Owwwww, pelvic pain! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else ever deal with this?  This is my THIRD baby, and I never experienced anything like this with my first two.  It feels like my pelvis is BREAKING.  I can't walk up the stairs or *god forbid* chase the puppy down without extreme pelvic pain.  For the first little while, I thought maybe it was just the weight of the baby hanging out down there.  But now..I don't know.  It really freaking hurts.  And I'm only in my 17th week.  I can only imagine it'll get worse from here!

I mentioned it twice to my midwife.  The first time, she said it's totally normal to feel pressure there until the baby moves out of the pelvis.  The second time, she asked me to describe the pain in detail (I said "I've had broken bones before, and that's what it feels like.  Like my pelvis is broken.") and said it's probably due to the ligaments and everything beginning to loosen up, and maybe the pelvis is shifting a bit.  She suggested I support myself when I walk.  Yeah, because wandering around at work with my hands on my crotch is totally professional!  Haha. 

I've mentioned it to a few friends who have had children, and none of them have heard of this or experienced it.  Please tell me I'm not alone here.  WTF is wrong with my pelvis???

#2 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM

I am pregnant with #3 as well and have had major posterior pelvic pain this time (not sure that's what you are experiencing though) but not with the previous 2. The pain I have is for lack of a better way of describing it: terrible tight muscle pain on the sides and back of my rear- it almost feels like someone is squeezing my muscles and pushing them inward at the same time. Sometimes it takes my breath away it's so uncomfortable. It usually only happens when I am laying down. My midwife told me it's normal and really common for third pregnancies. She mentioned the hormone we release to loosen everything up and that third babies sit lower and put more pressure on things down there. She told me I need to use some kind of belly support during the day- I haven't looked anything up yet but I do remember seeing these big strappy things that are supposed to support pregnant bellies and to also use a pillow in between my knees. Neither of which are the miracle cures I was hoping for. ;) I don't think we have the same thing but I certainly sympathize with you!  

Melanie
#3 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

My pain is definitely in the front, on the pelvic bone, itself.  I was actually dreaming up an invention of sturdy underpants of some kind to help support me, haha.  It probably is the loosening hormone, as the midwife took out a fake pelvis bone to show me all the details, and there's this bit of ligament between the two pieces.  She thinks it's loosening, causing the two parts of my pelvis to shift around a bit.  It REALLY SUCKS. 

No more kids for me, if my bits are going to deteriorate even more after each child, haha.  I don't know how Mrs. Duggar does it!!

#4 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Sounds like maybe the beginnings of SPD?  Check into the belly support bands, those can help.  And pelvic floor exercises, like Kegels and such.  A good chiropractor should be able to help too, but it doesn't always "stick" for long.  Hope you feel better mama!

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#5 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM

It sounds exactly like SPD to me. I developed that during my 3rd pregnancy as well and it was excruciating. My chiropractor was able to adjust my hips which helped put my pelvis back where it was supposed to be. SPD is awful because there is essentially no position where you're not in agony, and changing positions is even worse. Forget about standing and walking!

I also learned that yoga exercises and stretches that help stretch your lower back, hips, and open your pelvis go a long way towards keeping things where they're supposed to be. I'm doing yoga regularly now with a great prenatal yoga DVD that I got from Target to try and keep SPD from coming back. I don't have the time in my life to be debilitated by SPD!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#6 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM

There are exercises in Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year that will help.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM

YES! I always have this to some degree, including this time, but it was the absolute worst when I was preggo with our second. By the time I was halfway along, I felt like the center of my pelvic bone was popping back and forth with each step. I second a good belly band! It made all the difference in the world for me. I hadn't heard of Kegels helping that before, but what can Kegels NOT help, at this point? It is good to work up to doing 300 Kegels a day. The more you do it, the less of a big deal it is and you will notice improvements in several areas of your life! Just call me the Kegel Kween. HA!

Loving wife to my hubby and mama to our 5 kiddos! homeschool.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Yup! I'd say it sounds like it's Pubic Symphysis Dysfunction/Diastis (or SPD also).  

I had it HORRIBLE after the twins. Started in the end of the pregnancy, but wasn't bad until after the delivery. Second baby was sunnyside up, and made it so much worse. If you don't deal with it properly, not only will it continue into postpartum, it will return with subsequent pregnancies even worse. When you're googling for info, pay special attention to the UK sites. They are much better at treating this there than here. Much more aware, they actually screen moms for it as it really is very common. 

I'd recommend seeing a chiropractor which helped me somewhat during pregnancy when it started, but the only thing that healed it was physical therapy. I waited until 4 months postpartum and by that time I was riding in a wheelchair when we went to Disneyworld with family because more than a few feet of walking was torture!!! My DO actually thought I had an undiagnosed broken pelvic rami from the sunnyside up delivery and I had a nuc med scan--nope just the biggest diastis he'd ever seen. So, I went to a PT who was very familiar with SPD and after the first appointment I started to feel relief--should have gone in much, much sooner!  I went 3x week for the first few weeks. She did lots of passive movements and chiro-like manipulations and gave me simple things I could do at home to help. All of this can be done during pregnancy, and believe me if I get even a tickle of the pain this time....I'm off to see her again!!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#9 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the info.  Do you think my midwife will know what this is?  She didn't suggest SPD as a possibility.  I was planning on seeing a chiropractor this time, anyway (skipped it during the last two pregnancies and regretted it), so hopefully that'll help.  I'd never heard of this, before!  Glad to see that it has a name, and I'm not totally crazy, hah.

#10 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

Wow thanks for all the info.  Do you think my midwife will know what this is?  She didn't suggest SPD as a possibility.  I was planning on seeing a chiropractor this time, anyway (skipped it during the last two pregnancies and regretted it), so hopefully that'll help.  I'd never heard of this, before!  Glad to see that it has a name, and I'm not totally crazy, hah.

Any midwife worth her salt will know all about SPD and have ideas on how to fix it and/or lessen the pain. I think the chiropractor will help a lot. Of course, I also think that every pregnant woman should see a chiro regularly during the entire pregnancy. And babies should be adjusted after birth as well.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#11 of 21 Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM

I separated my SP when I gave birth to my daughter. By almost 5 cm. (She came out with both hands over her head). When I lay on my side I could feel the bones rub together. Couldn't walk for a couple of months. Incredibly painful. Agree totally with above, any midwife should know about (and imho, should have already mentioned) SPD. 5 1/2 years ago, when I gave birth, there were maybe 4 articles about it when I googled it. Now there is all sorts of info. Pregnant now with my second, I have had twinges, but so far so good. Important, don't strain yourself with pushing, lifting, etc. Physical therapy was WONDERFUL for me. Can help you with how to move to strengthen the muscles that support your pelvis and not strain the ligaments in every day activities. That said, you have to find a therapist familiar with (or even better, specializing in) SPD. I had a PT come to my house who was very nice, but on the second visit, admitted he had no idea what he was doing.

Recently, I have read that chiropractors are great for this. The one I saw had no experience with it. I think, again, that it is important to find someone who knows about SPD.

Good luck!

#12 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't know if mine is the same thing but I am having pain too. The front doesn't hurt, but my lower back does, my hips a little, and then the very top of the inside of my thighs. It's almost impossible to lift my left leg to put pants on, and it also hurts when I try to change positions in bed or get up out of bed, and when I first start walking after sitting for a while. I've been reading online a lot tonight, and it sounds like SPD except it actually feels good to spread my legs, and most of the sites say that is supposed to hurt and to avoid it. I guess maybe sometimes it kind of hurts, but it's more like the oooh yeah stretch that out, that feels so good type of "hurt" you know? While when I start walking or try to get up or lift my leg it hurts a lot more.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#13 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It sounds like what I had with DD, which the MW called "pelvic girdle pain" - is that the same thing as SPD? Anyway, yes, it sucked. A lot. I "overdid" it at one point, about 6 months along, when we moved house - I wasn't even lifting heavy objects, but I guess I was more active than usual, and WOW, the pain for the next few weeks! At its worst I could barely hobble down the street, excruciatingly slowly; and rolling over in bed, or getting out of it, was horrible. Really an unpleasant condition! (And the worst part? For New Year's I threw a party, which involved cooking, which involved walking, which involved pain... so by the time the guests arrived I could barely hobble around, and then DH's tactless (single!) best friend made some joke about how I was "waddling" around. A) I hate that term anyway - I think it's vulgar and degrading, B) I wasn't "waddling" in the stereotypical pregnant way, I was hobbling from the pain of my pelvis shifting around every time I moved, and C) I'd been COOKING HIM FOOD all day! Ahem. That was actually one of my most horrible pregnancy moments, and I believe I quietly disappeared to the bedroom for a while and cried, which is so not like me... But I digress!)

My MW said it was likely to get worse in each subsequent pregnancy, but I've since heard a few anecdotes which makes me hope it's not a hard-and-fast rule. I'm 18 weeks now and have started to feel twinges of it, mostly if I'm rolling over in bed. I really hope it doesn't get worse. :( I was given these ugly support belts to wear last time... I don't know if they really helped. Honestly, if it gets as bad this time I'm considering asking for a wheelchair - it might help with my tendency to faint, as well.

Ain't pregnancy fun? :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Pelvic girdle pain (PGP) and SPD aren't the same thing. SPD pain originates, and is centered, at the point of the pelvis where the bones meet in the front. Right under the mons pubis is where the separation is and that can get out of whack and the bones will essentially rub against each other. It is excruciating.

PGP is a different kind of pain and can be excruciating as well. PGP comes from the entire pelvis being out of alignment and the ligaments and muscles being pulled and stretched in ways that they're not supposed to or not used to. PGP can lead to SPD because the whole pelvis is out of line, but they really are two different things.

Yoga and other stretches can help with PGP by strengthening the muscles of the lower back, hips, pelvis, and legs so that the structure of the pelvis stays in place better. Be careful with sudden movements of the hips or legs (like spreading your thighs apart too fast, no splits mamas!) that can cause injury.

Jenni

#15 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM

man...I've been lurking for months (poster from 07') but just couldn't let this go

pelvic girdle pain and symphysis pubis diastasis are for all intents and purposes identical in this context aside from where they are felt...treatment for both is pretty much the same

first...the pelvis has to be in functional alignment first...an osteopath that deals with manipulations can do it..as can a PT that knows what theyre doing and some chiropractors can get it straightened out

I however recommend something called a sacro wedgey because its yours, you keep it at home and you can use it whenever the heck you feel like AND it will teach you some interesting things about balnce in body if you don't already know...google it

next is some sort of pelvic support belt...the pregnancy ones are all very nice and I have a prenatal cradle v2 supporter myself (the crotch part makes you at least feel a little more snug ) but for serious day to day activity..get yourself a sacroillialic belt...I recommend serola..its easy to use/position correctly and launder...I use my serola belt for weight lifting..

the belt will hurt like heck unless your pelvis is in alignment..my symphysis pubis actually moves a lot and is completely sheared..has been for about...14 years (when my oldest was born sunny side up and the lovely nurses puts my knees about around my ears for three hours)

next...ice..ice is invaluable...most of the pain you feel is from inflammation..ice it right over the mons

lastly..pilates...kegels are great but theyre not large enuff muscles to really help hold bones together..ligaments job anyway...but see another posters post about relaxin. and hip abductors...figure out how to work them..I use machines at the gym

please do not let anyone tell you its "normal" or to.."wait it out" or that there is no real treatment..because there is...I promise all of the above will help especially if used together

also if your OB or midwife...or even pharamcist is brave...they'll tell you you can ibuprofen in the second tri....not a ton of it...but a little goes a long way with the ice to get everything calmed down

check with your caregiver first

#16 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 AM

Yup, SPD. I can't put on pants or take off my shoes anymore. The pain is so bad.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#17 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM

yeah...I really feel bad that one poster mentioned...imagining making something to keep it squeezed together when that something actually already exists and really ins't that expensive for such intense pain, that btw has been linked to malpositioned babies

so its not just you youre taking care of here

normally I just stay quiet on the boards because a lot of my views aren't in sync here....I'm a medic so I can be very "traditional"

but in this case I know the medical community sort of ignores it because they don't know how to treat it..it also kills me as a CYA they ban the use of ibuprofen throughout pregnancy when thats not really the case...

I really cant emphasize the sacro wedgey, pilates, and an S/I belt enough

you have to lay on your back to use the sacro wedgey but don't worry, you'll vomit/have serious vertigo long before you cause fetal problems from laying on your back

one caveat about the belt tho...check your bp with one on...some people are susceptible to a raise in bp with it on

#18 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM

In Tucson, AZ, there is  a most amazing physical therapist. She taught me how to move and gave me muscle strengthening exercises (the ones to use instead of relying on those relaxed ligaments). The S/I belt was a life saver, the sacro wedgey actually hurt me more.

Tighten your stomach muscles (like you are trying to zip too tight pants), suck it in, when you walk (don't succumb as much to the lazy waddle) and get in and out of bed, etc.

#19 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.  Just an update (as I only have 3 weeks left to go!)  It was diagnosed as PSD by my chiropractor.  I have seen her twice a week, and then weekly for the past few months.  Oh my goodness what a difference!  The few times I had to skip a week due to conflicting schedules I would disintigrate back into complete pain again as everything shifted around.  And I had a fall once, that threw everything out of wack again.  But everything seems to be in alignment now and she taught me a few exercises to do at home to help strengthen the area.  I've also been wearing a belt to support the weight of the baby, and keep her off my pelvis as much as possible.

It's crazy that I had never heard of this before.  Now that I've had it, quite a few moms that I know have told me they went through it as well.  What a pain!

No more babies for me. ;)

#20 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 AM
fjc

Did you chiro think that if you hadn't go for treatment that PSD would've affected your delivery at all??

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#21 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM

DDCC

I'm glad you're experiencing some relief.  I've had this in the past (only with my girls really) and it is horrific.  My doctors also said "it's normal" and to "wait it out" or "here, take a vicodin."  It is NOT normal, waiting it out is pointless, and vicodin is like popping jolly ranchers for this type of pain.

The only thing that ever helped me was using a maternity belt.  Without it, I couldn't walk.  I had to do a funky sideways shuffle to get from where I slept (the living room recliner!) to the bathroom and back.  I should have tried a chiro, but I wasn't as naturally minded back then as I am now.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page