For those of you with morning sickness that need company... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So with DS it seemed I could not stop throwing up ~ which was somewhat annoying but at least I knew the outcome. Now it seems with this pregnancy that I cannot throw up ~ I just stay sick to my stomach 24/7. I can be at a restaurant and in 5 mins I can go from "X sounds really appetizing" to "X makes me want to puke my brains out" back to "X sounds like what I have to have"...

I hate to say it ~ but I would almost rather just puke and get it over with...this back and forth crap is for the birds! I thought it would be comforting when the morning sickness set in as this is a PAL for me (had a 6w6d loss in September). And to some degree it is a level of comfort but also VERY annoying to just not be able to puke. Now I just stay annoyed 24/7.

Any other mamas out there feeling this along with me? On top of the morning sickness my little pooch has started and now finding myself needing to find more comfy clothing!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#2 of 26 Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM

I am right there with you.  It is so annoying!  This is my first, but I have just had the aversions to food, and wanting to throw up, but I can't.  One minute something sounds like the most amazing food in the world, then when it's in front of me, I can't even look at it.  I take it home, and then I heat it up and scarf it down.  Good luck, I hope it ends soon since the end of the first trimester is almost over. (at least it is for me).

Married to DH (1/07) Failed IVF with ICSI (11/08) Weight Loss surgery (06/10) 1st BFP EVER!! (9/10) Due (6/11)
#3 of 26 Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 PM

I hear you, ladies! With Quinn, I was nauseated 24-hours-a-day for 22 weeks. It was awful. I think I only threw up like eight times during that period, but I was miserable day-in, day-out. This time around, I am nauseated 24-hours-a-day and throwing up a lot more often (like once every other day). Both times the only foods that seemed remotely appealing were fruit, bread and eggs. And I haven't set foot in a restaurant since the week after I conceived! I just keep looking forward to January, but I'm a little scared about how much weight I'll lose by then. With DD, I only lost a pound in the first tri, but this time around I've already lost 8...

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#4 of 26 Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM

me!  ugh...it just kicked into high gear this past weekend (about 7 weeks)...it's awful - I've never had it like this before!  I can't/don't throw up, but the 24-7 nausea has left me barely able to function (or sleep!)...I'm just going through the motions at the moment, praying it lets up around 10-11 weeks like it did with both my boys!

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#5 of 26 Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 AM

I started feeling better @ 10w. Hang in there! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_mama View Post

me!  ugh...it just kicked into high gear this past weekend (about 7 weeks)...it's awful - I've never had it like this before!  I can't/don't throw up, but the 24-7 nausea has left me barely able to function (or sleep!)...I'm just going through the motions at the moment, praying it lets up around 10-11 weeks like it did with both my boys!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 26 Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM

I feel your pain!  I've got the 24-7 nausea going on to.  I wish I could just throw up and then go on with life.  I think I'd feel so much better if I could.  Have any of you tried starting your day with a popsicle?  I've been starting my day this way for a bit now and it really helps me to coat my stomach with a sugar before even getting out of bed.  Helps me to get some food down too.

#7 of 26 Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 AM

I'm 8 weeks 5 days right now and the past couple days I was actually feeling okay.  It was actually making me a little nervous, so I guess my body decided to reassure me because today I feel like I'm about to puke at any moment!  I'm wearing sea bands and constantly trying to eat something small to keep my stomach happy, but it's not working very well today!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#8 of 26 Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

It is so funny ~ the days I feel terrible like Monday I just wish I could feel better. Then I feel better like today ~ and wish I could feel worse to know everything is okay (as if that is a sign things are okay). I get so annoyed with the constant nausea wishing I could just puke and move on. The one thing I found is having hard candy to suck on seems to help. Trouble is I have a cough right now and just about every time I cough I gag! I have a super sensitive gag reflex anyway...but now it seems like it has a hairtrigger...LOL!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#9 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM

I feel everyone's pain.  I am sick everyday, but I do seem to feel better most days from 11-3, so it is like a mini-break.  But then in the evening I spend my time vomiting.  And it doesn't make me feel any better.  I wish it did, but I normally start vomiting which makes me gag and then vomit/dry heave some more.  It's pretty terrible.  I did get a script for Zofran and when I take it I feel less like a puking type zombie.  I can't wait until it subsides (which for me last time was at week 20).  

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#10 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM

I will miss the joys of Thanksgiving this year. Just don't cook in my kitchen!

#11 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM

I will miss the joys of Thanksgiving this year. Just don't cook in my kitchen!

#12 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 PM

I'll be almost 12w by Thanksgiving and am hoping for a decent enough day. At this point I'd rather sleep all day than do family stuff. Tonight I'm cooking dinner for my kids for the first time in about two months thumb.gif Their diet has been fairly atrocious lately. 

#13 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I am cooking dinner at home for the first time in over a month myself ~ and pitiful as it is I am cooking frozen lasagna and green beans! Lucky for DH and DS ~ lasagna actually sounded good for dinner. I am not looking forward to the turkey on T-day but I am looking forward to all of the cheesy casseroles we fix! I fear that even with the MS I am going to be big as a house given all of my distinct cravings this time around.

#14 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

I will say that the chorus of my childrens chewing sounds is just about the grossest thing I've heard all day. They're not wild animals or anything (sometimes) but it's hard to take none the less.

#15 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I've been feeling really horrid this pregnancy too. I had my first prenatal today and got some Zofran. It did seem to help. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been slacking on feeding her children properly. I feel so bad but I haven't been able to face cooking and my dh isn't home to do it. So the zofran seemed to enable me to actually cook dinner tonight which is good.  I'm 10 weeks and hoping this part is over soon!

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#16 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coharmony View Post

I've been feeling really horrid this pregnancy too. I had my first prenatal today and got some Zofran. It did seem to help. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been slacking on feeding her children properly. I feel so bad but I haven't been able to face cooking and my dh isn't home to do it. So the zofran seemed to enable me to actually cook dinner tonight which is good.  I'm 10 weeks and hoping this part is over soon!

I took Zofran with DS but they only had the tablets you put under your tongue then ~ and it got to the point that just the taste of the Zofran tablets would send a vomit reaction! I was just told they have a pill form ~ so if this gets any worse for me I will definitely be calling! So far though I seem to be only throwing up a couple times weekly. I am hopeful that it will not last the entire pregnancy like it did with DS ~ I threw up until I had him and even afterwards!

#17 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM

does zofran help with nausea, too, or just the vomiting?  I haven't gotten a thing accomplished this week - at work OR home! :/ 

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#18 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM

I have found that it helps a little with the nausea not a bunch.  I needed to take some prevacid (which helps with the over abundance of stomach acid that I had and the Doc stated that it should help with the nausea also).  I still have the dry heaves but on the zofran I am not vomiting multiple times a day and the nausea is much more manageable.  I can work.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#19 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM

I cooked! I cooked!

Well, not really, but I did fry up some shumai that was frozen. For me that was a miracle last night. I don't want to say it's letting up... but I am having a few good days.

Whatever you do, especially those of you who have germ toting kids, don't get a cold! Sore throat + puke = pain. And, since you are having nausea, I won't go into detail about how nauseating mucous is.

Strangely, trapeze is helping me... I started doing it  last summer and I think the exertion and focus is helping. I don't feel like doing anything, but I go and think I'll just watch and then I do it and feel better.

#20 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Ugh. I have a little cold and keep waking up from a dead sleep positive that I'm going to vomit all over myself. Luckily I just cough like a fool and go back to sleep. Don't get a cold, ya'll!  

Trapeze sounds amazing!

#21 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi ladies

Haven't been on the forum too much. I too have been suffering from all day sickness. Filled my prescription for Zofran. It helps with the nausea/vomiting a little bit. Been trying to eat small meals throughout the day. My husband was is in training for his new job-so he is gone all week and comes home only on the weekends. I have been exhausted taking care of my dd(6) and ds(3) and  working full time (12 hour shifts at night) as a nurse. The hardest thing for me is grocery shopping and cooking. I try and prepare nutritious meals for my kids but it is so hard to cook that I'm pretty much puking in between cooking :(  But I have achieved putting healthy food on our table. I noticed that if I stay away from processed foods, they stay down better. Work is hard too. I do a job where I come into contact with many smells. Just last weekend I took off a dressing from a diabetic foot that had an infestation of maggots-yuck. I am hoping the nausea/vomiting go away soon. I cant wait to be able to fully enjoy my pregnancy. I was able to see/hear my little beans heartbeat on ultrasound a couple days ago and it made it so much more real. Here is for another 3 1/2 weeks until hopefully I feel better (I felt better at 12 weeks with my other two). I hope everyone here feels better soon. Hang in there. I keep thinking of the beautiful baby I will be holding/nursing this summer and it makes me feel motivated to get through this stage.

#22 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM

i'm with you on this one. except i'm actually vomiting almost daily. and it doesn't really make me feel better - it just wears me out and then i'm back to the nausea. yesterday, i threw up three times; it's a drag! i'm a little over 9 weeks. those of you who say it lasted until the 20's are scaring me!

cynthia, 38 - high school english teacher, wife to a wonderful writer, expecting first little one in June 2011
#23 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_hope_2_b_mama View Post

i'm with you on this one. except i'm actually vomiting almost daily. and it doesn't really make me feel better - it just wears me out and then i'm back to the nausea. yesterday, i threw up three times; it's a drag! i'm a little over 9 weeks. those of you who say it lasted until the 20's are scaring me!

Everyone told me that my 2nd pregnancy might not be as bad as my one with DS ~ my response is I would rather be surprised than unprepared...so I figured I would be sick the entire time and if I am not then it will be a pleasant surprise! That being said ~ most people I know felt a lot better in their 2nd trimester...and even I did (even though I was still puking). I found a way to kind of throw up and keep moving by the 2nd trimester with DS...fell into a pattern I guess!

#24 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm there too... this pregnancy has been the worst bout of hyperemesis I've ever experienced. I'm on 9+ diclectin per day, plus Gravol for breakthrough, and Zofran in the cupboard just in case. And with all that I'm down to a "managable" feeling horrifically nauseated 18+ hours a day and occasionally puking. When I puke it feels WORSE, not better. I stay heaving for hours, and when I puke I puke so hard that tears stream down my face. It's awful. I would do just about anything to make this go away.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#25 of 26 Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Hi Ladies!

Today I'm 9 weeks and 2 days pregnant with Twins!! I had all day sickness with my 12 yr old son for the whole pregnancy so I knew this one was going to be bad. I actually just got out of the hospital for dehydration!

Here's what I've learned... There are 3 pills you can take for vomitting... Phengren (which makes you sleepy and doesn't help much with sickness), Zofran (which is pretty good, it doesn't make you sleepy) and Reglan (which is great also).

My problem is, is that I love to guzzle water while I eat. They figured out at the hospital that the food and water does not mix well with my stomach. It's been hard for me to not drink while I eat, but as long as I only take a couple sips while I eat, I don't get as sick. Every time I threw up, the water would come up first, so this is what lead them to have me try to not drink while eating.

Also, I have to eat as slow as possible, which means sometimes eating cold food.I also don't eat large meals. When I'm done eating, I have to get up slowly and go sit in my chair for atleast 30 minutes to have all my food settle without my body moving.

Also, NO FRIED FOODS! The grease doesn't settle well with your stomach!

I know this may be alot of info, but man, when you're pregnant and feeling like crap, any help you can get is great. I know when I first got sick with these twins I was googlin' everything and couldn't find the answers the hospital gave me. So hopefully this will come as help to some of you.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Here's to happy and healthly pregnancies and EATING!!!

#26 of 26 Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 PM

So far the zofran has really been helping me. I feel a little neauseous (sorry that is a word I can never spell right) still but I can actually eat and drink water. I think I was getting horribly dehydrated.  I have been cooking and even cleaning a little bit. So I would say even if you're not vomiting all the time and just have the constant about to puke feeling zofran might actually still help.

Lilyrn11-I cannot imagine working 12 hour shift right now. Major props to you.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page