Hypno Birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm loving my HypnoBabies CDs. Loving them! I've been practicing the relaxations in bed at night and it really helps me get back to sleep, something I've been struggling with. Before I started, I reread through my Bradley workbook and the binder from Baby Body Birth that a friend took.

Another friend has borrowed my CDs and is due in a couple of weeks. She's having a homebirth and I'll be keeping an eye on her kids during, so I'm excited to see the HypnoBabies in action!

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
 I'm afraid to start too far in advance, since you're supposed to do it about an hour a day (if I'm understanding correctly).  I'm week 23 now, so Not much time to go.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

It's not a solid hour a day. The scripts are about 30-40 minutes, and after the first few weeks you have to practice getting into hypnosis five times a day, for 1-2 minutes at a time. There's also the Pregnancy Affirmations CD, which I think is about 40 minutes as well, but you can listen to that one while doing other stuff - cleaning or exercising or whatever - since it's not actual hypnosis. (Plus, you're supposed to listen to them every day, but I think most people cheat on that. :p I certainly do; they drive me nuts).

So yeah, it is a time commitment, but you can do some of it in little chunks, you know? I think I started at about 23-24 weeks, and I will have a LOT of maintenance-program time (I'm on Week 5 now, at 28 weeks). I think I'll need it, though. I have a lot of issues. :p I certainly don't feel ready to give birth yet, even though I've technically nearly finished the course... but other people might be more open to hypnotic suggestions than me, and/or get really bored with doing the program for an extra few weeks. So it's hard to know the perfect time to start!

That reminds me, I should go do a few hypnosis practices now. I'm really bad at knowing when the time is up - you're supposed to tell yourself "I am now entering a state of deep hypnosis for 1 minute" (or two minutes, or thirty seconds... you're meant to change it up), and then not worry about counting the seconds, on the grounds that your subconscious will tell you when it's time to wake up. Yeah... doesn't work for me. My subconscious is clearly a ditz. I can "automatically" wake up early in the morning on days when I have to, but it doesn't seem to work over short-term periods.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#33 of 43 Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
fjc

Anyone else fall asleep everytime you listen to the hypnosis CD?  I guess I'm just getting into a deep hypnosis as I wake up at the end of the 30mins but I have no idea what I've been 'hypnotized' with! lol!  I'm assuming its working :)

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#34 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM

is there anyone else trying this, with a toddler already running around, and struggling to find the time?  I feel like there is so little time each day to work on my "must do before the baby is born" (one nap time each day as I am shattered and ready to go to bed in the evening when she is !!!) that I really can't find the motivation to sit and listen to the CD every day.  I know i need to prioritise, but would it really not work if I only listened a few times a week?

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#35 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM

I have almost always seemingly fallen asleep. It's still worked beautifully.

This will be my 3rd Hypnobabies birth so I've also always had a toddler around. I've practiced after bedtime, sometimes back-to-back sessions, during the deep night times that I wake up and at nap time. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#36 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM

I have a 3 year old. I do my script after he goes to bed. I sometimes listen to the joyful affirmations while we're hanging out quietly. The first "class" I took 2 weeks to do as I missed a few days. The program said it was fine to take 2 weeks per class if you start before 26 weeks, which I did, barely. Even when I miss the CD for that day, I still try to do relaxation/visualization while I'm going to sleep or back to sleep.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#37 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Yes, I tend to fall asleep... often the only time I can do my CD without feeling guilty is when DD and I go down for our afternoon nap, so I'm not at my sparkliest. :p I did the Fear Clearing session for the first time yesterday... it comes with all these warnings about stopping if you have a negative reaction to it, etc, so I thought it would be all dramatic and penetrating and angsty. But I fell asleep again. lol.gif I think I've listened to each CD at least once or twice on a conscious level, though; and with 10ish weeks of maintenance to go, I'm not really worried about it.

I need to step up practicing my eyes-open hypnosis. I practice the finger-drop one regularly - maybe not quite five times a day, but at least 2-3 times a day - but I keep forgetting to go to centre switch and open my eyes. When I do, it's really hard to keep them open - I'm relaxed, and the obvious thing to do when one is relaxed is to shut one's eyes, right? So it's a real effort to keep them open. I should work at it, though - I don't want to totally lose focus every time DH or my MW says something to me during labour.

DH said yesterday "If you fall asleep during labour, I'll have to wake you up", and I was all "Don't you DARE!". I guess it's time he read the Birth Partner Guide...

#38 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
fjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by english-mummy View Post

is there anyone else trying this, with a toddler already running around, and struggling to find the time?  I feel like there is so little time each day to work on my "must do before the baby is born" (one nap time each day as I am shattered and ready to go to bed in the evening when she is !!!) that I really can't find the motivation to sit and listen to the CD every day.  I know i need to prioritise, but would it really not work if I only listened a few times a week?

I have a 5 yr old and 2.5 yr old so totally relate to finding it hard to find the time.  I don't even bother trying to do it during the day - the one time I did when DH had the kids for a bit, I fell asleep on the couch :) I put the CDs on my iPod and have separate playlists for each week.  When I've put the kiddos to bed (DD, 5, prefers to sleep in our bed), I just roll over, pop on my headphones and do a track of the hypnosis.  I find it soooooo relaxing to end my day like this.  I'm thinking about finding a hypnosis program for postpartum life with 3 kids that says 'i will not go crazy tomorrow.  I will take deep breathes before yelling.' lol!! 

#39 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
fjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

DH said yesterday "If you fall asleep during labour, I'll have to wake you up", and I was all "Don't you DARE!". I guess it's time he read the Birth Partner Guide...

I was joking with my midwife that I'll pop on my birthing CD, fall asleep, and then she'll just wake me up when the baby's born and nursing.  I fell asleep during contractions without hypnosis so who knows what'll happen this time! :)

p.s. I love your signature, Smokering!

#40 of 43 Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM

I admit, I have been slacking on my scripts that last week or 2. My enthusiasm is revived, now, though and I'm ready to start hitting these harder than ever. I just got some new tracks, Visualize your birth and the Birth Partner's one. Also, last night, attended a friend's home hypno birth. She had borrowed my CDs, but not really the book. I know she didn't even listen to all of the scripts. Still, it was AMAZING. She was so calm, so focused. The midwife and doula had a hard time telling when she was having a pressure wave. It was clear to me how much of a difference it made. This makes me so so so excited for my birth. It makes me renew my committment to doing scripts. If she got that much out of it, how awesome can birth be for me if I really do my "homework"? So, I thought I'd share this with any fellow Hypno Slackers, to maybe revive your excitement as well!

#41 of 43 Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM

How cool! I've never seen a birth that wasn't mine. I'm jealous! 

I'm so bored of Hypnobabies! This is Hypnobabies birth #3 for me so I feel like I've heard these scripts about a thousand times each orngtongue.gif I still do it, but I'm not excited. 

Do any of you recall seeing a video of a Hypnobabies mama hugging her LO during a contraction? Is that completely vague or what? It was beautiful, calm and at some point posted by one of the mama groups on FB. I'd like to find it again but don't know how.   

#42 of 43 Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Wow, three Hypnobirths? Yeah, you must be sick of that background music! (Can I ask how the births went?)

I'm not deliberately slacking off - well, except for the Pregnancy Affirmations, which I haven't done for weeks and weeks - they were driving me mad - but I do have days here and there where I forget to listen to my CDs. And I still haven't managed to stay awake throughout the Hypnotic Childbirth 2 session! I keep hearing "new" things... recently I heard the bit about pushing the baby out, and was like "Hang on, I haven't heard that before!". It's just hard to make time for practicing when I'm not sleepy...

Also, DH still hasn't done any of the Birth Partner stuff. I need to nag him some more - we NEED to practice the "relax" scripts and so on.

#43 of 43 Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Wow, three Hypnobirths? Yeah, you must be sick of that background music! (Can I ask how the births went?)

Well, two and one to come. They were gorgeous, empowering births though I made noises and felt um, a lot of intensity.   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page