Weekly Chat 12/5 - 12/11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought that I would start the weekly chat this week...

We had our second MW appointment over the weekend and we were able to hear the heartbeat!!!  a nice solid 144!  I almost cried during the appointment because I have been so stressed about loosing this baby after the two late 1st tri losses this year.  I am feeling so much more at ease!  It was wonderful because she found the heartbeat right away.  It is definately feeling more real now.

So to make things interesting I thought that I would also add a Question of the Day (QOD) -

What has been you weirdest pregnancy food aversion to date?

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM

joy.gifbaby heartbeat! Glad hearing that gorgeous sound made you feel better!

I've had a lot of disconnect with my LO until this morning when I got my NT scan results back. I feel like I can breathe smile.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Better week this week. We are off school Yay! I must be getting into second trimester cleaning obsession, cleaning things I can't do often, organizing etc. One of my twins and I cleaned scrubbed their room, dusted shelves, got rid of tons of no longer needed books, freecycled a mattress, organized the school shelves of books we are not using this year, swept the driveway of loose hay that escaped a bale of hay. Yesterday dh and I bought a new washer, ours is ailing and my dd's and I could not handle it any more. We will pick it up Friday. Our electric issues seems to be resolved w/ dh's diligence last week. Our radiant boiler pump is working after a good bit of oiling. The weather has been so warm the last few days, we are enjoying that too. I went for several walks, but got shin splints. Not too bad though since I was already working out inside most days.My kids woke up to chocolate in the shoes, St. Nicholas Day. The little middles are coloring now, and one of my oldest is making Christmas cookies. Good day.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Yay for chatting!  Glad to hear about connecting with babies and better days.

I just came back from my first appt with the midwife.  I am struck by how different it is to work with her versus the OB and even the CNMs I had before.  So personal and real.  She offered the doppler just in case I wanted it but I decided to skip it since I have been feeling movement.  Next time she'll use the fetoscope.  I measured 10 cm, does anyone else know their measurements?  :) 

I haven't really had any food aversions...

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 PM

yeah! Baby heartbeat! What a beautiful and reassuring sound, congrats!

I cried too (for a while, like five minutes) when we heard ours, my DP and midwife were kind of like, ok its a hearbeat of course its there. But growing a baby is so mystical and its kind of hard to believe its really happening :) I thought I would be one of those mamas totally hands off and totally low-intervention, but that was the most glorious sound!!!

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View PostI must be getting into second trimester cleaning obsession, cleaning things I can't do often, organizing etc.

I was just wondering if anyone else is getting their 2nd trimester nesting on. I am 12 weeks today and last night I went a little crazy. DF is a bartender and works late. I always do my best cleaning in the middle of the night, for some reason. Last night I cleaned and rearranged our whole house, including hauling huge shelves and easy chairs up and down 2 flights of stairs. Why I did that when we are moving tomorrow, I really don't know, lol! This is my third pregnancy and I've had uncontrollable cleaning and organizing urging from 12 weeks on during both of my other pregnancies, too. Sitting here in my nice, clean house, it kind of makes me wish I could be pregnant all the time!

I also *finally* got my prenatal vitamins yesterday! I ordered Newchapter vitamins *3* weeks ago and just got them, which was really frustrating. Instead of the 2 large bottles that I ordered, they sent 8 small ones, lol, so I guess they must have had problems with their stock or something. I've been taking a women's multivitamin, but I really think I can feel a difference in myself after just 2 days of taking the Newchapter ones. About 1-2 hours after I took them yesterday, I felt more clear-headed and energized than I have in the last 3 months. Maybe any prenantal would have done the same thing, but I'm sooo glad to finally have them.

Right now DD1 (in a floor-length sparkly black wig and nothing else but her bib overall snowsuit) is teaching DD2 (also in her snowsuit, ready to go "snowing") her letters and they are pretending to be superheroes  while I enjoy a hot cup of coffee with my little dog curled on my lap. Not a bad morning, one of our last in this big, old drafty house.

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM

Arrggh!  First midwife appointment was scheduled for this morning, but of course she is on a birth and has to reschedule!  Dangit, I was so attached to the idea of possibly hearing the heartbeat today... only 11 weeks anyway, not sure if we would've been able to hear it, but I'm really having a hard time relaxing about this baby lately and need some reassurance.  She's going to call later to reschedule, it'll just be later this week, but feel like crying anyway.

Saturday night ate some fried chicken which seemed like a good idea at the time... now it's on my Never Again List.  Totally paralyzed my intestines, I threw up once that night and once the next morning, had to cancel appointments on Sunday and everything.  Jeez.  Green smoothies abound in our house this week.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM

We are started our December birthday rounds today. Balen is 10 today, Kellen 8 on the 18th and Taegan 12 on the 30th. Fun day today!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymagnolia View Post

I was just wondering if anyone else is getting their 2nd trimester nesting on.

Ha! lol.gif I so wish! I am soooooo lazy. In fact, I think I am going to get off my butt right now and go try to do something...

Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Sounds like everybody's week is off to a good start!!  Yay!

I'm feeling pretty good, and as for the question ... I haven't had any food aversions this go-round.  thumb.gif

I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow and am currently without an ob or mw.  I'm kind of scared to call my insurance company ... I'm just so tired of being told that this pregnancy is going to cost us a bajillion dollars.  :P  I have a tendency to stick my head in the sand when it comes to financial matters, and just hope that if I ignore it long enough, it'll all sort itself out.  SUCH a grown-up thing to do.  LOL  I'm missing having some sort of prenatal care, though, so I need to get it all worked out.  My last prenatal visit was a month ago and they weren't able to hear the hb with the doppler.  I'm fluffy, and was just 10.5 weeks at the time so that wasn't a surprise, but still ... shy.gif  Y'all think some happy thoughts my way that it'll all be straightened out soon and with relatively little pain! :D

My next most pressing issue is going to be rounding up some maternity clothes.  We thought dd#2 was going to be our last, so I didn't keep any clothes from that pregnancy.  I lost 30+ lbs. earlier this year; the pants that didn't fit anymore ... do again.  Eek!  I've actually lost some weight since the beginning of the pregnancy, but things are shifting around and my smaller pants were SO uncomfortable.  Bleh!  I wish my work environment were more conducive to just wearing dresses all the time, but pants/jeans are more appropriate.  Stupid power plant. LOL

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm 13 weeks this week, still feeling pretty 1st trimesterish, with some gradual improvements. I'm looking forward to having more energy and being less weird about food smells etc. wink1.gif

I have my OB appt this thursday, and I am super excited to verify that everything is fine and to meet this new doc, as I haven't been to her before.

We have lots of snow on the ground and my little boys are so happy to be out in it everyday...it has been so good for all of us!

We're living in an exciting/nerve wracking time right now, as we're waiting for my dh to find out his next posting (we are moving abroad...currently in Switzerland). Not the best timing for a pregnancy, but we like to live on the edge I guess. hehe We should find out where they are sending us any day now! It's driving me crazy not knowing!!!!! eek! 

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Hi mamas!  Thought I would jump into the chat here cuz I have been lurking for a while!

I am so happy for you that have gotten to hear the heartbeat!  I have an appointment tomorrow with my midwife, but its doubtful we will hear it.  I am only 11+ weeks and I have a retroverted uterus so we usually can't hear the heartbeat until about 13 or so weeks. 

As far as nesting goes, I am not quite 2nd tri yet and I am still stuck in morning sickness/fatigue-land, so I have not gotten the "get things done" bug yet... but I feel it stirring around in the back of my head.  I actually bought one of those "organize your life" books from Amazon and though it will probably sit on my nightstand unread for the next 9 months, it makes me feel better knowing I have a resource if and when I need it eyesroll.gif

Wake Up - fried chicken has been on my never again list for some time now!!  I think I was pregnant with DS when I craved it like mad and then quickly realized that there was no way my stomach could EVER handle all that meat and grease.  Every once in a while I still get a taste for it, but it shall never pass through my lips again.  Never!!

I have had so many food aversions that I don't know where to start.  It seems like the only things I CAN eat are eggs, plain pita, peppermint ice cream (yay!) and a salad here and there. The smell of garlic has been the most off-putting.  And I have not been able to eat any meat at all - I never eat red meat or pork, but I do like chicken and fish.  It has been about a month since I have been able to stomach either of those.  It is just about impossible to cook meals for my family.  I am really hoping that the next week or two brings some closure to this food (mis)adventure!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM

I forgot about the organizing!  LOL, I don't usually connect nesting to 2nd tri, but man ... I rearranged the entire pantry room and living room last week.  I started the weekend with a pack of graph paper, a 25' measuring tape, a pencil and scissors.  I built shelves, moved furniture, the whole nine yards.  Not finished yet, but hubby is insisting that he be the one to organize the bookshelves.  eyesroll.gif  The girls' room is next.  mischievous.gif

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM

~~ hi all hola.gif ~~

dd and i are sneaking in some christmas music while dh and sons are out surfing. hehe.

nice to see everyone and read about appointments, moves, cleaning and food. speaking of food, i think it was sunday that i was on mdc and reading someone's post about having chili for dinner. of course, in that instant, i had to have chili. made a big ol pot and it was sooooo yummy. those kind of things happen to me pretty regularly. i think of something, and i have to have it. one of those things is fish n chips. i've been thinking of them for a few days.... hmmm, maybe i'll call dh.....eat.gif

i'm suffering a bit from a cold, but feeling less nauseated today. after so long feeling queasy, i'll take stuffy any day.

i have a meeting tomorrow evening with the parents in my class ( i teach first grade). i'm going to announce my pregnancy to them. i'm a little anxious/nervous about their reaction. some may fear i won't be coming back (although at this point, i feel i'd like to return sometime in the next school year). in a waldorf school, teachers ideally stay with the same children for 8 years, and some parents are really attached to this ideal. of course, as we all know, life happens. but that rationale doesn't change people's feelings. perhaps i also feel a bit of guilt for starting on this path and then having to switch gears.

anyhoo, positive thoughts!! namaste.gif i'm looking forward to everyone in my work community knowing, so i don't have to wonder whether my growing belly is causing people to ponder....

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post( i teach first grade).

From a mama of an extremely challenging 7yo 1st grader - THANK YOU for the work and love you put into your students.

In other news I think it's the greatest thing ever that I can now feel my baby move many times a day. They're still little feelings but there's no doubt that it's my baby orngbiggrin.gif

Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

In other news I think it's the greatest thing ever that I can now feel my baby move many times a day. They're still little feelings but there's no doubt that it's my baby orngbiggrin.gif

Wow, already?!  That's so great :D  I hope I feel my baby soon... at this point I'm second guessing my due date, so it could be a while.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Arrggh!  First midwife appointment was scheduled for this morning, but of course she is on a birth and has to reschedule!  Dangit, I was so attached to the idea of possibly hearing the heartbeat today... only 11 weeks anyway, not sure if we would've been able to hear it, but I'm really having a hard time relaxing about this baby lately and need some reassurance.  She's going to call later to reschedule, it'll just be later this week, but feel like crying anyway.

Saturday night ate some fried chicken which seemed like a good idea at the time... now it's on my Never Again List.  Totally paralyzed my intestines, I threw up once that night and once the next morning, had to cancel appointments on Sunday and everything.  Jeez.  Green smoothies abound in our house this week.

So funny, in my first trimester I craved horrible fast food. Now in the second I'm craving oranges and salad, thank god :) It is so frustrating when your MW has to reschedule, and so hard sometimes waiting for that first visit! Only two more weeks and you'll be in the second!! Now I feel totally different :)

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug2011 View Post

So funny, in my first trimester I craved horrible fast food.

I am all OVER junk food right now, it's horrible.  I catch myself thinking "I could totally eat a bag of Doritos" or "I will die if I don't eat some McDonalds fries."  It's nuts, I usually eat pretty healthily but the last few weeks I've been fixated on greasy salty goodness.  I try to limit my splurges to once a week or so, but it doesn't help the cravings.  Does anyone else dream about food?

DH is no help, either.  If I say "ooh, [something horrible] would be really good right now" he immediately pipes up with "you want me to go get some?"  I love that he's trying to be helpful, but I really don't need him enabling me.  smile.gif 

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM

I kinda wish my DH would humor my craving sometimes. lol.gif The only way is if he's already at the grocery store and I happen to have a craving, I will call him to pick it up and he usually will. But if we're at home in the evening or whatever? No way. orngtongue.gif The other night I asked him to go pick me up some boneless wings from BWW, which is seriously like a block away and he wouldn't. lol.gif Oh well!

Ya'll need to send me some of that cleaning energy. There are so many things I want and need to get done, but I just can't seem to make myself WORK.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

It is great at our house... both DP and I have the cleaning bug!  Not that it is a bad thing lol.gif We spent 2+ hours cleaning our refrig on Sunday.  DP keeps saying that we need to clean the basement... not sure that I am up to that!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post
I am all OVER junk food right now, it's horrible.  I catch myself thinking "I could totally eat a bag of Doritos" or "I will die if I don't eat some McDonalds fries."  It's nuts, I usually eat pretty healthily but the last few weeks I've been fixated on greasy salty goodness.  I try to limit my splurges to once a week or so, but it doesn't help the cravings.  Does anyone else dream about food?

DH is no help, either.  If I say "ooh, [something horrible] would be really good right now" he immediately pipes up with "you want me to go get some?"  I love that he's trying to be helpful, but I really don't need him enabling me.  smile.gif 

i catch myself dreaming about food too. or sex which is funny bc i haven't acted on it since the early weeks before i knew i was pg (i was on pelvic rest due to spotting and can't shake the feeling that if we dtd i'll bleed again).

my food aversions: fried foods, pumpkin (i ate a ton when i was pg. with ds), spicy or garlicy foods, & meats that taste too "meaty." i dislike a lot of foods while i'm pg and often have to force myself to eat.

i am drinking apple juice which i haven't drank in over 20 years.

i am looking forward to my mw apt. tomorrow (i hope she isn't out at a birth). not the hour commute, but i really like my mw which makes it worth it.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM

We (meaning DS and I) heard the heartbeat today!!! heartbeat.gif  I was totally shocked because I am only 11w4d and with my previous pregnancies we didn't hear it until I was at least 13 weeks.  Yay!!!  I was so happy my little DS was there to share in the moment.

I can't seem to shake the desire for junk food, too.  I actually bought a package of Oreos yesterday Sheepish.gif and it has been YEARS since I had those.  Oh well - they're delicious!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 AM

I had my OB appt/scan today...the baby looks sooooo good! In one image it looks for all the world like there is a little penis sticking straight up, maybe i'll scan it in and see what you all think. I know it's early, but it looks pretty pronounced...hahaha.

Happy to be starting the second trimester!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

In one image it looks for all the world like there is a little penis sticking straight up, maybe i'll scan it in and see what you all think.

You should check out this website: http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html  Apparently we all look like that at some point!  shy.gif 

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I can't seem to shake the desire for junk food, too.  I actually bought a package of Oreos yesterday Sheepish.gif and it has been YEARS since I had those.  Oh well - they're delicious!

They ARE delicious!  Was over at my mom's last night and ate a bunch of the inside-out ones - vanilla cookies with chocolate filling.  Hoo boy!

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

They ARE delicious!  Was over at my mom's last night and ate a bunch of the inside-out ones - vanilla cookies with chocolate filling.  Hoo boy!

Wow.  Those sound fantastic.  They will be gotten on my next trip to the grocery.

It seems like just when I think I am feeling better and try to eat a "regular" meal, the barfs come right back and I can't hold anything down.  I am only able to have little tiny bits of food here and there and absolutely nothing with any real flavor - spices or otherwise.  For some reason, cookies, plain pita chips, cheese and eggs are just about the only things I can eat and not get nauseous afterwords.  I want this to end already!! Boo!!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Mmmmm now I want Oreos.  I haven't had any food cravings I don't think, but I can't seem to eat more than about 2 bites of anything and I feel full already.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

You should check out this website: http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html  Apparently we all look like that at some point!  " rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/shy.gif">shy.gif 

I have been looking at that site...that's why i mentioned the fact that it's sticking straight up...just like the boy image. I could never see that before on other 12 week scans, so weird. I know it's early, so we're not thinking too much about it, it's just funny to see anything at all so soon. innocent.gif

Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Today, at 14 weeks pregnant, I got a distinct Humpty Dumpty vibe when deciding what to wear. I have decided that a small cardigan buttoned over my expanding abdomen is a less than stellar idea.  

Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 PM

had our prenatal apt. last night. we got a better recording of lo hb (ds was clapping blocks together during the last one, so you couldn't really hear it). txted the hb to family members. it was a great apt.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

User Tag List