Do you work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a thread so we can get to know each other better.

I am a community support worker, I work with adults with developmental delays. My regular shifts are 7pm to 7am on weekend nights (I get to sleep at work) so I think I will be able to work right till the end.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#2 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Up unil last June I ran a in home daycare, this summer I cleaned cabins, waitressed, and run/clean our towns community center. Now I sub at the school a little, do the town communtiy center and waitress when someone needs me to fill in.
#3 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm a photographer, and I plan on working until I literally can't anymore.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#4 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM

i run a pre-school three days a week, which my daughter also goes to. I am hoping to continue working until the birth.....in many ways it is easier to be there then be at home with my daughter every day as she loves going and being with her friends.
I am hoping to find a way to return when the baby arrives, and to have him/her come along. Not sure how that will all pan out, but there is plenty of time to work it out.

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#5 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 08:40 PM

I stay at home, but watch a pair of brothers part time. Not sure what I will do after this bean. The mama I sit for is 16 weeks along. It might be too much stressful for DS to try to adjust to a new sibling with 2 friends and another baby. We'll see.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#6 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 PM

I teach third grade! With my last pregnancy, I would throw up in the middle of class! my students actually got used to it. Expecting that again, but praying for a miracle!!!

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!
#7 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borobaby View Post
With my last pregnancy, I would throw up in the middle of class! my students actually got used to it.
OMFG! That's awful! You poor thing!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#8 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Haha! I know, right!!! I love photography! I wanna get professional maternity pics this time!

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!
#9 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 PM

I do administrative work at a university -- and spend most of my time sitting. With DS I worked up until one week before my due date, but wasn't disappointed with the additional week off when he arrived a week late The earlier I leave the earlier I have to go back, so I like the idea of working pretty much as long as I can.

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#10 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 11:37 PM

I work full time, 9-5 M-F and I'm also in school full time, 5 days a week. I have class M-Th Night and Saturday morning. I've been getting in to work late though, around 10-10:30 because throwing up during transit is just not something I'm down with and it's like a 45 minute commute. I am really looking forward to this semester being over.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#11 of 48 Old 10-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a SAHM

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#12 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm a grad student. I only have one real class left and it's only once a week, so I am able to spend most of my time with my son. After I finish this term, I'll be working on a lot of my own research and I hope to be working on data collection, analysis and on writing my dissertation for the next 2 years. After that, I really hope to find a way to teach classes online and do as much of my work around naptimes and bedtimes and such as possible so I can stay at home.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#13 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I run a home daycare. It's busy busy around here. I'm actually supporting the family right now as my DH has gone back to school. I'm hoping to work right up until birthing time. After that I'm thinking I'll probably only be able to do a 6 week maternity leave. Then it'll be back to daycare. I never learned how to nurse DS in a wrap. This time around I'm going to have to figure this out as I'll be running after the daycare kiddos five days a week!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#14 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM

I work full time as a mental health case manager 9-5 M-F and will probably work until I can't. We will see

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#15 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM

I work full time as a nanny to 3 great kids. I haven't told them that I am pregnant yet but I think the little one can sense it. She 'allows' me more time to sit on the couch or lie down quickly when Im feeling nauseous. When I tell her my belly hurts, she asks me if I have to poop to feel better...so cute! I will go on disability for my maternity leave and use up a few weeks paid vacation and will then return to work with my baby. The parents and I have talked about this scenario since day 1 of my employment but I am still a bit nervous about how they will react to my news of being pregnant. I gave them a time frame and pretty much stuck to it to the day so I don't think they will be majorly surprised but who knows! Anyone else experience this?
#16 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

SWhite- Its a whole different ball of wax up here in Canada, we are entitled to a year of mat leave in which we qualify for pay from the govt, its around 60% of your pay. Your employer has to hold your job for you with all benifits and seniority.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#17 of 48 Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
SWhite- Its a whole different ball of wax up here in Canada, we are entitled to a year of mat leave in which we qualify for pay from the govt, its around 60% of your pay. Your employer has to hold your job for you with all benifits and seniority.
That does it. I'm moving.

I'm a SAHM to two, btw. ETA: I became a SAHM precisely because my workplace didn't offer such family-friendly benefits. I think it's safe to say that most places of employment in the U.S. don't.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#18 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 AM

I work three days a week doing data analysis for a company that does corporate retirement plan research and benchmarking. I'm also a full-time student in Economics and I actively volunteer for my local state representative working on campaigning and bill writing for consumer protection issues from financial institutions. I have a feeling this pregnancy (my first) will force me to slow down and re-prioritize some things. LOL

School ends about a month before my due date and I may be able to work from home for that month as well, if I'm lucky. I'm one of very few people in town who do what I do (as well and as cheaply as I do it), so they may not have a choice except to accommodate me, thank heavens.

After the baby comes, I hope to work from home part-time until I go back to school with no work in winter term of 2012. There's an amazing and much awarded co-op nursery on campus for the hour or so I'll be in classes each day. I got on the waiting list the day I found out I was pregnant.

~Raqui

Moo.

#19 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 AM

glad to see i'm not the only student. i used to be really uptight about getting A's, but since i got pregnant suddenly i'm not stressed about school at all! it's kind of liberating. the plan is to finish this term and the next one (which ends in the middle of may) full time, and then go part time for fall term. i just want to take enough classes so my student loan doesn't kick in. i also work part time from home as a bookkeeper, and i'm hoping to keep up with that straight through. we'll see!
#20 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorgirl View Post
glad to see i'm not the only student. i used to be really uptight about getting A's, but since i got pregnant suddenly i'm not stressed about school at all! it's kind of liberating. the plan is to finish this term and the next one (which ends in the middle of may) full time, and then go part time for fall term. i just want to take enough classes so my student loan doesn't kick in. i also work part time from home as a bookkeeper, and i'm hoping to keep up with that straight through. we'll see!
Yay! More students!! I definitely hear you on the no longer caring about straight As thing. I was the same way, but now it's "what's the minimum I can get away with and still get a B?". LOL

As for your student loans, most won't kick into repayment until you've been out of school for a full twelve months, so if you are finishing your spring semester, you can probably wait to go back until the next spring if you want to.

What are you studying?

~Raqui

Moo.

#21 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I became a SAHM precisely because my workplace didn't offer such family-friendly benefits. I think it's safe to say that most places of employment in the U.S. don't.
You can say that again...

~Raqui

Moo.

#22 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM

I'm an admin at a power plant. It's a GREAT company to work for and my job is fairly non-stress as far as admin work goes. I get 6 weeks paid maternity leave (comes out of my banked sick time); any time off other than that comes out of vacation but I've been here nearly 20 years and have a good bit of vacation coming to me. So, I may take some extra time off ... we'll see.

With both my previous pregnancies I said I'd work up until I went into labor. Yeah, that didn't happen. I worked until 39 weeks, and both were overdue (one by 4 days, the other by a full week!). I really, really want to do it this time, though. My last labor was really quick; it'd be funny to me to go into labor at work and freak everybody out.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#23 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM

I am a SAHM, who homeschools the oldest 7. My kids also have a baking business that I help them w/.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#24 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM

i'm job hunting right now (social worker) and finishing up a post-graduate internship. i hope to start a full-time position with CPS in the next few months. and definitely not qualifying for any maternity leave. DP will be a SAHP, at least....

raising my two sunshine children.

#25 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM

I'm a freelance graphic & web designer and I work from home. I'm planning to work as much as possible before and after...but we'll see what happens.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#26 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 PM

I'm planning to be a SAHM for at least the first couple years. The plan was for me to quit my job and go to school full time, instead I'm going to quit my job and be a mom full time

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#27 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM

I am a stay at home mom but I care for 2 other children during the week.... its been SOOO tough lately b/c of this "all day nausea/ morning sickness" thats just KILLING me! hahaha.

--Rache--
*LOVING my life as a mother and wife I am truly blessed*
#28 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post
i'm job hunting right now (social worker) and finishing up a post-graduate internship. i hope to start a full-time position with CPS in the next few months. and definitely not qualifying for any maternity leave. DP will be a SAHP, at least....
I am taking one class right now, I hope to start my social services worker cirt. in the fall of 2012. I live in a really small town so I can only do a diploma here, but I can complete my degree by distance. I totally don't want to work for CPS though, I think I would end up with a zillion kids if I did. My goal is to work for an agency called CLBC (Community Living British Columbia). They are the wing of the government who takes care of developmentally delayed adults.

#29 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM

re. just vanessa:

yeah, i did my MSW and was very focused on community practice and community organizing and international development. i didn't study much about child welfare except for a few classes on infant mental health which i loved. graduated, started my own NGO, realized that it was totally NOT compatible with having a family and quit, and i am now applying for CPS jobs. i'm doing a post-grad internship at a govt agency here in peru that provides services to survivors of domestic violence and children who have been abused. two years ago, i would never have imagined being here or being interested in this field, but i am. i like the fact that CPS jobs are challenging, involve a lot of variety, and that i will get to work with parents and kids at the same time. i think i am good at dealing with conflict and at remaining neutral. we'll see if i get hired!!!

good luck with the classes! how will you end up doing internships with a distance program? i definitely think working for the government is a good idea, benefits are usually quite good in comparison to the non-profit sector.

raising my two sunshine children.

#30 of 48 Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

At the moment I work for a non profit organization that contracts from the government to take care of adults with delays....I am a member of the government employee union and you are soooo right, the benifits are insanely fabulous. Full health and dental for the whole family plus I start at 5 weeks off a year paid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page