Anti-Morning Sickness Smoothie Recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I concocted this the other day and it has been doing WONDERS for my nausea. I don't know if it just has a placebo effect or if it is simply magical, but I thought I would share it with my DDC buddies in case any of you want to try it too. It does have animal products, but I'm sure some of you vegans could make the appropriate substitutions. If you do make any changes, post them back here so we can all benefit!

This makes enough for about 5 cups. I've been drinking about a cup once or twice a day, especially first thing in the morning. It does change color a little being left in the fridge for a few hours, but it still tastes good. It does need to be stirred or re-blended before you pour it again.

So here's what's in it:

1 cup yogurt (I use fat-free)
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1 cup juice (any kind would work, though I think apple or berry-based juices go better than orange)
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries (strawberries, peaches work too, probably any fruit that has a high water content)
1 banana
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (maybe a little less if you are not used to having flax)
a drizzle of honey or other sweetener to taste
ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever to taste
fresh ginger, to taste (I add a piece maybe 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch?)
break in one 100 mg capsule of vitamin B6

Hope this helps someone else!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#2 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM

This is close to my regular smoothie pre-pregnancy! I don't usually do juice, but i will add ginger now!
#3 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 02:06 PM

my regular breakfast smoothie from before pregnancy but still having it now and my nausea doesn't start until much later int he day

handful of hemp seeds or other nuts and seeds
handful flax seeds
some dates
fill blender with lettuce and cup of water
blend that until petty smooth and not taking up much space in blender anymore
then fill blender with frozen fruit and a bit more water

the lettuce sounds strange but it has lots of folic acid and other healthy stuff and i can't taste it!

my favorite breakfast have it every day unless we run out of ingredients then have to do with something else.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#4 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM

moonfroggy -- lettuce is awesome in smoothies, I love the very mild 'fresh' taste it gives. I'm right there with ya'! I sometimes do spinach too which is very mild-tasting (so long as it's fresh, never use frozen blech).

Thanks for the smoothie suggestions ladies! We love 'em around here.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#5 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 PM

i have a big green smoothie everyday for breakfast...have been for years now! it makes me feel sooo good, adding ginger is a great idea for the nausea, I hadn't thought of that for some reason. sometimes i start the day with a ginger tea and then have the smoothie, so it makes sense to combine them.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#6 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
i have a big green smoothie everyday for breakfast...have been for years now! it makes me feel sooo good, adding ginger is a great idea for the nausea, I hadn't thought of that for some reason. sometimes i start the day with a ginger tea and then have the smoothie, so it makes sense to combine them.
I have fallen off my green smoothie/green juice wagon a while back. Curious what you put in yours. I use to use 1 avocado, vanilla almond or rice milk, lots of spinach/kale/chard filled up to the top depending on what I had on hand, either frozen banana or berries, ground flax seed and I think that's it... probably should have stuck with water but the vanilla milk was yummier.

Need some inspiration to overcome my "laziness"!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#7 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM

I am a bit leary of smoothies right now. With my first pregnancy, I threw up at a friend's house because ALL I'd had to eat that morning was a smoothie. BAD IDEA. With this one, I lost it because I tried to gulp down my vitamins with a potent herbal infusion. VERY BAD IDEA. But if I drink them with few solid carbs or some protien or NOT first thing in the morning, that might work much better.

I was loving the green smoothie thing this summer with our local CSA greens, but right now I am using a scoop of a green suppliment in with my frozen strawberries, banana, and rice or almond milk. Mmm. Bonus: my daughter loves them too and they are a healthy and delicious snack for afternoons.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#8 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodbri View Post
Curious what you put in yours.
I aim to use a different green every day of the week. This week it has been:

watercress
spinach
parsley
kale
sunflower sprouts

other greens i like are: chard, romaine, baby bok choy, purslane. i actually like lettuce the least for some reason.

then i put fruit, of course. i love it with mango and banana. i also love it with really ripe persimmons, which are in season right now, so I'm having that a lot lately. Basically any sweet fruit that looks good at the market. When I run out, I use frozen berries.

Then I squeeze the juice of an orange in and top that off with water. That's it! Sometimes I add a spoon of coconut butter, if I'm using tropical fruits like mango...so good. I don't like to mix nut mylks with fruit other than banana. If I don't have greens on hand for some reason, I will make a shake with fresh almond mylk, banana and a spoon of nut butter.

I make a whole blender full and drink it ALL. A big handful or two of greens every day! love it!

now that I'm pregnant again, this doesn't tide me over until lunch anymore, as it digests fairly quickly. So I usually eat something a little more substantial a couple of hours later.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page