Anyone making progress with names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love to hear people's name  picks and ideas. DF and I have completely opposite tastes and he seems inflexible on the few names that he likes. If it's a girl he wants to names her Blathnaid, pronounced Bla-heen. For a boy he wants to name him Fionn, which is nice but rhymes with the last name, which is not cool! lol Anyone else having better (or worse??) luck?

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM

As the daughter of someone with a not easily pronouncable name....I'd caution against your girl's choice! My mom has spent her whole life spelling and pronouncing her name, and has not enjoyed it. Also it seems completely different from your other kiddos names? Rhymes? Oh no!

Anyway.....we aren't having much luck here!  I have several girls names I really like, but we found out this week that it is most likely (75% chance) a boy after an early US. Soooooo back to the drawing board!  He likes very gutteral/harsh sounding names and I am not a fan.  We'll have a long road to a decision.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM

We haven't discussed it hardcore but there have been mostly disagreements between us. There's a name that I love love but it's very important to me that we both like like the name more than I have my way. I always get feelings about the name that belongs to each specific child and it's hard for me to not get stuck because to me that's the kids name. Reading about a parent who strongly insists upon a name despite protests of the other parent keeps me tame. I don't want to be that person!  

We just found out we're having a boy so that helps cut out a whole girl name debate. We probably won't go full force on names 'til my next ultrasound (on the 6th @ nearly 18w) when I'm hoping the baby didn't lose his penis. Picking out a girl name would be so much easier. My criteria are pretty tough - this is my 6th baby and the others all have similarities in their names that I want to continue so....four letters, two syllables and preferably containing an A as the others have. Tall order.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Dh and I pretty much are in agreement with names, but it will be much easier when we find out what we are having.  I love all our names, boys and girls, so it's going to be hard to narrow them down. :)

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 AM

We have our names all picked out.  We have a B, C and D names and was going to look for something with an E and actually had two picked out, but we soul searched and found others that were more spiritual to us (we are Buddhist).  We find out the 6th as well the gender so it will narrow it down quick.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM

We have a list, but haven't decided for sure yet. I usually make the final call. Dh has mentioned to use his mother's name, as a middle name, if baby is a girl. She passed last June. I am not set on this, but haven't said anything yet. She actually passed last June 10 and her birthday was June 7th, my mom's birthday is June 9th and I am due the 16th, but usually have baby a week before my "due date". Anyway, some rambling from me :)

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 AM

My DP has expressed a want to have the middle name after his paternal grandfather who abused his father who in turn went on to abuse my DP. Um, no. I can't get behind naming my kid after someone who led to the mistreatment of his father. I don't know what he's thinking. 

Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 AM

If it's a boy, I'm letting my DH name the baby....eeeeek! :) So let'd pray it's a girl...then I get to pick....well we get to use the name that we picked together. His names for boys are really traditional and while that's fine... it's not really the style of name that goes with  our DD. But, oh well... my husband is loving the idea of having this responsibility all on his own..he's so cute :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Google four letter boy names. It's crazy.  Apparently my dh wants to 'continue the theme' of 4 letter girl names if we have a girl, since both of ours just happen to have 4 letters.  I asked if the same was expected of a boy? Nutso.  Well there really aren't many 11 letter boy names out there, so I 'think' it's a no as a boy requirement but who knows.  At least there was one name on the 11 letter list that worksredface.gif for us.  I like a more traditional boy name since the girls have unique names and the boy has a pretty traditional name but my husband really doesn't like my boy name.  He would be ok with it but it's not his favorite.  

'Blathnaid' is one that I wouldn't do.  And I love unique names but there isn't an n in it yet it's in the pronunciation and that would be really difficult for a kid to deal with.  JMHO.  

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

My DP has expressed a want to have the middle name after his paternal grandfather who abused his father who in turn went on to abuse my DP. Um, no. I can't get behind naming my kid after someone who led to the mistreatment of his father. I don't know what he's thinking. 

We have (what I think is) a really great girl name picked out, but we're having a lot of trouble with boy names.  My DH is the Fourth, and he really wants to "pass on the name" but I hate hate hate the idea.  Like you Kawa, my DH's grandfather was abusive, and while FIL wasn't physically abusive he was emotionally abusive, although more-so with my SIL than my DH.  I know it's my DH's name, too, but I just keep thinking, why do you want to keep this going?  Also, I really don't like that I would have no part in choosing the name of the baby I helped grow, and (more practically) we had a huge problem when something from his father's credit history ended up on DH's report and almost left us homeless. 

We talked about this long before I got pregnant and he said he was okay with not doing it, but I guess the fact that it's actually happening has brought him back around to it.  I guess he's feeling sentimental.  And, of course, there's no real compromise with this issue - either we do or we don't.  I suggested we use DH's first name as DS's middle name, but he wasn't blown away.  As a result, even though we've talked about boys' names the ones we picked out are all over the place.

When we told my ILs the first thing my SIL and MIL asked was "is there going to be a number IV?".  To his credit, my FIL was quick to point out that DH "needs to make that decision on his own", but I was like "um, do I get a say?".  Maybe we'll have all girls and all this will be moot.  nut.gif

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM

I think we've picked our boys and girl name, we wont find out til end of January what we're having.

Girl: Ivory Luna

Boy: Nikolai (Niko) Asher

Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM

Nikie, could you do a middle name that means 'four' or 'fourth'....or maybe even a first if you liked it :) You could look at all kinds of different languages for 'four' also.  We have friends whose son is 'Trey' for "tres" for the three as they didn't want to actually do the whole 'third' thing for similar reasons.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Oops, I just realized I wrote IV, DS would be V.  But Crunchy that is a great idea!  Trey is pretty clever.  I semi-jokingly suggested Quintus (DH ignored me), but we could use Quinn or something along those lines.  I think right now we both need a break from baby names, but when we're ready to reconvene I'll bring it up.  Thank you!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 PM

We pretty much have agreed on names. For a girl, Olivia. If it is a boy Ethan.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM

We have pretty stringent criteria but we have finally agreed (and aren't telling my family in case they decide to be jerks about it). Hubby broke one of his own rules, though, and I broke one of mine too! Oh well. 

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM

We have no idea! We prefer traditional/old fashioned names. It's easier to find unique traditional girls names than it is for boys though I think. Not that there is anything wrong with John, Richard, William, etc but we want something a bit more unique. We don't know what we are having and after finding out the first two times this time around will be a surprise so we are going to need to pick out both. Right after we first found out we were pregnant with #3 we both agreed on a boy and girl name but as much as I like them I'm not sold on them. When we decided on dd1 and dd2's name they clicked you know. Nothing has really clicked yet. When we do decide I would prefer to keep our picks to ourselves until the birth which we haven't done before but since the sex will be a surprise why not the names too!

nikie23- DH is a 3rd. We have no plans on continuing that should we have a boy! We mean no offense to the name it's just not going to happen. Luckily dh's family is very cool with that and jokes around with us about it.

Melanie
Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM

I am nowhere with names.  I've looked and there is one for a girl that I'm kind of liking, but not in love with.  Absolutely NO earthly idea on a boy name.  Never had to think of that before!  Since we aren't finding out what we're having, I guess I'm going to be forced into one sooner or later!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM

We have a pretty good list of names going. We have several girls' names we really like and have a favorite picked out that we will probably use. On boys' names, we have quite a long list, but nothing that really blows us away. We used the only boys' name we REALLY liked on DS!

I think we're going to find out the sex this time (we are doing the anatomy scan so if they see gender we'll ask to know) so maybe we will narrow things down then. We've been calling this baby a girl all along, but I'm not sure that's true!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

My husband has said that he just can't think about names yet as it feels far too early......I on the other hand have been thinking about names since my daughter was born two years ago :-)

We have agreed to officially start the conversation when we find out the gender (at 22 weeks - end of January).  However, I already have a spreadsheet with some of my favourites! 

We really want meaningful names - our daughter's first name originates from my sister's name, and her middle name is my MIL's name.  We would love to keep that tradition for this new baby too.  My mother died when I was 12 and I would love to use her name somewhere, it was Lisa, and I have been searching out varieties and anagrams (some cool boys and girls options).  My FIL is Ed and if this is a boy we want to use his name or a variation of it for first or middle name.

Honestly though, I got my heart set early on for a first and middle name for if this is another girl.  My husband has said that they are nice but is very uncommital.  I LOVE the names, which is dangerous as I know I will be disappointed if he decides against them.  I do feel that we need to agree wholeheartedly though.

If it is a boy......well, I really don't know.  Boys names are just so much harder.  I have one which is an anagram of my mum's name (kindof), Elias, which I like but do not love!

Oh well, I guess I have to wait another month until the talk can really commence.........

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM

We are totally done picking names, first and middle.  We had a boy name leftover from last time, and we finally nailed down the girl name before Christmas.  This is the earliest we have been done.  We didn't finalize DS1's name until just a week or two before the birth, though the name we chose had been the frontrunner for a while.  With DS2, we chose the first name right after the 20wk ultrasound (confirming my belief that he was a boy) and finalized the spelling of the first name and chose the middle name maybe a week prior to the birth.  I guess I can't say for sure that there won't be any rethinking in the next 22-23 weeks but as it stands now we are done.

And, I am not superstitious about choosing a name so early, but I'm highly superstitious about telling anyone our names, even on the internet.  Just a quirk of mine. :)

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM

I am SOLD on Isla but my husband is stuck on Isis (which was going to be ds2 name if he was a girl). Soooooo there will be a fight somewhere down the road winky.gif

Wouldn't mind Isis for a middle name though.

As for boys name--i am NOT even entertaining the thought that this baby is a boy! It IS a girl lol, and I refuse to believe otherwise

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 AM

If its a boy I really want to name him Bodhi but my dh isn't too keen on it. Not sure about a girl name.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM

DH doesn't want to really discuss them until we know the gender. I think he thinks my names are too "weird". Boo.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM

In early pregnant with my first, my husband made a big sign welcoming the baby by name. He wrote her name and then "or nick" since we didn't know. They were names we had discussed lightly prepregnancy. I wasn't sold immediately, I liked toying around with other names, but I love love love the name. I often thought, how could we have another child, there is no other name that rocks like this one.

So this pregnancy, my unborn child is referred to by his possible male name by my husband and her possible female name by my daughter. Both names they just decided upon with light earlier discussion. I love that my daughter is just like her dad in that way.  And he has a penchant for nicknames. So our daughter not only refers to the unborn as "Grace," but also as "Grace-arella"

For the record, the kid ain't named 'til I say the kid is named. :) And I haven't really given it a whole lot of thought. I've been too busy sleeping and throwing up.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa7 View Post

I am SOLD on Isla but my husband is stuck on Isis (which was going to be ds2 name if he was a girl).

I love this name too!  Sadly it just doesn't sound right with my daughter's name :-(  My husband did admit that he liked it though, so there is hope.

Good luck!

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM

We picked our boy and girl name (first and middle) a few weeks ago. The girl name just came to me out of nowhere and both dh and I really love it. We decided dh would pick the boys name and I was a little worried but, he came up with a name we both love and it just feels right. I always feel our baby helps lead us to their name. I have an ultrasound on Thursday, I can't wait to find out if we are having a boy or a girl...I hope baby is not camera shy!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell_mel View Post

We have no idea! We prefer traditional/old fashioned names. It's easier to find unique traditional girls names than it is for boys though I think. Not that there is anything wrong with John, Richard, William, etc but we want something a bit more unique. We don't know what we are having and after finding out the first two times this time around will be a surprise so we are going to need to pick out both. Right after we first found out we were pregnant with #3 we both agreed on a boy and girl name but as much as I like them I'm not sold on them. When we decided on dd1 and dd2's name they clicked you know. Nothing has really clicked yet. When we do decide I would prefer to keep our picks to ourselves until the birth which we haven't done before but since the sex will be a surprise why not the names too!

nikie23- DH is a 3rd. We have no plans on continuing that should we have a boy! We mean no offense to the name it's just not going to happen. Luckily dh's family is very cool with that and jokes around with us about it.

I'm glad your DH's fam isn't giving you a hard time about not going for number 4.  :)  I'm not worried so much about his parents, but his paternal grandmother will probably be quite displeased when she finds out.  My MIL likes to tell the story about how, the first time she met HER MIL (long before they got married), DH's grandmother asked if MIL would be willing to "carry on the naming tradition."  Eek!

And I'm with you, I like old fashioned-but-unique names.  So far we've come up with unique names and old fashioned names, but not really both.  Our name list looks a little loopy.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa7 View Post

I am SOLD on Isla but my husband is stuck on Isis (which was going to be ds2 name if he was a girl). Soooooo there will be a fight somewhere down the road

What about Iris? I think both of your choices are super pretty!

Over here we are talking about names all the time. We agree on some, even orngtongue.gif I won't get my top pick and neither will he but as long as we both come to a comfortable place it's great IMO. He likes very grandiose names and I like them more simple. I think we're sold on the middle being some form of Luke after a friend of his. I'd like it to be longer than 4 letters as the first and one of the surnames are 4 letters. For whatever reason we keep picking names that have belonged to pets of my past. innocent.gif

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

I actually made a spreadsheet, because I'm neurotic like that! I have my list of names (in alphabetical order, naturally), their ranking according to Social Security for the last 3 years, the origin and the meaning. My son's name starts with a K and my daughter's with an H so I'm staying away from those initials, as well as J since my first and our last name starts with that. I want this child to have a unique initial and not have to share with anyone. Plus, it makes labeling and calendaring much easier when I can use the first letter of the first name instead of writing the whole name out. I'm also really trying to avoid the names that are in the top 100 in the past 3 years, or that are consistently rising in their ratings. I grew up being one of 3 or more Jennifers in every single one of my classes as a kid and it was hard feeling like I was like everyone else. I don't go for made up names or really odd, unpronounceable names either. I tend to like sweet, old-fashioned names, especially for girls. If Charlotte and Elizabeth weren't so dang popular all the time it would be a tie between those two.

At this point I've started looking back through my family tree to get inspiration from my ancestors. It doesn't help that every other name my kids veto or start making fun of. They are a good resource because at 11 and 10, they are just right in the middle of the age range where kids get made fun of for their names. I really love the name Camdyn, but the kids can't stand it. I told them that they can have input, but ultimately it is my decision because I am the person growing and birthing this baby!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I actually made a spreadsheet, because I'm neurotic like that! I have my list of names (in alphabetical order, naturally), their ranking according to Social Security for the last 3 years, the origin and the meaning. My son's name starts with a K and my daughter's with an H so I'm staying away from those initials, as well as J since my first and our last name starts with that. I want this child to have a unique initial and not have to share with anyone. Plus, it makes labeling and calendaring much easier when I can use the first letter of the first name instead of writing the whole name out. I'm also really trying to avoid the names that are in the top 100 in the past 3 years, or that are consistently rising in their ratings. I grew up being one of 3 or more Jennifers in every single one of my classes as a kid and it was hard feeling like I was like everyone else. I don't go for made up names or really odd, unpronounceable names either. I tend to like sweet, old-fashioned names, especially for girls. If Charlotte and Elizabeth weren't so dang popular all the time it would be a tie between those two.

Yay for spreadsheets!  Mine also has a column for nicknames.  biggrinbounce.gif  I like the idea of looking at rankings for the last few years to see how the popularity is changing, I didn't think of that! 

User Tag List