about that, it's a little cheesy but dh really wants to.  Sometimes it feels too limiting, but it is also a bit of a relief to have the field narrowed down.  Middle names for our first two were plant names, but I am more concerned about the meaning now and may do more of an attribute type name (Hope, for instance).  There are a few names I like that dh vetoed, and some that we like but are just too popular.  If I really loved a name I wouldn't care if it was popular, but I am not set on any one name this time around... I'm hoping I'll feel good about something by the end!

first names:

Girls:  Calysta (dh's fave), Cathryn, Clara, Charlotte, Carys

Boys: Cato, Clovis, Cedar, Cavan, Clive, Cedric, Cynric

Middle names will depend totally on firstnames, but here are some thoughts we've had:

Girls: Hope, Dawn, Bryony, Madrona, Fern, Faith

Boys: Arbutus, Sequoia

#85 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM

I am a big no idea on names. I have a list, but dh usually defers to me when the right name feels right for this baby. I had a name come to me a couple of weeks ago that feels like a girl name, but then on Sunday I felt baby might be a boy. So we shall see.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#86 of 188 Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

I've just started thinking about names since we found out we were having a girl. I've made a list and I keep going back & forth on which ones I like best. There's one name that didn't even make the list yesterday, now today it's my favourite! DH has been working late the last few nights, so I'm looking forward to hearing his input too.

Our naming options are fairly narrow seeing as DH & I come from very different cultures, and there aren't many names that work well in both. With DD1 we chose a more western name that we felt was a good compromise, but DH's side of the family still grumbled about it. I've accepted that whatever we choose, it's going to sound weird to one half of the family. As long as we can find something everyone can pronounce, we'll be happy. winky.gif

We don't do family names, though our DD's name is coincidentally similar to MIL's. We don't do middle names either - DH's choice, not mine.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#87 of 188 Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Ugh, I am also stuck.  It doesn't help that DH doesn't like ANYTHING i like.

His top choice was "Langley" since we found out we were expecting out last.  He said he had always planned to name a girl that if he ever had one.  However, when we found out it was a boy, we went with a male variant at my suggestion.  So, we have a 1 year old baby boy named "Langston".

Now that we are expecting rather unexpectedly again and its a girl, we can't agree on names.  He still wants Langley but I argue that it's too close to Langston.  I told him, if I am calling one of them from the bedroom, they could easily get confused, haha.  Also, I just never thought "Langley" rolled off of the tounge well.  He is willing to go with something else but he says he has to "Love" it!

My top choice was "Devynn" but he hates it.

His top is "Gabriella"  not bad, Its actually one of the names I love...on other people, haha.  Not sure if I'd name my own child that.  It's a tad too femamine for me (I had another daughter named "Korban" haha.

Here is the rest of our list:

Gabriella
Brandy
Jayci
Carson
London
lyndan
charlotte
joella
brooke
natalie
rayanne/rayanna
savannah
annalise
alayna

Several of these he already veto'ed but I am having on to them. I really like the gender neutral of masculine names for girls but some more girly ones are beautiful as well. 

I can't seem to find something that isnt "Trendy" but at the same time isn't so common and boring.  when I was growing up, I was in class with 5 Jessica's.  I would love it if my kid was the only one in her whole school let alone class.

I am talking to my grandmother tonight and going to ask all the girl names in the family from great great grandparent's etc.  Good ideas in there always.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#88 of 188 Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Sharita, if you like Devynn and he likes Langley, how about something that's sort of in the middle, like Delaney? It's not super popular as it was at 241 on the Social Security baby names list in 2009, 211 in 2008, and 203 in 2007. It's dropping in popularity which is usually a good sign that she wouldn't have 5 other kids in her class with the same name. Being a Jennifer, I can totally relate to having a really popular name growing up. That's why I try to stay away from anything in the top 100.

Jenni

#89 of 188 Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM

I've been name-obsessed this past week. A sample of my list so far:

Emiliana

Julieta

Leonora

Isadora

Annika

Lorelai

Stella

I'm a sucker for feminine, old-fashioned names. orngbiggrin.gif

DH has been working late all week so we haven't had a chance to talk names. I'm getting a little nervous about showing him my list. I have my heart set on Isadora. It took a little while to grow on me, but now I feel like it's the one. I'm going to be bummed if he vetoes it!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#90 of 188 Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

I've just started thinking about names since we found out we were having a girl. I've made a list and I keep going back & forth on which ones I like best. There's one name that didn't even make the list yesterday, now today it's my favourite! DH has been working late the last few nights, so I'm looking forward to hearing his input too.

Our naming options are fairly narrow seeing as DH & I come from very different cultures, and there aren't many names that work well in both. With DD1 we chose a more western name that we felt was a good compromise, but DH's side of the family still grumbled about it. I've accepted that whatever we choose, it's going to sound weird to one half of the family. As long as we can find something everyone can pronounce, we'll be happy. winky.gif

We don't do family names, though our DD's name is coincidentally similar to MIL's. We don't do middle names either - DH's choice, not mine.

This!!

Dh and I have been searching for boy names that work well in both languages, bleh. Most of the names we like are in his and my side would butcher them! upsidedown.gif I can just hear my grandma attempting to say our child's name and thinking "what the h-ll!!". 

For a girl we like Ida. For a boy: Sjur, Gaute, Brage (the e's are pronounced "eh"), Dh likes Amund but I'm not sure on that one. But like I say, my family calling our possible ds "Sure" or "Gouteh" or Braggeh makes me shutter... the only English names we can agree on are Henrik and Oliver. A lot of the English names that sound ok with our last name don't translate well. We have a tricky last name to work with. But there is hope, we have named two other kids :) :)

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page