How many sonograms will you get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking at the paperwork and such from my OB, and they are only going to do 2 before full term! I want to see the baby more than that! The first U/S was at 6 wks (we thought it was 8, but we were off on our count). The second will be to determine the sex of the baby. Otherwise, they just use the dopplar.

Do some OB's do more? Should I find a different OB or just request more u/s? I found this one online, so I'm not that attached yet. I'm also trying to find out if anyone is from the North Fort Worth, TX area, and have someone good to recommend.

Thanks ladies!!

Married to DH (1/07) Failed IVF with ICSI (11/08) Weight Loss surgery (06/10) 1st BFP EVER!! (9/10) Due (6/11)
#2 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 PM

That sounds about right. One early ultrasound to date the pregnancy, if you don't know when you ovulated, and one around 20 weeks to check for any major abnormalities (heart defects, etc). Depending on the practice, some do a late ultrasound to figure out positioning, but a good midwife or OB should be able to feel and see what position the baby is in. I know some mamas reject all ultrasounds because they worry about overexposure or overstimulating the baby, plus many HB midwives don't require them.

raising my two sunshine children.

#3 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 PM

I think two U/S in pregnancy is prudent and quite responsible. There seems to be an overuse of U/S these days. Many/most OB's do many more. There really is little point IMO and IME. I had many, many U/S w/ my first pregnancy, twins, and it did nothing to improve their or my outcome, in fact they found "problems" or potential problems which never materialized into reality. I won't be having any myself this pregnancy and skipped them w/ most of my other pregnancies.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#4 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post
That sounds about right. One early ultrasound to date the pregnancy, if you don't know when you ovulated, and one around 20 weeks to check for any major abnormalities (heart defects, etc). Depending on the practice, some do a late ultrasound to figure out positioning, but a good midwife or OB should be able to feel and see what position the baby is in. I know some mamas reject all ultrasounds because they worry about overexposure or overstimulating the baby, plus many HB midwives don't require them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I think two U/S in pregnancy is prudent and quite responsible. There seems to be an overuse of U/S these days. Many/most OB's do many more. There really is little point IMO and IME. I had many, many U/S w/ my first pregnancy, twins, and it did nothing to improve their or my outcome, in fact they found "problems" or potential problems which never materialized into reality. I won't be having any myself this pregnancy and skipped them w/ most of my other pregnancies.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#5 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM

with my son i only had one but that was my choice. with this baby i will also have one it will probably be after 20 weeks. i am having a home birth though and i choose not to do a lot of routine testing done for hospital births.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#6 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 PM

I may get a NT scan as well as the 20w.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just the anatomy scan. I know about the study that says routine ultrasound doesn't improve outcomes, but it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I personally know of several people who picked up conditions on the 20 week scan, ignorance of which would have been disastrous - things like omphaloceles or heart defects that required immediate surgery after birth. So I'm thinking quite a lot of babies must be saved by that prenatal detection. So... if it doesn't improve outcomes overall, does that mean that the ultrasound itself is so harmful it kills as many babies as die of all those conditions? But nobody claims that. So - I don't get it. I realise false positives can happen, but I don't see how that would generally be harmful to the baby - unless of course the mother aborted, but would they include that in the study? I dunno. It just seems worthwhile to me. (And my sister had a heart defect, albeit a non-serious one, so I guess that sways me as well.)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM

2 is pretty standard- with my oldest I started with an OB (switched to a CNM later). One at the first visit, one at 20 weeks.

With my second and with this one, we're not doing any scans unless there's some indication that there's an issue we need to look at.
#9 of 65 Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Just the anatomy scan. I know about the study that says routine ultrasound doesn't improve outcomes, but it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I personally know of several people who picked up conditions on the 20 week scan, ignorance of which would have been disastrous - things like omphaloceles or heart defects that required immediate surgery after birth. So I'm thinking quite a lot of babies must be saved by that prenatal detection. So... if it doesn't improve outcomes overall, does that mean that the ultrasound itself is so harmful it kills as many babies as die of all those conditions? But nobody claims that. So - I don't get it. I realise false positives can happen, but I don't see how that would generally be harmful to the baby - unless of course the mother aborted, but would they include that in the study? I dunno. It just seems worthwhile to me. (And my sister had a heart defect, albeit a non-serious one, so I guess that sways me as well.)
I think some of the issue is that (assuming the mother was planning a hospital birth anyway) early detection changes the way the pregnancy is managed in way that ends up causing almost as many problems as it solves. I.e. docs may want to deliver earlier, and by c-section, both of which are associated with more complications. Throw in the false positive which still have the extra interventions, and you can see how things start to even out.

What I would find really interesting would be some studies attempting to look at which specific situations/risks/backgrounds *do* benefit from ultrasound scans. Because "well sometimes it helps, but it doesn't really help at a population level, so sometimes it must be harmful, but we don't know how to tell whether it will be helpful or harmful for you particularly" isn't exactly great information on which to base a decision
#10 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 AM

Zero, and I feel a million times more relaxed already than I did with my last pregnancy.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#11 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 AM

Most likely just the 20 week scan. I don't feel comfortable with any more than that. I will do an 8 week if I have bleeding or feel there is cause for it.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#12 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 AM

probably one. I had five with my dd because of PIH and Pre-e. They were hoping to detect IUGR if it occured. I had two with ds, one at 20 weeks and one at 34 weeks, although I belive that one was unnecessary, my back up OB wanted it. I want one to check on the position of the placenta. I'm a VBAC and I want to make sure that placenta accreta will not be an issue.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#13 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM

I am only having one and honestly didn't want to have any this time! We are working with a midwife and hopefully having our first homebirth! We are thrilled! I didn't think I was going to have to have an u/s.... but the midwife will probably recommend one at 22 wks a 2nd level u/s b/c I had one with each of my other children (which were fine) but we have spina bifida in the family on my hubby's side.

U/s is not without complications, even though it is a safer avenue, it can still lead to pre term birth is what my midwife told me among other things and she does not recommend one unless there is something she cannot find out any other way!

It is funny b/c with my first I had 4 u/s before 30 wks and Then starting having more b/c of preterm labor at 32 wks and had her at 33.5. My son I had 2 u/s full term baby at 37 wks. This one we will see.....

It is very exciting to see a baby on u/s I will not lie but after 2 births, I just want to take a different approach with this baby this time.

Jennifer Wife to my wonderful Husband, Jeremy, mama to my two amazing children DD B (04/14/2006), DS I (10/27/2007) and a precious little one due in June
#14 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post
Zero, and I feel a million times more relaxed already than I did with my last pregnancy.
This is exactly how I feel!! Hoping I can work it out to not have any this time too!!

Jennifer Wife to my wonderful Husband, Jeremy, mama to my two amazing children DD B (04/14/2006), DS I (10/27/2007) and a precious little one due in June
#15 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 AM

We'll likely have no ultrasound done, unless it is medically warrented.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#16 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewinna View Post

I'm right there, too. I had a few last time because my midwives thought I was pg with twins and wanted to check, and then when I was way overdue to check the health of the placenta (dd was born 17 days late). Hopefully this one will come a bit earlier and none will be necessary :-)

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
#17 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM

With last pregnancy I had only one. My first OB did not even offer early dating one and just did anatomy one at 25 wks.
This time around it will be the same.
I would not change otherwise good OBs only because they do just two scans, it is normal practice, more in this situation does not mean better. If you simply want to SEE your baby go to one of those places that are not affiliated with hospitals.
#18 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly, I cannot believe how many ultrasounds are being done these days. I have seen people with completely normal pregnancies having 3-4 or more ultrasounds, and I am like whaaaaaaaaaaaat!! When I had ds1, almost 7 years ago, my OB did 1 early one, and then the 20 week one.

With ds2, we had 1 around 10/11 weeks, because my midwife could not find the heartbeat with the doppler. Didn't have the 20 week scan with ds2 because everything was all good at the 10 week one. We had a homebirth with him.

this time, I am thinking probably one for us, barring any problems.

Don't be so hasty to want more ultrasounds. They are not really necessary (unless there is a problem) and some might say that they may even be dangerous. Do some homework on this one. Just enjoy your pregnancy, mama

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#19 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM

My OB's practice likes to do 3.

An early "dating" u/s which I got. I am glad because it made my due date 2 days later than the lmp or conception date and since my babies like to stay in there for a while I am going to use the latest possible due date.

A 20ish week diagnostic which I want.

A 38 week "weight", fluid, placenta check. If the placenta is high at 20 weeks and my fluid is ok I am not getting this one because we all know that late ultrasounds are far from accurate to check weight. Plus my biggest baby was 7 lbs 2 oz and my last two weren't even 7 lbs at 42 weeks so I can't see me growing a gigantor.

I didn't have any with the last baby and while I do not regret that choice at all I now feel more comfortable with the use of doppler and us technology during pregnancy.

I had 3 with my first. The early dating, a 20 week diagnostic and then an optional one a few weeks later that I had to pay for out of pocket because I wanted to know the sex of the baby and she wasn't in a great position during the 20 week. I also used the doppler every appt.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#20 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Yes if a wee one has a heart defect and it is picked up at the 20 week U/S, that could potentially save that baby's life. I am not speaking of one U/S to determine the general health of the baby, but many subsequent U/S. Sometimes b/c some "problem" is found and it turns not to exist. Or to determine weight of baby which can lead to a cascade of interventions that does effect the baby, inducement and being born before its time or a c/s birth which effects both mom and baby. I know of several instances though where a HB mama never had a scan, had a baby born w/ an issue and was able to easily acquire care for their baby after birth.

My personal story I had many U/S, after a routine U/S that unexpectedly found twins at 16 weeks. First they stated they may not have a separating membrane and be in the same sac, then later, after the twin ball started running and I decided against HB, their weights were too far off, then they were discordant b/c they were identical and there was too much of a weight difference, then they had TTT, then I was hospitalized, then more U/S, including BPP. Each time was a hunt to determine a potential problem or exclude another. Had I chose a HB midwife instead of more medicalized care the direction of my pregnancy would have been different and I would have had much more peace to grow my babies. We found out at 8 years they are in fact fraternal, so TTT was not a possibility.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#21 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM

I will be having a total of 3. 2 from the obgyn- 7wks3days and around 20wks.

I will be paying for a 3-d ultrasound also. I did it with both our other kids.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#22 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM

My doc will order 1 around 20 weeks. I am going to go to Vancouver and pay for a private one (3D) to determine sex. It is illegal for the hospital to tell you gender here and I really want to know. I guess a few years ago there were some cases in BC of people aborting babies due to gender. I don't need a dating one, since I know my dates.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#23 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Ideally, I would skip u/s altogether as I don't trust them.
BUT ds2 had a heart defect so I feel a responsibility to have at least one but will wait until the 3 trimester...as long as I can! lol

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#24 of 65 Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm not even meeting with my hb mw until 8 weeks. I'm not sure that I feel like I need one at 8 weeks. I would like one later, probably around 20 weeks, as DH and I would like to know gender. Also, I agree with pp that one is a good idea on the very off chance that there is something like a heart defect that would be important to know about. Other than that, I could only see getting a later one if we don't if our LO is too modest at the 20 week appt. We really want to know gender. We're happy either way. But if it's a boy we're set for clothing. If it's a girl we have nothing!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#25 of 65 Old 10-23-2010, 03:24 PM

With DS I had three ultrasounds total.

This time I don't really feel that I need any, but if I am offered a 20 week anatomy scan I will probably get that one.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#26 of 65 Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm expecting to have only one around 20ish weeks to make sure everything looks ok and that there isn't anything we need to know about before birth. My in-laws are so persistent about knowing the sex (they want a boy), that we might wait until birth to find that out!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#27 of 65 Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM

with ds i had 20 wk & almost 42 wk u/s.
hopefully with this one we can get away with just the 20 wk.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#28 of 65 Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM

the standard of care is 1, and ACOG recommends it at 16-20 wks. some docs do one at 7 wks for dates/viability, and if you go post-dates, they may do another maybe 1 per week for a fluid check and biophysical profile, because as the placenta gets old, sometimes babies can get a little stressed or have cord compression from low amniotic fluid. just keep in mind, i know it's awesome to see the baby, and it's easy to forget this is a medical procedure, and while it is really thought to be safe, it's only been in use for 40 years, and only common use for less than 20, so the effects of repeated exposure might not be fully understood, too. there are lots of times when risk is justified, but it has become entertainment with these free standing pay for u/s places. personally, im just not sure that's the wisest thing. i know that's a buzz kill. it's your choice, just make sure it's an informed one.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#29 of 65 Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewinna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post
I feel the same way as both of you! None for me. Already shocked the doctor by refusing a dating scan. ("Is it medically necessary?" "Um, no actually!" "Then no thanks!").

#30 of 65 Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM

I am planning on two - the 12 wk NT scan, and then the standard 20wk scan. I had planned on two with DS, ended up w/ 4 - I had appendicitis at 18wks, so they did an u/s to 'diagnose' that (since they couldn't do a cat scan) I ended up w/ an MRI since the u/s wasn't conclusive enough (turned out, it was on the verge of bursting! which would have been an awful thing - there's a 20% fetal loss rate)

I also went late, so they did an u/s at 41wks to make sure amniotic fluid was okay, etc.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page