Strongly Considering a UC in June '11 Tribe...support only please! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 240 Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have solidly decided yes after talking to our Midwife who is hospital based.  She gave us a few "hypothetical" tips (keep baby warm, check breathing, make sure she pinks up and check my blood loss).  I am trying to find out what herbs I will need as I am most concerned about bleeding afterward. DH is so excited.  He is the calmer of the two of us.  I need to get a few more supplies, especially since I am due in 2w 2 days.

Questions for those that have done this before: What herbs did you use for birth and after, what did you use to tie cord and when did you cut cord?

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#212 of 240 Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

Questions for those that have done this before: What herbs did you use for birth and after, what did you use to tie cord and when did you cut cord?

We uc'd dd#2.  I didn't use any herbs at all for birth, but did do an herbal soak afterwards.  I can't remember everything that was in it, but I do remember comfrey.  We cut the cord after the placenta was out ... maybe 15-20 minutes after she was born?  DH used his wedding knife to cut it, which was spiritually very significant for us, and we tied it off with cotton kitchen twine.  Easy-peasy!  thumb.gif

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#213 of 240 Old 05-20-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

is anyone still planning a uc talking about it? ;)

We're taking Jenni's approach!  LOL  After a VERY encouraging appointment with my midwife on Monday I'm feeling much more confident in staying home to have the baby.  Depending on when the birth happens (my first 2 were born on Saturday nights), we'll probably go in to be checked out this time, but I'm willing to play that by ear, too.  My husband is really excited about another uc, which makes me so happy!  We'll have the same doula there who was with us for dd#2's birth, but since she's not medical in any way, shape or form I still consider births with her to be uc's.  I know others disagree, but they're my births and I don't care.  orngtongue.gif 

After last weekend, when I was halfway convinced we were having another Saturday-night baby and then didn't, I got motivated!  As I think about things I'd like to have available for another uc, I'm adding them to a Rubbermaid tote:  a bowl for the placenta, MY wedding knife this time, the kitchen twine, a pack of chux pads, some clean towels and a couple of receiving blankets, the baby's first diaper/cover/t-shirt, etc.  That kind of stuff.

#214 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Last time I didn't use any herbs, except some mint tea in labour, but this time I have some shephard's purse and motherwort tinctures, and some perineum soak herbs.  I didn't tie the cord, but this time I have ordered some little rubber cord bands for it.  I got an extra in case I break one or something.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#215 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM

yesterday i bought a shower curtain liner to use on my bed. i was thinking about getting chux pads. do you all think those are essential?

also, anyone have info for getting the birth cert in california?

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#216 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

We have solidly decided yes after talking to our Midwife who is hospital based.  She gave us a few "hypothetical" tips (keep baby warm, check breathing, make sure she pinks up and check my blood loss).  I am trying to find out what herbs I will need as I am most concerned about bleeding afterward. DH is so excited.  He is the calmer of the two of us.  I need to get a few more supplies, especially since I am due in 2w 2 days.

nettles. using nettle infusion regularly throughout late pregnancy can help prevent anemia as well as heavy bleeding at birth. up to a quart per day is recommended.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#217 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM

I make an infusion with nettles and RRL and drink about a quart or so a day - more when I get to term. I also have an alfalfa/dandelion root infusion that I drink every day too. Lots of great stuff in those!

I answered in the UC forum, too, but just wanted to reiterate shepherd's purse and angelical - they are the most beneficial, IMO.

I think chux pads are great to have - mostly because they can provide a soft surface and cut down on the slippery factor with the shower curtain. I also liked having them because I could just sit on one for the first several hours or so without having to think about pads and what-not. I would put them on the bed and couch even if I was wearing a pad for the first 24 hours because I found that when I would sit down for an hour or so to nurse or eat, I would have a gush when I went to stand up.

Last time we literally used a boiled shoelace to tie the cord! This time we have some sterile cord tape because it seems a little easier to manage. Shoestrings are hard to tie when wet, lol!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#218 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM

I have a couple of umbilical cord clamps that I'll be using. I also have a Dollar Tree shower curtain, or maybe I have two, and lots of chux pads. I bought a pack and then my sister gave me a pack that she got from the hospital when she had her youngest. They're great for during labor, but even better for during the first few days PP for the very reasons that Tracy said. I like having something under my bottom to serve as a barrier so I don't bleed all over my sheets and mattress, or my chairs, or my couch, etc. Especially at night because nothing is 100% with that first heavy bleeding.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#219 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 04:30 PM

thanks, mamas. where do you buy a pack of chux?

#220 of 240 Old 05-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Walgreens or Target - they are usually by the incontinence stuff. innocent.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#221 of 240 Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 PM

I have some ideas here ... 

for the mattress, you could layer .. we are doing fitted sheet, topsheet, then painting dropcloth over that, then fitted sheet over that, and everything pinned with safety pins. The top sheet is brown and cheap ... doesn't matter any way after wards just soak in plenty of hydrogen peroxide.

For peripads, I made an herbal infusion. The herb mix came with our birthkit, but I'm sure you could find one or make your own... it has uva ursi, yarrow flower, plaintain leaf, sage, witch hazel and comfrey leaf and root. Boil water, turn off flame, through in herbs, steep as long as you want to (for an afternoon). Strain it and pour liquid over peripads to saturate, wrap them in cellophane and place them into a bowl in the freezer (so they become mama shaped).

For the cord, I think we are tying it off, cutting then burning. That is something I saw done in rural Guatemala and thought it was beautiful ... babies rarely got cord infections even though they were living sometimes in places without running water.

For our birth certificate in San Diego, it is really a hassle ... even though we have midwives, we still also have to get letters from three people who can vouch that we had the baby, that she is ours and we are U.S. citizens. It's different in different counties, part of it is that we're so close to the border.

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#222 of 240 Old 05-22-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Walgreens or Target - they are usually by the incontinence stuff. innocent.gif

While you're in that section you can pick up a small pack of Depends (or the equivalent) for the first few days PP. They work sooooo much better than pads do!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#223 of 240 Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow, still up/ucing. I need to pee in a cup for proof of pregnancy like stat, lol.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#224 of 240 Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug2011 View Post

I have some ideas here ... 

for the mattress, you could layer .. we are doing fitted sheet, topsheet, then painting dropcloth over that, then fitted sheet over that, and everything pinned with safety pins. The top sheet is brown and cheap ... doesn't matter any way after wards just soak in plenty of hydrogen peroxide.

For peripads, I made an herbal infusion. The herb mix came with our birthkit, but I'm sure you could find one or make your own... it has uva ursi, yarrow flower, plaintain leaf, sage, witch hazel and comfrey leaf and root. Boil water, turn off flame, through in herbs, steep as long as you want to (for an afternoon). Strain it and pour liquid over peripads to saturate, wrap them in cellophane and place them into a bowl in the freezer (so they become mama shaped).

For the cord, I think we are tying it off, cutting then burning. That is something I saw done in rural Guatemala and thought it was beautiful ... babies rarely got cord infections even though they were living sometimes in places without running water.

For our birth certificate in San Diego, it is really a hassle ... even though we have midwives, we still also have to get letters from three people who can vouch that we had the baby, that she is ours and we are U.S. citizens. It's different in different counties, part of it is that we're so close to the border.

thanks for the info, junebug! i appreciate the peri-pad ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

While you're in that section you can pick up a small pack of Depends (or the equivalent) for the first few days PP. They work sooooo much better than pads do!

i got the chux! joy.gifdidn't get the depends, tho innocent.gif

mamas, i've not been able to find an irrigation bottle. does anyone have suggestions on where to get one?

i believe our doula/assistant midwife can sign as a birth attendant, so that might help us get the birth certificate....i hope. still need to do some research...

#225 of 240 Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 AM

Where can I get umbilical clamps?  I found a few places online but either I need a minimum order of 15.00 or the shipping is so high.  Anyone know any other options.  DH won't use string or anything else because he is too nervous about not doing it right and with the clamps it's a no brainer. If anyone has extra I would be willing to pay a reasonable price with shipping for them!

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#226 of 240 Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Where can I get umbilical clamps?  I found a few places online but either I need a minimum order of 15.00 or the shipping is so high.  Anyone know any other options.  DH won't use string or anything else because he is too nervous about not doing it right and with the clamps it's a no brainer. If anyone has extra I would be willing to pay a reasonable price with shipping for them!

I got mine from Cascade, but they do have a minimum order requirement. I was ordering several other items as well so it wasn't an issue for me. Have you tried ebay or Amazon? If I had any extras I'd send them to you, but I only have two.

Oh, I just thought of something. You could maybe ask midwives in your area if they have any you could buy from them. You wouldn't have to tell them that you're UCing, just that you are trying to complete your emergency birth kit.

Jenni

#227 of 240 Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Buddhamam, I think there is an ISO in the trading post here on MDC - you could post there for some. Otherwise, you could look up medical supply stores in your area and see if they carry them.

BHappy, you could always use a water bottle with a squirt top or one of those ketchup or mustard squeeze containers that you normally see in restaurants - lots of stores sell them this time of year. Otherwise, all the birthing supply websites do carry peri bottles (Jenni mentioned Cascade, and there is also Precious Arrows and In His Hands).

#228 of 240 Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
BHappy, you could always use a water bottle with a squirt top or one of those ketchup or mustard squeeze containers that you normally see in restaurants - lots of stores sell them this time of year. Otherwise, all the birthing supply websites do carry peri bottles (Jenni mentioned Cascade, and there is also Precious Arrows and In His Hands).

beauty supply stores sell bottles that you can use

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#229 of 240 Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM

Ok, this is our first and last UC and I need someone to talk to me about bloodloss and what is normal.  I never paid attention with my first two, and that was 20 years ago!  How do we know if I am losing too much? And how do i know if all the placenta came out?  With the alpacas you can tell because it isn't torn.

#230 of 240 Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Kind of the same with people - the placenta will look completely intact. One side is smooth and bag-like and the other side is more meaty. You should turn it inside out and check both sides. I think most people would be able to tell if some had separated away because you would literally see a piece missing or torn.

I believe the average blood loss after delivery is between 200-400ccs, with 500 being the cutoff for being considered PPH. (Someone correct me if I am wrong - I have total pregnancy brain right now). I would fill up a container with a around 200cc of a dark semi-viscous liquid and spill it onto a chux or two so that you get an idea of what it looks like (or so DH can see).

But, as most things are in life, how you are actually feeling is the most important thing. If you are feeling woosy, check your BP, elevate your legs, get some shepherd's purse into you, DRINK water, etc... and never hesitate to go to the hospital if you need to!

#231 of 240 Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Okay, I peed in a cup so I can cross that off the list. Next is to take my blood pressure. I've been thinking about testing for group b strep just to have it done but I don't know. If I could just go to a lab and do the swab myself it doesn't sound too bad, but I have really mixed feelings about that, strongly leaning towards just not doing it. My husband's Mom just died (not entirely unexpected and DH is handling it well but still stressful), and our apartment still hasn't sold which I was REALLY wanting to have happen before the babe comes, so I'm thinking the babe will hold off on coming for a bit until things settle down. I've been journaling to better remember these last days.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#232 of 240 Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Hey ladies!  I'm planning a homebirth with a midwife, BUT most likely it will take her at least two hours to get to my house.  My last labor was 3.5 hours so I'm concerned about this one going faster.  I'm receiving my homebirth kit today so we should have most necessary items at that point (including a birthing pool).  My question to you guys is what should I do/think about/be prepared for if dh and I deliver baby on our own?  I'm not completely confident in dh not panicking, but he seems at this point to be on the same page that calling an ambulance is an absolute last resort.  I thought you ladies would be the most knowledgeable of how I need to prepare just in case!  Thanks!!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#233 of 240 Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Last night, I had my husband calmly read the "if the midwife doesn't make it in time" sheet that she gave us.  I have no idea if that would cover it all; it's just a basic emergency birth back up plan.  Do you have a birth supply kit with chux pads, iodine, etc at the house? 

I should mention the ambulance to DH too.  I DO NOT want a transfer to a hospital just because the midwife didn't make it in time!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#234 of 240 Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Josie - Yes, the birth kit is supposed to arrive today and we should have everything here at that point.  I am not planning on cutting the cord until it has stopped pulsating a bit unless there seems to be an obvious reason to do so?  My midwife didn't hand me any kind of sheet about if she doesn't make it.  I guess we can talk about it at the next appointment, but that isn't until the 6th. 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#235 of 240 Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

UC mamas,

what's your plan in case of tears that need repairing (ie, stitches)? do they need to be tended to immediately? do you have to go to the hospital to get it done?

#236 of 240 Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Sorry for sort of crashing, maybe someone else has better answers for Andrea, but . . .

Amaayeh, so you probably could find an online emergency birth plan before you see your midwife.  Something like this one.  Having a planned home birth, you are already well ahead since you have the supplies and the set up already.  I would just make sure DH knew where these things were (probably set them out when labor begins).  You could throw a chux pad down for you to birth onto.  Your DH could clean his hands and/or your perineum with the iodine solution.  You could use warm cloths and olive oil and have your DH compress/massage while the baby is descending.  You could have blankets to wrap both you and the baby with.  And so on. Thankfully, you will have a midwife arriving, so blood loss, tears, etc, could be assessed by her. I am guessing though, that if the baby comes so fast that your midwife misses the birth, you may not have time for too much!   Here's to fast deliveries!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#237 of 240 Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 AM

Amaayeh, this is our first and last  UC and DH has read so many manuals and we have watched a LOT of UC videos online together.  We have had extensive talks about when a transfer would be necessary and such as well. However, my DH is a very confident person and very detail oriented so I am not worried about him freaking.  I think you just need to go over everything with him again and again and talk about it. Josie is right when she said you have all the equipment so that is half the battle.  Now I am working on getting myself in a mental rediness. My only fear is too much bleeding and I don't have a reason to to fear this other than the potential is there. But I have my Shepherd's Purse due in today.

On the Shepherd's Purse note.  What is the dose to take and when do I take it????????

#238 of 240 Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

UC mamas,

what's your plan in case of tears that need repairing (ie, stitches)? do they need to be tended to immediately? do you have to go to the hospital to get it done?

I didn't have any tearing after my last birth (a u/c), so didn't really worry about it.  My mw & ob know that if all is going well I plan to deliver at home; if I have issues with tearing or anything else, we'll just pack up and go to the hospital and get it addressed.

#239 of 240 Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM

If you labor in the water for more than a couple of hours, it will soften your tissues and you wouldn't be as likely to tear. Also, warm perineal compresses with some olive oil during the pushing stage can help as well. How long has it been since your last birth? I think the only options you have if you want to be stitched up is to call your regular provider or go to the ER. Tears down there need to be stitched relatively quickly if that is the route you want to go. Most providers will not suture a perineal tear after 6 hours because of the elevated risk of infection.

#240 of 240 Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

If you labor in the water for more than a couple of hours, it will soften your tissues and you wouldn't be as likely to tear. Also, warm perineal compresses with some olive oil during the pushing stage can help as well. How long has it been since your last birth? I think the only options you have if you want to be stitched up is to call your regular provider or go to the ER. Tears down there need to be stitched relatively quickly if that is the route you want to go. Most providers will not suture a perineal tear after 6 hours because of the elevated risk of infection.

thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page