anyone else having an NT scan? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine is this Thursday, and I'm a little nervous! Just wondering if anyone else out there is having one...

cynthia, 38 - high school english teacher, wife to a wonderful writer, expecting first little one in June 2011
#2 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM

I'll be having one soon. I'm 12w4d and will probably get the call for my scheduled date tomorrow. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 05:31 PM

I had it done today. It was just like a regular ultrasound. I was a little nervous but I am pretty low risk. I did it basically to prepare myself in case there was something found. I had already done the blood work and so they were able to give me a preliminary report and everything looked good but, they don't really tell you either way.

Good luck ladies and just think of it as an extra chance to see your little one.

Megan

#4 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Going in for mine tomorrow 10:30am just a plain scan they check growth, nasal bone ocsification and the thickness of the nuchal fold. Ultrasounds are never 100% accurate so I wouldn't worry, for me it's just a reassuring peek at the baby.

Good luck hope you get a good look at your little one!

#5 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM

I had mine yesterday.  It went fine, I was relieved to see the baby moving around and (frankly) still alive -- I'm a total worywart.  They gave me several souvenir pics too!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#6 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 AM

I had mine last week. It's easy! Just sit back and relax and watch baby wiggle! ;)

mama to three amazing girls (05.07, 09.08 and 2.11) expecting #4 in July
#7 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM

AHHHHH!!!!! I just had mine and it was great! Sorry for the shouting it's just that, well from what the tech and I could both tell......There was a total lack of penis!!!!! Having two boys already this comes as a total shock to me, we'll see for sure in a few months but the tech said if she had to guess now she'd say girl and gave me a shot that says "girl?" as she was explaining where she saw the sliiiight three lines....wow...baby waved at us but slept most of the scan everything else was great measuring a day ahead hahaha we all know how accurate that is....

Hope you enjoy your scan!

#8 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post

AHHHHH!!!!! I just had mine and it was great! Sorry for the shouting it's just that, well from what the tech and I could both tell......There was a total lack of penis!!!!! Having two boys already this comes as a total shock to me, we'll see for sure in a few months but the tech said if she had to guess now she'd say girl and gave me a shot that says "girl?" as she was explaining where she saw the sliiiight three lines....wow...baby waved at us but slept most of the scan everything else was great measuring a day ahead hahaha we all know how accurate that is....

Hope you enjoy your scan!

Wow, that is so exiciting. I asked the tech if she could make out the gender but, she said if it was a week later she would take a guess. Hope it works out the way you would like!

#9 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM

I have mine at 8am tomorrow. I'm more apprehensive than excited. I'm not expecting anything to be wrong with the baby but I'm still holding my breath as it's not something I'm doing for fun. 

I had one with my last daughter and it turned out she was already too big. At that time I was told that she was "probably a girl" but as I understood it they look at the genital tuber and not necessarily labia and penises and such. 

http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

#10 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Great to hear all the positive energy around the scan! I am mostly nervous because I'm pregnant after 4 losses and still not out of the worrying stage. It's amazing - up until this week I've just worried about staying pregnant, and now it's been immediately replaced by worrying about something being wrong with the chromosomes. I didn't even take a day off before I switched worry topics!

Because I've been with an RE, I've had 3 ultrasounds already (nuts). The baby has grown perfectly every time and the heart keeps on beatin', so this just might be it :) I wish I was just excited to see things on an ultrasound, but really I'm worried I'll see something bad.

I really, really appreciate the positivity! PAL can be very anxiety ridden and I'm loving talking to the "regular" (wrong word, but, you know...) pregnant ladies out there. Thank you :)

cynthia, 38 - high school english teacher, wife to a wonderful writer, expecting first little one in June 2011
#11 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM

I can totally understand where you're coming from after two losses I worried a lot that something could be wrong after spotting and bleeding for three weeks. The only thing that has helped me feel better about it is I know if I spend the whole pregnancy on pins and needles I will look back and regret not enjoying it like I sort of did with my son.

You could try and embrace this pregnancy for what it is, a totally new pregnancy that you should love every minute of.  Take care of yourself and try not to stress too much mama hug2.gif

hehe the same website says this at 13 weeks "The external genitalia are well defined making it is possible to determine the baby's gender"

(eta:wouldn't let me post twice in a row so I made two into one)

#12 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 PM

tomato.gifWell I've never been one for detail! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post

hehe the same website says this at 13 weeks "The external genitalia are well defined making it is possible to determine the baby's gender"

#13 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM

I'm curious who writes the site now though because it is filled with poor grammar and spelling I never noticed before orngtongue.gif

#14 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good energy. Just had the scan and all went well. I think I finally believe there's a baby in there! :)

#15 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 AM

This morning I got results on my bloodwork and re-told the results of the NT scan - a perfectly healthy baby joy.gif

#16 of 23 Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, me too! :)

#17 of 23 Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Just had mine this morning, and blood tests will be back next week or so.   Everything looked good :)

#18 of 23 Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM

I do not have mine until the 27th. Technically I would be in the time frame to have it the week before Christmas but the office is booked solid that week so we are waiting until just over 13 weeks. I am hoping that will give me a better chance at details for gender : ) I am actually looking forward to it ~ the ultrasound is what I am craving! So glad everyone got good news!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#19 of 23 Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 AM

I had mine on thursday, and everything looks great! joy.gif

Where i live, the scans are done by your OB right in their office...so no technicians involved and the equiptment is very high tech, too. I was surprised that my doc told me she could already make out the gender pretty clearly (12 weeks 6 days). I wanted to find out eventually, but i wasn't at all mentally prepared to find out so soon! Grr. Anyway, despite her seeming fairly sure, i can't bring myself to bond with the idea yet im case she's wrong. Man, you learn something new with each pregnancy, that's for sure!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#20 of 23 Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

I had mine on thursday, and everything looks great! joy.gif

Where i live, the scans are done by your OB right in their office...so no technicians involved and the equiptment is very high tech, too. I was surprised that my doc told me she could already make out the gender pretty clearly (12 weeks 6 days). I wanted to find out eventually, but i wasn't at all mentally prepared to find out so soon! Grr. Anyway, despite her seeming fairly sure, i can't bring myself to bond with the idea yet im case she's wrong. Man, you learn something new with each pregnancy, that's for sure!

I was given a "probably" and "most likely" with my previous babe during the NT and, while she is a girl, I agree that it's wisest to hang on for confirmation in a few weeks. I didn't ask this time because my DP wasn't present and wants to wait for birth anyway. 

I'm so happy everyone is getting great results! 

#21 of 23 Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm going tomorrow.  A little nervous...my husband's sister has down syndrome, so we felt really strongly about having the testing done.  Trying not to stress too much though. 

#22 of 23 Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

I hope you got great news today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley55 View Post

I'm going tomorrow.  A little nervous...my husband's sister has down syndrome, so we felt really strongly about having the testing done.  Trying not to stress too much though. 

#23 of 23 Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

We don't have our official results yet...but the genetic counselor said one major sign of possible down syndrome is the absence of a nose bone in the ultrasound.  We clearly saw the nose bone and the tech even pointed it out.  The baby had a super strong heart beat and was flailing around like crazy.  I am feeling really excited and things are on the up and up.  It amazes me the difference a few weeks can make...we saw tiny facial features, hands, feets....we were floored. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page