Do we have a chat thread this week? I could sure use one! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure that baby daddy will want to circ, but since he's not involved at the moment, and I'm not planning on having him at the birth anyway, I'm just doing whatever I feel like. Chances are pretty good that once he's over a few days, it won't be an issue anyway. We'll see what happens I guess. I'm not planning on having the conversation with him at all. I had my oldest circ'd and I wish I could go back and not have it done at all. I've apologized to him for it and told him that I didn't know better and 12 years ago it was what everyone was doing. I didn't really understand that I could say no.  :(

Ladies that are dealing with opposition on the circ issue, I just want to say that I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that added stress and pressure. I hope that you are able to come to a good resolution with your partners.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yeah, the circ issue is tough for many couples. I have very strong feelings about it and thank God my (circ'ed) husband is very supportive of leaving our son intact (our first is a girl). To him, he feels as though his parents just did what they knew at the time, but when you know better you do better. He didn't feel as though I was insulting his penis or saying he was "less than" or anything. However, I do feel badly that the right to genital integrity and to make that permanent decision about his body was taken from him.  It is very much a die-on-a-hill issue for me and although I don't know as I would divorce over it, it would be done over my dead body (so divorce would be a moot point I guess lol). To me it's a human rights issue.

However, I do know a woman who felt the same way as myself only her husband felt just as adamant the other way and she held her ground. Their marriage was a bit shaky for a while but now the boy is two, intact,  and the husband has come around. I admire her for advocating so fiercely for her son's right to genital integrity.

I pray those of you struggling with your partners in this area come to a resolution that protects both the relationship and your sons. grouphug.gif

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

my husband and i disagree about the circumcision issue, too (he is pro, i am the skeptic). we didn't find out the baby's sex in advance with my first pregnancy, but i was hoping for a girl just to avoid this issue/decision! of course the universe had something else in mind and confronted me head-on. we ended up having my son circed because i just gave in to my husband's pushiness on the issue. i had an unplanned c-section after a planned natural birth, i was still medicated while i was in the hospital/he was in the NICU, and i honestly was second guessing my decision-making abilities because my birth was so off-track from what i wanted it to be. ugh.

we aren't finding out the sex in advance this time around either, but am planning for a homebirth, so that at least makes circing less pushed upon by a hospital, and more of a hassle to find someone to do it. i am hoping all those factors work in my favor.  

Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Oh my gosh! I think i at least have a new perspective on why the boards seem so pro girl baby lately...if i had to deal with this issue i would probably only want girls, too! Yikes. Makes me so grateful to be having my babies here in switzerland. Circ is not done here. If you are jewish, you have to hire some religious guy to come to your home and do it in your living room with a religious ceremony. I know one person who did this, she had to bring him over from germany!

The odd american or other foreign expat who anyway wants this done has to schedule an appointment with one of the few PLASTIC SURGEONS who will do it and it is done when the baby is much older and paid for out of pocket. I have even heard of these very doctors trying to talk the parents out of it! The ones who perform this generally only do it for rare medical reasons.

Anyway, it feels so weird to me, this whole issue. So sorry for those of you who are dealing with this!

On a more uplifting note, i am now looking Like a red hot mama in my new sexy compression hose! Hahaha ahem.
innocent.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

I have a question for you ladies regarding this subject...I have a friend that is having a son.  I have no idea her beliefs on the issue, but she was open to using a midwife and is doing so.  However, I'm 'concerned' she isn't informed, but do not know this to be true.  I don't want to email her directly with information so I posted it on my blog.  I'm not sure if she still reads that or not.  Any other ideas on how to put the information out there gently?

With friends, I have brought it up. "Hey I didn't know if you'd given any thought to the circumcision issue. We researched it a lot with DS and decided to leave him intact. Truly, the more you know about it, the worse it seems."

I included a note in DH's cousin's shower gift, offering to chat or answer questions and pointing out that a large percentage of people are not circ'ing these days. They had a girl, so it was a moot point.  

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM

BHappy: Yeah, that's round ligament pain and I have it too. You might notice it the most when you shift in bed. I have to prop up my belly with pillows on that side, otherwise the ligament pulls and it really hurts :) It's very common in preg and nothing to worry about. As an OB nurse I see a lot of pregnant mamas come in with that complaint. I notice it the most during growth spurts, it's a sign that the LO is growing :)

Kristin: I'm sorry for what you're going through with your LO. I think when you don't understand what's going on it's really scary. So happy to hear he's doing better!

Jenni: You can make it mama. We've had tons of stress through this pregnancy and I notice that bad news comes in waves. It sounds like you have and have always had a strong head on your shoulders. I am a nurse as well and I can say there is nothing more empowering then caring for others in order to provide for your family. Once you get through school you will realize that it's one of the best choices you've made, for you and your kids :) And you won't need those men around anyway, until they behave worthy of your attention.

Take care and have a nice week, mamas.

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM

This afternoon we put an application in for the home we're hoping our little boy will be born into. The wait is nerve wracking! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Good luck Kawa!

I am hoping that I can finally beat the winter blues that I have been plagued with lately. I am starting to feel a little bit lighter, a little bit more energy than the past few weeks. I sure hope it continues! I have a lot of things to work on that need some serious attention!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Good luck Kawa!

I am hoping that I can finally beat the winter blues that I have been plagued with lately. I am starting to feel a little bit lighter, a little bit more energy than the past few weeks. I sure hope it continues! I have a lot of things to work on that need some serious attention!

I'm so not a fan of the winter doldrums. Moving to Texas was done, in large part, to get out of a winter climate where we were stuck inside the house for months at a time, freezing and dealing with gobs of snow and ice. I still feel blah in the winter because I don't like being cold and stuff stops growing and all the trees are naked. However, our winters are pretty short and fairly mild so I'm hoping that some nicer weather comes my way so I can perk up too!

Kawa, good luck on the house! The wait is awful when waiting to hear about a house, especially if you really want it.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM

We got the house! Thanks for your well wishes, ladies! We live in a pretty crummy neighbourhood in a not great apartment so this house gives the kids a yard and a big deck and low crime and better schools and space to be nevermind a great, big, open living room perfect for a birth tub. Three toilets! A dishwasher! Some money stresses come with but I'm feeling relieved to be on our way out of one of the worst 'hoods in our city. No more high kid neglecting neighbours, drug deals, fear of another break in or murder and gun shots outside the windows. My family has def been through some times.  

I too am feeling blah this winter. Last year we were out freezing everywhere but I've had such a low tolerance for the weather and have been dragging butt exhausted so I'm for sure looking forward to spring. I grew up in FL and I don't know if I'll ever gracefully embrace snow weather. Spring is my 3rd trimester too! To make myself feel better I'm currently sitting in a Lush bath and about to watch some sort of trashy, mindless programme on the laptop. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Yay Kawa! So exciting! I wish you lots of happiness and good times in your new dwelling.

It has been an unusually cold winter here this year. Temps have rarely gotten out of the teens and at times have been much colder. I am feeling so stir crazy from being stuck inside most of the time! And, for some reason, I think this pregnancy is making me extra, extra cold. I literally wear 2 of everything (pairs of socks and pants, shirt and sweatshirt, hat and scarf, etc..) around the house and I am still freezing. Although we keep our thermostat around 66, most people say it is comfortable in here and the kids are never cold so I know it is just me. I am wondering if it is anemia... maybe I should have a CBC done...

I am really hoping that someday we can move out to Arizona. I would be happiest in a climate where the temperature never drops below 50. I lived in Oregon for many years (in the valley where there is not really much of a winter - barely any snow and not freezing temps all that often) and I could easily do that again, but I would just so love to be in warmth!! I am not cut out for these midwest winters!
cold.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 AM

Kawa-great news! Sounds like it's a very good idea to get out of your current neighborhood...yikes!

I am also probably never going to fully embrace winter. cold.gif i am a californian, living the last decade in switzerland, spending the next 4 years or so in metro NYC (CT likely). Burr. I never get used to it, even though some of the beauty of it doesn't escape me. I am always cold. I practically hibernate through this whole season.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 AM

Yay, that's awesome kawa! :)

I'm also reaching the point during winter where I'm just so. over. it. I would happily hibernate for a couple of months, but we live waaay up north so winters last nearly six months. I hate being stuck inside. I always develop a mild depression around this time of year. Spring can't come quickly enough!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm sick of winter, typing w/ ice cold hands right now. I detest January. Luckily in NM we still get bright skies most days though. I am going crazy cleaning since we have people coming to see our house this afternoon.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Annabelle - Did you get the house that you put the bid on?
Kawa - Congrats on the new home smile.gif

I hear you guys about the cold and snow... We got another 10 inches last night. Which isn't that much but is a lot when you have to find places to put it (we live in the city). It requires jockying cars and huge piles of snow. Thankfully we are mostly dug out. This is what my neighborhood looked like last year500500

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM

I love the snow pics, beautiful! 

We are supposed to close on the house 2/11. I am feeling anxious as two other house deals have fallen through. If we sold our house things would be so much easier. We clean every Friday, but of course it is Thursday and the house in a desperate decline of cleanliness.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM

I hear you Annabelle... I know what 1 toddler can do to a clean house in 5 minutes I couldn't imagine what your crew could accomplish smile.gif I will be thinking of you for a uncomplicated closing on the 11th!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM

I've been running around like a crazy lady preparing for DD's 3rd birthday party tomorrow. Cleaning all day yesterday, cooking all day today. For all the time I spent cooking I feel like I should have way more than 2 cakes, 1 batch of cookies, mini quiches and chocolate covered strawberries. Why does everything always take way longer than you think it will?

Anyway, DD's excited. :)

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM

hey mamas. just a brief update...i'm exhausted from the week's bustling activity...lying down & typing one-handed!

there's a lot going on right now. finalizing who my long-term sub is going to be... i still have so much i want to teach my class before baby comes. the time is going by very quickly! i've been pretty tired this week, and my new regular bedtime seems to be 8:00. i'm a little frazzled and maybe pushed too hard this week. i'm a tad resentful of dh, who has a cushee job, gets paid a lot more than i do, yet he has time to go surfing and lead a pretty laid-back life. i'm working longer days, get paid half as much and feel i have no leisure time other than collapsing on the couch when i get home...its not at all bad in any way, just me feeling over-baked. last weekend i started doing yoga and had a wonderful massage. very nice...mmmmmmm.

well, i have to say i'm ready for winter to come back! we've had 70 degree weather for the past 2 weeks and it feels too much like spring! i'm not really complaining, but still ready for some more winter to come.

congrats and best wishes on the new home fronts coming. that's exciting, mamas!

love to you all,

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Bhappy - a massage! Oooh, I'm jealous. I love me a good massage. I hope you're getting some relaxation time over the weekend, though I know that's not a given when you have kids. ;)

We had DD's birthday party today! Everyone had a great time. :) Poor DD slept horribly last night, so she got very tired and frazzled towards the end. She accidentally bonked another kid on the head with a magic wand she'd been given, then his mother took it away from her (understandably) which lead to a huge meltdown. I had to take her into our bedroom for some quiet time for a while. I felt bad about neglecting our guests, but everyone was happy talking with each other so it was ok. DD came out somewhat refreshed and we played pass the parcel ( huge hit!!) and blew out the candles on the cake.

I have a huge chemistry assignment due Tuesday and I've done maybe 10% of it. Ugh. I can't bring myself to do it now though...need to unwind a bit after the party!

What have are the rest of you up to this weekend?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Snowflake, what is "pass the parcel"? I've never heard of that before. I'm glad that the party was (mostly) a success!

I'm doing kind of nothing so far. I started cleaning and organizing my room a little bit, but I feel like I can't do it all the way until I get some cute storage boxes to put things away in, instead of just stacking stuff all over the shelves. My room is also my "office" and study area so I try to keep it neat so I can sleep and not feel like I'm sleeping in an office. Of course, right now I can't even see my desk...

I also bought a new-to-me stroller and carseat combo yesterday afternoon so I've spent part of my day today washing the removable parts in the washer. That stuff is outside in the sun, drying and having any lingering germs killed by the lovely rays of the sun. :)  Next I'll be tackling the plastic pieces of the carseat and getting them all cleaned out and off and vacuuming the stroller out and wiping it down. That is my first major big item purchase for this baby and it made it feel SO real! Of course, a big chunk of my closet is now taken up with the stroller. lol

Okay... I'm off to put all the books back on the bookshelf now. I had to take stuff off to move it and there are now stacks of books and stuff all over my bedroom floor. Gah!

Jenni

Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM

I have been hitting it big with the deals lately.  I just got 8 unused newborn and 6 barely used size small G=diapers and liners for 25.00! And yes, that is for all!

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 AM

I just finished my DONA doula training over the weekend. As a visibly pregnant woman in a room full of 40 doulas-to-be, I felt like a unicorn. The only disappointment was that I'd been hoping to meet someone in the class that I connected with and would be willing to doula my birth as one of their required births for DONA certification, and I met lots of lovely folks, but not really anyone who shared my outlook on reproductive health.

Is anyone else starting to feel kind of "tight" in the belly? I'm starting to think there isn't enough room in there for baby, stomach, lungs, and bladder.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

I just finished my DONA doula training over the weekend. As a visibly pregnant woman in a room full of 40 doulas-to-be, I felt like a unicorn. The only disappointment was that I'd been hoping to meet someone in the class that I connected with and would be willing to doula my birth as one of their required births for DONA certification, and I met lots of lovely folks, but not really anyone who shared my outlook on reproductive health.

Awesome! Being a doula is really great! You'll find a great doula, no worries :)

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

User Tag List