Cloth Diapering Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you that CD, I have questions! I used disposables with my kids, but the more I think about it the more it seems like (a) a huge waste of money and (b) rather environmentally irresponsible. However, never having done anything with cloth diapers EVER in my life, I am totally clueless about how it all works!

My primary concern is what to do when you're away from home. Do you carry a bag around to put the dirty diapers in? Do you rinse them first? My other kids are 11 and 10 years old and they're super active in sports so during football/cheerleading season and baseball/softball season we're not home a whole lot.

What about daycare? I'm a full-time nursing student so the bean will be in some form of childcare for at least 4 days a week. How do childcare providers deal with cloth vs disposable?

I would so appreciate any help you can give!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 AM

I have a dirty bag for the cloth when out. I never rinse diapers, but if there is a solid I will dump that in the toilet. I won't do that until we get home. No idea about daycare.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#3 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

For those of you that CD, I have questions! I used disposables with my kids, but the more I think about it the more it seems like (a) a huge waste of money and (b) rather environmentally irresponsible. However, never having done anything with cloth diapers EVER in my life, I am totally clueless about how it all works!

My primary concern is what to do when you're away from home. Do you carry a bag around to put the dirty diapers in? Do you rinse them first? My other kids are 11 and 10 years old and they're super active in sports so during football/cheerleading season and baseball/softball season we're not home a whole lot.

What about daycare? I'm a full-time nursing student so the bean will be in some form of childcare for at least 4 days a week. How do childcare providers deal with cloth vs disposable?

I would so appreciate any help you can give!

First of all it doesn't have to be all or nothing! You can cloth diaper when babe is with you and have disposables for daycare/babysitters. I keep a small bag with me (washable wetbag type bag...or if I forgot one a plastic grocery bag lol) and just toss dirties in the pail when I get home. The bag gets washed with the dirties when it gets yucked up :P

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#4 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I have a dirty bag for the cloth when out. I never rinse diapers, but if there is a solid I will dump that in the toilet. I won't do that until we get home. No idea about daycare.

Thank you! Have you ever used disposables? If so, do you think that cloth are more or less work than disposables? Or maybe about the same?

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

For me they were no more work than disposables. The disposables always smell up my garbage. And if one should get overloaded in the night? Those nasty little gel beads get EVERYWHERE. It takes me a good 30-45 minutes to clean it all up.

With my cloth...I can wash them sooner if they start getting a little smelly (which doesn't happen often.) And if one gets overloaded in the night? I just wash the sheets too. No gel beads to deal with. And a quick wash down of the mattress and some new sheets and everything is good to go.   

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#6 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM

I used disposables with my first and cloth with my second.  I LOVE cloth and so does dh.  We absolutely hated disposables after we went to cloth.  When we went out of town, we would use disposables and I thought they smelled so absolutely terrible.  I never had smell issues with my cloth.  You can do disposables when you are out at those events with your older kids, but honestly, I think it might be more of a pain to do so.  Like a pp said, I just threw the dirty/wet ones in a bag and dealt with it at home.  It was never a big deal and poop isn't either.  When they are tiny and if you breastfeed, the poop just washes out.  When it gets to be more, you just put it in the toilet.  I never rinsed prior to washing.  If it stains at all, just put it out in the sun for a few hours.  The only time I ever had a problem was when I forgot to put a clean dipe in the car before I left...trust me, that only happened a few times!  :)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#7 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Quote:

Thank you! Have you ever used disposables? If so, do you think that cloth are more or less work than disposables? Or maybe about the same?

I have used disposables. I too find them a pain, especially disposing of them, smelling in the trash. I find cloth easier and a lot less expensive. On our long trips last summer we used disposables. We all hated them and how much the diapers smelled.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#8 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I started using cloth when my second was 4mo and I love it!  To answer your main questions, you can use disposables when you go out if you want, or you can bring a wetbag or plastic grocery bag to put dirties in until you get home.  As for daycare, I have successfully used cloth with daycare and I know a lot of other mamas have too.  Basically what I did was brought a cloth diaper with me and a wetbag to show them how it worked and that it was  not any more work for them to use cloth.  I was with a center for a short time and then interviewed another center and a couple of in-home providers.  No one turned me down, everyone seemed open to it.  We ended up using one of the in-home providers and she used the cloth with no issues (I did bring disposables as backup for if he got a rash and needed diaper cream, as you usually can't use things like Desitin with cloth).  I mainly used pocket diapers and that was what I took to day care.  You will see when you start looking into it that there are several different types of cloth diapers.  I think that day cares would be more likely to use pockets and all-in-ones than other types because they are most similar to using disposables, in the sense that the diaper is pre-assembled and they just fasten the snaps or velcro.  Cloth is definitely somewhat more work than disposables, but mainly just in the sense that it will be an additional few loads of laundry each week, depending on how often  you wash.  I have found cloth to hold in poop much better than disposables, so it definitely cuts down on blowouts and stained clothes, which somewhat compensates for it being a bit more work.  In terms of money, I will say that it is VERY easy to spend as much or more on cloth as you would on disposables, so be careful there.  Particularly if you end up trying a bunch of different things and then reselling them and getting more new things, like I did for the first 4 or 5 months of using cloth.  I was not doing it to save money, but if I had been I would have put in more research up front and probably gone with one type/brand of diaper.  

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#9 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I will be a FT mommy so I have little experience with either.  But I have been researching CD's partly due to the waste and the ridiculous cost of disposables.

There are a couple brands that make hybrids - Grovia, gDiapers, and I think BestBottoms.  So you can use the cloth when at home and they have a disposable pad insert to use when outside the home. 

Anybody have any experience or opinions with the hybrids?

Jenni ~ Don't mean to hijack your thread...just thought it would be more beneficial to extend the discussion since I am basically in the same boat as you.

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#10 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfAddict View Post

I will be a FT mommy so I have little experience with either.  But I have been researching CD's partly due to the waste and the ridiculous cost of disposables.

There are a couple brands that make hybrids - Grovia, gDiapers, and I think BestBottoms.  So you can use the cloth when at home and they have a disposable pad insert to use when outside the home. 

Anybody have any experience or opinions with the hybrids?

Jenni ~ Don't mean to hijack your thread...just thought it would be more beneficial to extend the discussion since I am basically in the same boat as you.

No worries at all! I hadn't heard of the hybrids and I'd love more information on them as well.

You are all such an amazing resource! Thank you so much! My mom used cloth diapers on my sister and I when we were babies and she's fully in favor of cloth over disposables. I have kids so I do at least one load of laundry a day, if not more, so I don't think that washing the diapers would really add that much work to my life.

A friend of mine said that she bought about 15 all in ones that were a one size fits all and that was all she needed.

Yes, the disposables DO smell terrible. I absolutely hate the way a disposable smells in the trash after even an hour or so, forget about letting a couple of them sit in the house for a day or more in a trash can. It stinks up the whole room! I didn't think about the smell issue with cloth vs disposable, but it is wonderful to hear that the cloth don't smell like the disposables do.

Jenni

#11 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM

An easy peasy way to start is w/a dozen or two prefolds and a few velcro covers. That is my preferred method anyway. I am not really into the more expensive, although cute, fitteds and such.

#12 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

my 1st daycare refused to entertain the notion of cloth so we used disposables for daycare and cloth at home. my current daycare does cloth, yay!

i have never used the hybrids myself by just inherited some gdiapers from a friend. that is a decent option for travelling/cutting down on waste, and she told me she actually used cloth inserts rather than the disposable kind, but it cut down on the amount of cloth waste that accumulated when she took her son camping.  i will try that myself in the future - thus far we have used disposables while travelling because the dirty diaper laundry accumulation seemed ridiculous while travelling.

#13 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Thank you for starting this thread!  I've spent quite a bit of time looking into different types of CDs - fitted, prefold, all-in-ones... it makes my head spin.  A girlfriend of mine just had a baby and she joined a diaper service that sounds pretty awesome; I think I'll be doing something similar when the nugget comes, along with some diaper covers.  I've also seen flush-able inserts that look like they would be a good idea for day trips and such.

I'm confused about the smell, though - do cloth diapers not smell when they're waiting to be washed?  I feel like I'm missing something fundamental.  Disposables are pretty awful, though.  My sister has a 1 year old and her whole house reeks of dirty diapers.  Whenever I'm over there I think, whew, can we open a window?

#14 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

Thank you for starting this thread!  I've spent quite a bit of time looking into different types of CDs - fitted, prefold, all-in-ones... it makes my head spin.  A girlfriend of mine just had a baby and she joined a diaper service that sounds pretty awesome; I think I'll be doing something similar when the nugget comes, along with some diaper covers.  I've also seen flush-able inserts that look like they would be a good idea for day trips and such.

I'm confused about the smell, though - do cloth diapers not smell when they're waiting to be washed?  I feel like I'm missing something fundamental.  Disposables are pretty awful, though.  My sister has a 1 year old and her whole house reeks of dirty diapers.  Whenever I'm over there I think, whew, can we open a window?

My diaper pail closes and smell is contained to the pail, the pail is kept in the laundry room. It only smells when we open it and put a dirty diaper in. 

#15 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM

I seeeee.  Thank you.  So I guess I should add "diaper pail with lid" to the baby list.  :)  Maybe I should also suggest a lidded trash can for my sis.

#16 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My diaper pail closes and smell is contained to the pail, the pail is kept in the laundry room. It only smells when we open it and put a dirty diaper in. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

I seeeee.  Thank you.  So I guess I should add "diaper pail with lid" to the baby list.  :)  Maybe I should also suggest a lidded trash can for my sis.

Do you have just a regular diaper pail, like you would use for disposables? This was on my list already because I knew that I would need something to contain the odor. The one I want is the baby Trend Diaper Champ because it uses any kind of bags, including the plastic grocery sacks, instead of using only the special inserts like the Diaper Genie. We had it in the restroom of the baby store I used to work in and it NEVER smelled... until you opened it that is.

Jenni

#17 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM

I just bought a regular trash can with lid at Target.  It worked great and we never had a problem.  I think twice I took it outside to sit in the sun to kill germs, but never had a problem with smell.  I washed every other day.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#18 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

I just bought a regular trash can with lid at Target.  It worked great and we never had a problem.  I think twice I took it outside to sit in the sun to kill germs, but never had a problem with smell.  I washed every other day.

LOL. Our trash can does not have a lid, pretty useless in our house. It gets mucky, kids break it, etc. So yeah disposables would stink in an unlidded trash can.

#19 of 59 Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend the disposable diaper pails that they have on the market for cloth. They are super expensive and most use those expensive bags. Any good sturdy trash can with a lid (get a little fancy with the ones with the foot pedal that opens the lids!) will do the job and not cost you a ton. Plus you can get a washable/reusable liner that just gets tossed in with the dipes :)

I started cloth when my first was about 10 months old. I started with about a dozen flat diapers a few snappies and a few used bummis whisper wraps. I handwashed everything because we didnt have a washing machine in our apartment. Even with that extra work, I loved them :) I've had all manner of diapers...flat, prefold, fitteds, pockets, and all in ones. I've used G-diapers a few times (with cloth.) Personally, I've found the more simple I keep things, the better it works (and the less money it costs me!) I like a mix of Flats and Prefolds and my favorite covers are the Dappy Pull on covers. My second favorite cover is the Bummis Whisper Wraps with the velcro. Cheap and simple :)

#20 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 AM

I've never not used cloth. :)

We carry a "wet bag" with us for outings, and put soiled diapers in there. Always dump solids in the toilet - always. That includes with disposables. You're not allowed to throw solid waste in the trash; it says right there on the disposable packages. :)

Ask your daycare about the diapers. They shouldn't have a problem, but if for some reason they do you can use safer disposables like Tushies or Seventh Generation.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#21 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I wouldn't recommend the disposable diaper pails that they have on the market for cloth. They are super expensive and most use those expensive bags. Any good sturdy trash can with a lid (get a little fancy with the ones with the foot pedal that opens the lids!) will do the job and not cost you a ton. Plus you can get a washable/reusable liner that just gets tossed in with the dipes :)

Awesome tip, thank you! 

#22 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

An easy peasy way to start is w/a dozen or two prefolds and a few velcro covers. That is my preferred method anyway. I am not really into the more expensive, although cute, fitteds and such.

I have to agree with you Annabelle.  We never liked the pockets as much as a prefold/snappie with a wool soaker combo. We travel ALOT!  Monthly to MA (7 hours each way) and we never used disposables.  We did use some of our "fancier" diapers Green Mountian Fitteds (they snap but need a cover) because it is easier for those quick standing changes in dirty bathrooms YUCK!  As for diaper cream we used fleece inserts that we cut from reminant fleece and lined our diapers.  If they got gross after a while we would toss them.  It saved our diapers.  We liked Burt Bee's diaper cream which doesn't seem to stain as much. 

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#23 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 AM

Haven't had a chance to read all the responses yet, but wanted to chime in with my experiences with this!

We used sposies on our first two. I always hated spending all that money on dipes just to throw them away and buy another pack next week! Plus, I read that it can take something like 500 years for one disposable dipe to break down in a landfill. Crazy much? I do try to be friendly to the Earth God gave us. When our second came within PT realm, I opted to buy waterproof cloth pullups instead of sposie ones. It was then that I got in the habit of washing them every other day and I saw that as truly no big deal. When our 3rd baby was on the way, I bought about $300 of those one size BumGenius pocket diapers and absolutely loved them. They saw both our 3rd and 4th babies all through their dipey days with the best of times. At this point, the velcro is wearing out and so is the leg elastic, but I simply contacted Cotton Babies (where they were purchased from) and asked what my options were. A rep told me that they sell repair kits, comes with instructions and is pretty easy to do, but that she would send me however many kits I needed for absolutely free! Now that is right up my alley! Not only do I recommend CD, but I recommend the new BGs 4.0 from Cotton Babies, too!

BTW, going out in public has never been an issue for us. I just grab a wetbag, spray it with eucalyptis oil (sp?), pack it in the diaper bag with enough CDs to get us through our outing and some cloth wipes, and go. Diaper changes are just the same as sposies, only you keep your dipes and wipes in the wetbag and get to reuse them. Easy!!

Loving wife to my hubby and mama to our 5 kiddos! homeschool.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpg

#24 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to thank you all again for the wonderful information! I went from thinking that CD would be a huge hassle to thinking that it's the only way that makes sense! Being that I'm on a limited budget, I really don't have $100+ a month to spend on diapers and wipes. I can do a big initial investment that will carry me through though. Thank you thank you thank you!

Jenni

#25 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM

we used cloth since day one out of the hospital (i didn't pack enough to use in the hospital after our planned homebirth became a hospital c/s). i like the pre-folds with fleece cover. our chubby leg baby didn't fit well in the fitted diapers we borrowed (ds became chapped). we used wool covers when he was little and then started ecing at 3 months and i liked the ease of unsnapping a cover and tearing off a pre-fold to get him on the potty. as far as cream we didn't use one for the longest time (and still don't). we put a little lotion on his chapped skin. our diapers have never stained and the water we wash them in is hot so we haven't needed to re-strip them. i wash diapers every 3-5 days (depending how often i catch). early on it was every other day. but the baby was going a lot more. we use cloth while traveling as we stay with family and can use their washer. we have never had a problem with using cloth. the bag we use for dirty diapers is a reused plastic bag that held new baby clothes that we received at the baby shower. we always rinsed out/shook out poo diapers from a fleece liner which keeps the diaper in good shape. good luck to you!  

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#26 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Jenni I am also trying to research CD and I am totally new to them. I used disposable with dd1 and do not want to use them with dd2. I am going to a CD workshop at a local store this Saturday. I think it will be helpful for me to learn about them in person, they are also going to go over cleaning and storage stuff too. Maybe you could find something like that in your area.

I also agree with pp that it doesn't have to be one or the other. I plan to use biodegrable disposible when we are on trips and stuff like that. I will not be working but with dd1 I did and I remember her childcare caring what diapers I sent with her, I was wondering how your childcare feels about you using CD with them. You may want to discuss it with them hopefully they will be supportive.

I found the CD board on MCD really helpful too in case you haven't checked it out. Those ladies know their CD love.gif

#27 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

oops something was wrong and this got triple posted.

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#28 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

oops. Something was odd and this got triple-posted!

#29 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM

We used cloth--mostly prefolds and velcro covers (we love the Thirsties brand because of the gussets).  Along the way I picked up a few all-in-ones and hybrids to make diaper changes in public faster and to use at the Mothers Day Out program our son is in.  I might get mud thrown at me for saying thispeace.gif, but cloth diapering seems like a bit more work.  Putting on a prefold and a cover is like putting on two disposable diapers.  Pocket diapers are easy to put on, but you have to stuff them ahead of time.  Same for the hybrid/AI2 type which require some sort of assembling. All-in-ones are super easy all around, but also usually super expensive and can take forever to dry. Cloth takes up a bunch of room in a diaper bag, so those cute purse sized options might not be an option if you use cloth. You may have to spend months figuring out a wash routine that works for you and your water-when we moved to a house with hard well-water it took 4 months and an in house water softener to fix all our new problems.  But...I still far prefer cloth!

I love being the only person at Walmart with a baby/toddler who DOESN'T have a big package of diapers in the cart.  I love the cute and colorful cloth diaper options.  I love the cloth diapered bubble butt look!  I love never having to fear that I will run out of diapers--in a pinch I could use dish towels, though its never come to that.  I love not having to buy diapers every week (we initially went with cloth because I had a good paying job while pregnant, but wasn't sure what our financial state would be after baby came).  Now that baby #2 is on the way, I loved digging through my diaper stash and realizing I was totally set and don't need to purchase anything else.  I love how well our diapers contained those newborn poop blowouts.  I didn't even know what a poop blowout was until we went on a weekend trip and used disposables.  Yikes!  Poop got EVERYWHERE.  The next time we traveled we just took our cloth and some bags to keep the dirties in.

We used cloth wipes at home, but disposable wipes while we were out and about.  If you choose disposable wipes you can just throw them in your cute wet bag and wash/dry them with the diapers.  Then you can pick out the nice clean and dry disposable wipes and throw them away instead of trying to separate them from the cloth diapers when both are dirty or wet.

While I'm on this long rant I'll throw in my two cents about hybrids.  We have about 6 of the Grovia hybrid and I really like them, though I use them more as an all-in-one.  (Meaning I don't bother snapping in a new liner and reusing the cover, I just get a totally new one each time).  We have a box of the disposable liners and after trying it out once, to me the hype about a disposable liner and a reusable cover doesn't make sense.  It seems like the worst of both worlds:  The disposable insert footprint seems only neglibibly less then a full on disposable diaper.  But you still have to deal with a cloth cover.  So you have to separate the disposable liner from the cloth cover.  Throw the disposable liner away . Get out a new liner and place it in the cloth cover (and if the cloth cover got dirty or wet the cloth cover has to be separated and put in a wetbag).  You will still be coming home with a bag full of wet or dirty covers which you have to keep up with and you are still throwing a disposable liner into a landfill.  Maybe it works for some people, but I'd rather use all cloth while I'm out.  We have also used disposables when it made more sense to do so (on a long trip where we didn't want to have to do laundry).  Anyone actually like the disposable part of the hybrid dipes?

#30 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I've been Googling CD stuff like crazy the past couple of days, and I just came across the Bummis organic cloth diapering kit. They have an infant size (7-15 lbs) and a baby size (15-30 lbs). The infant kit has 24 infant size Organic Cotton Prefold diapers (4 x 8 x 4 layers thick), 4 Super Whisper Wraps – small, 2 Super Brites – small, 3 rolls Bio-Soft liners – small, 5 reusable Fleece Liners,  Fabulous Wet Bag – large (available exclusively in the Kit!), and a User Guide. It's $125 to $170 for the kit (depending on the online store) and it seems like a pretty good value to me. I like the idea of the all-in-ones, and I was actually playing around with the Bum Genius 4.0 at a store a little while ago, but I like the idea that I can wash the prefold part separately from the wrap. 24 prefolds seems like a lot to me too. I know I'd probably be washing half of them every day for the first few months, but I'll be out of school this summer so it's not really that big of a deal to me.

I think I'm going to have to do what mad4mady is doing and try to find a CD workshop in my area so I can experiment with the various types of diapers and see how they all work.

Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page