It's a holiday week :) Weekly Chat 12/20 - 12/25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Holidays everyone!  It looks like it is going to be a busy week...  Is everyone ready?  I can tell you that I am NOT ready ROTFLMAO.gifhouse is a mess, presents are not wrapped, we still need to buy a few things!  Should be fun. 

I am looking forward to the full moon and winter solsitce on Tuesday, hopefully it is nice and clear. The Christmas weekend is going to be filled with traveling so it should be busy.  We are still trying to figure out what we will be serving on Christmas day bag.gifand we are having company!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#2 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Whew, sounds like you have your work cut out for you this week!  We're visiting family this year, so I ordered all our presents online weeks ago and had them shipped to my mom's.  happytears.gif  So all our shopping's done, but we will be channeling Santa's elves something fierce to get everything wrapped Friday night.  AND Saturday is the day of the "big reveal", since we haven't told our families about the baby yet.  I'm hoping I can hide my almost-belly Friday so I don't spoil the surprise!

I've noticed something kinda weird over the last week or so - my appetite seems to be back to almost-normal.  For the two months I'd wake up and feel like I was *starving*, and any time I went too long without eating I'd get so ravenous I'd end up scarfing down the first edible thing I got my hands on.  Now, though, I can take the time to make some eggs for breakfast and go out to dinner with DH without demanding bread the second the waitress shows up...  This is kinda the exact opposite of how I was expecting my relationship with food to develop during my pregnancy.  twins.gif

#3 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 AM

I am not ready either. I have lots of wrapping to do and wanted to make some more treats. No shopping though, thank goodness.

I think I told you guys about my grandpa with lymphoma...well he died yesterday so I am going to have to head there for a funeral on Wed or Thurs this week and then back here for Christmas with DH's family. Then next weekend back to my family for New Year's weekend. I am glad my grandpa's pain is finally ended.

My house is a disaster and I need a shower and have packing and wrapping to do and yet I am STILL being lazy. Will somebody please get a cattle prod?

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#4 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandpa but I know what you mean about the end to his suffering hug2.gif

My appetite is the same. There were so many times in the last few months that I had to eat RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Lately I've been feeling more level which is great because I would have ended up gaining two hundred pounds by June shy.gif

This week is busy for me with lots of appointments. Every time I get my kids in their coats and going in the same direction all at the same time I consider it a victory orngbiggrin.gif My SO will be coming home after some time out of state for work and we'll probably go see his family for Christmas since we just saw mine on Thanksgiving. I enjoy seeing family but not so much the packing and coordinating it takes to make it all happen for overnights and I know my LO's adventure with night weaning will be disrupted which is exhausting to think about.

I have a quickie ultrasound appointment in just over an hour and since I'm 15w3d and the tech and equipment are top notch I'm fairly sure finding out the babes sex is possible. Finding out has, of course, been the stuff of debate between my SO and I. Since he won't be there I think I'll ask that it be written down and if we decide to look we'll do so together. If not that's ok too. 

I think it would be a nifty Christmas gift to know stork-boy.gif or stork-girl.gif  

Lastly, thank you all so much for sharing your lives, stories, vulnerabilities and beauty here with me. I'm incredibly grateful for each of you and hope your holidays are wonderful. Next year we'll have babies in arms!                                     

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM

So sorry about the death of your grandpa. We lost my MIL this summer. I am still sad I can no longer talk w/ her about this baby and she will never meet him or her. She met Finnian for the first time three weeks before she passed. I am busy this week. I wrapped presents last night. I am painting my twins room today, undid a phone line and now our phone doesn't work so waiting for the phone people to come out. I have a burst of energy today. I waiver between sleeping wonderfully and waking and cannot return to sleep, leaving me exhausted. I hate it and find it frustrating. We volunteer at our monthly mobile food bank tomorrow. I am sure it will be a long evening, last month was as well. I have a few last minute things to purchase, but cannot get that accomplished until we get paid Friday. I have our dinner planned, Christmas dinner is more simple for us than Thanksgiving. We are having a standing rib roast. After coming home from Christmas Eve Mass we will have shrimp and homemade doughnuts as we always do. We got a new foster calf for our milk cow, Molly, to raise. He is doing well, but has a bit of scours so watching him closely. We had a ton of snow, but it had warmed up and now it is melting and everything is a muddy disaster. I have been overeating this past week, we had a party Saturday. I feel so hungry, like crazy obsession hungry, but I think I need to reign in our cookie baking a bit! I have thought about getting my 2y/o into the potty using thing, I think she could be ready, earlier than most of mine, but my 6y/o put her in the potty this morning and then for some reason turned out the light, freaking my little one out. We shall see. On a very positive note, my 4y/o Asperger's ds is now pooping in the potty. I am beyond excited as is my older girl's, LOL. I also need to help everyone who needs help make the gift for their secret St. Nick sibling.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#6 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandpa Barefoot. Annabelle, I lost my MIL in May of this year also.

As far as the holidays, everything is bought, wrapped, and under the tree. Christmas dinner in the fridge/freezer ready to go. We'll do seafood on Christmas Eve and then a Ham on Christmas Day. It will be just us as my family came down over Thanksgiving and Montana to Puerto Rico is too big a trip to take twice in a month! It doesn't seem like Christmas here with the weather. Hard to go from born and raised Northern girl to Tropical 83-85 every day.  The plus, I think we'll go to the Beach on Christmas Day afternoon :) just because we can!

I am envious of those of you who are eating!  I am always really hungry, but as soon as I take 2 or 3 bites I feel like I've just stepped back from an all you can eat buffet. I think it's been months since I had an actual MEAL. Just lots of little snacks. Haven't gained anything, lost some, but that's pretty common for me. I usually go to somewhere around 25-28 weeks before I gain, but I still end up with 8 lbs babies. Just seems to be how I do it.

Kawa, I go in on the 28th and will be just over 15 weeks too and I'm really hoping for a peep at gender too! If not, I'll be back in 2 weeks later, so I'm sure we can get it then. It seems crazy, but they want to see me every 2 weeks. I have ZERO risk factors and nothing abnormal going on, but it's just 'how they do it'. I'm going to a private 'upscale' clinic as that is actually the only place my insurance covers here on the island. And I guess when you're paying more...you expect to be seen more?? I will just push out my next appointment after that due to 'being out of town' or somethiing....LOL

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Since I declined the doppler, all the OB did at my prenatal visit today was talk to us (I thought it was odd that he didn't check the height of my fundus, but maybe that's normal?) A little background--this is a practice of several nurse-midwives and a couple of OBs, but at my last visit I saw an NP and asked her a bunch of questions about ultrasound, which she had no clue about so she recommended I see one of the OBs. I was prepared for anything but he was actually very nice and patient with us and didn't talk to us like we were idiots (none of which were qualities exhibited by the NP at the last visit). I had to say no to two different interventions on the part of the medical assistant and that always wigs me. I hate having to say a flat no when the medical person is coming at me with the [whatever]... it's different when they offer me a choice or ask if it's okay... and it's worse when they hassle me about it after I say no. I'll put up my hands and stick up for myself when I have to, but it always costs me. For these and many reasons I am looking forward to our appointment with the home-birth midwife next week.

I didn't really want an ultrasound but hubby, after doing his research and talking to the OB today, still feels pretty strongly about it so we will probably get one at our next visit in February (I'll be out of the country the whole month of January). I'm okay with it at this point... and I have to admit it'll be nice to know the sex.

Any of you ladies had a dental procedure during pregnancy? I got some temporary fillings put in today, and am looking at getting some permanent ones in February.

#8 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM

I know the sex of my baby but it's something I've been asked to keep from everyone in my life. My DP doesn't want to know or have it get back to him - no discussion. I've had a really hard time bonding to the idea of a nameless, faceless, sexless baby. My youngest has refused to nurse all day and that's sad for me. I was so afraid of her weaning too early that I considered terminating. I've felt mostly apathetic about this pregnancy. There are moments of happiness but I'm largely indifferent. I know that I'll love the baby and have to come to the point where I can birth magnificently. I needed to know, I needed to bond to my baby but now realise no one can share in my happiness. I have to keep secret that inside of my womb is my DP's first and only son. 

gloomy.gif

#9 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I made an appointment with a chiropractor today because my lower back or hips are out of whack and causing lots of pain for bending, lifting, walking.  Ugh.  I went in week 37 last time because my hips hurt then too. I really can't afford it, but then, I really don't want to go through the holidays and my 5th anniversary hobbling like an old woman.  I really hope it isn't related to the exercise I started up again last week.  I really want to build the right kind of supporting muscles so I don't have to be realigned all the time.

In happier news, I rediscovered guacamole last night!  Oh my! What an amazing food!  My friend brought it over freshly made with LOTS of lime juice, onions, and tomatillos (I think).  Somehow that salty, tangy, creamy dish hit ALL the craving spots.  Mmm!  It's not a cheap dish to make in Alaska in December, but I am going to try to get my hands on that recipe and make it again SOON!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#10 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM

kawa, you shared it with us! Is it ok if we be excited with you? joy.gif Yay a boy!!

hug2.gif

#11 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

kawa, you shared it with us! Is it ok if we be excited with you? joy.gif Yay a boy!!

hug2.gif

That made me smile. Thank you so much! blowkiss.gif

#12 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Kawa, How did I miss it? Here I was posting about guacamole and you know you're having a boy!  Congrats!  That is SO exciting!  We're waiting to be surprised, and we know we'd be thrilled either way, but both of us really would love to have a son.  Woo-hoo! 

And don't you love pregnancy hormones?  They are so difficult to manage, especially when you feel unsupported.  I hope this week can be full of joy and good things for you and your family. hug2.gif

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#13 of 27 Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Kawa, congrats! A boy! I think that's what I'm having, too...for the third time in a row! joy.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#14 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 04:48 AM

Thank you both love.gif and I'll never look down on guacamole talk! 

#15 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I know the sex of my baby but it's something I've been asked to keep from everyone in my life. My DP doesn't want to know or have it get back to him - no discussion. I've had a really hard time bonding to the idea of a nameless, faceless, sexless baby. My youngest has refused to nurse all day and that's sad for me. I was so afraid of her weaning too early that I considered terminating. I've felt mostly apathetic about this pregnancy. There are moments of happiness but I'm largely indifferent. I know that I'll love the baby and have to come to the point where I can birth magnificently. I needed to know, I needed to bond to my baby but now realise no one can share in my happiness. I have to keep secret that inside of my womb is my DP's first and only son. 

gloomy.gif

That's the joy of a due date club!! We can share in your joy and happiness even if you have to keep it to yourself at home. Congrats on another baby boy!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#16 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

joy.gifWe will all share the happiness with you if you don't mind!

I also wanted to say that I'm sorry about the sadness within the nursing relationship my youngest has now gone two days without nursing and I know my milk is basically next to nil now and I feel so horrid about it. It's not like he's throwing fits or distraught that there's no milk but it did seem very important to him and he's only 16 months I don't feel like he was ready to wean and was hoping we'd at least make it to two years, sorry that it is hard on you too.hug.gif  I'll thinking happy thoughts for you.

#17 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Kawa, congratulations on your baby boy!

I've been in and out of the hospital for IV fluids and gravol for the last two weeks. Things seem, for the moment, better, but we have elderly family arriving on the 23rd and I'm a little stressed about it. DH is working through the holidays, and so I'm doing all the cooking and driving (4 hours to go pick up his grandma) and entertaining. I'm getting nervous. I know I can do it if my health cooperates, but I don't know what will happen if I start puking again.

In Canada you can't legally find out the sex until 20 weeks (to prevent people from terminating based on gender), so I'll have my detailed ultrasound on Jan 19 when I'll be 21 weeks. I cannot believe how fast this is all going, and that some of us are nearly halfway done.

#18 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post

I also wanted to say that I'm sorry about the sadness within the nursing relationship my youngest has now gone two days without nursing and I know my milk is basically next to nil now and I feel so horrid about it. It's not like he's throwing fits or distraught that there's no milk but it did seem very important to him and he's only 16 months I don't feel like he was ready to wean and was hoping we'd at least make it to two years, sorry that it is hard on you too.hug.gif  I'll thinking happy thoughts for you.

I do want to say that DS2 weaned abruptly at 12 months because my mother died and I was gone so much trying to deal with all of it that we just stopped. I got pregnant about 4 months later and about half way through my pregnancy he just decided he wanted to nurse again. We went on to nurse until I ended up weaning DD at 6 months because working/pumping didn't work out and my supply tanked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

Kawa, congratulations on your baby boy!

I've been in and out of the hospital for IV fluids and gravol for the last two weeks. Things seem, for the moment, better, but we have elderly family arriving on the 23rd and I'm a little stressed about it. DH is working through the holidays, and so I'm doing all the cooking and driving (4 hours to go pick up his grandma) and entertaining. I'm getting nervous. I know I can do it if my health cooperates, but I don't know what will happen if I start puking again.

In Canada you can't legally find out the sex until 20 weeks (to prevent people from terminating based on gender), so I'll have my detailed ultrasound on Jan 19 when I'll be 21 weeks. I cannot believe how fast this is all going, and that some of us are nearly halfway done.

It's sad that people would do that gloomy.gif

I hope you feel better and can make it through the holidays unscathed!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#19 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Kawa Kamuri, congrats on your little boy!!!  That is such exciting news! Hopefully we can be your outlet for baby boy joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post

I am going through the same thing with DD.  She stopped nursing around 12 months and then a few weeks later came back full-strength (and then some!).  The last few weeks have been hard - she is fussy at the breast and is just not interested in nursing anymore.  I am sure my supply has tanked and she has really found joy in table food so I am thinking about just letting it go.  She is 17 months - almost the exact same age when my DS weaned because I was pregnant with her!  Hopefully this next baby will have a nice, long nursing relationship because I don't see any more pregnancies anytime soon!  It is such a hard transition when the nursing relationship changes.  With DS I cried and cried and prayed he would come back to it... this time around I feel more at peace, but still quite a bit sad.

I have to say that the last couple of days have been amazing for me - I have had little to no nausea and am starting to really recover from my pneumonia train wreck of last week.  Since we celebrate Hanukkah, I am not feeling the holiday craze like most everyone else and am enjoying a relaxing week of hanging out with the kids. We are going to a Christmas party on Saturday but that is the extent of my holiday plans.  DH and I never go out on New Years and quite honestly, we usually fall asleep at our regular time (like 10pm!!!) We are so lame!! eyesroll.gif

Does anyone make any New Years resolutions?  I think my only one this year is to try to remember to breathe deep and relax - let the stress float away on pretty little clouds... om.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#20 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Congrats on your baby boy! :)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#21 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM

I'll tell you  - I sat here for the longest time thanking you all and telling you how amazing you are and wrote about nursing and hoping everyone keeps to feeling better and then and then and then it was gone. 

In short: grouphug.gif

#22 of 27 Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm very pleased to have hit the minus-6-months mark (EDD June 21)! Hubby and I celebrated by announcing it on Facebook, where we've kept quiet (though everybody else already knows anyway). Though since pregnancies are dated at being 2 weeks longer than they actually are, I tried to calculate when I'll actually be 1/3 done with this thing and concluded it'll be probably circa this Saturday, but I guess it's close enough to celebrate now, especially since I think I'll probably go a little early anyway.

I guess we should eventually start accumulating baby stuff. Or maybe just make a list. I like lists.

#23 of 27 Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

There are moments of happiness but I'm largely indifferent. I know that I'll love the baby and have to come to the point where I can birth magnificently. I needed to know, I needed to bond to my baby but now realise no one can share in my happiness. I have to keep secret that inside of my womb is my DP's first and only son. 

gloomy.gif

Congratulations on your boy! I totally understand how you feel. I am so ambivalent sometimes. My pregnancy was a surprise, really a total, total surprise. I love the LO sooo much but am also terrified. Everything in our lives is changing and it feels like a train that won't stop. I am scared to be a good enough mother. Worried about having enough money, and then worried about worrying :) When they are so tiny it's hard sometimes to bond with them, it's hard to feel like its real. 

Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing and being honest. Pregnancy is beautiful but there are so many different feelings involved and we have to share them, good and bad.

ALSO ::: guacamole is the perfect food! A sweet friend just had her first baby, her LO put on a lb in the first two weeks : ) My friend thinks it's from all the avocados she eats. 

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#24 of 27 Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 AM

I love my boy. He is a joy.

They are such a different energy than girls!

#25 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 AM

Kawa Kamuri, I feel for you.  When I was preg. with my first daughter I wanted to know the sex and DH adimantly said he didn't.  When I had an appt. to find out the sex he stayed in the waiting room while my best friend went with me into the room.  Unexpectedly while there something wasn't right and the tech got the dr. who told us nothing but for my friend to get my DH.  She tried and he thought she was just trying to trick him into the room.  I came out crying after they told me she had what appeared to be fluid on her brain and told him.  He felt so bad because his stubborness got in the way of conforting me and being there for the moment of importance, that needless to say he goes with whatever now because he realized there are more important things than knowing the sex early.  BTW, it ended up not being fluid but space.  She has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum.  While still a brain birth defect, no where as severe as fluid.  So feel free to share this story with him and maybe he will feel a bit differently about what is important and realize that accidentally/purposely finding out the gender is not the worst thing he could find out. So. BIG hugs and COBGRATS on your boy!!!!!

I hope you all had a peaceful and harmonious day yesterday!  We got a couple things for the baby.  My middle daughter got a very soft elephant/blanket combo lovey for baby and my sister gave me an alpaca filled crib size comforter for baby.  We both have alpacas and sell the products and this was one of the things I loved that we carry!

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#26 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 AM

I spent a lovely 4 hours in the ER yesterday irked.gif Diagnosis= Nasty case of bronchitis and dehydration. Had me some IV fluids, tylenol, and reglan (to help me eat and drink and to help with my headache) and scripts for Azithromycin, Claritin, and Zofran (to help me eat still!)

Hopefully I'll feel better soon. I'm tired of the blahs...

In other slightly happy news, DH quit his job. Most people would be sad about the loss of income, but I'm just tired of never seeing one another and the house going to you know where because no one is ever home enough to get much done. Money wise we can make it on my check if we are really strict (plus this month is an *extra* check month AND tax return will be coming up really soon)

#27 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 AM

I hope everyone who celebrates it had a good Christmas. I am hopefully having a recovery day today after traveling for my grandpa's funeral last Tuesday through Thursday and then Christmas with the inlaws, some of whom kinda drove me crazy this year. My house needs to be cleaned. And I have a nasty cold.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page