Strongly Considering a UC in June '11 Tribe...support only please! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post

Well, DH and I talked. It's official...... WE'RE UCing! Our midwife will be doing some educational one-on-one classes with us to dispell any fears (mainly by DH) and go over what to look for normal vs. abnormal. I'm a student midwife, so I know a good amount but I still need to learn more. She'll be on-call for us by phone throughout the pregnancy, delivery, and after birth. She'll come over post partum to check on me and baby, cook a meal, and do any cleaning. I'm soooo excited!



Great news!


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Grace that's awesome!!

 

 

Well, I "broke up" with my midwife today, so we are officially UC'ing too! I wrote her an email, but I told her I would be calling to speak in person as well. I feel very much at peace with our decision :)


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
 
tracymom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Grace that's awesome!!

 

 

Well, I "broke up" with my midwife today, so we are officially UC'ing too! I wrote her an email, but I told her I would be calling to speak in person as well. I feel very much at peace with our decision :)


Oh, what a relief! I know you were struggling with how to do this. Way to go, mama!! joy.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

 

 
 
 
  

tracymom1 is offline  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks so much Tracy! I know, I was being so dumb about it lol


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know, we're super excited. I'm happy for you too. It always helps to verbalize your issues/fears with others to give you both sides to consider. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Grace that's awesome!!

 

 

Well, I "broke up" with my midwife today, so we are officially UC'ing too! I wrote her an email, but I told her I would be calling to speak in person as well. I feel very much at peace with our decision :)




Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
 
OrangeMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been stocking up on supplies, most of which I'm sure I won't need, but for just in case. I'll post a list tomorrow! The fish scale arrived yesterday and we tried it out, it's awesome!


Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

OrangeMoon is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post

I've been stocking up on supplies, most of which I'm sure I won't need, but for just in case. I'll post a list tomorrow! The fish scale arrived yesterday and we tried it out, it's awesome!

 

Oh yay!  I'd love a supply list. I am somewhat on the fence about supplies. On one hand, I want everything I'll need and some comfort items but on the other hand I'm really just considering some scissors/shoelace (for cord), some chux/towels, and a birthing pool and just going with it. I suppose I need some sort of scale because to get the BC you've got to have the weight recorded. One thing I do want to have on hand are things like shepherd's purse and rescue remedy and I'm trying to find a reputable way to get Cytotec from an online pharm -- (in case of PPH it's been known to work almost as well as Pit -- 90% to Pit's 96% in studies).

 



 


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PLEASE OH PLEASE DO NOT USE CYTOTEC, especially at home and ESPECIALLY UC. It's extremely dangerous, worse than pitocin and if you decided you wanted to use cytotec then you definitely need to be monitored. I'm not one to preach info. to people unless they ask, but this REALLY scared me and I just had to speak up. I'm a student midwife and I study all of these things, but you can study just as well. Anyone can learn anything they want, you just have to search in the right places. I was just on a conference call the other day with a midwife whose attended over 2300 births and NEVER had to transfer for a hemorrhage and has NEVER used pitocin or cytotec. Most of how to help a hem. is to prevent it and that's by no interventions and pushing once you really feel the expulsion of baby. If you're afraid of hem. then try to dispell those fears now and I can give you information or send you to a good place that has great info. on what to use for hem. that is natural. Again, don't take this the wrong way and you can do whatever you feel is best.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post

I've been stocking up on supplies, most of which I'm sure I won't need, but for just in case. I'll post a list tomorrow! The fish scale arrived yesterday and we tried it out, it's awesome!

 

Oh yay!  I'd love a supply list. I am somewhat on the fence about supplies. On one hand, I want everything I'll need and some comfort items but on the other hand I'm really just considering some scissors/shoelace (for cord), some chux/towels, and a birthing pool and just going with it. I suppose I need some sort of scale because to get the BC you've got to have the weight recorded. One thing I do want to have on hand are things like shepherd's purse and rescue remedy and I'm trying to find a reputable way to get Cytotec from an online pharm -- (in case of PPH it's been known to work almost as well as Pit -- 90% to Pit's 96% in studies).

 



 




Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
 
junebug2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So happy for you guys!

 

Dh and I have been considering uc'ing, in my visions of the birth it is just the two of us. And homebirth is so expensive, right now we don't have insurance so we are paying 100% out of pocket. My only fear is that it is our first. In my heart I was UC! UC! UC! but then at work I helped some first time moms push out their babies and I remembered how much harder it is the first time compared to second and later babies. Prenatal care does seem kind of funny to me, with my background I am seeing the midwives but they aren't telling me anything I don't know. I feel like, I

'm paying you 150 dollars right now for you to take my blood pressure and listen to the heartbeat when I can see my belly jump as she kicks?

 

 

We are also moving in one or two weeks to another state so that makes it confusing too :) Oh well things will become more clear I'm sure as time gets closer.

 

 

About meds, I definitely hear Grace's point ... I think getting herbal preparations in order would be much better than looking to meds. Susun weeds herbal for the childbearing year has some great recipes that you can start using and taking in preparation, even during this part of the pregnancy. Also, acupuncture and energy work is really helpful as well. Unless you are prone to hemorrhage or have risk factors, I think that you should remember your mind-body connection. If you feel safest UC'ing then part of that is trusting your body to know what to do. Support it with love, affirmations, exercise and herbs and trust your intuition :)

 

 

 


treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

junebug2011 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Grace, I so appreciate the concern, I do :) and yes, you're right Cytotec can be EXTREMELY dangerous if used while baby is still inside mama. It can cause uterine rupture and cause death to the baby and a bleed-out for mama (via UR). I have done extensive research on it, and I would never use it while baby is inside -- only AFTER birthing the baby and in an emergency situation of PPH (which I don't believe will be the case) if natural and herbal remedies didn't work (which I plan on having available). The dangers of Cytotec are when it has been used to induce labor (in the same manner as Pit) and again, I would never do that and am well aware of the dangers of it while baby is still inside mama. Again, I appreciate your concern but the freak out was unnecessary imo and kind of communicated that I was going to do something deadly or dangerous (I'm not).

 

Studies by WHO and other agencies show it is extremely effective in stopping PPH -- I would be comfortable using it, again, only AFTER baby is out and only in a situation of acute pph until emergency medical care can be accessed. I don't anticipate pph at all, but would feel comfortable having something along with natural measures, should it be necessary. Many a home birth midwife carries it in places/states where they are unable to carry Pit. From Ronnie Falcao midwives' archives: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/thirdstg.html (scroll down or do ctrl + F and search 'cytotec') lots of studies and personal stories from midwives)

 

 

Quote:
  Postpartum use of Cytotec/misoprostol is very different from prenatal or intrapartum use, i.e. before the baby is born.  During labor, before the baby is born, Cytotec can cause contractions that are too strong for the baby . . . they can squeeze the placenta so tight for so long that there's not enough oxygen getting through to the baby; this can cause severe fetal distress.  Or, if the baby is not fitting into the pelvis (obstructed labor), the very strong contractions caused by Cytotec can actually cause a tear in the birthing woman's uterine muscle, which is called a uterine rupture.

After the baby is born, contractions caused by Cytotec given to the mother no longer affect the baby.  After the baby is born, the risk of uterine rupture also goes away because once the baby is outside the mother's body, there is no possibility of an obstructed labor. 

 

 

 

(It's the same drug as misoprostol).

 

http://www.psi.org/our-work/healthy-lives/interventions/misoprostol-reduce-postpartum-hemorrhage

 

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/17841

 

http://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/dqi/misoprostolReport.pdf 

 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15919088?dopt=Abstract

 

(among others)

 

Anyway, I just didn't think I'd have to defend a well-researched decision (that I would use only in an acute emergency situation) on this thread of all places, but I am trying to view your post as it was intended -- no hard feelings.


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were considering having Cytotec for the use of the birthing process. I'm so glad you've done your research, but most UC moms really do anyhow! There really are no dangers to using cytotec for postpartum only but the possible side effects (vomiting, diarrhea, chills/shakes-some moms get this after birth anyhow but the cytotec can increase it, and possible fever). It is worth using if it's a truly big bleed, but that can also be hard to detect by yourself. There are other things to try first like you or hubby putting a hand on top of the fundus (top of uterus) to stimulate contractions (not agressively rubbing, just a light movement), placing a piece of the placenta in your cheek to suck on (size of thumb nail)(this way it absorbs faster and easier)- this is almost instant and I have seen it work, and nursing. 

 

You will know your body better than your hubby when he sees lots of blood, so just go with your instincts. If you feel like you're dizzy, vomiting, pale, ect. then start doing a few things because hubby's can overreact to what may seem like a lot of blood to him. Again, I'm sorry and I wasn't trying to criticize you in any way plus I misunderstood your intentions. You know your body best and you'll know what to do during that time. thumb.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Grace, I so appreciate the concern, I do :) and yes, you're right Cytotec can be EXTREMELY dangerous if used while baby is still inside mama. It can cause uterine rupture and cause death to the baby and a bleed-out for mama (via UR). I have done extensive research on it, and I would never use it while baby is inside -- only AFTER birthing the baby and in an emergency situation of PPH (which I don't believe will be the case) if natural and herbal remedies didn't work (which I plan on having available). The dangers of Cytotec are when it has been used to induce labor (in the same manner as Pit) and again, I would never do that and am well aware of the dangers of it while baby is still inside mama. Again, I appreciate your concern but the freak out was unnecessary imo and kind of communicated that I was going to do something deadly or dangerous (I'm not).

 

Studies by WHO and other agencies show it is extremely effective in stopping PPH -- I would be comfortable using it, again, only AFTER baby is out and only in a situation of acute pph until emergency medical care can be accessed. I don't anticipate pph at all, but would feel comfortable having something along with natural measures, should it be necessary. Many a home birth midwife carries it in places/states where they are unable to carry Pit. From Ronnie Falcao midwives' archives: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/thirdstg.html (scroll down or do ctrl + F and search 'cytotec') lots of studies and personal stories from midwives)

 

 

Quote:
  Postpartum use of Cytotec/misoprostol is very different from prenatal or intrapartum use, i.e. before the baby is born.  During labor, before the baby is born, Cytotec can cause contractions that are too strong for the baby . . . they can squeeze the placenta so tight for so long that there's not enough oxygen getting through to the baby; this can cause severe fetal distress.  Or, if the baby is not fitting into the pelvis (obstructed labor), the very strong contractions caused by Cytotec can actually cause a tear in the birthing woman's uterine muscle, which is called a uterine rupture.

After the baby is born, contractions caused by Cytotec given to the mother no longer affect the baby.  After the baby is born, the risk of uterine rupture also goes away because once the baby is outside the mother's body, there is no possibility of an obstructed labor. 

 

 

 

(It's the same drug as misoprostol).

 

http://www.psi.org/our-work/healthy-lives/interventions/misoprostol-reduce-postpartum-hemorrhage

 

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/17841

 

http://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/dqi/misoprostolReport.pdf 

 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15919088?dopt=Abstract

 

(among others)

 

Anyway, I just didn't think I'd have to defend a well-researched decision (that I would use only in an acute emergency situation) on this thread of all places, but I am trying to view your post as it was intended -- no hard feelings.




Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for replying, I apologize too for being defensive! I have admittedly been hormonal lately (I cried for 20 minutes over a cartoon the other day, long story lol). I just wouldn't want anyone to think I would ever endanger mine or my baby's health/well-being and I do believe you were coming from a loving place. hug2.gif

 

I would NEVER use it in birthing ever... I would never even use it unless I really felt it was an emergency pph situation (after trying the natural things) -- which is weird that I'm even thinking about it because I don't anticipate that happening at all. I just want to cover all my bases. As far as the amount of blood, someone suggested what I thought was a brilliant way of knowing if it was 'too much' -- they said to measure out 2 - 2.5 cups of uncooked jello (like liquid) or ketchup mixed with water, and pour it on a chux, or a towel, or whatever. That way you can gauge by sight (in addition to how you're feeling obviously) what's 'normal' and what's getting into sketchy territory. Maybe I don't get out much but I thought that was brilliant lol...


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ITA Tumble Bumbles, it is a tool to have if other avenues have been exhausted, fundal massage, sheperd's purse, cayenne, placenta chunk in mother's mouth in regard to PPH and one is presented w/ a PPH situation. This is my 11th, 8th planned UC. I have never had a PPH, I had more bleeding for my liking w/ my 7th. I go by how I feel not by a number in all aspects of my UP/UC care. I used sheperd's purse and it was effective for that situation, but I will have cytotec (misoprostol) on hand JIC I am ever presented w/ a severe bleed after birth. I live 45 minutes from the hospital so it only seems prudent.


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't offend you and you understood where I was coming from. I totally understand that hormonal thing.... I cried over the spilt milk the other day. lol

 

About the 2.5 cups of blood loss though, it IS VERY hard to determine the right amount because it could be a combined amount of chunks, blood fluid, and amniotic fluid. It's so hard to tell what's amniotic fluid vs. what's blood since it's all mixed together. Technically, the medical label of a hemorrhage is a blood loss of 500 cc's (about 2.5 cups). However, every woman feels it differently and this is why it's so hard to determine whether a mom needs intervention for hem. Some women can loose 500 cc's and be super dizzy while others it won't effect them until they've lost 1500! That's why it's always best to go by how you feel vs. what it looks like. smile.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Thanks for replying, I apologize too for being defensive! I have admittedly been hormonal lately (I cried for 20 minutes over a cartoon the other day, long story lol). I just wouldn't want anyone to think I would ever endanger mine or my baby's health/well-being and I do believe you were coming from a loving place. hug2.gif

 

I would NEVER use it in birthing ever... I would never even use it unless I really felt it was an emergency pph situation (after trying the natural things) -- which is weird that I'm even thinking about it because I don't anticipate that happening at all. I just want to cover all my bases. As far as the amount of blood, someone suggested what I thought was a brilliant way of knowing if it was 'too much' -- they said to measure out 2 - 2.5 cups of uncooked jello (like liquid) or ketchup mixed with water, and pour it on a chux, or a towel, or whatever. That way you can gauge by sight (in addition to how you're feeling obviously) what's 'normal' and what's getting into sketchy territory. Maybe I don't get out much but I thought that was brilliant lol...




Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post

 

 

About the 2.5 cups of blood loss though, it IS VERY hard to determine the right amount because it could be a combined amount of chunks, blood fluid, and amniotic fluid. It's so hard to tell what's amniotic fluid vs. what's blood since it's all mixed together. Technically, the medical label of a hemorrhage is a blood loss of 500 cc's (about 2.5 cups). However, every woman feels it differently and this is why it's so hard to determine whether a mom needs intervention for hem. Some women can loose 500 cc's and be super dizzy while others it won't effect them until they've lost 1500! That's why it's always best to go by how you feel vs. what it looks like. smile.gif
 


 


I agree. That is why I never tried to determine what 500cc's looks like. It is pointless to me, it matters how I am experiencing the first moments and hours postnatally.


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
 
tracymom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a big-ish bleed after my c-section (hemoglobin was about 6 in the hospital) but felt totally fine! With my homebirth, I hardly bled at all (in comparison). I agree that it has so much more to do with the individual than the volume count. EveryBODY is different! innocent.gif

Well ladies, it looks like I am official! Had my ultrasound today and everything looks great. I was worried because at 20 weeks, I am just not feeling as much fetal movement as with my previous pregnancies. I know that the range for feeling movement is so great and varied - I am not a worrier by nature- but my mama instinct just said to check everything out before taking on the responsibility of a UC. Wednesday will be my breakup day with my midwife. I know she will have a copy of the ultrasound report and I want one, too, just for my records, so I will be visiting her in person.

I feel so liberated! And so excited and gracious to share this journey with so many amazing mamas! joy.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

 

 
 
 
  

tracymom1 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Edited. 

 joy.gif




Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's important to go with your intuition and do what you feel is best and if that means getting a U/S, then do it. At this moment, I don't feel like I need a U/S but that may change later on and I say go with whatever your gut/intuition/God/ect. tells you.

 

Yay Tracy! I'm happy for you. It's important to do what you feel is best and I'm so glad to have some other ladies on here I can chat with going thru the same things. joy.gif


Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ugh. I called the vital statistics office to order this mythical "home birth packet" they say they provide on their website. The woman tells me it doesn't exist and that my midwife will take care of everything. So I had to sort of allude to the fact that we may not have a midwife and while she was very, very nice about it all, I got the sense that she was taking so much time talking to me in order to suss out whether I was a menace to society who was endangering my future child or not. I tried to come across as very well-spoken and informed, but I felt all nervous. I didn't give her any information, but now I'm a bit paranoid that they can somehow get CPS involved based solely on my cell phone (I said I was paranoid lol).  She was really pushing the option of having a health nurse come out after the baby is born to verify the birth took place in my county etc (for the birth certificate). Now I feel all vulnerable and 'out there' -- even though this is a legal (albeit unusual and frowned upon) option. I asked her how long it's been since they had someone unassisted and she said a long, long time. She said if I brought baby to vital statistics rather than having a health nurse come out that the health dept doctor would be "required" to look at him anyway. Ugh.

 

Someone talk me down please lol


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Ugh. I called the vital statistics office to order this mythical "home birth packet" they say they provide on their website. The woman tells me it doesn't exist and that my midwife will take care of everything. So I had to sort of allude to the fact that we may not have a midwife and while she was very, very nice about it all, I got the sense that she was taking so much time talking to me in order to suss out whether I was a menace to society who was endangering my future child or not. I tried to come across as very well-spoken and informed, but I felt all nervous. I didn't give her any information, but now I'm a bit paranoid that they can somehow get CPS involved based solely on my cell phone (I said I was paranoid lol).  She was really pushing the option of having a health nurse come out after the baby is born to verify the birth took place in my county etc (for the birth certificate). Now I feel all vulnerable and 'out there' -- even though this is a legal (albeit unusual and frowned upon) option. I asked her how long it's been since they had someone unassisted and she said a long, long time. She said if I brought baby to vital statistics rather than having a health nurse come out that the health dept doctor would be "required" to look at him anyway. Ugh.

 

Someone talk me down please lol



The "HB packet" won't be mailed to you in most states, never heard of anyone getting anything until baby arrived, until after your baby arrives and they confirm an actual baby exists. A ped note, baptism cert, or something else. It is the actual form that a midwife or dr/hospital would fill out. They can't just mail it out b/c then anyone could request one to get a false identity to acquire a false ss# to apply for credit. Just call after baby arrives, I promise it will be pretty simplistic and no one will be sent to your house. I don't take baby to ped so we use our baptismal cert. We baptize baby very soon after birth. I know that isn't an option for everyone.


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for the info -- I still feel all flustered.

 

She also claimed someone "had" to be there besides me and my husband, even if they weren't a midwife in order to "verify" the baby was actually born to me which to my understanding is *not* true.


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Thanks for the info -- I still feel all flustered.

 

She also claimed someone "had" to be there besides me and my husband, even if they weren't a midwife in order to "verify" the baby was actually born to me which to my understanding is *not* true.



Of course there is much misunderstanding of UC. What she told you is not true and in my state my dh can write a letter verifying that the baby was born from me. Try to let it go as baby isn't coming for quite a bit and it isn't something you can work on today. They cannot deny baby a birth cert irregardless of where baby was born or in what manner.


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tumbles~ I'm sorry she treated you that way. I'm not sure what you need for your state to prove it is your baby. Here we need two signed affidavits by anyone stating that I'm pregnant (my midwife friends are doing this) and then a letter by a doc. once baby is born that it is my child. Mamatoabunch obviously has done this many times so she knows a lot about it. Every state is different so I'm not sure what you need, but try not to get down. It will all work out and CPS won't come after you. joy.gif


Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks mamas, I feel much better. I guess I was all flustered because we have not told anyone about our plans except people we trust and know would never bring about any emotional harm/concern to us or our family. I felt all vulnerable 'putting it out there'. The lady was actually very nice, I didn't get any hostility or judgment from her per se, just felt sort of like she was 'sizing me up' if you will.

 

I'm admittedly a type A'ish get-all-my-ducks-in-a-row type of person and I know I need to chill about the bureaucratic aspects of it. I mean, worst case scenario they can do a DNA test to 'prove' it's my child orngtongue.gif.

 

Sometimes I do feel quite guarded because we do so many things that go against the grain of what's considered "normal" 'round these parts, but I am praying and calling upon the peace of Christ to surround me and protect me from anyone or anything (including myself) who may disturb my faith or peace in the situation.

 

So grateful to have a place to get these things out and women with whom to share this experience with, so thanks again.


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
 
tracymom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my last home birth, I had an illegal DEM there, so for all intents and purposes, according to the county we had a UC. She could not do anything with regards to the birth certificate. So after DD was born, I took her to my (very, very homebirth friendly) family practice doc and he wrote me a letter that said "Kaya Rose was born at home on July 20th 2009 and is in good health" I called the vital stat office and said that I had a baby born at home without anyone present except for my husband. About 4 phone calls, numerous transfers, and several hours of my time they sent out the "packet" which included very, very clear instructions as to what to include when applying for a birth certificate. I filled it out to the best of my ability and low and behold!! 8 weeks later a birth certificate showed up at our house!! I have to say even I was amazed that it actually came without any hassle other than the initial phone call mess.

I say put it out of your mind for now and just revisit the issue once the baby is here. I know that in my county you have 3 months from the date of birth to apply for the BC before they "will investigate" the accuracy of the situation. Everything will work out, mama!! I know you want to plan and get everything in order, but sometimes you just have to sit back and go with the flow! My favorite Jewish prayer is called the Shehecheyanu (that's a mouthful!!) and it simply says: Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.

How blessed we are to be right here, right now! Deep breath and big, big exhale!! Peace, TB!!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

 

 
 
 
  

tracymom1 is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
 
sharita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had an easy time getting the borth cert and ss card also.  I just took baby down to health department, filled out the form for the birth cert, stated that DH delivered (they didnt need a reason why) and had to have another person with me to sign as a witness that they were there during the birth. (my mom did it first time, DH second homebirth)  I too had an illegal DEM so that was our route. 

 

All I needed was a bill from the month before the birth and after showing I lived in that county at time of birth, and my ID, and DH there with his ss card and ID since he was going to be on the birth cert but we werent married at the time.  They printed it out right there, and SS card came in the mail later.

 

So easy.  I wish it was that easy everywhere for all the other mamas.

 

It does help to call your local health dept to find out ahead of time what you wil need. 


 homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

sharita is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am very type A as well, but w/ many children and having the experience of several UC's it is getting stamped out of me 


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks so much mamas -- I'm taking your wise advice and just not worrying about it at all. It's not helpful at all to stress over it. The kid's gonna get a birth certificate one way or another lol

 

 

Quote:
 Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.

 

 Tracy that is a beautiful prayer. I think I may include that in the birth scriptures/prayers/affirmations that I'll have on hand during labor :)

 

 

 

Quote:
 

I am very type A as well, but w/ many children and having the experience of several UC's it is getting stamped out of me  

 

Annabelle, believe it or not I am so much more mellow than I used to be (scary thought haha). I wish I had the benefit of soon-to-be 8 UCs under my belt (no pun intended orngtongue.gif )! You know your our UC rock star though... and we're so blessed to have your insight and experience!

 

Thanks again for your wisdom, advice and encouragement mamas!


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:34 PM
 
junebug2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One more bump on postpartum cytotec ... It is great as UC mamas to be prepared. I think pp cytotec is great because there is nothing to draw up or inject. Just to mention, best route is rectally and when you are pp and bleeding it might be hard to do that yourself, so let your DPs get familiar with that part of your body (if they aren't already lol) so that they can be sure where to put it. We use a little bit of jelly and make sure its up high enough (past sphincter) not to get pushed out. I have seen between 600-1000mcg used. They come in 200 mcg tablets and are very small, be careful not to lose them after you take them out of the packet.

 

Re feeling dizzy, there might be a delay between your blood loss and when you start feeling dizzy. How we gauge blood loss (harder to do if you are in a tub obviously), is after the placenta, you can saturate one towel, but after getting cleaned up your fundus should be nice and firm, below your belly button and not too many more gushes. A real postpartum hemorrhage (which I have unfortunately seen a number of times) looks like water pouring out of a faucet. I think they're way less likely at home anyway, all the meds we give in the hospital increase the risk by a lot.

 

Good things to think about, I'm sure none of you will have to worry :)


treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

junebug2011 is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Wow Junebug2011 thanks so much for your experience and information! :)


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off