Is anybody else vegan? Or veg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first vegan pregnancy. I was lacto ovo for 11 years including my pregnancy with DS. I quit dairy after DS was born when he showed a sensitivity to it. I felt so good that I never went back to it, even though he can have it now. I've actually totally quit eggs only recently. I've never been a fan of eating them and I've long baked vegan, but I just started watching for them on the ingredients panel.

DS is veg, but DH eats meat. I just don't cook it for him.

Anybody else?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#2 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 AM

Vegan here, this is my second vegan pregnancy actually!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 AM

I do eat meat, but only about once or twice a week. I was a strict vegetarian (not vegan) for 12 years and I loves me some veggie foods! I no longer do unfermented soy though.
#4 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Vegetarian here! for about 14 years, for me. I was vegan for some years until moving to Germany last year and making some compromises on eggs and milk, especially out or at other peoples' houses. My husband will eat some meat out, but we have always had a no-meat home.

hi!

#5 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is my 3rd veg pregnancy - have been vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for 13 years. Actually, my 2 sons and dh are all veggie, too

I have really been digging on making smoothies lately - does anyone use any greens powder here? I want to get some to beef up our fruit smoothies. I live in the sub-tropics, so it is still HOT here and smoothies are tasting really good right now, lol

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#6 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM

I am vegetarian too (lacto-ovo - although only very limited dairy as milk and cheese upset my tummy!). This is my second vegetarian pregnancy. The first was fine, except I got pretty severely anaemic. Floradix did the trick though. I was worried I would crave meat or fish, but actually the opposite happened - I hated the thought of it even more!
This time around I have been wanting fish which is really tough. It is not going to happen though - I have been vegetarian for over 20 years!
DH and DD are also vegetarian so there is a lot of support.
Here's to a happy nine months to you all

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#7 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM

This will be my second vegetarian pregnancy.
I've been lacto-ovo for 15 years and flirt with the vegan diet from time to time.

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#8 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I did the Brewer diet last time and felt great! Their vegan plan seems too, I don't know, too something. This time, I'm keeping a food log and just trying to balance green veggies, orange veggies, protein. Well, I was before I started feeling so nauseous. Now, I'm just trying to find the elusive "what sounds good".

I take Deva Vegan Prenatals and veggie DHA as well as acidophilus. What do you guys take for supplements?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#9 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm taking the Trader Joe's once-daily Prenatal (my mother-in-law sent me enough for the whole pregnancy! ). It is vegan ... and huge. But it is getting easier to take the thing, and I'm happy to be avoiding the gelatin.

I haven't really looked very much into the various diets this time. Nausea and vomiting are kicking my butt, which has inspired me to start a food journal, too.

hi!

#10 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

i was vegan for 8 years then in my last pregnancy i gave in to cravings and ate meat. now i take a fish oil supplement (and vegan algae oil). so not vegan but close to vegan. not sure if i will give in to cravings this time or not in general i eat way healthier now than i used to so maybe will have fewer cravings. i definitely do not and will not eat dairy if i do give in and eat meat it will probably be oysters i can get ones with no heavy metals that at least live lives as free as they would if they where wild so less guilt about it.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#11 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

We are like 98% there. No dairy and no meat other than free caught fish from whole foods once in a blue moon (every 3 months or so I'd guess).

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#12 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 PM

This is my second vegetarian pregnancy. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but a little. I'm craving meat big time, though. This is the very first time I have since I turned vegetarian 5 years ago.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#13 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

We are a vegan family here. We are for ethical reasons and better health is just an added benefit

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#14 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM

I am taking trader joes prenatal vitamins (took them last time too) but on our first trip to the midwife yesterday she gave me a long list of other things to take instead once I told her about being vegetarian;
DHA
Vitamin B complex
Probiotics
Iron supplements
Not sure how I feel about dropping the prenatals, or about taking so many other things. It looks really $$$, plus I would prefer to adjust my diet if necessary to try and get everything I need that way.
I woudl also liove to know what other vitamins you vege/vegan moms are taking?

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#15 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Wow, Buddhamom, we really have a lot in common!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#16 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by english-mummy View Post
I am taking trader joes prenatal vitamins (took them last time too) but on our first trip to the midwife yesterday she gave me a long list of other things to take instead once I told her about being vegetarian;
DHA
Vitamin B complex
Probiotics
Iron supplements
Not sure how I feel about dropping the prenatals, or about taking so many other things. It looks really $$$, plus I would prefer to adjust my diet if necessary to try and get everything I need that way.
I woudl also liove to know what other vitamins you vege/vegan moms are taking?
Hmmm, I wonder why she would want you to stop taking the prenatal? Did you ask? I mean, you still want folic acid and all that, right? Do you have low iron? My prenatal has iron in it, but I don't take stand alone iron. It can be constipating. I just had my iron levels and DS's tested at WIC and they wer both great. I'm a big fan of the leafy green vegetable, though. Or I was before constant nausea.

I think it's so weird when I hear about people getting cravings for meat. Just reading about it, in the food thread, was making me feel ill. I can't imagine a circumstance where it would sound good.

#17 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM

according to this we should not be taking folic acid

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives...olic-acid.html

i need to get some prenatals i do take a daily multi vitamin and calcium magnesium and vitamin d

#18 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm vegetarian, too...very low dairy, but i live in cheeseland, so it's really difficult to avoid it entirely.

I also eat a lot of raw/living foods and have been into that for years. I ate high raw through my last pregnancy and that baby has been totally drawn to eating that way! So interesting...he craves all the same foods i ate while pregnant with him.

I'm not supplementing at the moment, i might take a prenatal once the nausea wears off. We don't have good ones here, though...no whole food based supplements.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#19 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I would also love to know what other vitamins you vege/vegan moms are taking?
Hey mama, at the moment, I am taking a rainbow light women's multi (I bought a huge bottle about a month before I got pg, so I am going to use those up before switching to a prenatal).

I also take a probiotic and Calcium/Magnesium at night. Helps to sleep I do not eat a ton of dairy, so I think the calcium is pretty beneficial.

I had lower iron counts for my last pg, but never supplemented for it, just tried to boost my high-iron foods. I am thinking about adding in some Floradix to my diet though at some point........

hth!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#20 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post
I think it's so weird when I hear about people getting cravings for meat. Just reading about it, in the food thread, was making me feel ill. I can't imagine a circumstance where it would sound good.

Well, considering I wasn't vegetarian for the first 28 years of my life, it was 'normal' back then. It makes me ill to think about *actually* eating it now, but I think a lot of it is that I'm hungry for something very filling. Trust me, I'm now a strict vegetarian, but having a craving doesn't make me a bad person as you imply.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#21 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM

I don't think she was implying you were bad. I was actually thinking the same things she was. In fact I can't even walk past the meat section at a store without gagging and that was even BEFORE I was preg. But you have to remember some do it for their own personal ethical reasons and some for health. So for me, without trying to offend anyone, it disgusts me to even think about it where as someone who does it for health may just casually say it isn't a part of their lifestyle. Just my 2 cents

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#22 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM

I sort of wondered if I'd get a craving for meat in my first pregnancy--the first few weeks I had a mad hankering for coconut shrimp for some reason, but then when I couldn't find any and ordered regular shrimp instead, I was completely grossed out. The only meat I ever think back fondly on is Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches, but I think it's because of the steamy bun and barbeque sauce, and memories of that being the only time my family ever went "out" to eat (on 5 for $5 coupon days!). I kept almost hoping I'd get some craving I had to give in to, but I only ever picked up some curly fries and a shake...

Fries and shakes were my first trimester all-day-sickness go to! My nausea is JUST starting today, so I'm very curious what it's going to be like this time now that we live in Brooklyn and I have to walk everywhere (instead of enjoying the convenience of the drive thru or just pulling up quickly to a grocery store).

Anyone have any favorite veggie comfort foods for these nauseous feeling times?

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#23 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

there have been times in my life where being near meat made me gag. or dead animals. or dairy products. for me it is related to my childhood and ptsd. i think there are different reasons for different people to crave meat or not crave meat. i craved it in my last pregnancy. i worry now a lot about fatty acids and the brain i have read not all people can make the right stuff from the vegan fatty acids. so i consider fish oil and ponder it and wonder if my brain is ok without it.

for me the reason i went vegan was because i was having flashbacks every time i was near meat i had to quit my job in a cafe. i did a lot of emotional work and meat doesn't trigger me in such a sever way anymore and my last pregnancy my midwife who was not a good midwife for me it was not a good experience. she really pushed me to eat meat and dairy and i think it didn't do me any good. i worry a lot about this pregnancy and what will happen and i don't know i am hormonal and emotional this morning so i will stop.

#24 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post
Trust me, I'm now a strict vegetarian, but having a craving doesn't make me a bad person as you imply.
Hmmm, I didn't mean to imply that you were a bad person. Eat meat. Don't eat meat. All fine with me. My husband eats meat. It's his decision. I was/am attaching no value judgement to it. I was saying that it's weird for me to imagine as I am so so so grossed out by it. It's weird for me that some people used to be veg and aren't anymore. I think it's fine. I just could not at all imagine eating meat of any sort. I look back fondly on none of it, especially not with pg nausea.

Calynde, that's weird. I mentioned it before, but my DS had sensitivities to all of the foods I maxed while pregnant with him -- dairy, peanuts, citrus.

Moonfroggy, I'm taking DHA from algae. My last OB pointed out that algae is how the DHA gets into a fish's body. So, I'm just skipping the middle man. :P

#25 of 27 Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM

i take algae dha as well i am into the nutritional advice of dr furhman and he says some people cant make certain stuff from the dha and need fish oil from what i have read only way to know is to be deficient and get tested for deficiency. i think i am good at finding stuff to worry about.

#26 of 27 Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 AM

I sold supplements in various health food stores while going to college, and so many nutritional fads come and go it's unbelievable. I personally am very very skeptical about just how necessary fish oil and dha supplements are. It's like one fad fizzles out and the supplement industry searches for the next big thing. I could be wrong, though. I'm just not into it.

It's fascinating, 15 years ago, at my california university, if a professor polled any given class about it, over half would claim to be vegetarian. Soy was considered true health food. Now, soy is poison apparently and the tide has turned to grass fed meat and grains/carbs are bad, etc. Vegetarians are ruining their health, blah blah. I wonder how long that whole thing will last?

Ok, major tangent there. Lol

I've been making several recipes from my vegetarian mother's cookbook, especially coconut millet pudding...can't get enough of that stuff!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#27 of 27 Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
It's fascinating, 15 years ago, at my california university, if a professor polled any given class about it, over half would claim to be vegetarian. Soy was considered true health food. Now, soy is poison apparently and the tide has turned to grass fed meat and grains/carbs are bad, etc. Vegetarians are ruining their health, blah blah. I wonder how long that whole thing will last?
Americans, as a people, have no concept of moderation. Either something is GOOD and you should have tons and tons of it all the time, or it's BAD and you should never have it at all. I don't believe in high-fructose corn syrup or other processed non-food ingredients, but I believe that any natural food is good *in moderation.* We're not meant to eat meat every single day, or soy either. We shouldn't eat grains exclusively and we shouldn't eat proteins exclusively. IMO, a varied diet is a healthy diet.

I am in no way saying that a healthy diet must include meat, for the record. I was a perfectly healthy vegetarian for 12 years and I still enjoy vegetarian food most of the time. I'm just lamenting the flighty American tendency to an ever-shifting, black-and-white dietary policy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page