Mothering Forum banner

Thinking names?

10K views 187 replies 71 participants last post by  tracymom1 
#1 ·
How many of you have been thinking of names for your growing little one? Does your family have any naming customs? Leftovers from previous children? Do you name after loved ones? What are your inspirations? Do you wait until after you meet the new baby to choose?

#2 ·
I haven't thought about names yet.

My daughter's name was the only name we could agree on before we even found out we were having a girl.

My son was the same thing, but actually his name was going to be used for m/c #2
it was the only name we could agree on but then after we lost that baby when we got pregnant again it will still the only name we could agree on. I kinda feel bad about using the name when we had picked it for the other baby.

#3 ·
We kind of are going in alphabetical order. Not knowing we were in the beginning. But we are VERY stuck on boy "E" names. We do not name our children with trendy or traditional names so this could be interesting. I should mention the girls names are either Echo Sage or Ember Moon.

#4 ·
We've been talking about it for awhile now! In my husband's family, they have two middle names, and I like that. I know that for a girl, I'd like the middle names Mae Carol, after my two grandmothers, but we haven't decided on a first name yet. For a boy, we have a first name (Keenan) but we haven't settled on the middle names. I'd like to use a name from my husband's family - Arthur, it's also one of my husband's middle names - but for the other I'd like to use my stepfather's name... if it wouldn't offend my dad, and I'm sure it would. Argh, dilemma.

We have a long list of first names for a girl and we'll probably pick one after she's born. I have a feeling that this one is a girl. My favorite name is Ivy but husband really hates it and has vetoed it. Right now Violet is at the top of the list but that may change.

#5 ·
It's a combination from previous names we've liked and now. We aren't finding out the gender this time so we want to have one picked out for a boy and one for a girl.

Boys:
Logan, Ethan, Zephren, Blake, Malikai

Girls:
Cailyn, Aliyah, Alaya

#7 ·
I havent talked to the Hubs about it yet, b/c he is still in the "ugh, your pregnant" stage for some weird reason (Yes we WERE trying too... hahaha)

...but I have a girls name picked out :p hehehe. I would be ok with using "leftovers" or just starting over with the name process. I guess it just depends on how quickly husband shoots down my girl name :p

Our other two boys have[at least] one part of their name after somebody.
We'll probably keep that up

#9 ·
I haven't talked to dh about it, but I've been thinking. So far the only ones that have stuck out for me are Eleanore, Madelyn, or Magen. Those are mostly leftovers from before. I'm pretty sure we're going to have another girl, too.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

My son was the same thing, but actually his name was going to be used for m/c #2
it was the only name we could agree on but then after we lost that baby when we got pregnant again it will still the only name we could agree on. I kinda feel bad about using the name when we had picked it for the other baby.

I think that's a very sweet thing to share with his lost sibling, an honour. I love shared, family names and it strikes me as a very neat bond between children

#13 ·
My Dh and I have been seriously thinking names since we were TTC. For a girl we like: Llewella, Lyric, or Bijou. Not sure how to pronouce Llewella, it would either be Lou-ella or Lou-wella...
For a boy we like: Quinton

My only naming rule is that it can't end in a ie or lee sound. Too many of them already in my family, we have: Katie, Kaylie (me), Amy, Kristi, Haley, Dagney, and Bonnie! Also, I would love it to have a meaning that's special to me. I always get a kick out of the rough translation of Llewella Saber = Flaming Sword! Llewella loosely means light and Saber means sword. hahaha

#14 ·
We definitely have out girl names picked out. If it's a boy, I promised my hubby that he could pick the name all by himself - (scary!)
Our daughter's name is Cricket and if this one is a girl (which I feel it is!!) she will be named Clover
I guess C is going to be our "theme" didn't think I'd ever be a theme kind of girl either.... Anyway if it's a boy I'm going to vote for either River or Lucky. Those are my favs. Cute names by the way everybody

#15 ·
I have been thinking about names for months before we even got pregnant this time. I am pretty set on my favourites, but I learned from last time that if I tell my husband too soon, then they will probably just get shot down.
I remember with our daughter being so shocked that she wouldn't be called the name I had for years dreamt of.....i guess it never occurred to me that my husband would have a say in the choice

Anyway, I will wait and see what names come up and then maybe propose my suggestion. We usually don't start seriously thinking about it until we know the baby's gender though. I guess only then does it feel 'real' to us.
So, my favourites at the moment,
Elias (boy) - named after my mother, Lisa.
Noa (girl)

#16 ·
well, boys names are super hard for us...so if I happen to be pregnant with our third boy we are in trouble!

we've always had the same girl's name in mind, even with both my other pregnancies, and that is Zoe...which we still love and will likely use. I love many girl names, though, so we'll see.

#17 ·
We had a boy and girl name picked last time: Gideon James or Lydia Grace

But we named our daughter Clara Joy. Soo . . . we still have those names, but they aren't carved in stone. No one IRL knows them, though, so SHHH!

#18 ·
Cricket & Clover? AWESOME!

I think our girl name is Luci, but I will wait until I meet her (if it's a her) to be sure. Boy names that have been floated around include Nico and Leo. I also like Eco (pronounced like Echo) and Eli, but my husband doesn't seem thrilled by either. I'm leaning toward Leo, personally...yeah. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Cricket & Clover? AWESOME!

I think our girl name is Luci, but I will wait until I meet her (if it's a her) to be sure. Boy names that have been floated around include Nico and Leo. I also like Eco (pronounced like Echo) and Eli, but my husband doesn't seem thrilled by either. I'm leaning toward Leo, personally...yeah. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
I love Luci!!!!!!! also I looooove Nico and Leo. I know a bunch of Eli's so that automatically ranks it on the bottom for me...but Echo is also a cute one!

#20 ·
I love Luci too! My husband's great grandmother died a few years back and her name was Lucille. We're thinking we might use that for the girls name, if it's a girl. Lucille Frances. But we'll probably end up calling her Lucy.

The boys name we're still working on -- I really love classic, old fashioned names. Henry, Edward, Elliot...

It was the same way when I was pregnant with DD. We figured out a girls name early on (Violet Olivia) but had a really hard time agreeing on a boys name.

#21 ·
I have been keeping a list of names I like for over a year, lol. Our only tradition thus far has been to give both of our son's a middle name of a family member. For my second son, his middle name is his Great-Grandfather's middle name who passed away a little bit before he was born.

Ds1 has my father's first name for his middle name.

Buddhamom, I absolutely LOVE the name Echo. Mind if I put it on my list?? LOL!

#22 ·
I would like to name a boy after my grandfather, he was James Patrick. I'm not sure if we would just use one of those names or what. I have no idea for a girl. My dd was not named until she was 2 days old and we knew we were having a girl. It was pretty much between Brianna and Alyiah but we couldn't decide. She ended up looking like a Brianna to me and a friend of mine has named her dd Alyiah since then so that's out now too. I have a hard time because I don't like to use the same name as other kids that I know so it rules out a lot of names I like.

#23 ·
We talked names last night, i had a list of 5 boy names and 4 girl names. He shot down all the boy names and we actually agreed on a girl name that he shocked me in saying he liked the sound of it

Now the long wait to find out the gender and hope it's a girl

#24 ·
Boy: Jackson Patrick....maybe Jackson David...or Jackson Daniel...not sure on a middle name

Girl: hubby and I like Braelynn (BRAY-lin)...I like the two middle name theme for my girls (Tristyn Jane Noelle for my 8mo)...I was thinking Braelynn Rose, but I'm not sure of a second middle name...

#26 ·
Yes, but Dh and I never tell family or friends our names, so I get to test them out here!!!
We have a single syllable, simple last name starting with H. And as you can see, we need serious help narrowing down our girl choices, and even more help adding to our boy list!

Girl:
Lola
Eden
Carys
Jocelyn
Ayla
Ingrid
Scarlett
India
Everly
Viola
Violet

Boy:
Ian
Julian (DH will veto this one for sure but I love it.)
Roman
Gordon (DH veto)
Curran (DH veto)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.