Hypno Birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
fjc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever used hypnosis for their birth? I'm thinking about learning more about this birthing technique for this 3rd babe.

DS was born at home and it was, of course, lovely! Everything went fantastic. The only hiccup was that during transitional labour, I would fall asleep (briefly!) during contractions. Luckily, DH was holding me on the birthing ball so no calamity ensued. At one point, my midwife was in a different room and hubby went to make an impt phone call. I was soooo happy to be by myself because then I could lay down and try to have a nap without being asked to 'keep active'! lol! I actually started pushing with the intent that I could nap as soon as babe was out (in reality, I'm not a napper normally and after the birth, I couldn't sleep for a couple days due to excitement hormones!)

Talking to a meditative guide, she suggested that what was happening was not me falling asleep but instead that I have the ability to enter a deep meditative during focused events such as labour.

I am intrigued to learn more about being in an hypnotic state to assist with labour pains. It's definitely not a common birth choice so that's why I'm keen to hear about other mamas experiences.

Anyone else have this same experience while birthing? Previous experience in hypno-birthing?

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#2 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 AM

This will be my third birth using Hypnobabies. I'll happily answer whatever questions you have about my experiences but right now I'm super exhausted and can't think what to share.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM

I am intersted in this as well. I had a 42 hour labor last time. My homebirth transferred to the hospital, and I was given pitocin and asked for an epidural (because I was afraid of the pitocin and totally exhausted). My midwife thinks the epidural was what helped take me from a 5 to a 10 in less than an hour because it totally relaxed me and I was not tensing through the pain anymore. I really feel that I need better coping techniques for my next labor and have been considering Hypnobabies.

I asked my midwife at my 6 week check up, and she said she didn't like it when hypnosis makes the mother check out and not respond to the people around her as needed. However, she did agree that something to help me dialate past 5 centimeters (which will be my largest mental hurdle, probably, (since I was there for more than 12 hours last time) would be very beneficial. Can you respond to my midwife's concern?

Also, I saw that Hypnobabies is 20% off this week (through Nov. 4). Should I go ahead and get the kit or do they have special sales and deals often?

Thanks, fjc, for starting this thread! I hope I'm not hijacking too much!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#4 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 AM

i have been pondering the hypno babies homestudy course.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'll be giving it a go. SIL's giving birth a few months before me so we went halves on the course.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've also considered this. This will be my first home birth. I have a huge tendency to tense up during pain. I'm very nervous that I'm not going to be able to succeed at this and will end up having to transfer to the hospital. I'd love to hear more details about people's experiences with it.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#7 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
fjc

Where have you all been looking at purchasing hypnobirthing stuff?

Last night, after posting this question, I spent some time watching hypno births on youtube Looks amazing!

#8 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjc View Post
Last night, after posting this question, I spent some time watching hypno births on youtube Looks amazing!
Ooh. I should check those out. I've watched water births and those look pretty freaking awesome. I'll have to check out the hypno birth stuff to see what I think.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#9 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 05:06 PM

Someone was just talking to me about HypnoBabies. She said if she were going to invest in one "big thing" for birth, this would be it. She used it with her daughter and said it got her through the "first 2 days of labor"! She ended up with a C-section, but still found it really useful. I'm going to see if I can borrow or even rent it from someone I already know. I'd like to save my money for a doula.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#10 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Here's my experience: It didn't work! And yet, I would STILL highly recommend the program! I know that sounds weird, but the CD's and the information were so incredinly helpful all during pregnancy. When I was a week late and everyone around me was fretting...I was cool as a cucumber and I wasn't praying for the pregnancy to just end like many 41 weekers. The CD's kept me feeling so confident and peaceful about whatever was going to happen. And they helped me to sleep.

It sounds like your first labor indicates that you'd be a great candidate for the program and could likely make it work. Personally, I had something going on where there never was a single break in my contractions for hours on end (still trying to figure out what happened) and I never could get a single moment to even try to get myself back into the zone. But, I think that was an unlikely occurrence and that mostly, women could really, really benefit from this during labor. I still made it through drug-free and I don't think I would have if I hadn't had so many phrases (mantras) to repeat that I'd gleaned from the Hypnobabies books.

I don't know about mom's being "checked out" during labor, but the program states all throughout that you are fully aware of what's going on around you. You can either turn your "light switch" off and be deeply in hypnosis, or you can have the switch in middle position where you are in hypnosis but still able to walk and talk. Otherwise, no Hypnobabies moms would be able to labor in positions like on a birthing stool or on a ball because they'd be too checked out. I would have given anything to have been able to check out for at least a few of those transition hours!

Anyway, it was worth it!
#11 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh and I, too, just pored over hypnosis births on youtube. There's one in particular that has the song Lullaby by the Dixie Chicks. I challenge anyone to watch that and not cry. It is so incredibly beautiful. That song always brings tears to my eyes.

Ahh, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnifyd0rlI0
#12 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know when you're supposed to start practicing the Hypnobabies techniques? I'm only 8 weeks, but I have a feeling it might take me longer than normal to "buy" the affirmations and techniques and things. I'm mentally kind of screwed up. Is there any problem with starting it really early, like in the first trimester? It wouldn't make you "stale" or something? I figure more practice is better than less, but... anyone know?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#13 of 43 Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM

I am not 100% sure, but I think they suggest starting at 28 weeks. However, they do have some pregnancy helps, so you can try the hypnosis with nausea and such earlier if that would be helpful.

Here's their blog and the sale and coupon codes. http://hypnobabies.wordpress.com/ I've seen some bargains on eBay as well from people who got the books and such but didn't write in them.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#14 of 43 Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 PM

What's the difference between HypnoBabies and HypnoBirth besides $60? Anyone know?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#15 of 43 Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post
What's the difference between HypnoBabies and HypnoBirth besides $60? Anyone know?
I believe there's a discussion in the main pregnancy forum right now in which is a link comparing the (incomparable) methods. Take a look!

#16 of 43 Old 11-02-2010, 12:19 PM

http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm

I got that link from a different forum that I participate in. The woman has a clear preference, but she's used both hypnobirthing and hypnobabies and been a certified instructor for both. I think she does a great job of discussing the differences and why she feels one is superior to the other.

#17 of 43 Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

I just ordered the Hypnobabies home study course. I'm so excited!

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
#18 of 43 Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
fjc

My hpnobabies course came in the mail today!! Was feeling eager when I ordered it and now am glad I ordered it 'early' (I'm 18w3d) 'cause it's a huge course!  Can't wait to get started on it....and to discuss with everyone here who's also interested in it and taking it (has taken it).

#19 of 43 Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Last night I opened the Hypnobabies course that I bought when pregnant with my 1st daughter ('06) and the CD's aren't inside! Why didn't I put them back in the box? Where are they??? I know they'll turn up but I'm afraid i'll be a billion weeks pregnant by then help.gif

#20 of 43 Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM

I've thought about doing this as well, but I already have a tendency to go deep inside myself and block stuff out when I need to. It's a skill that I've perfected to the point where I can be reading something and not hear one of my kids standing next to me asking a question! lol

I think with anything, the more practice the better. I've had a few friends do the HypnoBabies course and they all loved it.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#21 of 43 Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM

I am really interested in this as well.  I took Bradley Classes with my first pregnancy and really loved them.  I definitely learned a lot from them.  I was able to have a natural birth with my son.  I like the aspect of the hypnobirthing/hypnobabies because it focuses more on the relaxation techniques, etc as opposed to the technical stuff of Bradley.  Also, I've been feeling really laid back right now about my approach to this baby's birth.  I think doing something like this would get me more actively involved in preparing for this birth.

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#22 of 43 Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM

I really wish this was within our budget or that I knew someone I could borrow it from. Does anyone know of any lower cost relaxation/visualization CDs? It does't necessarily have to be Hypno anything. We took Bradley with DS as well and I really enjoyed the time at the end of the class where the instructor read the relaxing visualization stuff.

#23 of 43 Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM

I have a pregnancy meditations CD that I got for probably $10 or $20. I'll see if I can find it and I can tell you the name of it since I have no clue where it came from or what the actual cost was. I'd also check on Amazon to see what they have available. I can usually find a really good deal on there for whatever it is that I'm looking for.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#24 of 43 Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM

It didn't work for me with my first (although I did have a really short, albeit painful, labor), but I recommend the course to anyone anyway because it helped me pre-labor and just in life in general getting to know my fears and getting my husband and I talking about things that we probably wouldn't have.  I read Birthing from Within this time around and feel it'll work better for me because it's a lot of the techniques I fell back on when I discovered I was not going to be able to get into the relaxed state I wanted to.  If you fell asleep during transition before, it may be perfect for you!  Good luck!

#25 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Squeeee! I AM going to get Hypno Babies! I've been wanting it, but, even used, it is out of our budget. I couldn't find anyone local to borrow one from. Then, someone offered me a trade! Yay! I mega love trades! So, I'll be doing some custom dyeing/knitting for this. Yippee! Mamas that have this, how do you like it so far? When do you listen to it? Like, do you set aside a relaxing time to do it? Or just have it on, say, while you're doing dishes or something?

#26 of 43 Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 AM

I'm getting ready to start Hypnobabies too! I'm only 23 weeks, but I think the extra time will help me. I was debating doing Bradley first, but I feel that I can get the technical information elsewhere, and I really want to go deep into the relaxation, as I'm someone who needs a lot of practice with that. winky.gif  Also, DH and I watched a lot of YouTube videos and were really sold on hypnosis over Bradley.  The moms just looked sooooo much more comfortable.  

I'm also curious to hear how others are liking it so far. Let's check in here as we go?

What do you all think about hiring a doula when doing Hypnobabies? Ideally, I'd like to find one who knows the method and can help me with the hypnosis scripts, but then could also provide "back up" techniques if at any point the hypnosis isn't working as expected.  

#27 of 43 Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 AM

I've got the material and was planning to start in week 29.  I'm afraid to start too far in advance, since you're supposed to do it about an hour a day (if I'm understanding correctly).  I'm week 23 now, so Not much time to go.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Can't wait to compare with other mamas too.  Anyone else planning to do it?

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
#28 of 43 Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicim View Post

I'm getting ready to start Hypnobabies too! I'm only 23 weeks, but I think the extra time will help me. I was debating doing Bradley first, but I feel that I can get the technical information elsewhere, and I really want to go deep into the relaxation, as I'm someone who needs a lot of practice with that. winky.gif  Also, DH and I watched a lot of YouTube videos and were really sold on hypnosis over Bradley.  The moms just looked sooooo much more comfortable.  

I'm also curious to hear how others are liking it so far. Let's check in here as we go?

What do you all think about hiring a doula when doing Hypnobabies? Ideally, I'd like to find one who knows the method and can help me with the hypnosis scripts, but then could also provide "back up" techniques if at any point the hypnosis isn't working as expected.  

We did Bradley last time and really recommend it. It really helped DH to advocate for us. I'll be reviewing the materials with DH this time around. That said, I've heard that our instructor give more information than is typical.

ETA I'm excited to try the Hypno Babies and see how it's different.

#29 of 43 Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM

I just received my hypnobabies course and I'm very excited.  I can't believe how comprehensive it is.  I keep reading so many wonderful birth stories using the method and it's very motivating.

I can't seem to find a recommendation on when to start in pregnancy.  I'm thinking around 28 weeks or so I don't stress if I miss a day or two....

#30 of 43 Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

We did Bradley last time and really recommend it. It really helped DH to advocate for us. I'll be reviewing the materials with DH this time around. That said, I've heard that our instructor give more information than is typical.

ETA I'm excited to try the Hypno Babies and see how it's different.

me too. i started 2-3 wks ago (after planning a hb for my 1st and ending up with a c/s i have a lot to work through). i figured it couldn't hurt plus they have a maintenance schedule. i listen to the positive affirmations while, driving or when ds is napping. i read the book throughout ds' naps too. i do the hypnosis at night before bed. it's very relaxing. i still need to order the vbac cds.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page