Weekly Chat 12/14 - 12/20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start a new chat thread since it seems we are a few days behind...

Sarah, I'm so sorry to read in the last thread about your dog. hug2.gif

I'm feeling really good the last few days. I think morning sickness is finally gone. joy.gif And I feel like I have a lot more energy. Yay second trimester! I've been doing some prenatal yoga and it is amazing how great I feel after just a few minutes of that.

In regards to the people you know who do things differently...I tend to keep my mouth shut unless I am asked about my choices. Sometimes I wish I knew how to speak up in a respectful way, but I think if I did it would come out sounding too harsh, so I just let people ask me about my strange stuff and then talk about it.

The very top of my inner thighs is always sore...it feels like I always need to have my hips open. Like the perfect sleeping position would be frog legs with each knee on a big fat pillow and my belly hanging down in between lol.gif however impractical. And if I sit too long with my legs together and then get up and walk, it just hurts a lot right in there. Anyone else have this? This isn't the round ligament pain - that's in the abdomen right? Anyone know what it is and if it's normal? I never had this problem last time.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#2 of 53 Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 AM

Don't know what it is, but mine are sore too.  I feel like I need to sit with my legs splayed open (SO ladylike! LOL) but when I try to get up and walk, it takes a minute to get things moving properly.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#3 of 53 Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM

I have restless legs hitting me sometime in the evenings when I am trying to sleep.  SO annoying.  I am noticing a lot of circulation type annoyances this go round.  I think it has to do with the fact I am 40 and not 18 and 20 this time around.  Oh well, I will take it if it means a healthy, happy baby love.gif

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#4 of 53 Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks for starting the thread, BarefootSci... and congrats on the end of the morning sickness! That is pretty huge. 

I've also been feeling tons better in the last couple weeks, a couple vomiting adventures and some headaches aside. But talk about great ... my energy has really returned! I didn't know how beat down I was until suddenly I was feeling like cleaning the house and actually taking walks with the dog that involved more than a walk around the block. We even had a huge party last week for the last night of Hanukah ... 15 people in the apt and it was awesome fun (and was the first party we've thrown since moving out of the states over a year ago). I did use it as a chance to put a little TLC into my seriously neglected home. Hee. 

Yesterday I had another ultrasound, and saw movement for the first time ... this little being was kicking and squirming. It's really alive. It was about the most incredible thing I've ever seen. 

edited to make it less heavy. 

hi!

#5 of 53 Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM

RLS is horrible! I never had it prior my last pregnancy and am hoping it doesn't return. I usually practice Hypnobabies at night and RLS made that very frustrating. 

I got my anatomy scan appointment today! I'm so relieved to be in the 2nd trimester but still torn about my honey not wanting to find out the sex vs really really wanting to know myself. 

I continue to think that my chiropractor works magic on me. I'm going twice a week and it keeps me feeling decent in the hips and back. I didn't realise that since I've been PP with my 14mo (today!) that I had totally given up on stretching. My muscles are so tight! I got into fairly good shape during her 1st year only because we had to rely on public trans and do a ton of walking but then I got a car and immediatley got icky pregnant so now I'm soft. Yoga is feeling amazing om.gif

Are any of you unusually affected by the cold this year? I'm freezing all the time, I was freezing two winters ago when I was also pregnant but last year I spent a lot of time outside and, while it was cold it wasn't miserable I-wish-I-could-hibernate cold. I've lived in much colder climates without issue. Maybe I'm getting old. 

cold.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM

Yeah, I am having a hard time here in CT.  Normally I just suit up in my Carharrt overalls and stuff and feel nothing but warmth but unfortunately they don't make them in maternity so the cold goes through me when out feeding and stuff.  The ice has me concerned too.  I wouldn't care if it was just me because if i fell I would just suck it up and take ibiprophen but that is not an option this year so I am extra cautious about my footing.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#7 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 AM

I'm in NC but am still mindful of my footing and dreading a winter of growing larger/ice/carrying my toddler. I'm honestly more worried about my 14mo than the little babe who is protected in my body.

#8 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 AM

i'm struggling with the cold, too. just made a great purchase for that, though: a hot water bottle. heavenly. i'm in the north of germany (about the same latitude of edmunton, alberta ... but warmer, because we're regulated by the seas to the north and west), and it looks like another early, cold winter. with lots of snow. humph. last year, the city ran out of salt. they gave up (or so it seemed to me), and the town pretty much turned into an ice rink. i'm being careful of falls for mostly my own benefit -- not too worried about the babe, who is floating around and protected.

hi!

#9 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 AM

RE the cold ... we're so out of our element at this point.  We typically have mild fall/winters, with maybe a few weeks of relatively cold weather in January or February.  It was in the TEENS last night, for goodness sake.  That is NOT coastal Georgia weather, and we are NOT prepared for this!  LOL  I usually handle the cold much better as well, but it is kicking my butt this time.  Maybe because I don't have the option of just staying inside?  We have a lot of chickens to manage this year; that's new too.

#10 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is freezing! My husband keeps looking at me like I'm crazy for being bundled up and refusing to go outside haha. My little DD has been a great snuggler and helping to keep me warm... maybe :) I've also lost 99% of my MS, except for that yucky morning feeling where you look at all the food in your house and finally have to force something down to get your belly moving. I can feel my energy coming back to me... slowly....but still get so tired after cleaning or running errands. I suppose that is what freezing winters are for, taking naps and drinking tea :)

Can't wait until January 7th----> we may be able to find out the sex if this little baby wants us to!!!!!! I don't know why I am so nervous/anxious to find out, but I can't wait!!!!!!!! love.gif Finally found an OB that I can deal with and so thankful that she is all about getting me a VBAC and keeping the nurses away from me at the super icky Army hospital in town. She has already warned me that I will hate it, but it being our only option... I can deal : /  

Really getting excited for that nesting to hit so I can get my house perfectly decorated and organized.... I just wish this would hit before all the Christmas guests arrive :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#11 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM

I'm right with ya'll on the freezing....and I live in the tropics!  Everyone else is running around in shorts and summer dresses as it's our 'winter' weather of 82-84 every day, and I'm in long pants, shirt, and sweatshirt and then under a blanket at home, because my family has the AC on to stay cool!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#12 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

RE the cold ... we're so out of our element at this point.  We typically have mild fall/winters, with maybe a few weeks of relatively cold weather in January or February.  It was in the TEENS last night, for goodness sake.  That is NOT coastal Georgia weather, and we are NOT prepared for this!  LOL  I usually handle the cold much better as well, but it is kicking my butt this time.  Maybe because I don't have the option of just staying inside?  We have a lot of chickens to manage this year; that's new too.

I'm in the same boat!  Minus the chickens...  winky.gif  I live in central Florida, and nobody here is equipped to deal with the cold.  I see kids standing out at the bus stop wearing 3 or 4 hoodies because that's the warmest thing they own!  With my little internal furnace I'm definitely having an easier time of it than I would have last year, but still... We moved to Florida to get away from the cold! 

And then I feel bad for complaining, because I have friends in Michigan who are having to trudge through a foot of snow in temperatures that are in the single digits.  I'm a cold wimp, for sure!  smile.gif

On an unrelated note, feel free to laugh at me but I just discovered the magic of sardines.  They're like mini tunas!  And they're tiny, so no mercury issues!  I've been seriously craving a tuna sandwich the size of my face, but I'd been holding out.  Craving satisfied!  Yummmm

#13 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM

I spent most of my life in Tampa and the cold there doesn't seem any less brutal to me than the cold in MI/IN where I've also lived. No snow but it's still a terrible cold. My SO is in Tallahassee until NYE and is convinced he's freezing. I miss him so much :(

I'm excited for you MaryE! My US is on the 6th. I can't believe we're already that DDC! 

#14 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM

I am soooooooooo cold, I mean really. I am always terribly cold in winter, just miserable. We have had weird weather the last two weeks, much warmer, but still cold in my house. I am pretty much permanently by the woodstove, I do everything there, LOL. We are supposed to get snow tonight, tomorrow and Friday.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#15 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I spent most of my life in Tampa and the cold there doesn't seem any less brutal to me than the cold in MI/IN where I've also lived. No snow but it's still a terrible cold. My SO is in Tallahassee until NYE and is convinced he's freezing. I miss him so much :(

I'm excited for you MaryE! My US is on the 6th. I can't believe we're already that DDC! 

I totally agree that it's terrible.  Especially since being hot most of the year messes with my hypothalamus and convinces it that temps below 75 or so warrant shivering.  wink1.gif  The only upside is that cold here usually doesn't last nearly as long.

#16 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM

My big US is January 6th as well.  We are having them write the gender on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope until our adult daughters can come over that weekend and then our youngest will read what it says when we are all together.

#17 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I got my anatomy scan appointment today! I'm so relieved to be in the 2nd trimester but still torn about my honey not wanting to find out the sex vs really really wanting to know myself. 

Are any of you unusually affected by the cold this year? I'm freezing all the time, I was freezing two winters ago when I was also pregnant but last year I spent a lot of time outside and, while it was cold it wasn't miserable I-wish-I-could-hibernate cold. I've lived in much colder climates without issue. Maybe I'm getting old. 

cold.gif

MY DH didn't want to find out either but I think I have convinced him we are more "planning people" than "surprise people".  Did you find out with your others? 

YES....I am cold all the time.  I am usually pretty cold natured anyway but ever since getting my BFP I have been shivering cold all the time.  I have a little heater under my desk at work.  And I just traded my Wrangler for a Tahoe with heated seats...LOVE THEM!!  Although, I cried when we left the lot without the Jeep.

I have my gender scan on Jan 12th.  They are actually making me wait until 20w.  I was surprised since I have my regular appt the week before at 19w.  They probably would have scheduled them on the same day if I asked but that is just more sick time I will get to use.  Our mat care is weird (or maybe normal...not sure...never used it) in that I get 6 wks for a vag delivery but have to use all of my sick time available during that 6 wks. We get sick time back on a rolling schedule.  So the more I use now the faster I will get it back.

So now that I am in 2nd tri I have been trying to convince myself that I need to do some sort of exercise.  We used to go to Baptiste yoga at least 3 times a week but stopped after my mc in March.  So it has been a struggle finding the motivation.  We did go to the gym last night.  I walked for about 30 min on the treadmill...and I was pooped.  I fell asleep before eating dinner.  But I ended up waking up about 30 min later and eating...I don't miss many meals.  Hoping to mix in some yoga, just not hot yoga, soon.  I love the way it makes me feel!!

Has anybody started/considered starting RRL tea yet?  I said I would start around 16 wks but forgot to discuss it with my MW last wk.  It is listed on the safe herbs page she gave me.  But it doesn't say anything about her views on regular use of it in a tea.

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#18 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm so jealous of people who have heated seats. I imagine them being just about the most luxurious thing ever...next to someone washing, drying, folding and putting away all of my laundry. 

I did find out with my others. I think I'll ask my SO if it would be ok with him to have the tech write the sex down this way if he changes his mind and/or cannot stand the temptation it's there. One of us will have to give! Anyway, mine is at 17w6d. 

Funny that you bring up RRL tea - I've had a box sitting here beside me for weeks and somehow never manage to make it. 

#19 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM

I drink a cup a RRL almost everyday, my 10y/o brings it to me every morning after I exercise.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#20 of 53 Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. I must be the only one not cold. Or not colder than normal anyway.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#21 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 AM

I have a Jeep Patriot and LOVE the heated seats.  I traded in my beloved Montana for it because we only had one small child left at home so I figured I didn't need all the space and it was better on gas, little did I know! We found out the gender with our daughter's as well. The only one we didn't know until after birth is my little one because she was adopted at three days old and our match wasn't made before birth. I have been drinking Traditional Medicine Pregnancy tea right from the beginning and it is so yummy!

#22 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I am soooooooooo cold, I mean really. I am always terribly cold in winter, just miserable. We have had weird weather the last two weeks, much warmer, but still cold in my house. I am pretty much permanently by the woodstove, I do everything there, LOL. We are supposed to get snow tonight, tomorrow and Friday.

I want a woodstove.  That is all.

#23 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 AM

I'm not that cold, but am in TX and it's ridiculously warm still.  We do have our heavy blanket out, and for a couple weeks I was wearing fleece pants to bed, but then it got back up to the 80s and it's not bad. 

Skin is so dry though!  Got some cocoa butter lotion and everyone says I smell like chocolate :) I don't mind that!

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#24 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM

I hope that I don't jinx myself by saying this but I think that my morning sickness is gone.  I haven't taken zofran in three days!yikes2.gifI am sitting here and feeling almost good!  I really don't know what to do with myself lol.gif

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#25 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post

I hope that I don't jinx myself by saying this but I think that my morning sickness is gone.  I haven't taken zofran in three days!yikes2.gifI am sitting here and feeling almost good!  I really don't know what to do with myself lol.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

yay! 

#26 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks Kawa!  BTW I just love dancing Veggies!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#27 of 53 Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Hey icicle mamas, two words: Yak Trax! I was born and raised in the midwest, spent many years in Chicago where I walked and took public transport everywhere, and I still walk like a stiff, clumsy penguin when I'm on ice or even think there might be ice around me. I know I'll fall any second! But with Yak Trax I can RUN on the ice, no joke. The best $20 I've ever spent.

Kawa, don't find out! You should listen to your DP and let him announce it. It's fun to plan when you know the sex, but hearing it from an US tech is nothing compared to being in the glowy, exhausted, relieved, lovey space of holding your brand new baby and hearing your DP's excited announcement of the sex and/or the name of your baby! It's really worth it and if he's so into waiting, you'll be even happier that you let him have his moment. You can do it!

So we moved last weekend, the day before I threw my DD's 6th birthday party. DF was laid out after a moving accident (er...moving the washing machine up icy porch stairs?? They should have consulted me...) so me and my super-nesting energy took over and I moved the couch, the dining room table and chairs and 3 packed van loads of our belongings and stayed up all night unpacking and making our new little house into a home! By the time I was done, everyone thought I was lying and we had lived there for weeks. lol I love nesting. Why can't I be pregnant all the time?? It's funny, even after living in our last house for a few years, after only a few days, this place feels sooo much like our home. All of our things fill it perfectly and flow so well with the peaceful energy of this house. Even the dogs seem to be happier here. I couldn't be more excited about this house. love.gif Well, maybe if I had a wood-burning stove...

The party turned out to be my DD (regally decked out in her super fancy princess dress/creche/hooded cape from my mom, sparkly pink cowgirl boots from me, and a homemade felt crown from her little boyfriends), one of her girlfriends, and a house FULL of 6yo boys. I'm talking, boys in every closet, in the basement, under the beds, behind the couch. I never knew boys were so LOUD. I thought my girls were loud and wild, but they regularly mix it up with quiet with doll play or something. These guys climbed the walls at the top of their lungs for like 4 hours! omg please let this new baby be a girl! lol!

So glad to hear everyone is nearing the end of their MS and seems to be so upbeat! Have a great weekend! :)

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#28 of 53 Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 AM

I am still flip flopping back and forth between hot and cold so I can usually be found in a tank top with a thermal on top of it and sweatpants.  It's snowing and icing here, and seeing as how I'm a bumbling clumsy person to begin with I'm attempting to be extra cautious.  I'm so totally not ready for the holidays.  I decided to knit the women in my family socks for Christmas (that's 5 pairs) and I'm still not done with the first.  So everyone will be getting to see their pretty yarn on the 25th with the promise of transformation into nifty socks sometime in the coming months.  My mom has gone mad buying things for this babe, I swear she's on craigslist hourly, and admittedly has gotten some good deals.  I picked out some onesies this last week, and am eyeing books with baby knits in them :)  We're still undecided about the 20w scan, my OB encouraged but isn't forcing the issue.  My niece and nephew are moving back from AZ this week and I'm super excited because she is 20w so we'll be having our wee ones within a few weeks of each other!

Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!!!

Beloved of Chris since 12/31/08. Missing our sweet Persephone Grace 5/24/11 - 5/26/11 angel3.gif So much love baby girl, so much love.

#29 of 53 Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM

so the big news over here this week is that we found out we're moving to NYC just a couple of months after baby is born. And we're in Switzerland now, so it's a big move...both distance-wise and culturally. Very exciting, but also a little overwhelming to think about shipping all of our stuff and living in a hotel temporarily etc. Never a dull moment with us...haha!

anyone in NY?

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#30 of 53 Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 AM

Drowning in snow here, feeding and watering animals in the snow is not fun. We have a Christmas party/8 th birthday for our Kellen tomorrow and I cannot get to the store. We shall see today. We also got a foster calf for our milk cow to raise, but she is now being stingy and holding up her milk for us, LOL. I am so frustrated w/ dh, it took him almost 4 hours to get to work today. Honestly, why wouldn't he call in? Ridiculous!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page