Question for those that have had unmedicated hospital briths... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How long did you labor at home? I would like to have an unmedicated birth and because of financial/insurance reasons I will be giving birth at the hospital. I know once I get to the hospital the docs will try to get me to do one med intervention after the other, so I am thinking my best bet is to stay at home as long as I can. I don't know in the midst of labor I will be able to say no to medication, so I am hoping I can stay away from the hospital and get there when it is too late for them to give me anything anyway. LOL!  I live 15 minutes from the hospital so I think I am safe waiting it out for a while.

I can only go off the last birth experience. I got to the hospital and it was the total snowball effect like they describe in business of being born. It was really fursterating and they did not listen to my requests at all. I do not want that to happen this time and I don't think it will because I am hiring a Doula and I am much more educated now about my options and rights then I was but, still...I think I can help myself out by laboring in the peace of my home as long as possible.

Okay, thanks for reading my long winded email to ask a little questionlove.gif

Megan

#2 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

I was very near transition and credit my MW for being a great advocate. Good on you for hiring a doula!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM

I would not show up until I could not talk at all during contractions and felt that intense transitiony feeling, maybe even pushy.

javilu likes this.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#4 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Docs cannot push you to take pain medication. There is something called a Patient's Bill of Rights, where you can refuse medical treatment (ie. including all drugs). Pain control is completely optional. A great way to do this is write out your birth plan, and give copies to all involved physicians & the nursing staff when you arrive.

#5 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I went to the hospital when I was 7.5 cm.  Now, I ended up with a very much needed C-section anyways, but the time I labored was unmedicated., and I labored to 10 cm plus several hours of pushing.

I would not wait to show up until transition, unless you can be sure your DH will stand up for you.  Being in transition means you may be too far into labor land to communicate your wishes as you would normally. 

javilu likes this.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#6 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM

With my oldest I got to the hospital at about 3.5 cm. I walked the halls for 45 minutes or so and I was rechecked and I was at 4.5 cm so they admitted me. I refused an IV, but did allow a saline lock. I refused continuous EF monitoring, but did do 10 minutes of monitoring every hour or so. The nurses offered pain meds over and over again and I said "No thank you" each time. After about the 5th time I told the nurse that I would ask for meds if I wanted them and please stop asking. I asked her to pass that along to the other RNs as well. They didn't ask again. We got to the hospital at noon and my son was born at 6:42 that evening after maybe 25 minutes of pushing.

With my second I got to the hospital in the middle of the night, around 3 am, and at about 4.5 cm. They admitted me and I went to sleep, after refusing an IV and a saline lock and telling the nurse not to ask me about meds. At around 5 am I called my mom to tell her I was in labor and at the hospital and I sort of dozed off and on for the 45 minutes or so that it took her and my sister to get there. My daughter was born at 8:56 that morning after about 20 minutes of pushing.

I think my births were so low intervention-wise because I just politely said "No thank you" to just about everything they said they were going to do.

RN: We're just going to start your IV now.

Me: No thank you

RN: We're going to hook you up to the monitors now.

Me: No thank you.

RN: Would you like something for pain?

RN: I need you to get in the bed and lie down.

Eventually they pretty much stopped asking me stuff because they got the same answer each time. LOL

I think that hiring a doula is a great step toward having a med-free and no or low intervention birth. I always encouraged my doula clients to make a birth plan, but often giving it to the nurses at the hospital doesn't do any good. They don't read them and often, and worse, will laugh at them and start taking bets on how long the momma will labor before her "emergency" c/s. So, do a birth plan, talk it over with your MW/OB and doula and partner. Know what you want, Visualize how your birth will look. Be polite and firm with the nurses and staff members. Use your doula as your advocate. Don't be afraid to say no. The 1992 Patient's Self Determination Act protects you from ANY and ALL undesired treatments and procedures. If you refuse and they do it anyway, it is assault and battery.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM

My first I was in the hospital for 12 hours and never had anything given to me, not even an IV. However I was 19 and thought I was suppose to be there at the first sign of labor.   My second we squeaked in just in time for me to give birth. Both were delivered by a midwife only with no interraction from an OB what so ever.  Not sure if that made a difference. This time I plan on either getting there in the nick of time or maybe "accidentally" waiting too long at home.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#8 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I get to the hospital at nine centimeters each time. But, I have fast labors, so I don't count as average. I did make sure the contractions were steady and that I dreaded the sight of the car.That's how my midwife told me to gauge it and she was dead on for me.

My midwife met me at the hospital and no one offered me anything, ever. They just crept up to me once in awhile to hear the baby's heartbeat.

#9 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM

It really depends on what staff members you run into, whether they will pressure you or not. With DD1 the nurse and the MW were *awesome*. I labored there for 16 hours and when I said I wanted pain meds, when I was entering transition, the MW took my face in her hands, bent down and got right in my eyes and said, "I'm going to start the jacuzzi as a way for you to redirect the discomfort. If you still want something after that, we have other options." Exactly what she knew I wanted all along. The nurse was beautiful and agreed with her. As soon as the MW shut the door to start the jacuzzi, I told the nurse I had to push. She lit up with this huuuuge beaming smile and said so joyfully, "Push your baby out!" She was in her 60's and had been an L&D nurse for over 30 years. From the look on her face in the pictures and her quiet, calm enthusiasm, you would think it was her first birth! She is actually tearfully happy in one of our pictures.

DD2 I got there about 10 minutes before the birth. The nurse was awful, physically tried to force me onto my back, tried to take my shirt off to change me into a gown AS I was pushing?! When I stopped her she threw up her hands and said, "Don't blame me if you have an emergency c-section and we have to cut your shirt off." She also said when we first got there, as I was squatting, that I should have come earlier so she would have had time to arrange the epidural. I fought her the entire time I pushed. She would not shut up. I had also signed the papers waiving the vitamin K and eye drops and she was extremely pushy about those as well, to the point where I almost felt assaulted by her.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a very strong advocate because you might have to actively defend yourself. I hope you get the awesome staff who will support your wishes!!!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#10 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

My first I was in the hospital for 12 hours and never had anything given to me, not even an IV. However I was 19 and thought I was suppose to be there at the first sign of labor.   My second we squeaked in just in time for me to give birth. Both were delivered by a midwife only with no interraction from an OB what so ever.  Not sure if that made a difference. This time I plan on either getting there in the nick of time or maybe "accidentally" waiting too long at home.

omg, i am so with you on the accidentally waiting too long at home... just have to get dh on board with that! lol 

to the op, i cannot really offer a helpful answer, as my first birth was twins and i was sick before i went into active labor. i arrived at the hospital too early, but throwing up and diarrhea and dehydrated, so needed help. my second birth started at 33 weeks when my water broke. i ended up in the hospital on bedrest for two weeks before delivering beautifully with my midwife.

this time, i want to wait as long as possible, and possibly wait so long that i have a home delivery. i continue to imagine my labor and birth being at home whenever i think about it... 

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#11 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM

This but I wasn't so polite. I just didn't do what I didn't want to do. I didn't have support other than my MW - it was me, the MW and whatever hospital staff. I didn't stay in bed and on my side still for 15m so the babe could be monitored. I got up, I found my comfortable space. Do I want an IV? No. No! With the exception of 1 PP nurse everyone I met was respectful of my choices which was great because I can be ornery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I think my births were so low intervention-wise because I just politely said "No thank you" to just about everything they said they were going to do.

RN: We're just going to start your IV now.

Me: No thank you

RN: We're going to hook you up to the monitors now.

RN: Would you like something for pain?

RN: I need you to get in the bed and lie down.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#12 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I get to the hospital at nine centimeters each time. But, I have fast labors, so I don't count as average. I did make sure the contractions were steady and that I dreaded the sight of the car.That's how my midwife told me to gauge it and she was dead on for me.

My midwife met me at the hospital and no one offered me anything, ever. They just crept up to me once in awhile to hear the baby's heartbeat.

This is pretty much me, my labors are really really fast.  The last time when I called my midwife I told her I was going to labor at home awhile longer before coming in.  I think we were at the hospital within 30 mins.  The nurses made a comment to me the next day about how when my midwife got off the phone told them to hurry and fill the tub cuz I was coming in and I go so fast.  We were at the hospital for an hr and he was out. 

That being said, it totally depends on what hospital you are at.  There are two in my town. I had my first at one of them and if the one where I go now wasn't here I would totally do home-births. I ended up with an induction with cytotec and pit, an IV and an epi and an epsiotomy.  I switched hospitals and providers and the hospital I now use does not "require" routine IV's and pretty much will let you do what you want. If you are a midwife patient, they automatically put you in a room with a water-birth tub.  

I'm not planning on a home-birth, but my last labor was 5 hrs. total. first contractions to when the baby was out. The one before that was 7 hrs.  so if we go down by 2 hrs every time, that leaves me with three.  

I cant give you a good time to go.  I don't time my contractions (i think my husband might, but he doesn't tell me) It's just a feeling that's like "OK, if we don't leave right this second, this baby is coming out here"  If the hospital where you had your 1st is where you are returning, I would wait as long as possible.  

#13 of 38 Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM

With my last birth I was 8 cm once I arrived at the hospital.  The only downfall to that was that I was GBS positive, so I prayed that I would make it another 4 hours so they wouldn't whisk the baby away to the NICU.  I waited until they administered the second dose of antibiotics and then they checked me and I was nearly 10, so they broke my water and 10 minutes later DS was born.

We had an awesome L&D nurse!  She kept everyone out of the room and was super encouraging.  She knew we were going for a natural birth and got pissed when the anesthesiologist asked if I wanted an epi.  lol!  She unhooked me from the constant monitoring and offered several different positions and suggestions to DH and I during labor.  We were really blessed to have such a great nurse!

#14 of 38 Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM

I had a really good experience with the birth of my son.  I labored at home for 5 or so hours and then my water broke; so, it was time to go.  I was GBS positive and like a PP said, wanted to get to the hospital in time to have the antibiotics for the 4 hours.  At the time, I lived 45 minutes from the hospital where my midwife delivered.  It was an incredibly intense ride!!  I pretty much got to the hospital 45 minutes or so before I hit transition.  I ended up having to push for about 2 hours because my son was facing sideways, and I was having a helluva time getting him out.  But, I had a wonderful midwife and the nurse that was on staff helping us out was amazing!!  Because a lot of midwives deliver at this hospital, they were used to women wanting natural births.  I was asked once about an epidural and when I said no, everything else was left alone.

I'm hoping that my experience this go around will be as fantastic.

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#15 of 38 Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

I went to the hospital when I was 7.5 cm.  Now, I ended up with a very much needed C-section anyways, but the time I labored was unmedicated., and I labored to 10 cm plus several hours of pushing.

I would not wait to show up until transition, unless you can be sure your DH will stand up for you.  Being in transition means you may be too far into labor land to communicate your wishes as you would normally. 

DDC crashing, but this is basically my story. In my case, my first stage was too fast to do much laboring at home. I woke up at 4 a.m. with mild contractions, 12 minutes apart, but by 6 a.m., they were 4 minutes apart and lasting for more than a minute. I was planning to "arrive pushing," but realized things were progressing too quickly for me to wait it out any longer. I walked into the hospital at 6-7 cm and everyone thought the baby would be out by noon. I ended up with a c-section at 4:30 (baby was acynclitic, which usually resolves during labor, but didn't and wouldn't, even after 4 hours of what my very pro NCB doctor--at my first visit, she offered to refer me to a homebirth midwife, for whom she provides backup care--considered effective pushing). 

My advice is find a caregiver you trust, if you can. I cannot stress that enough. If you're at the mercy of the OB/GYN pool, find a doula. If I'd been giving birth with the backup doctor or a random resident, I'd be wondering to this day if there was more I could have done to avoid the section. I trust that we exhausted all of our reasonable options. 

KempsMama likes this.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#16 of 38 Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

It sounds like before you go to the hospital you need to find a doctor that will support your wishes & use this time left to build a relationship.  I had a mostly non medicated birth with my son 4 years ago.  My doc knew exactly what I wanted & I had a midwife as my doula.  My water broke 4 weeks early & I didn't go into labor so I had to have pitocin.  No one tried to talk me into anything.  When I was in extreem pain they did ask if I wanted anything / epidural whatever (I don't even remember), but no pushing just an inquire. I think you should also make sure you do a hospital tour so you can ask questions.  Where I live the hospital mostly does what the doc requests so that's who you need to talk to before the big day.   

#17 of 38 Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Lots of good advice already shared here, but I wanted to add that there isn't really a "too late" for pain medication if you're using the idea that you'll be denied it as a hope you won't ask for it...I've attended births where the mom was 10 cm, ready to push, and was so fearful of pushing that even though the anesthesiologist of all people told her she could do it without medication (you will NEVER hear that from an anesthesiologist) she insisted and got a spinal injection 5 minutes before pushing her baby out. It barely had time to take effect but it was enough for her mentally to have had it...so there really isn't ever a time when it's too late for anesthesia unless you are actually already pushing. 

My best advice is to hire a doula to labor at home with you and help you decide when is the best time to go. Take a really intense childbirth education class and learn about the different stages and signs of labor to let you know where you're at, and have your partner or anyone attending you in labor read "the birth partner" by penny simkin for ways to support you at home as long as possible. And also to work with a hospital-based midwife if possible? So you'll have a provider who is more on board with what you want. The real luck of the draw is what you get in the labor nurse department, because a lot of them would rather have you on your back with the epidural (less work for them--they are tired and overworked and can watch your monitor tracings from the desk). They will offer drugs to you at every wince of pain unless you are up front with them from the beginning about not wanting any medication. You have to tell yourself and everyone around you that anesthesia is not an option, and that you would rather not be offered without asking for it yourself. I lucked out with an amazing labor nurse at my first birth who never once mentioned drugs when i told her what my wishes were, but I've seen so many women (as a doula) undermined by nurses who come in and say "honey are you sure you don't want something? i hate to see you like this..." because they've so rarely seen a woman laboring naturally. 

you can do it! 

isabchi likes this.

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#18 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wow what wonderful stories and advice. Thank you so much for sharing with me!!love.gif

I have a midwife now but, I also had a midwife with my last birth. The problem is that with Kaiser I am not guarenteed to get a midwife, I get who is on call. With that said, I am not at the same hospital this time, last time I was not at a Kaiser hospital, I was at a contracted hospital so this could have been why I had a random OB when I got there. 

I always heard there was a point where they couldn't give you drugs because you are just so close. I am suprised to find that out. I was lucky with my first birth in that the epidural wore off and I didn't ask for more around pushing time so I was able to feel and expereince that however, I just hated laboring in a bed. I think having a Doula and just saying no is what I need to do. Dh is super supportive and told me he would advocate for me in the hospital so that is reassuring!!

I have a second question maybe someone can answer. This is something I am planning to talk to my midwife about however, I am not sure I will get a straight story from her either since she is part of the same group. In my last birth, I was given pictocin right away when I got to the hospital because my water had broke and I was 2 cm dia. I was not having contractions I could feel at that time. I argued with the doc. that I did not want it and I wanted time for my body to do its thing. He told me I could have 1 hour and if there wasn't any sign of progression they would start antibiotics and pic. He pulled the your baby could get an infection...at the end of the 1 hours and walking and trying everything I could to get things going. They hooked me up and started the pic. My question is if your water breaks at an early stage in labor and I do not start progressing. How long is it safe to wait for you body to start doing its thing? I really thought 1 hour was not enough time. I probably had about 2 hours because the time it took to get to the hospital, etc. Is infection really a concern or was this just something the doc pulled to get me to sit in the bed and shut up??

I am wondering in case the same thing happens again, I can just stay home for x hours and wait for something to happen and if it doesn't then I know I need to go in at x hours.

Thank you for all of your support and help!!

Megan

#19 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4mady View Post

I have a second question maybe someone can answer. This is something I am planning to talk to my midwife about however, I am not sure I will get a straight story from her either since she is part of the same group. In my last birth, I was given pictocin right away when I got to the hospital because my water had broke and I was 2 cm dia. I was not having contractions I could feel at that time. I argued with the doc. that I did not want it and I wanted time for my body to do its thing. He told me I could have 1 hour and if there wasn't any sign of progression they would start antibiotics and pic. He pulled the your baby could get an infection...at the end of the 1 hours and walking and trying everything I could to get things going. They hooked me up and started the pic. My question is if your water breaks at an early stage in labor and I do not start progressing. How long is it safe to wait for you body to start doing its thing? I really thought 1 hour was not enough time. I probably had about 2 hours because the time it took to get to the hospital, etc. Is infection really a concern or was this just something the doc pulled to get me to sit in the bed and shut up??

Women at home have gone days w/ ruptured membranes and no issues w/ infection. The problem in hospital is they are checking your cervix, potentially introducing bacteria that can lead to infection. That increases your chances greatly! W/ my 7th, born at home, I had ruptured membranes at 3am, she was not born until 9pm. I never hit any sort of contractions really or even a labor pattern until 7pm or so. It is safe to wait quite a long time, especially avoiding certain behavior that can risk infection. 

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/prom.html

BarefootinBrooklyn likes this.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#20 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM

If your membranes rupture while you are at  home, your chances of any kind of infection occurring are way lower than if you went into the hospital. The bacteria/viruses/germs in your home are the ones that your body is used to. Heck, most of them are from your body and the bodies of your family anyway. Plus, at home (like MamaCrunch said) you're not sticking things into your vagina every hour or so. If your membranes rupture and the liquid is clear and doesn't smell bad, you really have quite a while before you need to be anywhere for labor. I know a woman who had SROM (spontaneous rupture of membranes) for almost 48 hours before her baby was born. There was no infection and everyone was fine.

I will say that if you have a vaginal infection at the time of SROM, there is some worry that the infection could travel up into the uterus. It's one of those things where you kind of have to use your own best judgment. However, and hour or two is not enough time and even the 12 to 24 hour time limit that most OBs place on women is not enough time.

BarefootinBrooklyn likes this.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#21 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

I hope your new hospital is better than the old one! 

I had a MW-assisted hospital birth with my dd1 that I had no worries about whatsoever.  With dd2, I had an OB and a TON of concerns about possibly having to argue with the hospital, but everything was fine.  I waited 8 hours after SROM at home before going in, because nothing was happening, and finally went in early in the AM because I was having about 4 serious contractions an hour and  I didn't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic.  I was only dilated to 2 when I got there.  I took a walk, we saw some progress, and I had a baby about 4 hours after checking in. 

I think the fast labor helped, but also, evidently, the hospital took patient rights seriously.  My dd spent 4 days there around age 20 months due to RSV, and they took patient rights seriously then too. 

#22 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mamatoabunch and Jenni- Thank you for your response to my second question. This is really reassuring to hear and it make me feel like if this is to happen again I can wait until I am ready to get over there.

My fluid was totally clear the first time and I was just like oh well, we will hang out for a while. A friend of the family came by and told me that once my water breaks I will be giving birth really soon so I needed to get to the hospital. Once I got to the hospital and they told me I was at 2 cm I was like ok well I am going to go home now and come back later. The doc was not ok with that so that is when everything started. Knowing I can stay at home and wait is a very reassuring thing to know for this time around.

I am thankful that I have learned about Patient Rights and am trying to education myself for this time around. Thanks to all of you ladies for sharing your knowledge!!

#23 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a connection between membranes being stripped and SROM? My midwife stripped my membrane at the last appointment (without asking first irked.gif) I had before dd was born. Could this have been related to my water breaking at an early stage.

Its funny that all these years I haven't thought about all the things that happen during my dd birth that bothered me. I remember at the time being upset but, I think once she was born I was so thrilled with motherhood I just let it all go. Now preparing for this birth it make me realize how upset I guess I still am at the situations that happen last time and it makes me so determined to advocate for myself and learn so I do not allow this to happen again.

#24 of 38 Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Is there a connection between membranes being stripped and SROM? My midwife stripped my membrane at the last appointment (without asking first irked.gif) I had before dd was born. Could this have been related to my water breaking at an early stage.

Stripping membranes can cause SROM, absolutely. I know a lot of MWs and OBs will strip membranes to try and get the woman's body to go into labor. But the fact of the matter is that it doesn't really matter what you do, if the baby and the momma aren't ready labor won't start. I usually advise my clients not to exhaust themselves with all the home remedy attempts at induction (walking, sex, nipple stim, spicy food, castor oil, cohoshes, etc) because once labor does start you're so worn out from trying to get to that beginning of labor point that the labor itself is extra hard.

Jenni

#25 of 38 Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jenni! I totally get women getting excited to see their babies but, I have never understood trying stuff to get it moving... I am one to let my pregnancy last until baby is ready. I enjoy being pregnant (for the most part) and like to experience it as long as I can!! I will make sure I keep reminding my new mw to keep her hands away from my membranes winky.gif Thanks for all your help!

#26 of 38 Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Its funny that all these years I haven't thought about all the things that happen during my dd birth that bothered me. I remember at the time being upset but, I think once she was born I was so thrilled with motherhood I just let it all go. Now preparing for this birth it make me realize how upset I guess I still am at the situations that happen last time and it makes me so determined to advocate for myself and learn so I do not allow this to happen again.

Not that anecdotes = data, but I had a membrane sweep (with my informed consent) and my water didn't break on its own. (I consented to AROM at almost-10 to help get past a lip and un-stick the baby--it worked for the lip but not for the stick).

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#27 of 38 Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 AM

You have gotten a ton of good responses, and it seems like people have addressed the water breaking issue, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in about how long to wait. I just want to point out that every labor is different, and I think it's important to have a plan about what will happen if you wait TOO LONG. If you plan to wait until you're in transition or pushing, the possibility is there for things to go too fast. Will you jump in the car even if you're already pushing, or completely out of control from the pain of transition contractions? Will you call 911? Will you prepare (really prepare, not just briefly entertain thoughts) for an unassisted birth just in case? Have a plan.

My experience was that my contractions started after sex. I always got crampy after sex, and when I realized the crampy was rhythmic this time (every 3-4 minutes from the very start) I called the nurse at my hosp. MW practice. She told me to get some sleep and come in in the morning. I did, I slept through almost my whole labor. My contractions never got stronger, longer, or closer together until transition, which was about 5 minutes worth of totally crazy strong contractions before I started pushing in my bathroom at home early the next morning. I didn't have a plan for this, and I was terrified and not able to even think, so my husband drove me to the hospital and I pushed out my son within 15 minutes or so. It turned out to be a very successful strategy for avoiding pain meds in labor, if that's your goal! wink1.gif However, it sucked as a strategy for a peaceful birth, for feeling in control and not scared, and if you don't want complete chaos surrounding the birth and immediately afterwards. This time I'm planning a home birth, but if I were going the hospital route I would either get a doula and leave as soon as I was sure I was in labor, or I would prepare for an unassisted birth, try to time things, but plan to stay home if I waited too long. Or both wink1.gif it pays to be prepared. There's no way I'd want to go to the hospital in transition or pushing again (barring an emergency of course).

Just my two cents.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#28 of 38 Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experience, Barefoot! I really do not want to get to the hospital during transition that sounds really stressful. With my first birth I did not have to push long at all before she was born so if I got to the point where I was pushing Id never make it to the front door let alone the hospital. I think from reading all of the responses I have found more confidence in my ability to say no to the med interventions I don't want. This has really helped me revisit my last birth too and look at what I am fearful of going into this one. My intuition is usually right on when I listen to it and I think this is one of those situations where I am going to have to listen to my body really carefully to know when I am ready to get to the hospital. I think I will research more into UC and be somewhat prepared just in case. Although, I must say a homebirth with an experience MW sounds wonderful, a UC just kind of freaks me out a bit.

#29 of 38 Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM

I labored at home for about 3 hours, until I started to feel a little unhinged and decided to head to the hospital.

I was at the hospital for 6 hours before my daughter was born.  She was born in a hospital based birth center.  I had no IV, was on the monitor for the first 15 minutes I was there, and then monitored by doppler intermittently.

#30 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

My first birth was a very medicated c-section.  I went in too early (in my opinion) as I didn't know whether or not it was true labour.  I went without medication for 20 hours, and THEN instead of sending me home, they decided to strip membranes to "get things going".  At that point, of course, I wasn't "allowed" to leave.  After 44 hours total, it all ended in an emergency c-section.  Pretty crummy experience.

Needless to say, I was determined to stay home as long as possible the second time around.  I believe I started having labour pains sometime in the night.  I remember eventually getting out of bed, putting on my Abbey Road CD, making a cup of raspberry leave tea, and labouring at home at least until the sun came up.  Probably 3 or 4 hours, total?  By that time, the contractions were unbearable, and by the time we made it to the hospital, I was having contractions a minute apart.  Labour at the hospital wasn't long, and I ended up with a fantastic nurse who totally took the place of a doula and ensured that I wouldn't "cave" and ask for drugs.  I had told her ahead of time I wanted to go medication-free.  She was awesome. 

I do attribute labouring at home to having a successful VBAC.  My only advice is trust your body.  Trust yourself.  I remember being so afraid the first time around.  I had no confidence and allowed the staff to push me around and essentially turn me into a big fat puppet. :P  The second time, I was much more vocal about what I did (and didn't) want.  The baby was actually born with the membranes in tact, after my insistance that the water not be broken!

This time around, I'm hoping for a water birth (or at least labour in the tub) at the hospital with my midwife. =)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page