Chat Nov 21 - 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't see a new thread.  How's it going?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#2 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

For prenatal care I see an office with several CNMs, a couple of OBs and a couple of NPs. Each appointment is with a different provider so we get used to them all. Yesterday I was scheduled with a provider I hadn't seen before and she was very judgmental of me for having theoretically gained a few pounds more than I should, and very dismissive of my concerns about ultrasound & Dopplers. I was pretty upset about being treated that way. In my state CNMs don't attend home births and I am starting to reconsider whether I want a hospital birth at all, which I've been on the fence about. The more I think about the current model of maternity care the more it seems like I'll be letting myself in for months worth of having to fight the system, and I've hit the point of thinking I should just give it all a pass, switch providers, and have a home birth. So ... I'm frustrated.

I feel okay right now, not great. Still hungry but not as much as during weeks 6-7 (about 10 wks now) and I have more energy than I did then.

#3 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Yikes, sorry to hear about your appointment, erigeron. Good luck figuring out how you want to go forward. If you do go back to this practice, can you go with a partner or even a friend next time? I might want some extra support if I were in that situation. 

I'm 12w1d today myself. I have had almost daily vomiting (and often more than 2 or 3 times daily) for about six weeks. I think it has been calming down somewhat, but it's aggravated by bad smells. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of bad smells in my apartment. Waah. I never realized it before. The main culprit is a seriously kaput washing machine. Walking into the bathroom is the cue for pukage. Guess how often I'm getting up to pee in the night?? Uggg. With the washer: long story short, the spin cycle is kinda broken, and so the water isn't draining properly. Uggg. There are no laundromats nearby that I can find. I looked into new washing machines today. Uggg. But I think we're going to have to find a way to spring for it .... at least they will take the old one away when they deliver the new one. 

I've been starting to share the news of this pregnancy (I've been calling it our long term project) with more friends. It's really fun!! I've kept this news pretty close to my heart .... it's nice to let it out a little. 

hi!

#4 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Erigeron - So sorry about the negative appointment.  I hate when I walk away from things and have that bad feeling.  It sounds like they aren't in the right business...otherwise they wouldn't be trying to make you feel bad.  Not good.

Elisabeth - A new washing machine makes ALL the difference in the world!!!  I literally *love* my new ones compared to old ones.  Unfortunately I just moved into a rental and ours won't fit here so I've got to go back to the old kind...it's horrible.  I desperately miss mine!  There should be some fantastic deals in the next few months, though. 

I saw my midwife for the first time yesterday.  She is very low-tech doesn't do doppler or ultrasound.  This is my first experience with this and as much as I was theoretically ok with it, I'm beginning to wonder if I can actually go the entire pregnancy without seeing the baby on screen.  I keep thinking that this is just something I need to get used to in thought.  I think a lot of the anxiety about it is probably all the questions I will get from friends and family asking about it.  Most people I know have never even heard of people not getting ultrasounds or dopplers.  My cousins got probably 5 each pregnancy and they had zero complications.  Anyway, it will all be ok, I just need to get ok with it.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM

getting ready to share the news at thanksgiving with family! banana.gif anyone else?

am i the only one left at 12+ weeks who can still wear low-rise jeans? ok, granted, i used a hair tie so as not to button the top, but still. i *could* have buttoned them. it just is more comfy unbuttoned. the top part of my belly...now that's another story. i'm still trying to conceal the bump at work, so tight-fitting tops are not on the menu. but i swear one of the women at work was staring at my midsection today. i'm going public on december 8th at a parent meeting (i'm a teacher). should be exciting!

oh and the morning sickness (which for me is all day nausea) is not getting better yet. the exhaustion is easing up a bit, but i just want to crawl into bed early in the evening to avoid feeling the nausea. so still early to bed for me. lol. dh just remarked that i am still in the living room at 6:00! i've usually crawled into my hole by this time...maybe it is easing up just a little! lol.

hope everyone is well. i'm off to eat toast with jam. or honey.

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#7 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Hey lady, my MATERNITY jeans are low rise, ok? orngtongue.gif

What joyous news to be able to share with your family during Thanksgiving! 

#8 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm 10w today and we heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time.  So very exciting, really cemented everything, and of course I cried.  My belly continues to change, I can still suck it in, but only for about 10 seconds because it's horribly uncomfortable.  Into maternity pants now for sure.  Getting ready for thanksgiving with the family, energy is coming back a little more, all in all it's been a great week here!  Oh and I just ordered my first spinning wheel! Super excited to get my hands on it!  Hope everyone has a great week!

Beloved of Chris since 12/31/08. Missing our sweet Persephone Grace 5/24/11 - 5/26/11 angel3.gif So much love baby girl, so much love.

#9 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm still in regular low rise pants at 10 weeks. At 5 weeks, I was sure I was pooching out. At 8 weeks, I could DEFINITELY tell. Then, today, my pants actually felt kind of loose. Maybe because they're super low suddenly. I have maternity clothes washed and ready to go, but it seems they'll just hang out for a bit, I guess.

Working toward weaning DS, I think. I'm sad and conflicted about this. It feels like rats gnawing on my nips every time he nurses, though. I just can't bear it for more than a few minutes. We've night weaned for the most part. He's doing  really well with nursing  bit, then rocking to sleep. I'm devising some distractions. But I'm sad. And he's sad. It's sad.

I started watching an infant, 13 weeks, part time on Monday. I'll have him M, W and every other F all day. He is having trouble with taking a bottle, so it's been trying. DS is so darling with him, though. We have the Dr Sears What Baby Needs book and read it almost daily. It has cute little "tips" boxes on "making friends with your baby" and DS has been trying all of them. He's even patient with the crying. I think he's going to be an amazing older brother!

I told my mom and stepdad. Waiting on DH to tell his family. He doesn't want to announce at Thanksgiving because he doesn't want it to be a "big deal". Um, hello, it is kind of a big deal! He just hates being flashy or dramatic. I gave my mom a gift bag with a positive test in it. I love the drama. Whatevs. Waiting to come out to the general public until probably 12 or so weeks. A friend had a 12 week loss earlier this year and it's definitely in my mind.

Knittin Mama, that's exciting about the wheel! I dabbled years ago, but never really got it. Now I don't feel like I have the time. I'd love to see pics of your work when you get started!

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#10 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling more uncomfortable with things on my belly, but I'm really not showing at all.  I am overweight though, so it's not like I have a flat tummy... I just continue to look overweight, not pregnant.  I'm looking forward to being noticeably pregnant.

#11 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM

My default style is skirts with drawstring waists, but I've definitely put on a bit of a pooch and if I were still in pants, they'd be snug. 10 wks today.

#12 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I mostly wear skirts too, and am hoping to get some maternity leggings soon to wear underneath.  I live in a town with very little maternity stuff available, so I hope to hit one of the bigger cities nearby this weekend or next.  Anyone have a maternity legging recomendation?

#13 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
Anyone have a maternity legging recomendation?

The ones I have by Gap are super comfy. 

#14 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:23 AM

we are also planning to broadcast on thanksgiving. our immediate family/friends know and our code of silence ends on thanksgiving. i'm almost 11wk2d. we heard the heartbeat and despite a rocky start (lots of bleeding) i am feeling confident about this June baby.

i hardly wear jeans and when i do i have been rolling them down (i don't own any low rise). still able to button them, but we'll see how much longer i can get away with that.

i'm still nursing ds which i think is slowing my weight gain. it's not a deliberate diet or anything, i just can't see weaning ds so young. plus he is teething and the increase in nursing really seems to help him lately. nursing hurts for the initial latch and then if he stays on ridiculously long (or 3 hours the other night). other than that my nipples are basically comfortably numb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

getting ready to share the news at thanksgiving with family! banana.gif anyone else?

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#15 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 AM

I had an appt. Monday and heard the heartbeat for the first time! It was pretty much the coolest thing ever, and definitely made the pregnancy seem more "real" to us. Heart rate was 158.  What does that mean according to the old wives tale about gender?

I'm 12w4d now, and we are starting to tell people outside the immediate family. We each told some friends and co-workers yesterday.  We'll tell the extended family on Thanksgiving.  Not sure how to make the announcement (I really don't like being the center of attention and don't want to make a big fuss about it).  I may just tell a few of the aunties and let them casually spread the word. redface.gif

For some reason, I weighed 4 lbs. less at my 12 wk appointment than the 8 wk. headscratch.gif I'm only a few pounds more than my typical weight right now. Should I be worried? I feel like I've been eating PLENTY (and despite feeling sick, I've not really been vomiting).  One difference is that I have less appetite for sweets than usual. Normally I am a sugar fiend - now, not so much. Maybe I was getting more empty calories from sugar before.  Also, I think she may have misread the scale at my 8 wk appt. - it seemed like she read it before it actually settled. My belly is definitely growing, though.  I'm wearing most of my pants unbuttoned with a belly band, except a few that were low rise or baggy to begin with.  So I guess that's a good sign.  Thanksgiving should help with the weight gain too. orngtongue.gif

Wishing everyone a happy holiday!

#16 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM

They say a slower HB is a boy but not sure how they measure that considering my first HB ultrasound at 7 weeks was 136 BPM, then the next at 9 weeks was 179 BPM and now at 12 wks 3 days I am 156 BPM.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#17 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicim View Post

I had an appt. Monday and heard the heartbeat for the first time! It was pretty much the coolest thing ever, and definitely made the pregnancy seem more "real" to us. Heart rate was 158.  What does that mean according to the old wives tale about gender?

I'm 12w4d now, and we are starting to tell people outside the immediate family. We each told some friends and co-workers yesterday.  We'll tell the extended family on Thanksgiving.  Not sure how to make the announcement (I really don't like being the center of attention and don't want to make a big fuss about it).  I may just tell a few of the aunties and let them casually spread the word. redface.gif

For some reason, I weighed 4 lbs. less at my 12 wk appointment than the 8 wk. headscratch.gif I'm only a few pounds more than my typical weight right now. Should I be worried? I feel like I've been eating PLENTY (and despite feeling sick, I've not really been vomiting).  One difference is that I have less appetite for sweets than usual. Normally I am a sugar fiend - now, not so much. Maybe I was getting more empty calories from sugar before.  Also, I think she may have misread the scale at my 8 wk appt. - it seemed like she read it before it actually settled. My belly is definitely growing, though.  I'm wearing most of my pants unbuttoned with a belly band, except a few that were low rise or baggy to begin with.  So I guess that's a good sign.  Thanksgiving should help with the weight gain too. orngtongue.gif

Wishing everyone a happy holiday!

Don't worry about it :) As long as you are eating plenty (and as well as you can!) weight fluxuation is totally normal.

Trying to make it through Turkey Day with little issue tomorrow. Easier said than done. Trying not to think about returning to work on Monday.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#18 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 PM

duh.gif So I just found out that my company got bought by another company. AGAIN. Which means that in January, I will have new insurance (That is if I still have a job). Really, really bad timing. Our entire corporate infrastructure/IT dept is NOT part of the sale too. Since I do all the IT stuff for our office.... my life is going to be stress filled hell for the next however long. URG.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#19 of 23 Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 PM

weliveintheforest- motherhood maternity is great for us canadian mommies. Good quality, fast shipping and decent prices

Elizabeth-ditto about a new washer....I love mine

I am 10w5d by my lmp. I feel fat and tired. I am still wearing my regular pants but they are sure getting tighter. I have to buy some new maternity pants because I was 40 lb lighter the last time I was pregnant and there is no way the ones I have are going to fit.

My husband and ds1 are all on the mend now. My hubby will be off work for 2 months while he recovers. My ds got a nasty gash on his lip today and I had to go get him at school and take him to the hospital. They glued it back together and back to school he went. No way was he missing pizza and hot chocolate day at schooltwins.gif

He is such a trooper.

I still haven't seen a doc regarding pregnancy. My first appointment will be on the 6th.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#20 of 23 Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Hey mamas, not too much going on here. Just trying to stay warm. It is really cold today. We heat our house w/ wood and it was 55 in the house at 7am. We were going to go to Mass, but had snow and ice so we stayed home. I ate way too much pie :) Otherwise, we are having a great day. Finished up our 16 week of school and will be off until the first week in January. All of us are so excited! I am totally showing, 11 weeks today, totally in maternity. I found a bunch of stuff at our local resale shops. I traded my old stuff that was way too big for smaller sizes since I am almost 40lbs lighter than when I conceived Finnian. Oh, we found an old piano at our Salvation Army here in my small town and brought it home two days ago, a belated birthday present for me and to the kids.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#21 of 23 Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 AM

Morning Ladies...

Have a dry run of what 4 kidlets is going to be like. It's just me and my 3 as well as my niece today. I managed to make it through breakfast and now they are watching some cartoons while I try and figure out how to get some cleaning done.

Sent my midwife a message today hopefully will have an appt. made for this next week to get in and see her. I'm still going back and forth on what I wanna do for birth. I head back to work tomorrow. If they are lucky I won't just walk in and give them my two weeks notice. I'm truely ready to be done with it...we're thinking if I can hold out for January then we'll take our tax return and use it to pay the bills until I catch a part time gig.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#22 of 23 Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Hi girls!

I had a awesome Thanksgiving with very little nausea!! Yay! Ate too much and went to sleep way too early. Perfect! :)

Had an appt the day before and did a u/s for first trimester screening. Baby was moving and waving away. It was awesome!   BUT!!! Then I read an article this morning about a new study linking brain damage with ultrasounds! :( I am so sad that something so routinely offered by the medical community could cause damage to my baby. DH really, really wants to know the sex of this baby, so I am thinking I will ask the tech to do that u/s as quickly as possible as not to expose baby too much. :(

I am 13.5 weeks and my all day sickness/vomiting is finally waning!! I am still exhausted and nauseous in the evening, but I haven't thrown up in about four days, so MAJOR improvement! :cheer

Also yesterday morning I felt my first definite movements. I got up a little earlier than normal, slammed a cold glass of water and then jumped back in bed under the covers. I guess all of that sudden movement and the cold water got baby going and I felt flutters on my left side for about 30 minutes. Sooooooo awesome!! I love, love, LOVE this part of being pregnant!!

Oh, and I am wearing my low jeans with a pony tail elastic on the button whole. These are more comfy right now then my maternity jeans. I hate the maternity band around my belly - soooo uncomfortable!

Take care ladies!!   ~ Jen

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#23 of 23 Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Hey lady, my MATERNITY jeans are low rise, ok? orngtongue.gif

What joyous news to be able to share with your family during Thanksgiving! 

hehehe. i so get it now. my cousin just shared four pairs of maternity jeans with me....omg, i never knew how comfy they were! with my other pregnancies, i never bought or borrowed maternity pants of any sort. i don't know what i did. i guess i wore skirts down low and dresses... well, i am hooked on my low-rise and skinny maternity jeans! lol.ROTFLMAO.gif i so thought i'd hate the stretchy belly cover, but it is actually really comfortable. no more hair-ties and falling-down pants for me!orngtongue.gif

well, we told our extended fam on thanksgiving and it was so funny. my dad had the flip camera out (he already knew), and was filming everyone saying "someone has some news to share..." and my step-sis says, "i'm not pregnant!"; then a pregnant pause, and i say, "i am!" she was totally stunned. jaw2.gifsweet. she is recently married and really, really wants to start her family, but her dh is away at training so they only see each other on weekends right now. tough. so they are waiting until they are actually living together full time. everyone is really happy and supportive about our news, and i am grateful for that.

i have my next mw appointment this wednesday. i am 13 weeks today. time is flyin'!!

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page